Elephant In The Room: Module Prices

84 replies to this topic

#41 Errinovar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:23 PM

I would agree that some mech modules could be cheaper because they really don't bring a lot. On the flip side I think Radar Derp should cost 5-10 times more than it does because it is as broken if not more so than seismic ever was. When ppl refer to playing without Radar Derp as hard mode you can be pretty sure it is OP as hell.

That said, I really have little empathy for people who cry about the choice between a new chassis and a module based on cost. It is a cost benefit choice, one is QoL and the other is a "new" experience. If you drop the 6 mil on the module you can use that to benefit all of your mechs, current and future, but you have to wait longer to get your hands on a new mech. Suck it up. The Cbill grind isn't that bad if you are using premium. I'm not a great pilot, but I can knock out 1.5-2.5 million in 2 hours on average. Sure I have bad days where I get 1 mill on 10 drops, but that isn't normal. Play the crap out of your favorite mechs for a month with premium and you will have plenty of cbills to play with.

Edited by Errinovar, 31 January 2015 - 11:26 PM.

#42 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:27 PM

3rd world mechwarrior problems.

#43 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:33 PM

View PostMacster16, on 31 January 2015 - 04:15 PM, said:

I do remember when I was a newbie and I got my first module (adv zoom) - grinding out 15k gxp took long enough, but then I had to buy it for 6mil? And then it was only one item I could use on one mech at once? I almost fell off my chair and I'm sure other new players have felt the same when unlocking their first module. It's a pretty illogical skill system to have and like nothing I've seen in any other game with a skill system.

Haha. I laughed and died a little inside when i had to outfit my first Atlas.

#44 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:03 AM

View PostSaltBeef, on 31 January 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

Only the Penny less broken unwashed care about P2W. Get AJOB Losers!

Perfect World, Nexon, gPotato, Aeria all have p2w features and you can't tell me they have AAA popularity.

People care, not just the poor.

#45 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:22 AM

Russ mentioned in one of the recent town hall meetings that UI improvements coming soon(ish) will have an easier way to switch modules. That would eliminate a lot of the issues.

Personally, I thought the weapon module system was supposed to be more of a tweak than an outright weapons bump, but I guess everyone complaining about extra heat nixed that. I'd like to see a more varied module system. More variety equals more ways to beat/change meta.

#46 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:47 AM

Cbills rewards, double, Modules prices, drop 50%....perfection....or atleast a step or 2 in the right direction.

#47 Shismar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:04 AM

I stopped buying modules about a year ago. Incidentally around the same time I stopped giving money to PGI. Somewhere between my ~40 mechs there are a couple modules, unused except when I play that mechs. Since there is no workable inventory system for modules they are pretty much a waste of CBills I could have purchased another mech or two with.

There are enough money sinks already, CBills and MC, and players spending is capped by their disposable income. Which means that even if you slash prices, usually revenue stays the same as long as there are enough attractive options to spend it. Between mechs, GXp, consumables, modules, camo, and mech bays I do not think that players run out of ways to spend their cash any time soon.

So in my opinion, modules need to either be buy once and use on all mechs or 1/10 of the price to be an option for casual players.

#48 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:15 AM

Either lower the prices or make it a one cost unlock across all your mechs, the current situation is that they add an extra 15million+ CBills to the price of having your mech 'competitive' and that's a massive investment. Keep them pricey as it's end game content, but stop it being as frustratingly grindy as it currently is.

#49 Macster16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 576 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:36 AM

Module costs have also kept me away from CW I might add as well. As a casual player with limited time who only owns one of each module and have to routinely swap them between mechs, the thought of having to buy another 3 radar derps and 3 seismics turns me off. Weapon mods are no big deal (hell, I often forget to equip em), but derp and seismic are game-changing. If acquiring multiples of the same module wasn't so demanding, it would likely also make CW more accessible which, from what I can see, could use a higher population.

#50 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

View PostMacster16, on 01 February 2015 - 01:36 AM, said:

Module costs have also kept me away from CW I might add as well.

No offense but this is pure unadulterated bull plop... <_<

You are fooling yourself if you think one has to fill to the gills on modules to be competitive in CW. You're drinking the intelligentsia Kool-Aid.

The only module anyone "needs" is radar derp and even THAT is secondary to ones play-style.

#51 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:39 PM

Please double or triple the price of all modules. The QQ would be glorious.

#52 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

View PostDaZur, on 01 February 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

You are fooling yourself if you think one has to fill to the gills on modules to be competitive in CW. You're drinking the intelligentsia Kool-Aid.

The only module anyone "needs" is radar derp and even THAT is secondary to ones play-style.

Yeah, man. I routinely see LORDS and EMPs conquer planets from the ACES with no modules and unmastered mechs! Oh wait.

I know lots of groups who've enacted 'must bring modules and mastered mechs to CW'-policies, because underequipped scrubs won't last long against people who bring the proper gear. That's how it used to be back in the 8 manz days, as well.

#53 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:55 PM

View PostDaZur, on 01 February 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

Modules don't matter, until they matter, and if they matter then you probably have them anyway.

No one really needs modules in CW, most of the time it's scrub players. And if they aren't scrubs, you've got little hope of beating them unless you are organisied comp and decked out anyway. In which case you probably have modules :3

View PostVassago Rain, on 01 February 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

Yeah, man. I routinely see LORDS and EMPs conquer planets from the ACES with no modules and unmastered mechs! Oh wait.

Well they could have bean taking planets by beating scrubs. And even if those teams came up against ACES, abd even if they didn't take modules, they probably still win.

Edited by Ghogiel, 01 February 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#54 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:06 PM

Modules are what they are, as stated already here (somewhere) the UI needs to be improved so that you can FIND the modules that you own without going chassis by chassis searching for them.

And I mean hovering over the 'Mechs in the bay, not going to X, click on Y to bring up a different menu that you can search through like you can by going HOME, then INVENTORY, then BATTLEMECHS and searching through your 'Mechs one by one.
I'd suggest something like INVENTORY, MODULES and showing ALL of your available modules, and where they are (and obviously a fast/easy way to open the 'Mech that has it, and remove it) not just showing unequipped modules.

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 01 February 2015 - 12:47 AM, said:

Cbills rewards, double, Modules prices, drop 50%....perfection....or atleast a step or 2 in the right direction.

I'd get on board with that, but then PGI had better turn repair/rearm costs back on.

#55 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:57 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 01 February 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

I know lots of groups who've enacted 'must bring modules and mastered mechs to CW'-policies, because underequipped scrubs won't last long against people who bring the proper gear. That's how it used to be back in the 8 manz days, as well.

Oh, I see... Simply by proxie of LORDS and EMP's module utilization it demonstrates the absolute necessity to do so.

Ever think that it might be a self imposed requirement fostered by the fear of being one-upped and not necessarily and empirically proven metric?

Sometimes I swear if the comp-crowd swore up and down that wearing ruby tap shoes while playing MW:O it would give a player competitive edge we'd be calling more than half of you Dorothy and wondering where Toto went to. :rolleyes:

Like how you tried to slip the "un-mastered mechs" quip into the equation... ^_^

#56 His Holiness Pope Buster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:27 PM

On the bright side, gas prices have gone down significantly where I live.

#57 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:33 PM

View PostDaZur, on 01 February 2015 - 09:57 PM, said:

Oh, I see... Simply by proxie of LORDS and EMP's module utilization it demonstrates the absolute necessity to do so.

Ever think that it might be a self imposed requirement fostered by the fear of being one-upped and not necessarily and empirically proven metric?

Sometimes I swear if the comp-crowd swore up and down that wearing ruby tap shoes while playing MW:O it would give a player competitive edge we'd be calling more than half of you Dorothy and wondering where Toto went to. :rolleyes:

Like how you tried to slip the "un-mastered mechs" quip into the equation... ^_^

Playing without modules is like playing street fighter without using any special moves.

#58 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:42 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 01 February 2015 - 10:33 PM, said:

Playing without modules is like playing street fighter without using any special moves.

At the tippy-top of competitive play I'll agree... When the margin of skill is so narrow between teams, I'll admit it can make the difference between winning and losing. Even at that I think it's more psychological but I have no frame of reference so it ends there.

That said, we're taking about the apex 1% of the player base... For the rest of us, the cost-to-benefit ratio is not there and modules are "optional" not mandatory.

#59 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:45 PM

View PostErrinovar, on 31 January 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

I would agree that some mech modules could be cheaper because they really don't bring a lot. On the flip side I think Radar Derp should cost 5-10 times more than it does because it is as broken if not more so than seismic ever was. When ppl refer to playing without Radar Derp as hard mode you can be pretty sure it is OP as hell.

I still personally think that Radar Dep shouldn't be an 'instant' target loss, it should be a percentage decrease in the amount of time a target on you can be held.

#60 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:47 PM

View PostDaZur, on 01 February 2015 - 10:42 PM, said:

At the tippy-top of competitive play I'll agree... When the margin of skill is so narrow between teams, I'll admit it can make the difference between winning and losing. Even at that I think it's more psychological but I have no frame of reference so it ends there.

That said, we're taking about the apex 1% of the player base... For the rest of us, the cost-to-benefit ratio is not there and modules are "optional" not mandatory.

CW and tier 3+ ghetto matches are as competitive as this game gets.

Modules aren't optional. I know many units who require modules and mastered mechs now, or they won't let you drop with the competitive/semi-comp/serious groups. Even for solo scrubs in the deepest depths of the underhive, having modules is a huge advantage - one enemies will have on you if you don't bring your own, which would equalize the fight.

Like hadokens in street fighter, modules aren't something that only the top 1% use, and the cost is hurting the game. Your post reads like the typical gold elitist excuse I've come to expect from this game. Why do you feel it's good to wall off parts of the game for new and returning players?

At the rate we're going, 2015 won't be the year MWO recovers, but the year MWO closes.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 01 February 2015 - 10:48 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users