• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostBurktross, on 31 January 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

So, what have we learned so far?
MWO's community hates all the words!

GG, viable wallet you got there. How about you pre-order a leet min/maxed placeholder accessibility kit to the early access mass-appealing multiplayer competitive game?

Yeah that's what I thought, casual.

Edit: Literally.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 31 January 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#23 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:04 PM

Farm the pugs.

#24 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:06 PM

LRMs are OP

right up there with
L2P
Get Good (git gud, etc)
Get Rekt,
GGClose

etc

#25 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:09 PM

Minimally viable product.
Soft-launch.
F2P.
Living product.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 31 January 2015 - 04:10 PM.

#26 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

Not one word per se, but still close enough :

"Working as intended"
"HostStateRewind"
"Ghostheat"

#27 Spr1ggan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 31 January 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

I agree, MWO has made "competitive' a bad word. It shouldn't be but when the game-play and balance is driven by a small minority of unnamed "competitive" players, the label gets a little tarnished.

Yes cos it was the comp players that got the ac2 nerfed...*sarcasm*

Edited by Spr1ggan, 31 January 2015 - 04:14 PM.

#28 Carcass23

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 327 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

"balance"

#29 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:29 PM

View PostSpr1ggan, on 31 January 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

Yes cos it was the comp players that got the ac2 nerfed...*sarcasm*

wut?
I must have missed the part about AC2 and its relation to this conversation.
try again, harder this time.

#30 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 31 January 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

GG, viable wallet you got there. How about you pre-order a leet min/maxed placeholder accessibility kit to the early access mass-appealing multiplayer competitive game?

Yeah that's what I thought, casual.

Edit: Literally.

I kind of want to make this my signature, if I can fit it. Do I have your permission?

#31 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 January 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

IDK, I find "meta", "1337", "viable", "minmax", "competitive" all just about as bad.

I've never understood the hate for these terms. This is a game, the objective is to win, there will always be optimal ways to accomplish this. Some people enjoy pushing the game and eeking out all the performance they can get. It's complex problem solving and can be wonderfully entertaining. There is absolutely nothing wrong with min/Maxing or those who enjoy it, they are simply people that enjoy thoroughly exploring the nuts and bolts of the games mechanics.

Video games are, also, effectively complex math problems with a fancy gui. As such there will always be a numerically superior option or method, even for sub-optimal builds there are still numerically advantageous routes to take them. As such the measure of something being competively viable is a useful (if soft) statement regarding it's status in relation to it's peers.

weapon A and weapon B are the same type, weigh the same and use the same slots. Both deal DoT but B deals X more. In this incredibly simplistic example A is not competitively viable and this is useful information to have. A can still be used, it does damage obviously, it may even beat B inside a small sample size but it is still numerically inferior and might need to be looked at.

#32 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 31 January 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

wut?
I must have missed the part about AC2 and its relation to this conversation.
try again, harder this time.

"try harder" lul wut?

"It shouldn't be but when the game-play and balance is driven by a small minority of unnamed "competitive" players, the label gets a little tarnished".

Your words bro...

Edited by Spr1ggan, 31 January 2015 - 04:39 PM.

#33 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 31 January 2015 - 02:47 PM, said:

Casual

Aka bads that can't be bothered to play if it requires any sort of effort or communication.

I think you have a bad concept of casual.

Casual pilots are normally the ones that actually have a real life and can't spend their time frittering their lives away idly before a video game, lol.

I know I'm a casual player. That being said, there are a lot of pilots that can tell you I'm no easy opponent either. ;)

#34 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 31 January 2015 - 04:45 PM, said:

I think you have a bad concept of casual.

Casual pilots are normally the ones that actually have a real life and can't spend their time frittering their lives away idly before a video game, lol.

I know I'm a casual player. That being said, there are a lot of pilots that can tell you I'm no easy opponent either. ;)

The term casual used to serve as the counter to hardcore.

So I was hardcore into street fighter 2 and the alpha series. I played those games to death. My brother, on the other hand, was more casual. He didn't feel like practicing, didn't go to tournaments, and so on, but back in those days, to get into videogames, it was kinda understood that you'd need a base level of effort and understanding. It didn't mean anything other than that I played more, so I'd know more about the games.

Nowadays, casual is a bad word that you apply to a game when it's fit for the lowest common denominator, and hardcore has also become a bad word that applies to people who make your life miserable, are outright addicted to the game in question, and so on.

But that's the world we live in.

In a game like MWO, there's no such thing as 'casual.' Modern day casual doesn't work when applied to a niche game like this.

Remember when PGI made the bold claim that we were no longer the target audience, and they were gonna conquer the casual space, or whatever? That's why we needed all those 3rd person, arm lock, throttle decay nonsense, and nothing came of it. Because games like this will never appeal to a mass market.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 31 January 2015 - 05:05 PM.

#35 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

Overpowered
A lot of people use it as a go to when something kills them instead of using it to describe something that is actually a clear advantage over everythng else.

Edited by Destructicus, 31 January 2015 - 10:46 PM.

#36 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:09 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 31 January 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

The term casual used to serve as the counter to hardcore.

So I was hardcore into street fighter 2 and the alpha series. I played those games to death. My brother, on the other hand, was more casual. He didn't feel like practicing, didn't go to tournaments, and so on, but back in those days, to get into videogames, it was kinda understood that you'd need a base level of effort and understanding. It didn't mean anything other than that I played more, so I'd know more about the games.

Nowadays, casual is a bad word that you apply to a game when it's fit for the lowest common denominator, and hardcore has also become a bad word that applies to people who make your life miserable, are outright addicted to the game in question, and so on.

But that's the world we live in.

In a game like MWO, there's no such thing as 'casual.' Modern day casual doesn't work when applied to a niche game like this.

Remember when PGI made the bold claim that we were no longer the target audience, and they were gonna conquer the casual space, or whatever? That's why we needed all those 3rd person, arm lock, throttle decay nonsense, and nothing came of it. Because games like this will never appeal to a mass market.

*Shrug*

To me, casual simply implies that someone doesn't spend more than four hours a day playing video games.

I figure that the casual players probably get more out of life, although they may not make the gaming geeks happy. :lol:

#37 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 31 January 2015 - 05:09 PM, said:

*Shrug*

To me, casual simply implies that someone doesn't spend more than four hours a day playing video games.

I figure that the casual players probably get more out of life, although they may not make the gaming geeks happy. :lol:

It's my understanding that "casuals" in this game are scum who do not submit to megaunits and act as meat shields for those in TS

#38 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

Nerf!............I feel dirty just typing it.

#39 jlawsl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

All in context of the conversation, but I automatically lose interest in a comment when certain words, phrases or abbreviations are used. Ones that especially get me are examples of laziness on these forums when you can just spell it out-build types with nicknames...uhg:

Wub-half a name here, dakka-anything, meta-something, boom-mech ect. It screams laziness and a lot of the people that use these phases have an air of arrogance in the way they come across. They use such other common phrases as L2P, meta, broken, unbalanced, pug.

Its not everyone, but hell, a lot of these people will go on about how someone else talks, when they are using something as infantile as "dakka" to describe something. I play orks in 40k, but damn, its use here is just annoying-taking a broken language from a make believe race and using it as an adjective. And "wub", thank goodness that horrible dubstep phase is dead, but come on.

I guess its worse in person-at a gamesworkshop, and my friend that plays Dark Angels is about to play a guy. This guy, after asking what army my friend is playing says something like "Oh, so you are playing dangles?"-Which I thought sounded like something you would find in your pants after a bad trip to the toilet. But no, after my friend says "huh?", guy says,"yeah, so the dangles, blah blah blah". Like his little abbreviation was somehow common knowledge and part of the English language. He said it with such confidence and arrogance, that I can't help but see guys one this forum that use the abbreviations the same-self absorbed, smelly neckbeards who's only claim to any accomplishment in life is their kill death ratio(uhg kdr as well). Guess its ptsd.

#40 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:55 PM

Really?
I hear the most disgusting word on forums is "OP".

just kidding.

I'd say the more disgusting term is "paid early access" you are just offering yourself up to a company and making yourself personally invested. if they had Early access totally free you aren't invested or hurt when the devs are just like "we quit" but when you start demanding money you increase disappointment cause problems for the providers and risk ruining your reputation forever.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users