73 replies to this topic

#41 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:00 PM

Personally, it's the word "premade" to designate a group of players dropping together that disgusts me every time I hear or read it. I just hate that word !

#42 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:10 PM

View PostBurktross, on 31 January 2015 - 05:21 PM, said:

It's my understanding that "casuals" in this game are scum who do not submit to megaunits and act as meat shields for those in TS

ROFL

#43 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

I would actually vote for the word Accessibility. When developers and publishers start throwing that word around, it means they clearly want to attract in more players to their IP/Product. However, history shows that almost no Dev (at least to my memory) has ever done this correctly, and has ended up diluting their product; only making a mockery of what it could have been and what it used to be.

quod erat demonstrandum: Ace Combat Assault Horizon.

#44 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 31 January 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

I would actually vote for the word Accessibility. When developers and publishers start throwing that word around, it means they clearly want to attract in more players to their IP/Product. However, history shows that almost no Dev (at least to my memory) has ever done this correctly, and has ended up diluting their product; only making a mockery of what it could have been and what it used to be.

quod erat demonstrandum: Ace Combat Assault Horizon.

Despite my love for the series I would point to the Elder scrolls as an example.
Morrowind was largely complex and had a lot of useless stuff on it, but it had a lot of good and basically everything was or could be used.
Oblivion trimmed the fat, got rid of largely useless spells, weapons, ect ect, but also were forced to get rid of some spells because of their exploitability. However the game was a nice example of how a sequel can trim the fat and get down to business.
Skyrim was basically just a watered down Oblivion with some extra flavor mix added in. Although it held onto themes and its lore the spell system and other things were generally cut back in most areas. Combat was spiced up a bit, and so was the casting system, but your character's stats were simplified down to simple skill system that while it was a bit better than Oblivion's in some areas it was vastly more shallow in complexity, you never felt like you were growing, just learning to hit a bit harder or use a different colored bar to make stronger armor, not much character growth.

Don't get me wrong I love Skyrim and almost all the other elder scrolls games but if I had to pick the one I felt was toned down for the main stream crowd I would have to go with Skyrim. if its any evident by the fact that their youtube page is constantly flooded by pathetic munchkins who think the next game in the series would be "Skyrim 2". I waited for Oblivion, and I waited for Skyrim, you little peons don't get to talk just because your Cerw of duttle comes out ever year.

#45 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:50 PM

View PostBrody319, on 31 January 2015 - 06:42 PM, said:

Despite my love for the series I would point to the Elder scrolls as an example.
Morrowind was largely complex and had a lot of useless stuff on it, but it had a lot of good and basically everything was or could be used.
Oblivion trimmed the fat, got rid of largely useless spells, weapons, ect ect, but also were forced to get rid of some spells because of their exploitability. However the game was a nice example of how a sequel can trim the fat and get down to business.
Skyrim was basically just a watered down Oblivion with some extra flavor mix added in. Although it held onto themes and its lore the spell system and other things were generally cut back in most areas. Combat was spiced up a bit, and so was the casting system, but your character's stats were simplified down to simple skill system that while it was a bit better than Oblivion's in some areas it was vastly more shallow in complexity, you never felt like you were growing, just learning to hit a bit harder or use a different colored bar to make stronger armor, not much character growth.

Don't get me wrong I love Skyrim and almost all the other elder scrolls games but if I had to pick the one I felt was toned down for the main stream crowd I would have to go with Skyrim. if its any evident by the fact that their youtube page is constantly flooded by pathetic munchkins who think the next game in the series would be "Skyrim 2". I waited for Oblivion, and I waited for Skyrim, you little peons don't get to talk just because your Cerw of duttle comes out ever year.

I'll agree with this. While Skyrim was intensely fun, it rather pales into comparison to the titles before it. I often go back to Oblivion now and again myself...

#46 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:51 PM

I think troll is the most misused term on the internet today.

#47 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:51 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 31 January 2015 - 05:09 PM, said:

*Shrug*

To me, casual simply implies that someone doesn't spend more than four hours a day playing video games.

I figure that the casual players probably get more out of life, although they may not make the gaming geeks happy. :lol:

Yeh, this is how i see it too. Waaaay back when I played WoW, my guild broke players up into two main groups. There were "Dedicated" and there were "Casual".
Dedicated are the ones that were on almost 24/7, and were sitting there number crunching because they could. They were expected to join the raids that were scheduled, if you didn't make certain quota, you were demoted to casual, and then needed to reapply as a Dedicated. These guys were more on the competitive edge, they were doing all the experiments to see what ways are most efficient and effective.
Casuals were the ones that were sometimes on. They had kids, busy lives, could only play when they had time. Some were over seas, and had time schedules that didn't always mesh. Casual raids were usually led by one or two Dedicated members that needed training in being a leader or become more rounded in a dungeon. They would also teach the casuals the most effective way to fight.

I digress though, I've always understood casual as a term that meant you can play when you can play. It wasn't a separation of who had more skill, but rather who had more time. As skill is almost always factored by time spent, it's obvious to say the dedicated players were more skillful, but the only reason being is because they had more time. A casual player who is given the same time, would very likely be just as skillful as a dedicated player.

Because of that understanding, thats how I've always known it, and actually how I prefer it. And a neat little bonus in that guild was that dedicated players passed their knowledge down to the casual group. It was also common for casuals to be pulled up into dedicated raids whom were recommended by the leaders that led their raid.

In a PvP game like MWO, passing knowledge down is a very honorable thing to do in my books. It helps maintains a competitiveness on both ends of the spectrum. When you opposition gets better, so do you. So it would be detrimental to shove off players simply because they don't have as much time as you.

I didn't realize I typed so much. Sending it anyways. lol Read at your own risk.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 31 January 2015 - 06:53 PM.

#48 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:00 PM

View PostQuxudica, on 31 January 2015 - 04:36 PM, said:

I've never understood the hate for these terms. This is a game, the objective is to win, there will always be optimal ways to accomplish this. Some people enjoy pushing the game and eeking out all the performance they can get. It's complex problem solving and can be wonderfully entertaining. There is absolutely nothing wrong with min/Maxing or those who enjoy it, they are simply people that enjoy thoroughly exploring the nuts and bolts of the games mechanics.

Video games are, also, effectively complex math problems with a fancy gui. As such there will always be a numerically superior option or method, even for sub-optimal builds there are still numerically advantageous routes to take them. As such the measure of something being competively viable is a useful (if soft) statement regarding it's status in relation to it's peers.

weapon A and weapon B are the same type, weigh the same and use the same slots. Both deal DoT but B deals X more. In this incredibly simplistic example A is not competitively viable and this is useful information to have. A can still be used, it does damage obviously, it may even beat B inside a small sample size but it is still numerically inferior and might need to be looked at.

If that's how you have fun, more power to you. That's not how most people have fun. So forcing that thinking on them? Is why those words garner so much hate from so many.

#49 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 January 2015 - 08:00 PM, said:

If that's how you have fun, more power to you. That's not how most people have fun. So forcing that thinking on them? Is why those words garner so much hate from so many.

Well nice personal attack, but nothing he said was factually inaccurate.

I've been saying since CB, its just numbers.

#50 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:23 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 31 January 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

Well nice personal attack, but nothing he said was factually inaccurate.

I've been saying since CB, its just numbers.

Really, you took that as a personal attack? Wow.

If it's number, I might as well be filing taxes.

#51 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:27 PM

Think the thread title should be "Game Development terms we hate"

#52 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:08 PM

View PostBurktross, on 31 January 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

I kind of want to make this my signature, if I can fit it. Do I have your permission?

Yes you do lol don't even need to give credit. HAVE IT! TAKE IT!

#53 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:49 AM

Nerf is the one word I find the most disgusting.....devs fling that bat around a lil to liberally, and all it really does is shift their meta from one item to the next forcing one thing to get nerfed, then the next and the next and once everything in game has been nerfed once they simply restart the nerf list and proceed.

#54 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:55 AM

Two words: "AAA Game"

No game dev can honestly call themselves that. Only the actual millions of players that play that game can claim that.

Otherwise, it's just another term for "Caveat Emptor".

#55 Attackmack

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:58 AM

I get a George Carlin vibe from this thread, but its all true!

http://youtu.be/Lk_dRzaBoUM

#56 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:05 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 01 February 2015 - 12:55 AM, said:

Two words: "AAA Game"

No game dev can honestly call themselves that. Only the actual millions of players that play that game can claim that.

Otherwise, it's just another term for "Caveat Emptor".

whats a "AAA Game"? A really epic game that has millions of players over the course of many years and still goes strong? Evercrack might be a AAA game.

#57 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:19 AM

I think the worst word in gaming is:

Cheese.

Why? Because it is a derogatory way to refer to something that is effective. When you shovel snow, do you gripe about the guy with a snowblower, saying that he's using cheese? Do you whine about how cheesy it is that someone doing his taxes has all his documents organized, instead of a shoebox full of random receipts? Do you wash your dishes in the sink, with cold water, and no soap because all that other stuff is cheese for people that don't want to get clean dishes in a way you think is "fair"?

Trying to look down on things that work, IMO, is one of the worst thing to happen in gaming.

#58 DaniBot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:20 AM

minimap

#59 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:29 AM

The word I hate the most is 'crutch'.

"Oh, you're doing something that I could do, but I don't want to for some reason. Let me imply that you're a useless cripple if you don't immediately change to be just like me. Nooo, I'm not name-calling. Honest!"

#60 Alek Ituin

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:45 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 January 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

IDK, I find "meta", "1337", "viable", "minmax", "competitive" all just about as bad.

Meta minmaxed builds are the only viable competitive builds for the discerning 1337 comp player.

I can feel your hatred bleeding through my screen...

It is delicious.

Edited by Alek Ituin, 01 February 2015 - 03:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users