Why isn't Harmony Gold jumping down Marvel's throat!?

68 replies to this topic

#21 feor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

View PostRaeven, on 27 November 2011 - 08:34 PM, said:

Ooooo... You see what they did right? They infringed on the copyrights of both HG and Battletech. Quickdraw arm and head with Warhammer the rest of it. So now Battletech and HG have to join forces against Marvel. It's genius and evil at the same time.

"Uniting the world... by ******* everyone off at once"? ;)

#22 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:21 AM

I really wouldn't say that its a Quickdraw head though, looks original enough to me. The spaces where the Gatlings sit are arguable as the Quickdraw's windows though.

Who's up for piloting this frankenmech just for ***** and giggles? I mean, it looks kind of workable, if short ranged and slow. I went for a small cockpit on the second iteration to fit those four guns on the center in the head and CT.

EDIT: Huh? Why can't I post images? Says the post was successful, but image is not there. This board software is weird.

Quickhammer QHM-02R

Mass: 75 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-F
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 7,203,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,564

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 300 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor
Armament:
1 PPC
2 Large Lasers
1 SRM-6
8 Small Lasers
2 Machine Guns
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 114 points 4.00
Internal Locations: 1 RT, 2 LA, 7 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL
Engine: Fusion Engine 300 19.00
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Double Heat Sink 15(30) 5.00
Heat Sink Locations: 2 LT, 1 LA
Gyro: Standard 3.00
Cockpit: Small 2.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 231 14.50
CASE II Locations: 1 RT 1.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 23 35
Center Torso (rear) 11
L/R Torso 16 24
L/R Torso (rear) 8
L/R Arm 12 24
L/R Leg 16 32

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PPC LA 10 3 7.00
SRM-6 RT 4 2 3.00
Large Laser RT 8 2 5.00
3 Small Lasers RT 3 3 1.50
Large Laser LT 8 2 5.00
3 Small Lasers LT 3 3 1.50
2 Small Lasers CT 2 2 1.00
2 Machine Guns HD 0 2 1.00
@SRM-6 (15) RT - 1 1.00
@MG (1/2) (100) RT - 1 0.50
Free Critical Slots: 4

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 8 Points: 16
4 5 3 1 0 3 0 Structure: 6
Special Abilities: CASEII, SRCH, ES, SOA

Edited by Xhaleon, 28 November 2011 - 04:23 AM.

#23 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:23 AM

I don't know why did Harmony gold attack FASA in the first place. Almost every single thing in this world is copyied and nobody cares. And if they wanted to show it's theirs, OK, I would be upset too, but arguing even after the original thief has bankcrupted (I don't know this word right, so please forgive me for this) is a bit .... strange. :)

#24 Aaron DeChavilier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:51 AM

View PostXhaleon, on 28 November 2011 - 04:21 AM, said:

the QuickHammer...

I'd buy that for a c-bill!

I'm serious, petition PGI to have this ultra-rare, periphery frankemech on the market.
hats off to Xhaleon for the unit stats! :)

#25 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:34 AM

More than anything, Im offended by the swastika on the front of a recognizable iconic BT Mech. Yeah offended is the word....

Aside from that, its clear that an artist and an editor at Marvel are either fans of BT or too out of touch with other people's ip and chose to rip off the warhammer. Not only is it a picture of an obvious warhammer with minor changes but, to me, it could nearly pass for the cover of a BT book or video game from the 80s or 90s. But really, its just a picture and poorly drawn at that. If Marvel decided to make a whole series of comics/graphic novels about a futuristic n.a.z.i. mech invasion from an alternate future then maybe someone at HG will notice.

Its interesting to see all the mech activity popping up lately from different corners of the game and media worlds.

Edited by lakedaemon, 28 November 2011 - 07:35 AM.

#26 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:55 AM

View PostAaron DeChavilier, on 28 November 2011 - 06:51 AM, said:

I'd buy that for a c-bill!

I'm serious, petition PGI to have this ultra-rare, periphery frankemech on the market.
hats off to Xhaleon for the unit stats! :)

Actually, now that I look at it, it may be seriously over-sinked. I think those small lasers are better as ER smalls. I'm using dubs sinks anyway. How to justify Civil War tech in MWO's setting though... but I really need that small cockpit to fit those MGs in! Agh!

EDIT: I dun messed with calculations, and it's a tossup; Use standard Small Lasers and you can swap the PPC out for more damage output in a spread pattern for slightly less heat, or use ER Smalls and you get better range but have to drop both Larges to counter the heat, or drop the PPC and shoot for +6 overheat. Ah well...

Edited by Xhaleon, 28 November 2011 - 08:06 AM.

#27 ethnic minority

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:01 AM

The thing with Marvel (and also DC) is that it's not so much as a intended copyright infringement as much as the fact that the people drawing these comics are the same as us: huge nerds whose interests transcend one franchise. This has translated into their artwork.

If you look at other Marvel/DC comics, you'll see homages or even the same designs lifted from other franchises. Deadpool for example, has wielded weapons from Halo on more than one occasion. More so, Japanese mecha references have popped up in Green Lantern from time to time as well. The artists aren't going "hurr durr no-one will ever know". They're smarter than that to blatantly rip off others.

The issue only becomes salient when one party decides to go to court (ala HG-Fasa).

Edited by ethnic minority, 28 November 2011 - 08:01 AM.

#28 Hagan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 100 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:17 AM

A possible reason why they are not jumping down Marvels throat:

If this is from FEAR ITSELF then its likely they wont touch it, this last big arc didn't go down all that well with most fans here in the UK, and although I can't say the same for the USA or the rest of the world, if you use something from another IP without permission and it bombs or just makes a pittance, a court will wont take the case all that seriously. Its only if its an overwhelming success and that particular IP's image made it such an obvious success that they bother.

Don't get me wrong, most companies still go through the process anyway, but the payout is small and the publicity bad for business. Its the old story of "We own that, you used it and it didn't have an effect/made it worse. Do we want to advertise this to a wider audience?"

Then again, maybe hey did have permission. Check the credits of the comic, there may be a footnote.

#29 Shadoe Ryder

• PipPip
  • The Blazing
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

Given the storyline it makes sense. Red Skull - **** Germany thus the emblem.

View Postlakedaemon, on 28 November 2011 - 07:34 AM, said:

More than anything, Im offended by the swastika on the front of a recognizable iconic BT Mech. Yeah offended is the word....

#30 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:38 AM

View Postethnic minority, on 28 November 2011 - 08:01 AM, said:

... the people drawing these comics are the same as us: huge nerds whose interests transcend one franchise.

Remind me to corpse camp you, ok? :)

#31 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

View PostShadoe Ryder, on 28 November 2011 - 08:33 AM, said:

Given the storyline it makes sense. Red Skull - **** Germany thus the emblem.

It makes sense only in context with a weak story. Seriously, BT Mechs? They could have made their mechs look like anything (e.g. futuristic panzerized mech) and would have been MORE in context and in story line. This is pure rip off to the point where it takes away from the storyline. Anyway, I will never dismiss the context of a swastika. It only has one context and doesnt need to be glorifed in any way.

#32 ethnic minority

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

View PostAdridos, on 28 November 2011 - 08:38 AM, said:

Remind me to corpse camp you, ok? :)

What is this I don't even?

#33 feor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

View Postethnic minority, on 28 November 2011 - 02:46 PM, said:

What is this I don't even?

As odd as it seems in this day and age, people still get ticked off when you call them a nerd. We're taking over, but the balance hasn't fully shifted into the nerd camp yet.

#34 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:30 AM

well the reason why harmony gold is not jumping down their throats is maybe because of this
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=robotech+defender&_sacat=0&_odkw=robotech+figure&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
they licensed them the warhammer/tomahawk but we did not license them the quick draw so harmoney gold maybe taunting us
i wish they did not exist sometimes i wish robotechs japan makers (true makers) will get rid of harmony gold and license us the unseens

Edited by Cementblade, 01 December 2011 - 05:31 AM.

#35 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:11 AM

View PostRaeven, on 27 November 2011 - 08:34 PM, said:

Ooooo... You see what they did right? They infringed on the copyrights of both HG and Battletech. Quickdraw arm and head with Warhammer the rest of it. So now Battletech and HG have to join forces against Marvel. It's genius and evil at the same time.

Well Id say it was more of a Archer arm then QD arm, which is still HG.

#36 eXecute

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationIn Space

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:20 AM

Because who owns Marvel? That's right Disney

#37 feor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:12 AM

View PostCementblade, on 01 December 2011 - 05:30 AM, said:

well the reason why harmony gold is not jumping down their throats is maybe because of this
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=robotech+defender&_sacat=0&_odkw=robotech+figure&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
they licensed them the warhammer/tomahawk but we did not license them the quick draw so harmoney gold maybe taunting us
i wish they did not exist sometimes i wish robotechs japan makers (true makers) will get rid of harmony gold and license us the unseens

Why would DC, once upon a time, having a license to publish a Robotech comic have any impact on the legal standing of something obviously ripped off from Robotech by Marvel?

#38 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

oh i keep getting marvel and DC mixed up because of their superheros in tights

#39 eMouse

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

As far as I can tell the only 'original' part of that design is the head. The right arm is a mish-mash of Veritech (Wasp/Stinger) shoulder and arm, and Gladiator (Archer) hand.

The hilarious thing is that it's pretty clear that someone took notice, as the design changes mid-issue in issue 16. There's a 2-page spread with Daredevil running toward one, where the detailing is very clearly the copyright travesty, and on the very next page, there's a second 2-page spread where the designs have suddenly changed significantly, presumably in an attempt to make them similar enough to claim to be the same Mechs, but different enough to avoid a law suit.

After that, the only reappearance of the old design is in a bit of art lifted from a prior issue. The new art that shows the aftermath of that lifted panel clearly shows different parts than the parts that were illustrated previously.

It's like watching Project Phoenix happen in the split second of a page turn.

And, that DC Robotech comic licensed the Dougram designs. None of the Macross designs were used for that comic.

#40 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

I actually followed that particular story arc and was surprised to see that, initially ( or possibly in another series as this plot arc spanned many different marvel series' ) that they actually used the full, un-altered Whammy/Tomahawk. HG is apparently composed of blind men and deafs in every regard except when it comes to watching news of BT/MW to see if we try to use the unseen, because they should've been on this.
Reversley, it could mean they dont care that much about the unseen anymore...
And, well, you know what that means! :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users