Lets Take A Sec To Talk About Comms Discipline

40 replies to this topic

#1 Sprouticus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:33 AM

with VOIP coming, I was hoping to have a polite discussion about how we should handle comms discipline and behavior

as any of the SA folks can tell you, I am a chatty guy. I talk all day long given the chance. But when in battle, I also believe in keeping the chatter to important info. With that in mind, here are my suggestions for basic comms rules we should all try to adhere to and POLITELY ask others to use as well:

In regards to behavior:
  • Don't be a dickl. I wont go into all the ways, but will call out racist, homophobic and sexist crap especially.
  • No music please.
  • Try to avoid hot mics (I fully admit this happens to me sometimes if I am uber focused, I dont ealize that I am holding down the PTT.
  • PTT only (lets hope against hope that this is required.)
  • No bitching. This is a hard one for all of us. We all get frustrated. Someone goes rambo. Someone does not target mechs, someone stops behind you. It will happen. let's try to be polite.
  • If you lose your temper and say something impolite, apologize immediately in both voice and chat (since you were probably muted). We are all human. Admitting your mistake after it occurs is not as good as not making it in the first place, but it goes a long way towards mitigating the bad behavior.
  • Don't complain about loadouts. Whining about LRM's or weird stock loadouts or whatever helps nooone and only fosters discontent.
  • Remember national and cultural differences. What is ok in your country may not be in another.

In regards to actual play calling
  • When calling targets, state the GRID (if needed), CHASSIS and LETTER, and OPEN SECTIONS.
  • If someone calls a push and you are not going to push, SAY SO. It will save them from charging alone.
  • When spotting scouts and flankers, call grid and # of mechs at a minimum.
  • If someone wants to take lead and you are not going to go along, let them know. Just to be respectful. It only takes 2 seconds.

That is all I can think of at the moment. The first set should not really even be necessary, but this is the internet. We are a mature community. We have more of a chance to use social pressure to maintain some level of civility than most games. It is upon each of us to do our best and to encourage others to do so as well.

#2 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:38 AM

Great suggestions. I'll never understand why people don't use push to talk other than laziness or ignorance of the alternative. No one wants to hear a heated argument between spouses, kids screaming, dogs barking, players eating or coughing or just making distracting noises.

And please god, no music. No one wants to hear your music, no matter how good it is, through low quality VOIP.

I'm guessing I'll be muting at least a few people from day one, but I think in game VOIP will be a huge improvement for team communication.

Just realized... o> Fellow Illinoisan!

Edited by Greenjulius, 17 February 2015 - 08:40 AM.

#3 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:38 AM

While that all sounds logical and fine, what you are actually going get is full out trolling for the initial series.

Of course... if everyone is muted by default, what you can't hear can't whine at you. :P

#4 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:39 AM

How many people are really going to use the built-in VOIP?

Most of us have TS and whatnot we use to talk to people that matter anyway, many of us listen to music and relax while pugging, and I'm pretty sure most of the community of this game does not need nor want to hear the crap coming out of each other's mouths 99% of the time.(think about what text chat looks like...yeah..)

I'll continue to use TS just as always, to talk to my unit when we do our CW drops and training nights...no real need to use VOIP in solo queue or anywhere, so it's a wasted feature for myself and a lot of people.

#5 DustySkunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:42 AM

View PostKodyn, on 17 February 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

How many people are really going to use the built-in VOIP?

Most of us have TS and whatnot we use to talk to people that matter anyway, many of us listen to music and relax while pugging, and I'm pretty sure most of the community of this game does not need nor want to hear the crap coming out of each other's mouths 99% of the time.(think about what text chat looks like...yeah..)

I'll continue to use TS just as always, to talk to my unit when we do our CW drops and training nights...no real need to use VOIP in solo queue or anywhere, so it's a wasted feature for myself and a lot of people.

TS is great for units, I agree. Built in VOIP will come in the most handy in the PUG queue where TS isn't really an option (specifically, dropping solo), It will allow people to communicate and coordinate. For those who do not have units (for whatever reason) and still want to be able to work with their team on the fly, this will be great.

I agree though, there will be many reasons not to use built in VOIP during PUGs. However now people have the option to do so, and I can't say that's a bad thing... especially given that you can mute at any time!

Edited by DustySkunk, 17 February 2015 - 08:47 AM.

#6 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostKodyn, on 17 February 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

no real need to use VOIP in solo queue or anywhere, so it's a wasted feature for myself and a lot of people.

I just can't agree with this... I've personally guided groups of green pugs to victory on more than one occasion, but it's difficult to type/direct and be an effective fighter at the same time.

VOIP will change this. I feel that even if it helps me in 10% of matches, it's a big improvement. Because when you overcome an obvious ploy by the matchmaker to hand you a loss, it's such a good feeling.

#7 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:45 AM

or just sum it up in one sentence:

common sense.

#8 Carcass23

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:46 AM

Trolls will be trollin', no matter how much you politely discuss manners and good behavior.

#9 orcrist86

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:46 AM

I have used vox in the past when I have with headphones. Helps keep my fingers where needed. That said, PTT should be default. Also, learn the NATO phonetic alphabet.

A alpha
B bravo
C Charlie
D delta
E echo
F foxtrot
G golf
H hotel
I India
J Juliet
K kilo
L lima
Numbers are pronounced:Numeral Spoken As
0 ZE RO
1 WUN
2 TOO
3 TREE
4 FOW ER
5 FIFE
6 SIX
7 SEV EN
8 AIT
9 NIN ER

Edited by orcrist86, 17 February 2015 - 08:48 AM.

#10 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:47 AM

I can hear the cats meowing and the fart sounds now. Me? I will be playing the cowbell. :lol:

https://www.youtube....e&v=GCd0OjjCz88

Edited by Johnny Z, 17 February 2015 - 08:52 AM.

#11 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:48 AM

I'll use it when not dropping in a large group. VOIP is desperately needed to coordinate CW and even pug drops to a extent.

#12 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:48 AM

But the PUG queue is casual matches...why stress yourself out by having to listen to whatever little kids, trolls, and neckbeards decide to spout BS over comms when you don't have to? lol

As I said, i think a large number of ppl use comms for group stuff, and the ones that do, have em already. I can see this being useful in the rare case of CW pugs who can't find TS info for each of the houses, which would basically mean they just can't read, so they have other issues first...

But why punish yourself and listen to random pug chatter in solo queue, or really anywhere outside of a CW emergency where TS info can't be exchanged quickly?

Seems like a positive feature, that they're willing to add it, for the players, but really not the most important or useful feature compared to just about anything else...we've all worked around having no VOIP for this long, and outside comms will likely continue to work better anyway.

#13 CMDR Argo

• PipPip
  • The Devout
  • The Devout
  • 22 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAntigo,Wisconsin

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:57 AM

View Postorcrist86, on 17 February 2015 - 08:46 AM, said:

I have used vox in the past when I have with headphones. Helps keep my fingers where needed. That said, PTT should be default. Also, learn the NATO phonetic alphabet.

A alpha
B bravo
C Charlie
D delta
E echo
F foxtrot
G golf
H hotel
I India
J Juliet
K kilo
L lima
Numbers are pronounced:Numeral Spoken As
0 ZE RO
1 WUN
2 TOO
3 TREE
4 FOW ER
5 FIFE
6 SIX
7 SEV EN
8 AIT
9 NIN ER

Why is it when you say the numbers that way I think of "The Count" on Sesame Street :)

#14 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:57 AM

View PostSprouticus, on 17 February 2015 - 08:33 AM, said:

with VOIP coming, I was hoping to have a polite discussion about how we should handle comms discipline and behavior

as any of the SA folks can tell you, I am a chatty guy. I talk all day long given the chance. But when in battle, I also believe in keeping the chatter to important info. With that in mind, here are my suggestions for basic comms rules we should all try to adhere to and POLITELY ask others to use as well:

In regards to behavior:
  • Don't be a dickl. I wont go into all the ways, but will call out racist, homophobic and sexist crap especially.
  • No music please.
  • Try to avoid hot mics (I fully admit this happens to me sometimes if I am uber focused, I dont ealize that I am holding down the PTT.
  • PTT only (lets hope against hope that this is required.)
  • No bitching. This is a hard one for all of us. We all get frustrated. Someone goes rambo. Someone does not target mechs, someone stops behind you. It will happen. let's try to be polite.
  • If you lose your temper and say something impolite, apologize immediately in both voice and chat (since you were probably muted). We are all human. Admitting your mistake after it occurs is not as good as not making it in the first place, but it goes a long way towards mitigating the bad behavior.
  • Don't complain about loadouts. Whining about LRM's or weird stock loadouts or whatever helps nooone and only fosters discontent.
  • Remember national and cultural differences. What is ok in your country may not be in another.

In regards to actual play calling
  • When calling targets, state the GRID (if needed), CHASSIS and LETTER, and OPEN SECTIONS.
  • If someone calls a push and you are not going to push, SAY SO. It will save them from charging alone.
  • When spotting scouts and flankers, call grid and # of mechs at a minimum.
  • If someone wants to take lead and you are not going to go along, let them know. Just to be respectful. It only takes 2 seconds.

That is all I can think of at the moment. The first set should not really even be necessary, but this is the internet. We are a mature community. We have more of a chance to use social pressure to maintain some level of civility than most games. It is upon each of us to do our best and to encourage others to do so as well.

Given that no one will understand my accent, I will deliver whatever verbal abuse that I wish :D

#15 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:59 AM

Say "meow" as you talk as many times as you can over the com without it being noticed.

#16 Sprouticus

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:01 AM

View PostKodyn, on 17 February 2015 - 08:48 AM, said:

But the PUG queue is casual matches...why stress yourself out by having to listen to whatever little kids, trolls, and neckbeards decide to spout BS over comms when you don't have to? lol

As I said, i think a large number of ppl use comms for group stuff, and the ones that do, have em already. I can see this being useful in the rare case of CW pugs who can't find TS info for each of the houses, which would basically mean they just can't read, so they have other issues first...

But why punish yourself and listen to random pug chatter in solo queue, or really anywhere outside of a CW emergency where TS info can't be exchanged quickly?

Seems like a positive feature, that they're willing to add it, for the players, but really not the most important or useful feature compared to just about anything else...we've all worked around having no VOIP for this long, and outside comms will likely continue to work better anyway.

Because I like to win.
Because the more complex the tactical arrangement (relative to the type of game) the better?
Because it could save your ass. Or you could save someone else's ass.

Yes, pug games are casual. And yes we should remember that. That is why I did not suggest that people follow orders when people call a charge or want to take lead. Everyone has the right to do whatever they like. But within that scope there is still HUGe room for coordination and team play.

I do agree that it will be much more useful in the group queue and the CW queue. Especially with a LFG function coming soon.

#17 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:02 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 17 February 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

or just sum it up in one sentence:

common sense.

Are you, uh, new to the internet?

#18 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:03 AM

More of the NATO alphabet for those playing CW...

A Alpha
B Bravo
C Charlie
D Delta
E Echo
F Foxtrot
G Golf
H Hotel
I India
J Juliet
K Kilo
L Lima
M Mike
N November
O Oscar
P Papa
Q Quebec
R Romeo
S Sierra
T Tango
U Uniform
V Victor
W Whiskey
X X-ray
Y Yankee
Z Zulu

Other general VOIP tips:

Call grid numbers with number of mechs seen (many or lots is acceptable in a panic)
Call out weak points on targets if possible to focus fire (Alpha Jager left shoulder open)
Call out loadouts if possible when first sighted (Kilo, UAC boat direwolf, watch out)

Know how to mute people
Check your mic level
Be a tolerable human being
Help new people, we were all new once and god knows this game needs more players. Driving them away will only kill the game faster.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are more good and helpful people out there than bad.

Know that what you say on voip can get you reported and banned just the same as if you typed it out.

Edited by Big Tin Man, 17 February 2015 - 09:05 AM.

#19 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:05 AM

I agree with you in concept Sprout, I think I'm just very jaded by the MWO community I've experienced, and online gaming communities of the past 10+ years haven't done much more for my hope.

I'm basically just preparing myself for keeping it turned off, because with the amount of troll text chat in this game, and the maturity level of a lot of players, I see VOIP turning into one of those features that everyone has to keep off at all times just to stay sane and avoid the trolls/abuse.

Maybe the community will surprise me....but I strongly doubt it lol.

Your points in the original post are still good though, for those that are willing to follow them.

#20 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:10 AM

MODS.

Pin ... this ... thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users