93 replies to this topic

#41 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

im really enjoying the 10k with a 235xl (iirc) and 2 erppc, 2 jj - its high risk, but im finding the quirks are keeping me cool enough for 2 alphas on tourmaline and the I can single fire as I escape to cool down. other lights have been kinda hit or miss with fighting. if im caught hot im going down, but if cool, I have been able to hold my own so far.

the R with 4medpulse and a srm works good, but im still trying to find my way with the Z. I don't think the panther will ever reach top tier status but that's what also keeps it kinda special, its good enough to be dangerous with a small amount of practice.

#42 HelBound

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

The one thing I'm not getting on the 10K is the 2 missile hardpoints in the CT, how does one even use those missile hardpoints with an engine. Sure you can manage 1 SRM 2/4 etc but there is no way to fit 2 missile 'launchers'. That is unless PGI is planning something that makes it work. Otherwise Id rather see the missile hardpoints moved about a bit.

#43 Zwergonfire

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

View PostHelBound, on 19 February 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

The one thing I'm not getting on the 10K is the 2 missile hardpoints in the CT, how does one even use those missile hardpoints with an engine. Sure you can manage 1 SRM 2/4 etc but there is no way to fit 2 missile 'launchers'. That is unless PGI is planning something that makes it work. Otherwise Id rather see the missile hardpoints moved about a bit.

Another person was asking this as well.

You have to downgrade from Artemis, then you can fit 2x SRM4 or 2.

#44 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:36 PM

The spread on SRM2/4 isn't bad enough that Artemis is essential hardware, and it's a full ton you can then spend elsewhere. Four tubes is the most you can bring to the table with it in place, and that's just not enough to justify the tonnage or the extra crit.

#45 Flywheels

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:11 AM

I have been trying my 9R out with a PPC, 3 small lasers and a SRM4. It's not my Huggin but it is fun.

#46 MarkFBD

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:07 AM

View Postshidageki, on 18 February 2015 - 09:21 AM, said:

So, I am working with a "break the meta" or a "clan buster" type idea. Not as a hard thought, but just "If I can't run it like other lights, I will run it the opposite".

SOooo....the 10k I switched to a Pack Hunter motif, with a single er ppc and as much speed and jj as I could. It does well when I play it right, i.e. outside the range of being shot back at, as a true support/sniper mech.

The 8z I ran as a Kit Fox Killer using multiple weapons and a standard engine. It has not been tested as much, but it DOES kill kit foxes, and to a lesser extent most clan lights. swapping the streaks for standard srm2's was the best choice I made.

Would love some feed back, just due to the uncertain nature of the game.

I don't understand what designates this as a 'kit fox killer"

#47 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:41 AM

Havent had much time with mine yet and only the 10K has DHS but anyway.

10K max speed dual erppc cus why not.

8z I was planning on 2LL 2ssrm2 but now I want that triple LL build!!!

as for the 9R I am thinking 2ml 2mpl and a lrm10 with 3tons ammo http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0ccf5ea083ed350

#48 percolated1

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUpper left coast of the USA

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

I have only tried the 10K so far. I dropped the 250XL from one of the Enforcers into her, kept the ERPPC, and went with 8 JJ and dual AMS, with UAV and arty consumables in. I love being a pest in this thing, though I am sorely tempted to swap the ERPPC for a LPL. I've had a couple 300 damage drops and not many kills, but I've been disrupting/stalling flanks and tackling lances on the regular with it, so my win percentage in her has been better than average as that stuff can win fights, well, provided your pug teammates don't just ignore your UAV blips and go wandering all over the map instead...

#49 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

My 9R:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e369df91c47caff

I only ran this once I got speed tweak on it..but man o man...

#50 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:03 AM

Im liking the Panther as much as I thought I would.

8Z with 2 LLs it is a beast. Super quick LL burn times make this mech just as viable as the 3L, minus the speed and ECM of course.

9R with 4 MPL and the srm4 is pretty beastly. Once again the burn times are what makes this mech shine.

10k with 2 erppcs is meh for me. It just doesn't fit my play style like the other 2 variants do I guess. It does the sniper thing really well especially with the velocity quirks. However, without ecm cover you're just too easy to spot for my liking, and because of your speed it makes it very difficult to get away when other lights harrass you.

Overall I think the Panther is a good mech that only suffers from it's speed. It takes a more cautious playstyle than other IS lights as you can be chased down by pretty much any light killer build out there. Also I would have to check on this, but I think the Panther's yaw gives it more range of motion than any other mech currently in the game. Damn near 360° visibility from what I can tell. That gives this mech a lot of options when kiting from a superior foe.

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 20 February 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

I did this, and can tell you right now that that third LL adds so much heat it's counterproductive to your overall DPS. It can fill the mid range sniper role, but for me it sacrifices way to much heat efficiency to run well. You can make it work, but you're sacrificing armor and speed in order to do so.

Edited by Basskicker, 22 February 2015 - 12:44 AM.

#51 Bloody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 569 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:20 AM

At best it is an average mech. There is nothing is does as better or even equal to a Raven ( Sniper ) or Firestarter ( Brawler/Killer ) , Maybe if it had 2 more Missile points. All in all, another fun but pointless addition.

#52 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:36 AM

8Z with 2 LL and whatever heatsinks fit has worked best for me.
On a city map with lots of hard corners it really shines.

Kind of disgraceful but I did my best damage score ever in it while still working on basics.
Better than I have ever done in 4 mastered Firestarters.
River City night, worked well for its corner peeking.

Elited the 10K with 2 ERPPC, but its really overheating too quick so should try dropping one, medium laser or something and more heatsinks so I can put out more overall damage.

#53 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:34 AM

View PostBloody, on 22 February 2015 - 06:20 AM, said:

At best it is an average mech. There is nothing is does as better or even equal to a Raven ( Sniper ) or Firestarter ( Brawler/Killer ) , Maybe if it had 2 more Missile points. All in all, another fun but pointless addition.

I'm forced to agree with you on this one. Resistance wise, while the Enforcer has a defined role as a Support or Flanker, the Panther really doesn't do anything that the other lights can't already do with better results. Perhaps the Panther was just a bad pick to begin with.

Myself, I'm currently trying to basic my Panthers and it's a frustrating ordeal.

#54 RomuRotta

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

Well, I don't understand complains about panthers cos I love to play all variants.

Weaponry is simple MPLs and SRMs.

Or replacing SRM with NARC cos there is so many missile boats during The Challenge and you get nice amount of exp and c-bills when you help your team to win.

Edited by RomuRotta, 22 February 2015 - 02:34 PM.

#55 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:55 PM

I can't get a PPC version that just doesn't overheat superfast, so I made this.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d38257c62b5f662

It's more effective and heat manageable than expected.

#56 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:31 PM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 20 February 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

That 3xLL build runs way too hot and you need to either use a smaller engine or remove around a 1 1/2-2 tons of armor. I tested alot, by now, with the Panther. Even 2 LL's are too hot for my taste, as the 8Z doesn't have any heat reduction quirks. I'd suggest 1LL at most. (Disclaimer: but that's me)

#57 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:33 PM

View Postk05h3lk1n, on 22 February 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

That 3xLL build runs way too hot and you need to either use a smaller engine or remove around a 1 1/2-2 tons of armor. I tested alot, by now, with the Panther. Even 2 LL's are too hot for my taste, as the 8Z doesn't have any heat reduction quirks. I'd suggest 1LL at most. (Disclaimer: but that's me)

Yep. Till the Z and the R get main gun heat reductions, we're going to see them as inferior jenners or big and slow commandos. The JR7-D and K, heck, even the F outperform them, and without the speed, the commando is at least equal to them.

It's too bad because they are fun.

Edited by Kjudoon, 22 February 2015 - 03:34 PM.

#58 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 22 February 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

The JR7-D and K, heck, even the F outperform them, and without the speed, the commando is at least equal to them.

No, both mentioned Jenners have minimal quirks and I perform better in my Panthers. I own those 2 Jenners, they were my first mechs.

#59 A_Velociraptor

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

Here's a nice build i made runs a little hot and with not alot of ammo feel free to drop the engine size or one of the SRMs for more heatsinks/ammo
PNT-10K http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c6cecc12249001a

#60 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:15 PM

I just finished the Weekend Champion Challenge using Panthers only (well, 25 points is where I stopped). I'm too lazy to smurfy these builds but you can probably figure it out:

8Z - 3 LL
9R - 1 LPL, 3 MPL
10k - 1 ERPPC, 2 SRM4

The 9R was definitely most successful. I love the wubs. The 8Z 3LL build has great potential when I unlock 2x Basics. The 10K is my least favourite right now but I plan to upgrade to 2 ERPPC once I've got it mastered. It is the build I initially tried but found it way too hot.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users