Troubleshooting VoIP

66 replies to this topic

#41 Rededevil

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:42 AM

This is a little different, but some might find it helpful (I sent this to support and they have not gotten back yet with a response, but it has only been two days so no worries):
When I used my bluetooth headset I found that the audio quality dropped to a very low mono mode whenever the game started.. It took all other services with it such as media players, etc. also. As a result I did some research and found the following entry:
The bluetooth headset is being forced into a low-quality mode by the software. A lot of bluetooth headsets will swap over to the low-quality mode when something tries to access the bluetooth microphone. Try turning off the game's voice chat mode or force voice chat to use some other audio input/output. If you're using Vista or 7, you may want to go to the Recording options and take the bluetooth headset's microphone off of the communications and default modes.
See this entry to find the source of my solution:
http://us.battle.net...opic/1765534471

Here is the Forum post this is in regard to:
http://mwomercs.com/...sound-with-mwo/
I hope you can fix the problem easily as it would be great to be able to use my microphone in the game as well.

#42 AThousandD

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:45 AM

Hi,

there seems to be a bug with VoIP playback volume levels. Changing it is not persistent and will reset the volume to defult 0 dB after restarting the game, even though the slider will still visually be at whatever volume you set it to. Would it be possible to have the slider remember the setting and the game reflect that?

Thanks!

#43 BlackHeroe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKasselhague

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:43 PM

Having a bad time with VoIP, not that its yust working sometimes - in the last 3 days i got it only to work 1 time out of 50 or more matches. Ive even stopped tryin to microphone check now, as it seems to be broken for me (and no its not my microphone, its running still finely - i also made all suggestions above).
And if you ask me VoIP usage gone down these days by most of the playin people. Its one of the necessariest things for tactics and it should get really more priority. It dont have to be all clear or on a great bandwidth, but it must function. (tipping is not an alternative when its most needed)

Edited by BlackHeroe, 13 August 2015 - 03:45 PM.

#44 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

Alright, having just reloaded the game, checked my Panda Anti-virus, to see if that's what was interfering, and ensuring I went through all of the steps I could for this machine, with the OS it has, I can tell you that I had VoIP in-game for about three hours on the first day I loaded it, and not since. It was working GREAT on the first day, and then it just stopped working. What gives, guys?

#45 Duke Ragnar

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:00 AM

My issue with VOIP is that I can't get PTT to work. I have tried every suggestion in this thread and many others. Most of them seem to relate to other issues but WTF tried them anyway, no joy. I can always hear, but the "talking" icon never changes and my player name never shows up in game.

PTT works fine in TS3 with the key normally assigned to in-game PTT.

A side issue is that I have reported this problem several times to "Technical Support" over the last few months and have never got any sort of reply.

Ragnar

#46 QuaxDerBruchpilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 319 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:49 AM

I have the same Problem as Ragnar describes .. I can bind whatever key to the "Radio" function, it seems I simply cannot activate PTT. Or at least I assume so, as I would think I should see my name in-game as well as the speaker icon changing Color whehitting te PTT key.

#47 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:05 PM

View PostQuax1102, on 30 November 2015 - 03:49 AM, said:

I have the same Problem as Ragnar describes .. I can bind whatever key to the "Radio" function, it seems I simply cannot activate PTT. Or at least I assume so, as I would think I should see my name in-game as well as the speaker icon changing Color whehitting te PTT key.

I have this exact same problem. It worked 2 months ago though.

#48 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:22 PM

View PostRipper X, on 06 December 2015 - 09:05 PM, said:

I have this exact same problem. It worked 2 months ago though.

Chalk up another to this issue. I tried changing the key I had it bound to but that did nothing. Ensured the VOIP check box was enabled and the appropriate device selected but nothing. Might do some troubleshooting this weekend.

#49 Xakthos

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:48 PM

View PostGrimlox, on 10 December 2015 - 04:22 PM, said:

Chalk up another to this issue. I tried changing the key I had it bound to but that did nothing. Ensured the VOIP check box was enabled and the appropriate device selected but nothing. Might do some troubleshooting this weekend.

I've spent the evening trying various combinations. It seems the PTT is totally broken for me. My mic/headset works fine in other games and I an hear others when they talk I just can't speak and have anyone hear.

#50 M i s t y

• PipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTamworth

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

Was in a match ,sound stopped working ( I do not use VOIP ) . Now windows sound does not work . Nothing has sound any more Posted Image . Anyone else ?

#51 Jenovah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:42 AM

for some reason my PTT wont activate.... rebinded it a bunch, changed settings, it shows a microphone in the tab roster, just wont activate.....

#52 Hypereia

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:25 AM

SAME PROBLEM. Pressing the VOIP key does not activate VOIP for me, it did a few weeks ago before the game might have had an update...

My settings in Windows are correct, I'm using correct recording default device, also, in-game the settings are correct too. Yes, VOIP is enabled in-game, and I've tried everything, the VOIP transmit icon won't even light up; whereas, I had no issues before...

#53 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:21 AM

View PostHypereia, on 31 December 2015 - 02:25 AM, said:

SAME PROBLEM. Pressing the VOIP key does not activate VOIP for me, it did a few weeks ago before the game might have had an update...

My settings in Windows are correct, I'm using correct recording default device, also, in-game the settings are correct too. Yes, VOIP is enabled in-game, and I've tried everything, the VOIP transmit icon won't even light up; whereas, I had no issues before...

Have you tried the Voip shuffle? Uncheck voip, save, recheck voip, save and then test it.

#54 Duke Ragnar

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:14 AM

OK All,

I have found and fixed my PTT problem with help from Alexander at PGI.

The problem is that when PGI instituted the TS3 SDK they left the "on by default" Threshold Detection function active. This is a feature intended to be used in conjunction with "Voice Activation" to reduce unintended transmissions. That feature is not germane to PTT operation.

So what is happening is that in addition to pushing your PTT button, the system has to "hear" a certain minimum level of sound before it activates. If your setup has a significant amount of background noise, that will generally be enough to break the minimum level threshold and the PTT button appear to work as expected.

However if your setup is fairly quiet (minimal background noise) PTT only activates when you push the button AND speak.

Alexander indicated that he will recommend disabling this "feature" in PGI's TS3 setup so that PTT will work as it should but no telling when or if that will actually happen.

Ragnar

#55 Hypereia

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:53 AM

View PostXphR, on 31 December 2015 - 03:21 AM, said:

Have you tried the Voip shuffle? Uncheck voip, save, recheck voip, save and then test it.

Yeah, more than once, didn't do anything.

Duke Ragnar: Who the hell thought it was a good idea to implement voice gating into the PTT setting? Usually it's either/or. I cannot get the voice gate (as it's currently implemented) to release by talking at normal volumes, if what you said was accurate.

That crap really needs to be removed, needs to be how it was.

Edited by Hypereia, 31 December 2015 - 07:02 AM.

#56 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

View PostDuke Ragnar, on 31 December 2015 - 06:14 AM, said:

OK All,

I have found and fixed my PTT problem with help from Alexander at PGI.

The problem is that when PGI instituted the TS3 SDK they left the "on by default" Threshold Detection function active. This is a feature intended to be used in conjunction with "Voice Activation" to reduce unintended transmissions. That feature is not germane to PTT operation.

So what is happening is that in addition to pushing your PTT button, the system has to "hear" a certain minimum level of sound before it activates. If your setup has a significant amount of background noise, that will generally be enough to break the minimum level threshold and the PTT button appear to work as expected.

However if your setup is fairly quiet (minimal background noise) PTT only activates when you push the button AND speak.

Alexander indicated that he will recommend disabling this "feature" in PGI's TS3 setup so that PTT will work as it should but no telling when or if that will actually happen.

Ragnar

Sadly this is not the whole issue though, it may be what is stopping some peoples communication, there are other issues at play. For those of us that need to do the PTT shuffle each time we launch the client (or occasionally multiple times per game{though personally that issues has calmed down slightly}) even yelling with the button pressed results in no transmission.

#57 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:37 AM

I use a clip on microphone because my Headset makes noise and the cable is somewhat broken causing buzzing in Teamspeak. The clip-on mic has a better quality and works well in TS without complains from my team members.
It was also working in game but I always had to speak really loud and towards the clip on mic to get it activated after pressing push-to-talk button, and even then only few words came through. The voice detection is really bad and changing the record level didn't make it better but even worse. Even with record level pulled completely to the right on maximum level, it gets activated only sometime and only with loud speaking into the direction of the microphone. In TS I have all record levels set to 0db to reduce buzzing and static noise and it works pretty well there.

#58 Zibmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:26 AM

View PostXphR, on 31 December 2015 - 02:15 PM, said:

Sadly this is not the whole issue though, it may be what is stopping some peoples communication, there are other issues at play. For those of us that need to do the PTT shuffle each time we launch the client (or occasionally multiple times per game{though personally that issues has calmed down slightly}) even yelling with the button pressed results in no transmission.

I have had increasingly difficult times getting mine to work. The VOIP shuffle now has no effect. I have gone with every option known to man and it has made no (as in zero) difference. PTT button(s - I have tried multiple) don't seem to even recognize that I have a mic attached as when I push it, my name doesn't appear. At all. It should not matter in the slightest whether I say anything. Pushing the PTT button should, well, ACTIVATE my ability to use a mic.

This is the only game / VOIP system (TS3, MWO, Discord, RaidCall, Ventrilo, Skype) in which my mic simply does nothing.

#59 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

View PostZibmo, on 09 January 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

It should not matter in the slightest whether I say anything. Pushing the PTT button should, well, ACTIVATE my ability to use a mic.

This is the only game / VOIP system (TS3, MWO, Discord, RaidCall, Ventrilo, Skype) in which my mic simply does nothing.

It should not matter but, at this time it does in fact. With the current systems setup using PTT also has a sound threshold that must be met. They have admitted this may be part of some of the issues people are having and are said to be turning off the threshold setting as the default.

Personally I still have to do the shuffle at least once each time I start the client and randomly throughout the night of play (so I think the threshold is not part off the issues I am observing).

Edited by XphR, 09 January 2016 - 09:26 PM.

#60 DaciaWolf

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:08 PM

I have 2 soundcards. After the new patch all game sounds are through my primary soundcard (external, connected to headgear) but the voice com is through my onboard soundcard. Everything was fine before the patch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users