Why Are Mechs Just Walking Tanks?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Darsh

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:50 PM

I love the game so far, its come a long way and I've been very excited about playing another Mech Warrior / Battletech game in a loooooong time.

However, One thing that would make this game even more EPIC would be if these Giant Bipedal Mechs were more than simple Tanks.

They have legs.. Let them have the full range of motion that Legs can afford.. or else. whats the point? might as well just have Tracks and build much cheaper Giant Tanks on tracks.

I want my Mech to be able to Sidestep, Crouch or Kneel down. Also, if i'm all out of weapons, or ammo, Why can't I throw a Front Thrust Kick and try to cause some kind of melee damage instead of standing around completely useless? Mechs with Articulated Arms should be able to throw punches or hold melee weapons and go in Melee if they have to.

I remember in Battletech, some mechs had melee 1h Axes they could wield... Of course.. some mechs don't have Articulated arms.. and have giant cannons instead of arms. so they can't throw punches.

This would allow for alot more variability between different types of mechs and I think it would make things ALOT more interesting. Because right now.. these mechs are just tanks.. and the legs are just there for show.

Edited by Darsh, 23 February 2015 - 01:51 PM.

#2 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:18 PM

They also use to have collision in game....this is a FPS so its more shooter geared.

Also the kneel down feature has been in other games yet to make its way to this one though.

#3 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:37 PM

There was some work done on this in closed beta but it ended up being a net-code, animation, and balancing nightmare so it was disabled.

#4 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:39 PM

never seen a tank jumping around lol

#5 Darsh

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostAlienized, on 23 February 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

Give a Tank some jump jets and you will ;)

View PostHlynkaCG, on 23 February 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

There was some work done on this in closed beta but it ended up being a net-code, animation, and balancing nightmare so it was disabled.

They really should look into doing more work on that. Even just Sidestepping for now would be a step in the right direction, Allowing to use buildings and terrain as cover more effectively.

#6 JadeTimberwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:56 PM

side stepping is in the game, walk one way and torso twist. this is true for all incarnations of Battletech/Mechwarrior. Kneeling we may see and we may get collision damage back. I believe the Devs will even look into physical attacks (kicking, punching, using a blown off arm as a club) but for now walking tanks is what we have.

#7 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

View PostAlienized, on 23 February 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

Posted Image

Battletech's got those, too!

I wouldn't mind seeing a kneeling mode (to get more out of cover), and a true "sidestep" is actually the domain of quad-legged 'Mechs, the so-called "lateral shift". Sadly, MWO's coders lack the ability to do a quad model properly, or the idea of being tricksy with a hull-down, skittering Scorpion would be irresistible.

#8 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:20 PM

@Wandere
You remember those to huh?
always loved using them in games and annoyed the hell out of people and then they became rare, lol.

#9 Darsh

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:52 PM

View PostJadeTimberwolf, on 23 February 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

side stepping is in the game, walk one way and torso twist. this is true for all incarnations of Battletech/Mechwarrior. Kneeling we may see and we may get collision damage back. I believe the Devs will even look into physical attacks (kicking, punching, using a blown off arm as a club) but for now walking tanks is what we have.

Thats definitely NOT the same as Side stepping. Legs should be able to sidestep, regardless of how slowly a mech would side step, it should still be able to do so. If they don't want to code the animation for legs side stepping, they could just do the EASY old school Mech Warrior fix, and allow mechs with jump jets to "side step" using the jump jets. But that would only benefit the Jump jet mechs.. and I find that to be a cheap fix.

View Postwanderer, on 23 February 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

Posted Image

Battletech's got those, too!

I wouldn't mind seeing a kneeling mode (to get more out of cover), and a true "sidestep" is actually the domain of quad-legged 'Mechs, the so-called "lateral shift". Sadly, MWO's coders lack the ability to do a quad model properly, or the idea of being tricksy with a hull-down, skittering Scorpion would be irresistible.

yeah.. the advantage of a quad mech is that they can move just as fast in every direction. Im not asking to be able to side step at high speeds. even side stepping at 10 km/h is fine.. but it would just make sense on a bipedal Mech.

#10 JadeTimberwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

The point is that bipedal mechs in the BT universe don't sidestep, they torso twist and walk. If memory serves they didn't even kneel in the TT game. However kicking and punching happened.

#11 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:19 PM

Kneel no crouch yes(unless TW changed that).
they can also prop themselves up if they are on the ground with their arm/s to fire their weapons.

one of the things I liked about BT was the fact that they are walking tanks and cannot do things like you see in anime like gundamn or VTs from the company that shall not be named.

if you think about it BT is something that is a bit more realistic than any mech style thing out there and that is what drew me to the game.

Edited by VinJade, 23 February 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#12 Darsh

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:12 PM

View PostVinJade, on 23 February 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

they can also prop themselves up if they are on the ground with their arm/s to fire their weapons.

one of the things I liked about BT was the fact that they are walking tanks and cannot do things like you see in anime like gundamn or VTs from the company that shall not be named.

if you think about it BT is something that is a bit more realistic than any mech style thing out there and that is what drew me to the game.

If you want realistic, Asimo (the honda robot) can side step ;)

#13 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:51 AM

View PostVinJade, on 23 February 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

"Crouching" was a loose term that could encompass kneeling as well. BT is purposfully vague on many of the details in combat.

For example, mechs don't just move in a "straight line" in BT, but are considered to be bending and weaving through terrain within the 30 meters of open space each hex has. Its also why a mech that chooses to "stay stationary" isn't considered "immobile" in game terms, as its still considered to be moving in and out of cover within the 30 meters of the hex.

Make no mistake, mechs ARE supposed to be more mobile then they are in this game. They should be able to hop up small inclines at their waist, engage in CQC, utilize their hands as full manipulators, and climb up to their own height if they need to (As per the original rules.) But they are DEFINITELY not as nimble as the OP suggests, and are indeed treated more like bipedal tanks in universe then some anime super-mech.

#14 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:58 AM

Battlemechs are walking tanks.

It's the one thing the makes them different from gundams and other anime-inspired giant robots.

There's always been somewhat of a divide in Battletech with those that simply wanted the game to be a rip off of the anime inspired super robots and those that wanted them to be more like mechanized armored vehicles that are more akin to tanks than robots.

It's a subtle distinction that's lost on many, but I tend to to lean more towards the mechanized armored vehicle angle and less toward the giant stompy robot angle...but that's just my personal preference.

#15 Darsh

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:37 AM

Make no mistake. Im not thinking that Mechs need to be nimble like anime mechs. I never mentioned anything about anime mechs. Side stepping has nothing to do with anime. Its a simple body movement afforded by bipedal humanoid bodies. Im not saying we need to have flying mechs that fly at 100 km/h in every direction, and do diving rolls to avoid bullets. But there is NO reason why a Bipedal robot shouldn't be able to slowly sidestep in each direction.

#16 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:45 AM

We need side stepping so that proper mech dance moves can be done.

I would like to see a mech line dancing happen.

*envisions THE BEEF doing a mecharena video*

#17 Pz_DC

• Private
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

There is no poll so forced to answer to say AGREE!.

#18 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:18 AM

I kind of enjoy the lumbering stiffness of mechs. It adds flavor to the franchise and further separates it from the repetitive FPS clones that crowd the video game market.

EDIT: You know the ones I'm talking about. Call of Battle Duty 17: Future Spectrum Ghost Operative 3.

Edited by Voivode, 24 February 2015 - 08:20 AM.

#19 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:53 AM

View PostDarsh, on 24 February 2015 - 07:37 AM, said:

Make no mistake. Im not thinking that Mechs need to be nimble like anime mechs. I never mentioned anything about anime mechs. Side stepping has nothing to do with anime. Its a simple body movement afforded by bipedal humanoid bodies. Im not saying we need to have flying mechs that fly at 100 km/h in every direction, and do diving rolls to avoid bullets. But there is NO reason why a Bipedal robot shouldn't be able to slowly sidestep in each direction.

Did you see lots of birds doing side stepping?

Battlemechs should be able to do it but only at very low speed ( maybe same speed than when you are legged ) also its useless in 99% of case...

Edited by Idealsuspect, 24 February 2015 - 09:55 AM.

#20 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:17 AM

View PostJadeTimberwolf, on 23 February 2015 - 08:33 PM, said:

The point is that bipedal mechs in the BT universe don't sidestep, they torso twist and walk. If memory serves they didn't even kneel in the TT game. However kicking and punching happened.

Sidestep should be saved to quad legged.
Mechs in BT are supposed to be able taking a knee (Tactical Operations p.21). And yes we all know that they are supposed to be melee capable, BT game rules have all sort of melee action that mek can perform. Including kicks, punches, death from above, grabbing, grappling, jump jets attack, tripping, charging, melee weapon attacks including picked up limbs or trees. In arsenal you can find all sort of melee arms: axe, sword, flail, vibroblade, mace, lance, even shilds. However most of this can be found only on some special designs prepared for Solaris games.
Anyway melee is a big part of fun in BT and should be in. How do you imagine axeman or charger without it?

Rising arms is other thing that could be included.

Edited by Jaeger Gonzo, 24 February 2015 - 10:19 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users