Shadow Cat Ideas

47 replies to this topic

#21 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:57 AM

A great deal depends on how big it is and how well it ends up spreading damage. And, frankly, on whether it has that bob-n-weave gait it had in the older games that, in MWO, would likely result in it Stormcrowing damage all over the place.

If it's Blackjack-sized with good hitboxes and a naturally evasive gait...well, there's not much I'm not going to do with it. A few builds that spring to mind right away are nearstock on the Prime (ECM over CAP, possibly C-ERSLs over the C-ERMLs for an extra ton of Gauss ammo), or a triple C-SRM-6 ambush -happy missile cruiser w/Jesus Box. That double C-LPL build up there appeals as well for a more precise and less vomity laser machine. Maybe a proper Clan Lurmisher, if I'm feeling kinky. All with ECM, of course. About the only time you'll ever see a Shadow Cat without ECM is when somebody's feeling like doing the seven machine gun thing, which is...a thing. Yeah. A thing.

Just from what we know of it so far, precision feels like the Shadow Cat's hallmark to me. It's not blessed with an overabundance of hardpoints, but what it's got are all top-quality weapon mounts and the 'Mech itself is an excellent platform for them. You'll have to be careful with your shots and your engagements both, but if you can do that the 'Mech will be beautiful. You're never going to beat a Stormcrow in a stand-up fight, but if you're Shadow Catting properly you're never going to have to, either.

#22 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:30 PM

My builds take advantage of the cat's high jump and quick response;

jumpsniper; Cougar

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...29057532763e7a9

PPC +Uac5/w1.5t +ECM +TC.mk1

and my favorite skirmisher; Leopard

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5232d9b98a9a3cb

PPC +2xSPL +2xsrm4/1.5t +ECM

screw lasers, the cat just melts if anyone else beams you, since everyone else does it better, or equally.. the cat sprints to speed fast, and can reposition fast (work that MASC), meaning you can lob many small-hop rapid shots or shots from everywhere.

#23 Apollo 42

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:42 PM

I have a modified B model so its more useful, think more along the lines of an attack copter
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8deb0125cd9d1d6

First it swaps the right torso out for the Prime and adds another med laser with the Active probe and then one more ton of ammo is placed in the left torso, or where ever you feel like placing it, the concept for it is yes it has LRMs, the dirty word, but think of them like SRMs, MRMs and LRMs all at once anything beyond 180 meters and its golden. It has less ammo, but lets face it with all the ECM out now you will not need as much ammo, this build is about finding the angle, either for the LRMs, or the three med lasers it has to carve out a foe, the BAP is needed to never have to worry about the missiles never being shut down, if you play it with stagger fire for the missiles it will last a good while, also consider it as a great ambush mech, with hit and run in mind, with its hit boxes this mech has it was not meant to attack everyone by itself, its all about using the mechs weapon hard points and cover. then when you see a open torso, you pounce with missiles of the lasers. This mech is not about all the kills, its about team play, its about destroying components, scaring foes into unfavorable positions, stripping armor. its also about not being useless in situations where missiles can not be deployed as the default only had 2 lasers, not really that useful, where with 3 it adds up faster and means that it can contribute for the entire match

#24 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:28 AM

I struggled with these, but eventually found two builds I like and have success with. I run both of them on all the variants of the Shadow Cat.
Shadow Cat Build 1
Shadow Cat Build 2

As you can see they are both very similar, and I like them both very much. I find it easy to manage heat and I feel I can do decent sustained damage. Because of the Streaks my Alphas are not exceptional when it come to pinpoint damage, but they can still rock an enemy mech. I have even been know to trim a one ton and add an Active Probe. Which is not really necessary with ECM, but it still increases your lock time, so it can be useful still.

The only other build I have used with any success is this one:
ERLL Build

#25 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:23 PM

Having a super fun time with the Trollcat- left side cmgx6, right side cmplasx2/csrm6 or cssrm6 with CAP, tc1 and a couple heatsinks. Move with the heavys and assaults, when the shooting starts vault through enemy line and turn on the fire hose. Hilarious and cruel!

#26 RecklessFable

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

My Current 300+ damage per game mech:
SHC-A

edit: I should point out that that is a solo PUG rating. I never group.

Edited by RecklessFable, 13 November 2015 - 06:35 PM.

#27 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:53 AM

I hate this mech. Weak armor, few energy hardpoints and, thanks to JJ and MASC, not alot of free tonnage for ballistic and missile weapons *sigh*
The only thing which saves it is ECM. Try running one without ECM...not so much fun.

My best one so far uses 2 ERLL and ECM.

I tried 6MG, 2 ERLL without ECM...it feels like you die from people looking at you.

3 LRM5 and 2 MPL with ECM work fairly well, keeping people behind cover and staying rather save while providing ECM.

I didn't try SRM/SSRM yet. SHC feels too squishy for close range combat.

#28 NameNotAvailable

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:30 AM

View PostRoadbuster, on 01 December 2015 - 01:53 AM, said:

I hate this mech. Weak armor, few energy hardpoints and, thanks to JJ and MASC, not alot of free tonnage for ballistic and missile weapons *sigh*
The only thing which saves it is ECM. Try running one without ECM...not so much fun.

My best one so far uses 2 ERLL and ECM.

I tried 6MG, 2 ERLL without ECM...it feels like you die from people looking at you.

3 LRM5 and 2 MPL with ECM work fairly well, keeping people behind cover and staying rather save while providing ECM.

I didn't try SRM/SSRM yet. SHC feels too squishy for close range combat.

totally agree, dreadful dreadful mech. I bought it with the arctic cheetahs in a preorder pack. Won't ever do that again...

#29 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:36 PM

if you don't have enough reaction, and can not spare the ability to work masc and JJ at all times, you are going to hate how squishy it is.

a good shadow cat pilot needs to be about four times as active then an assault pilot, shooting, moving, JJ-ing, shooting, moving even more.

embrace the jump jets. embrace the masc.

stay alert and stay active, -do not rest, reposition, -do not jog, sprint, -do not run around, fly.

Edited by zudukai, 20 January 2016 - 02:13 PM.

#30 Alaric Hasek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:16 PM

View PostNameNotAvailable, on 02 December 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

totally agree, dreadful dreadful mech. I bought it with the arctic cheetahs in a preorder pack. Won't ever do that again...

It's better than a Nova. It's quick, it jumps well, and you can put on 3 LL or 3 SRM launchers and some energy weapons.

#31 NameNotAvailable

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:11 AM

hmmm not sure i'd agree with that, but they're both low teir mechs. I haven't played my shadowcat since I finished mastering it, so maybe it improved in the patch, but my memory from using a 3ERLL build was that it was way too hot, and the long beam time left you way too exposed.

I think i'd take a nova over a shadowcat, but frankly I won't take either, so...

I suppose I should give my shadowcat another try to see if the patch has redeemed it, but barring some very strong perks, that I don't remember reading, it seems highly unlikely.

#32 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

View PostOmnios, on 20 January 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:

Hi I started off learning my mech pilot skills in a Hunchback and then moved on to the Shadow Cat mechs. I really enjoy the agility of the HSC-B and -prime. However I am not enjoying the HSC-A as the load out is a bit lacking. The one thing I can think of that would make the -A more playable would to to make it so that it has ECM included in the build model. I would also like to be able to add a tag lazer to a head slot. This would make it more of a support mech with some missiles and long range lazzers for herasment. The ECM ability would make it more enjoyable to play.

What do you guys think?

if you can make room for ECM, do it.

the only time you should not bring ECM is when you swap in the ballistic omni-pod. that torso only has 2 good pods, and 90% of the time, it should be the ECM.

#33 Bassie

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:10 PM

Shadowcat is my favourite mech. I have stormcrows and I have better stats with them, but I find the shadowcat more fun. If you compare it to other mechs, I'd suggest you are using it wrong. In my view you should be using ecm, masc and jj's every single match. Otherwise, get A storm row - just as fast, more armour and a way bigger alpha.

A point to note about shadowcat is that not only does it not have negative quirks, it has 2 weapon module slots. In a mech that lacks both tonnage and hardpoints, this helps to maximise what you have.

Some builds I use:

3 ssrm6, 2 Erml. I have cool down and range modules, and target decay. This mech is helpful as a light-hunter (turn ecm to counter and chase down an arctic cheetah) and can assist really well in a brawl with heavies. Ecm helps your allies and between jumping and using masc you should be able to glimpse enemy mechs for no longer than it takes to fire all missiles in an alpha. Against a damaged mech the spread of the ssrm helps to get crits.

2 x lrm15 and 3 Erml. Forget everything you know about is lrms and consider them to have an effective range of 0- 450m, like your lasers. Artemis and quirks and they don't spread too bad on an assault mech. King crabs especially go down to this mech as you jump high, release the missiles and land behind cover. Move and repeat (do it in the same spot and en mechs will predict you). If not jumping, alpha with the lasers at the same time - but careful, big jumps and lasers make this guy run hot.

2 lpl. Pretty typical mid range sniper, except that with high speed, ecm and masc you can scoot well, and try for rear armour and flanks. Careful of lights though as they will tear you apart if you stray too far from the rest of your team. Can use uac10& 2 Erml instead of lpl. Can also include a Erml but it makes it even hotter, and having the lpl on the right arm and torso makes side peaking easier

#34 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:59 AM

1x C-U-AC/10
2x CMLas
ECM

I'm very happy with this. Double-tapping the UAC gives me occasional "20-sized" damage.

#35 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:34 AM

View PostOmnios, on 20 January 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:

Hi I started off learning my mech pilot skills in a Hunchback and then moved on to the Shadow Cat mechs. I really enjoy the agility of the HSC-B and -prime. However I am not enjoying the HSC-A as the load out is a bit lacking. The one thing I can think of that would make the -A more playable would to to make it so that it has ECM included in the build model. I would also like to be able to add a tag lazer to a head slot. This would make it more of a support mech with some missiles and long range lazzers for herasment. The ECM ability would make it more enjoyable to play.

What do you guys think?

Bing... here is your solution
SHC-A with a B Side torso

Enter your own weapons, armour and equipment per your prefferences.

Dont forget, all Clan Omnimechs can freely swap any part that is not the Centre Torso around. Dont like a particular variant? Just swap your unwanted module for the same one from a different variant.

#36 Yozzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:36 AM

Useless mech... Too many JJ's and MASC.

Rather have more free tonnage for a better loadout any day.

And also annoying, most people play them in a sniping role
Totally not usefull for winning a game...

#37 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:48 AM

View PostYozzman, on 21 January 2016 - 05:36 AM, said:

Useless mech... Too many JJ's and MASC.

Rather have more free tonnage for a better loadout any day.

And also annoying, most people play them in a sniping role
Totally not usefull for winning a game...

unfortunately I have to agree,
yes, i also tried to snipe with that, win rate is awfull - even when i do some fair dmg

Gaus - meh to heavy, hard to use, you often face enemy longer with that - which is not good in such a fragile mech
I tried 2 LPL - ok but ... others can better
I play the SHC-B stock ... also ok, but others can better 2ML weak, 3ML - to few LRM
Currently i try a UAC-5 + ER-PPC ... 2 nice games so far - however feels somehow "special"

I would love to drop 2-3 JJ ...

Edited by aGentleWarrior, 21 January 2016 - 07:04 AM.

#38 Eldarwen

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

Hello everyone, I'm still pretty new to MechWarrior but I'm loving the game. I've started out with the Shadowcat because I like its size and shape.
My first Mech has two LRG Lasers and a SRM-6 this mech is doing lots of damage but it feels like people are aways hunting me.
My second Mech has two AC-5 and lots of ammo. This one used to have the Gause and machine guns but the gause was so hard to fire.

I hope to learn lots from Shadow Cat Pilots.

~Cheers

Edited by Eldarwen, 22 January 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#39 htsmithium

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:36 AM

i run three variants, 2 clpls 6 cmgs , 2 cerppcs clan er small laser ecm, 2 clbx2 small laser ecm, not the most damaging of mechs, but consistently run 400+ damage on all three and can usually get a few kills. also with modules my lbxs have a range of over 1km right now :)

#40 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:11 PM

My only successful builds on this mech are missile builds. My favorite is 3 SSRM6 with cooldown and range mods, ECM, CAP, and two ERSL. You pretty week always get a few kills, but not always lights. Sure, I make a point of guarding my bigger teammates from Cheetahs in particular, but by poptarting you can get hits in on much bigger mechs. The thing is fast enough that it can run with lights in a wolf pack.

There's also the SRM and MPL build I have run, but I feel like keeping face time to a minimum is key, and so the homing of streaks is ideal because you don't even need to look at them, you can sort of glance and shoot. I never used streaks on any other mech, feeling them to be a cheese sort of weapon, but they work really well on this mech when nothing much else does. I had given up on the chassis, buy a few weeks ago I gave it one more try and decided to test out a streak build. I've actually finished my double basics now and I'm on the way to mastering it.

I almost forgot to mention LRM builds. They're not so effective as a weapon system in general, but the Shadow Cat does lurm builds better than most clan mediums.

Edited by grendeldog, 24 January 2016 - 04:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users