Do You Take This Too Seriously?

65 replies to this topic

#41 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:48 AM

Yes, and I feel like an ass constantly because of it.

I feel like an ass right now, actually.

#42 IronChance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

Posted Image

#43 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostGalenit, on 28 February 2015 - 03:00 AM, said:

Playing a virtual game in the spare time is for fun only.

RL is where i get my challenges and my money.

sure, play for fun, but if your idea of "-playing for fun" involves generally being a **** and sabotaging the team and other various stupid moves, then yeah, stay in your little lan party...

#44 -VooDoo-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 164 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:58 PM

indeed.

#45 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

Posted Image

#46 MattPaul

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

Sometimes I take this quite seriously, mainly after I get a stream of ridiculous matches, this is annoying, althought its part of the game.

#47 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,705 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

Mech Mashin iz serious bizness man!
Posted Image

#48 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:11 PM

judging by the nerdrage on a couple of my threads, there certainly are some people who do! :D

#49 Gattsus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 843 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:39 PM

Somehow this reminded me of COD players.... but hey, that's just a theory.... my theory!
(game theory - youtube for those who don't get the quote)

#50 Sgt Greyhawk

• PipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:15 AM

Every time I die and I am watching a teammate and they don't get locks a little part of me dies. So simple, helps yourself and the team. Like if I see you are brawling a fresh Atlas I could come help or commit elsewhere if it's a shredded Nova. GET THEM RED DORITOS FTW!!!!!!

#51 justin xiang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 585 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:21 AM

Give the newbies a break. I find it more amusing than frustrating when my team mates run to their deaths or miss at point blank. Give them advice in a friendly way. If you are a jerk, don't act surprised when they say mean words.

#52 Baron Blitz Fokheimer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:23 AM

Here's what I might do during a match. In fact, I will intentionally try my best to do these things whenever possible:

- Never lock targets when I'm in a situation where your crappy missiles might cost me a kill.

- Shoot right through you at a weakened enemy in order to try and get the kill.

- Stand behind you to use you as cover. It's a more efficient way of absorbing LRMs than investing tonnage into AMS.

- Block your shots in order to take the kills for myself, unless I'm damaged from behind, in which case I might not risk it.

- If I'm the last one alive and there are too many enemies left, I will make all efforts to try to avoid open combat. I don't care that you're itching to queue up for another 20,000 c-bills and 40 experience; you're not entitled to my death out of your own convenience. I'll take my time looking for enemies that I can kill, and avoid ones that I can't.

- Are we at 650 points while the enemy has 200, and still own four bases? I think I'll go try to grab a kill from the remaining five enemy mechs, thanks.

- No, these aren't your stairs; this is my cover. Find another way around.

- Sorry bro, I shot your leg by accident. Don't worry, I'll get the last remaining enemy light that's almost cored for us.

- I don't care how many points you have left for your challenge with only three hours to go before the end; I'm shooting everything I see, and if you want kills, work for them yourself.

Why do I do these things? Because I'm a good player, and you're not. I have the 3:1 kdr and you don't, and I couldn't care less about your incessant whining and entitled attitude. Get on my level.

Edited by Baron Blitz Fokheimer, 02 March 2015 - 01:24 AM.

#53 Galenit

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:56 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 28 February 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

sure, play for fun, but if your idea of "-playing for fun" involves generally being a **** and sabotaging the team and other various stupid moves, then yeah, stay in your little lan party...

Dont come with the ifs,
but if you like ifs, we can do more ifs.

If somonee sabotages the team and brings stupid moves,
he can still play and you cant do anything about it,
but he will be moved in the matching elo,
if elo is working to some degree.

If you have to play again or with him often, elo says,
you are playing on the same level as the stupid saboteur.

I hope you are talking about people like that, if you talk about stupid and sabotage:
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4248680

Edited by Galenit, 02 March 2015 - 02:59 AM.

#54 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:11 AM

View PostJazz Hands, on 27 February 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

Are you taking this game too seriously???

Hell, I've even found myself screaming over TS....and to clarify not at noobish behavior...but at people being flat out jerks. Like I had a team mate last night that wouldn't let me walk in my DW. He literally stood in front of me and blocked me...which was all cute for the first 30 seconds but when it didn't stop the other two DW'S I was with turned him into ash.

But then I wonder....why I let it bother me?

So tell me...do you take this too seriously ? Provide nifty examples of thing you should just have shrugged off...but didn't.

This is called DW herding... most often applied to fatties that don't push :)

#55 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:14 AM

I try not to.
But when things go really bad for some time I find myself getting frustrated and sometimes venting that frustration in chat.
This usually comes after spectating other team members or after a lost match because people wouldn't listen to advice or info about enemy position.
I know I shouldn't, and I'm not proud of it, but sometimes it's just too much. :unsure:

#56 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:32 AM

View PostBaron Blitz Fokheimer, on 02 March 2015 - 01:23 AM, said:

Here's what I might do during a match. In fact, I will intentionally try my best to do these things whenever possible:

- Never lock targets when I'm in a situation where your crappy missiles might cost me a kill.

- Shoot right through you at a weakened enemy in order to try and get the kill.

- Stand behind you to use you as cover. It's a more efficient way of absorbing LRMs than investing tonnage into AMS.

- Block your shots in order to take the kills for myself, unless I'm damaged from behind, in which case I might not risk it.

- If I'm the last one alive and there are too many enemies left, I will make all efforts to try to avoid open combat. I don't care that you're itching to queue up for another 20,000 c-bills and 40 experience; you're not entitled to my death out of your own convenience. I'll take my time looking for enemies that I can kill, and avoid ones that I can't.

- Are we at 650 points while the enemy has 200, and still own four bases? I think I'll go try to grab a kill from the remaining five enemy mechs, thanks.

- No, these aren't your stairs; this is my cover. Find another way around.

- Sorry bro, I shot your leg by accident. Don't worry, I'll get the last remaining enemy light that's almost cored for us.

- I don't care how many points you have left for your challenge with only three hours to go before the end; I'm shooting everything I see, and if you want kills, work for them yourself.

Why do I do these things? Because I'm a good player, and you're not. I have the 3:1 kdr and you don't, and I couldn't care less about your incessant whining and entitled attitude. Get on my level.

So, basically, what you're saying is that from now on, you're not going to carry new players anymore.....you're going to play LIKE a new player and be carried?

Good luck. It's a shame you can't convince the Matchmaker to go along with your plan. You're still going to be saddled with new players you're expected to carry.

View PostMycrus, on 02 March 2015 - 03:11 AM, said:

This is called DW herding... most often applied to fatties that don't push :)

^ This right here.

In the solo queue, you've got at least a 50% chance that any assault on your team is either a Trial Mech with no modules, efficiencies and a crap PGI build.....or it's an LRM boat with no active probe, tag or narc to cut ECM.

Nothing feels like seeing all three DWs on your team packing LRM tubes and trying to hide behind the lights.

#57 Baron Blitz Fokheimer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:51 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 02 March 2015 - 03:32 AM, said:

So, basically, what you're saying is that from now on, you're not going to carry new players anymore.....you're going to play LIKE a new player and be carried?

Good luck. It's a shame you can't convince the Matchmaker to go along with your plan. You're still going to be saddled with new players you're expected to carry.

Doesn't matter. As long as my kdr is high, and I win more matches than I lose (this just kind of happens automatically because I'm so good; I have a 1.2x win ratio according to the stats page), I'm still getting what I want. It's the other players who aren't, but that's not my problem.

#58 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:04 AM

View PostBaron Blitz Fokheimer, on 02 March 2015 - 03:51 AM, said:

Doesn't matter. As long as my kdr is high, and I win more matches than I lose (this just kind of happens automatically because I'm so good; I have a 1.2x win ratio according to the stats page), I'm still getting what I want. It's the other players who aren't, but that's not my problem.

And here's the best part.....

You have only one Elo score for each weight class....they're not separated into solo/group play.

That means that when you play well in the group queue, then come over to the solo queue....you're expected to carry a number of new players, meant to "even out" your Elo score on the team.

It is what it is.

#59 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:12 AM

View PostJazz Hands, on 27 February 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

Are you taking this game too seriously???

Hell, I've even found myself screaming over TS....and to clarify not at noobish behavior...but at people being flat out jerks. Like I had a team mate last night that wouldn't let me walk in my DW. He literally stood in front of me and blocked me...which was all cute for the first 30 seconds but when it didn't stop the other two DW'S I was with turned him into ash.

But then I wonder....why I let it bother me?

So tell me...do you take this too seriously ? Provide nifty examples of thing you should just have shrugged off...but didn't.

I think players should take it seriously to a certain extent, otherwise you don't have a game situation. I also don't think it's unreasonable to expect other people to try and take the game seriously enough for the match to happen, as it is a group activity and if someone isn't trying to participate in a positive manner then it's disrespectful to the other players.

However the problems occur when a player assumes personalized bad faith (ie, 'that other guy is playing badly to spite me!') or when a player gets angry about other peoples approach or abilities ( ie 'why can't everyone be as good as me and play my way!'). So I just always assume good faith in peoples actions unless, given overwhelming evidence that they are intentionally trying to play in a negative fashion (ie "LOLS, I R TK MY HOLE TEAM$$" or similar), because that way you have very little to need to shrug off in the first place.

#60 Finn McShae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 475 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:32 AM

No.

Five or ten years ago I absolutely would have but I realized that being so mad at video games was not good for me. So when I start to get frustrated enough to get angry, I do something else.

MWO Specifically I binge play for a few weeks, then take a few weeks break, rinse repeat. Keeps it fresh and keeps me enjoying even losing efforts. About the only thing that really annoys me are the people who take it too seriously and badmouth the team and call us all noobs and such (and, usually have a score of 20 in a heavy, died because they ran off alone, etc).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users