Pgi, Why I, Bishop Steiner, And My Uber Important Wallet, Won't Be Buying The Gladiator Pack For Wave Iii

434 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:28 PM

Did that sound arrogant and ostentatious enough? :D

Anyhow, despite the self aggrandizing title, this is a (mostly) serious post. Wave III will be the first Mech Pack I have not bought (On this or my alt acct). I may possibly with the extension buy the Shadow Cat package, if I can free up the money by mid month, but no more.

So the why?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Wait...the HIGHLANDER??????? And the Gargoyle??????
What the hecK?

Elementary, actually. Since the JJ nerf, Assaults have been pathetic at jumping. Yet at 2 tons per JJ, that is a heck of a lot of tonnage invested...for essentially, no "go" juice. The Highlander in particular, jumps like a paraplegic geriatric trying to skip rope.....in molasses.

The Gargoyle part? Since it was introduced, the Gargoyle has been cursed with the Huge movement profile. On a mech with nearly no firepower. It survives based on it's mobility, yet PGI chose to take a huge chunk of that away, as anytime it encounters an incline or 45º pebble, it is reduced to moving SLOWER than a King Crab. And Russ has shown no inclination to rectify this.

There is little to no reason to believe the Executioner will be any better. Which means you will have a huge (traditionally about the largest mech in the game, height-wise) mech profile, horrible terrain movement, and terribad JJs. With under 25 tons of guns when fully armored. Again, like the Highlander and Gargoyle (and Victor to a lesser extent) it's a mech defined by it's mobility. And PGI seems determined to take that away from Assaults, almost entirely. For massively armed mechs like the Atlas, King Crab, Dire Wolf, etc, that makes sense.

For mechs like the Executioner? For me, it's a deal breaker. One can say "well wait till it drops", we won't know until then. Well, I did that the last several packs (and don't regret it), but the results along those fronts, with all the subpar Clan Mechs still being totally sub par? I would prefer to save the 60 bucks now, and if when released, I am wrong and they are wonderful? Grind the Cbills then, before buying another pre-nerfed Mech.

So, sorry PGI, but unless I see some sign that you are actually acknowledging things like the current state of suck with the JJs, and 2/3 of the already released Clan Mechs? I just can't do it. And it pains me, as I have bought literally every max pack up til now. But I don't think you can quirk these problems away.
http://mwomercs.com/...-mobility-back/

I believe I'm not the only one concerned about this. Correct me if I'm wrong.

**Edit, btw, for the illiterate, hard of reading comprehension or otherwise obtuse readers: I am demanding nothing, nor threatening to not buy future products. I am providing reasoned feedback tp PGI why I won't be buying this particular product, despite my past spending habits. Also, if you can't figure out the hyperbolistic title was added for humor and effect, well, that's a you problem. Judging by the number of likes and responses this post has gotten in short order, I think it safe to say I am not alone in my concerns.

Have a wonderful day!

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 02 March 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#2 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:33 PM

Piloting a Highlander is like piloting a Atlas K.

Both are hardmode, and i enjoy it. Despite missing JJ's on the Atlai i can understand some of your frustations.

But i want the broken JJ animation to be fixed. That one is still broken since the introduction of Wave I, which is highly frustating.

#3 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:37 PM

At least one more paying customer is concerned about the "current state of suck" as regards JJs - me.

How come a full complement of 4 JJs on a Panther 9R or 8Z cannot reverse a fall once it's begun?*

Why do I need the 8 JJs of a Panther 10K to actually reverse a fall?

The 4 JJs can lift a stationary Panther into the air, but not one that has begun falling? Where's the logic in that?

To tell you the truth, JJs have been badly implemented since the get-go, and it's high time that you revisited them properly. If you're worried about a re-emergence of pop-tarting, combat that with reticule shake, not by making JJs useless.

If you want inspiration on what JJs could be like, I believe there's plenty of MW:LL videos of their JJs around these forums.

*Edit: After a bit more testing, it's just about possible to reverse a fall if your fall speed stays above -5 m/s - but you run out of JJ fuel just as you go into positive vertical speed.

Edited by stjobe, 01 March 2015 - 01:42 PM.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

View Poststjobe, on 01 March 2015 - 01:37 PM, said:

At least one more paying customer is concerned about the "current state of suck" as regards JJs - me.

How come a full complement of 4 JJs on a Panther 9R or 8Z cannot reverse a fall once it's begun?

The 4 JJs can lift a stationary Panther into the air, but not one that has begun falling? Where's the logic in that?

To tell you the truth, JJs have been badly implemented since the get-go, and it's high time that you revisited them properly. If you're worried about a re-emergence of pop-tarting, combat that with reticule shake, not by making JJs useless.

If you want inspiration on what JJs could be like, I believe there's plenty of MW:LL videos of their JJs around these forums.

well, in truth you do have to counter momentum first on a falling mech, whereas you merely have to achieve a greater than 1:1 thrust to lift a stationary object. Just to be technical. (the exact math would vary of course depending on mass x downward velocity, I suppose)

But I do take your meaning. If 1 JJ will achieve life, even limited, 4 should have more power since power to lift does not scale linearly.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 01 March 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#5 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:45 PM

View Poststjobe, on 01 March 2015 - 01:37 PM, said:

How come a full complement of 4 JJs on a Panther 9R or 8Z cannot reverse a fall once it's begun?*

*Edit: After a bit more testing, it's just about possible to reverse a fall if your fall speed stays above -5 m/s - but you run out of JJ fuel just as you go into positive vertical speed.

Velocity downward. JJs have to counter that downward velocity with a force greater than your downward pull.

physics.

when you are at rest all the JJs have to do is overcome the force of gravity.

#6 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:47 PM

I tried to refit my Highlander in some way to make it viable again. But it's just too slow and lumbering.

Improved JJs might give it a reason to be used again. Til then, it's money I regret spending.

#7 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:47 PM

i didn't buy it because i thought it looked ugly. lol.
the cockpit looks bitchen though. it's like a cold blank stare of death.

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

View PostBrody319, on 01 March 2015 - 01:45 PM, said:

Velocity downward. JJs have to counter that downward velocity with a force greater than your downward pull.

physics.

:rolleyes: :ph34r: :D

#9 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe city that care forgot

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

k

#10 Evan20k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 491 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

There's a part of me that wants to say they'll address this around Clan Quirk Pass time. Completely wishful thinking, but here's hoping.

#11 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

well yea they need to improve JJs.

but I'm going to pilot the Gladiator regardless.

Because I'm a weirdo who likes bad mechs.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

View PostWingbreaker, on 01 March 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

k

Your paucity of words is in itself an elegant contrast to the intentional extravagance and hyperbole of my OP. I can see indeed why you are a writer for NGNG, noble bard!

#13 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe city that care forgot

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:57 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 March 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

Your paucity of words is in itself an elegant contrast to the intentional extravagance and hyperbole of my OP. I can see indeed why you are a writer for NGNG, noble bard!

THATS WHY I GOTS CALLED THE TROUBADOUR, Y'ALL.

#14 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:59 PM

This problem could be solved really easily.

unlock all this Clan equipment ****! I don't want that damn flamer or BAP on my lights, and I don't want JJs in my Timberwolves!

either Fix this crap to make it worth my time, let me rip it out, or give me an "upgrade" option to have it removed.

All this equipment is pointless and is only punishing the mechs that aren't good anyway!

Lynx - 4 tons wasted.
Adder - 0.5 tons and an energy slot, wasted.
Nova - 2.5 tons wasted.
Summoner - 5 Tons wasted.

This locked equipment only "nerfed" the Timberwolf, the rest of these mechs are just getting ****** over.

#15 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:00 PM

I laughed, I cried, I wet my pants slightly. Would Read Again

11/10

I still bought the pack LIKE A SUCKER!

Edited by Project_Mercy, 01 March 2015 - 02:01 PM.

#16 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:03 PM

View PostBrody319, on 01 March 2015 - 01:45 PM, said:

physics.

I know. It just doesn't feel right.

Doing some very unscientific testing in Veridian Bog with my PNT-9R (250 XL, Speed Tweak, 4 JJs) I managed to jump about two, two-and-a-half times the height of a Catapult (so roughly 30-40 meters) straight up, and roughly 180 meters with a running start (throttling down to zero in mid-air so I stop as I land).

Running off one of the plateaus though, I cannot reverse my fall unless I keep my fall speed to less than 5 m/s - and then I run out of JJ fuel just as I pass into positive vertical speed.

Another interesting thing is that when I jump straight up I start off with a speed of 14.7 kph, which then falls off to about 10.5 kph at the top of my jump (just as I run out of JJ fuel), and when I land I have a vertical speed of -47 m/s - which is about 169 kph!

Even if the fall speed is actually ft/s it would mean I land with a speed of 50 kph, which doesn't seem right for a fall from about 30-40 m. With a mass of 35 tons, a fall from 10 meters would mean a speed of 50 kph, and to get 47 m/s I would need to fall from 113 meters!

Physics, yeah. MWO's doesn't seem to add up.

Edit: And either way, JJs feel lacklustre in their current implementation and should be revisited.

Edited by stjobe, 01 March 2015 - 02:08 PM.

#17 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:16 PM

Do like me, just buy the Ebon Jaguar pack when you can. :)

#18 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:20 PM

View PostBrody319, on 01 March 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

This problem could be solved really easily.

unlock all this Clan equipment ****! I don't want that damn flamer or BAP on my lights, and I don't want JJs in my Timberwolves!

either Fix this crap to make it worth my time, let me rip it out, or give me an "upgrade" option to have it removed.

All this equipment is pointless and is only punishing the mechs that aren't good anyway!

Lynx - 4 tons wasted.
Adder - 0.5 tons and an energy slot, wasted.
Nova - 2.5 tons wasted.
Summoner - 5 Tons wasted.

This locked equipment only "nerfed" the Timberwolf, the rest of these mechs are just getting ****** over.

Maybe something would change for the summoner.
But for the other 3, I have my doubts...

#19 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:23 PM

Jump-Jet were suppose to give ability for the mech to jump at height close to 90m if not more.

Here, we barely reach the 5 meter.

#20 Evan20k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 491 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:29 PM

It took me a bit to figure out exactly how I felt about the pack, to be honest.

I love my Gargoyle. It's bad, and I don't care. That said, The executioner looks like a ton of fun to me, so I ordered the pack. I'm sincerely hoping that the jump jets aren't locked if they don't address the JJ issue though. Looks like it could be a clan Banshee, which makes me happy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users