A Nova Workshop

190 replies to this topic

#101 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

People put way too much emphasis into some random guy's meta list.

No personal disrespect intended to Gman but, that 'list' is absurd.

Think for yourself, I say. Sometimes it works out well. Sometimes it works out very fun[derp]. I consider either a success, with different goals in mind.

I didn't study other people playing 3D when I cut trip PPC [evolved to 2+gas] meta off a fresh block; I did what I wanted to do.

Do what you want, and if it works well, figure out why and refine it.

Edited by Soy, 10 March 2015 - 01:52 PM.

#102 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:52 PM

View PostSoy, on 10 March 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

Sure but even then, if I open up they're in a deep hole given the burst on this. If they open up and take an arm, that's probably game. I think you should consider this mech critically from a 1 v 1 perspective. Seriously, just think about it.

I've been wanting to set up a series of 1v1s with certain clan mechs vs certain IS mechs like:
-Nova vs IS 50 tonners
-Myth Lynx vs Commando
-Summoner vs IS heavies
-Gargoyle vs Awesomes

#103 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 10 March 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

I've been wanting to set up a series of 1v1s with certain clan mechs vs certain IS mechs like:
-Nova vs IS 50 tonners
-Myth Lynx vs Commando
-Summoner vs IS heavies
-Gargoyle vs Awesomes

Hey that's actually pretty interesting............ you should get some people involved and maybe make a lil "Epic IS vs Clan Duels of History" and try and make that into something maybe? That'd be pretty neat in my opinion... :D

Edited by Soy, 10 March 2015 - 01:54 PM.

#104 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,669 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:11 PM

View PostSoy, on 10 March 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

Sure, it is a list that some random guy made. Either way, it is a list that is contradictory to Bishop's, and has more objectiveness to it than Bishop's. If you slap 4 ERML + Gauss or 5 ASRM6 on a Summoner, it can compete with Boom Jagers or some Thunderbolts, or Dragon 1Ns. It isn't as hyperbolic as his list was.

Honestly, the Nova is better off than some IS mediums, it is certainly not in the same predicament as the Trebuchet, Kintaros, or Ice Ferrets but it isn't in as good as a position like the Wolverine 6Ks or the Doomcrows. It feels how it was back in the MW4 mod I played. It was good to have one in a drop as a sort of assassin for taking out enemy glass cannons quickly, but it was never a mech you took great numbers of like the SCrow because it wasn't an all around great mech.

Granted if the SCrow ever gets the 6E omnipod, then the Nova's only saving grace is Hoverjets™ which would be sad.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 10 March 2015 - 02:11 PM.

#105 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:13 PM

^ Absolutely; agree w/ all.

#106 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

-Nova vs IS 50 tonners
-Myth Lynx vs Commando
-Summoner vs IS heavies
-Gargoyle vs Awesomes

I have premium time for the next two weeks, and a couple of those mechs mastered.

Mr Gargles, Nova and Myth Lynx for the Clans.

I have some Hunches, Awesomes, Cataphracts and Thud's for the IS.

Swapping pilots is probably a good idea, if we can find people with those robots.

#107 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:05 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 10 March 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

I have premium time for the next two weeks, and a couple of those mechs mastered.

Mr Gargles, Nova and Myth Lynx for the Clans.

I have some Hunches, Awesomes, Cataphracts and Thud's for the IS.

Swapping pilots is probably a good idea, if we can find people with those robots.

I got all those robots too. I'm wondering who else I might could rope in on it.

#108 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:09 PM

I'm keen even if not to participate I'd just like to record it, I think that'd be great footage.

Maybe best 2 of 3 for each 'battle' or something?

This seems strangely pokemon... in addition to the fact that I'm not exactly a duelist... but this sounds really interesting to me. It seems like some other people would've already done by now, too.....

#109 Styxx42

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 111 posts
  • LocationPeterborough Canada

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

I wanted to reply before readying everyone else reason.

ANKLE FIRE POSITION.
That is it in a nut shell.
You fire 90% of your weapons from your feet, you clip every rock, pebble and grass blade. you are only effective in Mining colony(Totally flat ground) Even then if you are above them forget it, You have to be stepped out to point down.
HORRIBLE firing platform
Then PGi Ghost H lasers and I have never been back. I own three, I love what it looks like.
HATE how it performs.
Only mech I do not want to master.
Frankly I would take my Wolverine any day of the week over this mech.

#110 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:28 PM

View PostSoy, on 10 March 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

I'm keen even if not to participate I'd just like to record it, I think that'd be great footage.

Maybe best 2 of 3 for each 'battle' or something?

This seems strangely pokemon... in addition to the fact that I'm not exactly a duelist... but this sounds really interesting to me. It seems like some other people would've already done by now, too.....

When me and some of the QQ guys were putting light mechs through the ringer when quirks hit, we would do a best of 5 then rotate pilots. So it be Pilot X in Mech A vs Pilot Y in mech B for 5 rounds, then Pilot X in Mech B vs Pilot Y in mech A for 5 rounds and we'd rotate out pilots pretty frequently too. We'd have like 6 to 10 guys all doing it simultaneously too.

I'd be down for getting it set up in the next couple of days, I've always got Premium Time rolling and I'm sure I can get some of the QQ guys in on it.

#111 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:28 PM

I've really tried to make the Nova work, it's my favourite mech in BT and I own the three you can get in MWO, but I just don't like it. I've run the 12SPL build you use, but it's far too feast/famine for my tastes. Either you catch a bunch of people standing still from behind like in your video and you kill them fast, or someone with real guns sees you 600m away and you end up with no arms or no legs really fast.

Other things I don't like about the Nova: I noticed that not once did any of your lasers hit the ground; again, it's great when all your weapons hit, but I can't think of a single mech I own with lower-mounted weapon hardpoints, and it's incredibly common and terribly frustrating to fire a 12 laser alpha and have six of them hit the floor because the lasers are not only on low arms, but they're on the bottom of the arm as well.

It's laughably sluggish. Compare it to the Stormcrow or Griffin, five tons heavier but much more agile, or the Hunchback, at the same tonnage but with far superior twist. It almost feels like I'm piloting an Awesome, given how slowly the mech turns and twists, especially with the low hardpoints.

The natural solution is to use the jumpjets, but they don't provide nearly the turn speed that they once did, and given that using JJs now not only stops you from sinking heat but builds it up, that's a gamble at best in a Nova. It's generally not worth the tradeoff, I feel.

Finally, the thing has abysmal hitboxes. The CT can be hit from literally any angle, it's impossible to shield. All the weapons are in the arms, which are hilariously easy to shoot off. The legs are quite prominent, and it's not uncommon to lose them quickly as well. Your side torsi are reasonably sized, but not safe in the same way a Dragon or Awesome's used to be.

So the thing about the Nova is that it's only useful trait is those 12E hardpoints. That means coming up with a build that uses 8 or more energy weapons; otherwise, you might as well just use a Hellbringer or Stormcrow, both of which are more agile, better armed, and have better hitboxes and weapon locations, not to mention more tonnage for heatsinks.

If we're talking about using 8+ energy weapons, your options are: 12 ER SL, 12 SPL, 8ML, or 6 ER ML + 6 ER SL. The 6+6 build feels weak to me; at range it's worse than most builds it will be fighting, and up close you're still limited somewhat by ghost heat, and still going to run quite hot. The 12 ER SL and 12 SPL builds are very strong if you get the drop on someone lighter than you or already hurt, but if you're forced to cover open ground like on Alpine, Caustic, Mordor, and a handful of other maps, good luck with that. 8 ER ML is just enough to run unpleasantly hot while still not really providing you much of an advantage at range.

The only build I have really found that works for the Nova is 2 ER PPC; all the jumpjets actually make it a pretty decent poptart, even in this day and age. The downside is that even though it's 15 tons heavier than the adder, it only has a 7% cooling boost over it with the same loadout, which is pretty disappointing for a 15 ton gap, and one that spans a weight class no less. In an Adder, you're faster and more agile despite lacking jumpjets, and the weapons are much higher so you can still be a competent sniper.

Oh, and props to Soy for using Foregone Destruction and Colossus in the video. The original UT had such a fantastic soundtrack.

-Nova vs IS 50 tonners
-Myth Lynx vs Commando
-Summoner vs IS heavies
-Gargoyle vs Awesomes

I have three Novae, three Mist Lynxes, and four Awesomes, so if you want someone to duel, I'm game. :D

#112 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:36 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 March 2015 - 09:53 AM, said:

I would add to the Cons:
-Generally Runs too hot, thanks to global clan laser heat nerfs brought on by Mr TBR, SCR and DWF. Was a time you could legit run the Nova-S stock and not e shut down every 10 seconds in a furball.

I'm sorry but this is a place we will never see eye to eye.

Those global heat nerfs were necessary. It wasn't due to the TBR, SCR and DWF.

The CERMLAS as a weapon was simply too good.

Even now it's too good, but I'm OK with it because the way clans are designed it is a backbone weapon for most of their builds, there is no way around this and I don't want to see more Ghost heat in the game.

But when I can't fire MLAS to reach an alpha of 40 damage at 270m without getting hit with ghost heat, but I can swap to a clan mech and fire a 42 point alpha at 405m range with no Ghost Heat, clearly, something is amiss.

2x 42 point alphas for 30 heat each was ridiculous.

That is more than 4 large lasers worth of damage per arm, and was at the same 450m range for the heat cost of only slightly larger than 3 LLAS per arm, all for the cost of ONE ton per weapon.

Right now, if you build your Nova with 2x Prime Arms (-10% heat gen total), more than any you are only paying 5.4 heat per laser - so it is nearly back to where it was for the Nova.

Remove 2x CERMLAS, dropping down to 10. Add 2 Heatsinks, fire 2x 35 point alphas for 27 heat.

View PostKain Thul, on 10 March 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

I only brought it up because I thought it was funny that Alpine is considered to be a **** map for SPL and there we were. My Gargoyle had 12 SPL and 24 DHS but I was still able to put them to use. Kind of like your Nova project the three of us were running Gargoyles last night boating SPLs and playing aggressively and we carried way more often than we lost.

I don't understand why people say that, Alpine skirmish/assault is almost always a close range brawl on the hill.

Conquest is usually a fast moving skirmish battle around Theta.

Short range weapons are fine on Alpine, the current meta doesn't see many long rand sniping stand offs.

View PostSoy, on 10 March 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

I can see not agreeing with all of his builds or the finer points of where in a tier a mech should be or if it should be one tier higher/lower.

I think "absurd" is about the same level of stretching a word as saying the Nova "sucks" or is "useless".

I watch a lot of the player run tournaments when I have time and it's pretty accurate for the mechs that I see played most frequently.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 10 March 2015 - 04:38 PM.

#113 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:43 PM

View PostStyxx42, on 10 March 2015 - 04:26 PM, said:

I wanted to reply before readying everyone else reason.

ANKLE FIRE POSITION.
That is it in a nut shell.
You fire 90% of your weapons from your feet, you clip every rock, pebble and grass blade. you are only effective in Mining colony(Totally flat ground) Even then if you are above them forget it, You have to be stepped out to point down.
HORRIBLE firing platform
Then PGi Ghost H lasers and I have never been back. I own three, I love what it looks like.
HATE how it performs.
Only mech I do not want to master.
Frankly I would take my Wolverine any day of the week over this mech.

This is a great argument, a couple people have mentioned it earlier but I'm glad someone just singled in on and goes Dennis Miller all over it.

It's definitely one of those things that can instantly ruin chances of a quick kill on something and allow it to riposte. Turfing sucks. Tart that ****! xD

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 10 March 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

When me and some of the QQ guys were putting light mechs through the ringer when quirks hit, we would do a best of 5 then rotate pilots. So it be Pilot X in Mech A vs Pilot Y in mech B for 5 rounds, then Pilot X in Mech B vs Pilot Y in mech A for 5 rounds and we'd rotate out pilots pretty frequently too. We'd have like 6 to 10 guys all doing it simultaneously too.

I'd be down for getting it set up in the next couple of days, I've always got Premium Time rolling and I'm sure I can get some of the QQ guys in on it.

If you guys actually come up with some sort of "1v1 Clan vs IS" make sure you get it real balanced (cuz Clanners should win 1v1 according to lore right), and I'm definitely interested in at least watching. :D

View Postaniviron, on 10 March 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

I've really tried to make the Nova work, it's my favourite mech in BT and I own the three you can get in MWO, but I just don't like it. I've run the 12SPL build you use, but it's far too feast/famine for my tastes. Either you catch a bunch of people standing still from behind like in your video and you kill them fast, or someone with real guns sees you 600m away and you end up with no arms or no legs really fast.

Other things I don't like about the Nova: I noticed that not once did any of your lasers hit the ground; again, it's great when all your weapons hit, but I can't think of a single mech I own with lower-mounted weapon hardpoints, and it's incredibly common and terribly frustrating to fire a 12 laser alpha and have six of them hit the floor because the lasers are not only on low arms, but they're on the bottom of the arm as well.

It's laughably sluggish. Compare it to the Stormcrow or Griffin, five tons heavier but much more agile, or the Hunchback, at the same tonnage but with far superior twist. It almost feels like I'm piloting an Awesome, given how slowly the mech turns and twists, especially with the low hardpoints.

The natural solution is to use the jumpjets, but they don't provide nearly the turn speed that they once did, and given that using JJs now not only stops you from sinking heat but builds it up, that's a gamble at best in a Nova. It's generally not worth the tradeoff, I feel.

Finally, the thing has abysmal hitboxes. The CT can be hit from literally any angle, it's impossible to shield. All the weapons are in the arms, which are hilariously easy to shoot off. The legs are quite prominent, and it's not uncommon to lose them quickly as well. Your side torsi are reasonably sized, but not safe in the same way a Dragon or Awesome's used to be.

So the thing about the Nova is that it's only useful trait is those 12E hardpoints. That means coming up with a build that uses 8 or more energy weapons; otherwise, you might as well just use a Hellbringer or Stormcrow, both of which are more agile, better armed, and have better hitboxes and weapon locations, not to mention more tonnage for heatsinks.

If we're talking about using 8+ energy weapons, your options are: 12 ER SL, 12 SPL, 8ML, or 6 ER ML + 6 ER SL. The 6+6 build feels weak to me; at range it's worse than most builds it will be fighting, and up close you're still limited somewhat by ghost heat, and still going to run quite hot. The 12 ER SL and 12 SPL builds are very strong if you get the drop on someone lighter than you or already hurt, but if you're forced to cover open ground like on Alpine, Caustic, Mordor, and a handful of other maps, good luck with that. 8 ER ML is just enough to run unpleasantly hot while still not really providing you much of an advantage at range.

The only build I have really found that works for the Nova is 2 ER PPC; all the jumpjets actually make it a pretty decent poptart, even in this day and age. The downside is that even though it's 15 tons heavier than the adder, it only has a 7% cooling boost over it with the same loadout, which is pretty disappointing for a 15 ton gap, and one that spans a weight class no less. In an Adder, you're faster and more agile despite lacking jumpjets, and the weapons are much higher so you can still be a competent sniper.

Oh, and props to Soy for using Foregone Destruction and Colossus in the video. The original UT had such a fantastic soundtrack.

I have three Novae, three Mist Lynxes, and four Awesomes, so if you want someone to duel, I'm game. :D

Nice deep post, here's response...

- I'm usin 10 not 12 I think this is very important distinction. But they are same "thing" basically, I'll definitely give you that.

- When someone sees you 600m out posted, and you go into their sight line, you ****** up. Straight up. It's a no-no. It sucks. Can't do it. I work really hard and limiting that, I think it requires more work than getting a mastery of a weapon cadence, this mech's monstrous heat, or aiming. I think proper ninja **** and patience goes a long way.

- It is sluggish. This is what gets it armed or legged from that 600m in the first place, is you showed into sight line and it takes about 3-4 seconds to even move back 10 meters. Ugh. I'd poop rainbows for a week if this thing even got 5% acceleration bonus, but I keep 'buff hopes' out of sight out of mind.

- I think people have given up on JJs or maybe feel romantic about how they used to be... I spent so much time away that coming back I just isolated the Clan mech with the best 'tart' feel and went with it, I guess I'm trying to remain ignorant or optimistic about it I guess. Maybe people should I dunno, hit themselves in the head with a hammer and then after recovering, try and just isolate JJs in training or in practice solo play, and really get a full understanding of them again as they currently are, without constantly harping back to how they 'used to be'. And believe me, I know how they used to be. Just let it go I guess and accept it, get comfy, and use em as you can... :/

- I really like the ER PPC shoulder Nova, maybe throw like 2 smalls in each hand for fun and dynamic play, it's not able to do anything 'best' at that point but it's able to do proper Clan snipe tarting. Which is cool. I'd imagine some of you miss that after the Timber/JJ nerf, eh? So maybe that's the route some have gone with it and are deep into that as a comfort or bias of the Nova... reminds me, last night it occured to me, if I could put JJs on any mech (and since I'm currently Clan-only) I said.... Adder? 2x PPC on that thing w/ JJs would be fun I think, but that's a fantasy.

- Music is just **** I was watching or listening to. That's why some of it is like, dialogue from TV shows. I only added the "triple kill" kid and "wombo combo" at the beginning to firewall against idiots who want an excuse to not watch the vid, and to make fun of myself. I had UT soundtrack playing at one point. I didn't record a lot of footage, only a couple nights worth, so that's why you hear UT twice and Busta like four times or whatever... meh, it is what it is.

View PostUltimatum X, on 10 March 2015 - 04:36 PM, said:

I can see not agreeing with all of his builds or the finer points of where in a tier a mech should be or if it should be one tier higher/lower.

I think "absurd" is about the same level of stretching a word as saying the Nova "sucks" or is "useless".

Ok then it washed out semantically; content.

What I'm really hitting at it is that sort of thing tends to make people play like sheep and very linearly. Which is awful when the virtue of BT/MW is customization for the fun of it. Min/max should always be second imo.

#114 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:52 PM

View PostSoy, on 10 March 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

What I'm really hitting at it is that sort of thing tends to make people play like sheep and very linearly. Which is awful when the virtue of BT/MW is customization for the fun of it. Min/max should always be second imo.

I do wish others were putting out similar lists, for the sheer fun of debating the finer points of it.

My opinion is that new players should play like "sheep" (to an extent), and play relatively optimized builds to get them going.

To much build freedom means I get some truly awful mechs on my team fairly regularly... (I'm looking at you Mr. Multi-machine gun Dire Wolf with LRMs and Lasers).

You know you have reached a point where you are good, when you can then deviate and innovate from the typical builds and typical strategies and succeed.

#115 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:55 PM

Dude if I had to stick with a stock mech for longer than what, a dozen rounds or so I wouldn't have even bothered to stick around.

This was before cadet bonus. I think people have it easier now than early beta, but, I also think there is jack **** explained to new players and they basically stand there ****-in-hand until they get killed enough/spectate enough/read sarna/smurfy enough.

Point is there is nothing that makes me cringe more in this game than a stock loadout. I've run stock matches across all my mechs less than I could count on 2 hands. Seeing some idiot in a LRM Atlas is cringe-worthy as well, but at least the guy is thinking outside the box... just needs to learn whats 'good' or 'bad' for him/her.

Edited by Soy, 10 March 2015 - 04:56 PM.

#116 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

View PostSoy, on 10 March 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

- I'm usin 10 not 12 I think this is very important distinction. But they are same "thing" basically, I'll definitely give you that.

- When someone sees you 600m out posted, and you go into their sight line, you ****** up. Straight up. It's a no-no. It sucks. Can't do it. I work really hard and limiting that, I think it requires more work than getting a mastery of a weapon cadence, this mech's monstrous heat, or aiming. I think proper ninja **** and patience goes a long way.

- It is sluggish. This is what gets it armed or legged from that 600m in the first place, is you showed into sight line and it takes about 3-4 seconds to even move back 10 meters. Ugh. I'd poop rainbows for a week if this thing even got 5% acceleration bonus, but I keep 'buff hopes' out of sight out of mind.

- I think people have given up on JJs or maybe feel romantic about how they used to be... I spent so much time away that coming back I just isolated the Clan mech with the best 'tart' feel and went with it, I guess I'm trying to remain ignorant or optimistic about it I guess. Maybe people should I dunno, hit themselves in the head with a hammer and then after recovering, try and just isolate JJs in training or in practice solo play, and really get a full understanding of them again as they currently are, without constantly harping back to how they 'used to be'. And believe me, I know how they used to be. Just let it go I guess and accept it, get comfy, and use em as you can... :/

- I really like the ER PPC shoulder Nova, maybe throw like 2 smalls in each hand for fun and dynamic play, it's not able to do anything 'best' at that point but it's able to do proper Clan snipe tarting. Which is cool. I'd imagine some of you miss that after the Timber/JJ nerf, eh? So maybe that's the route some have gone with it and are deep into that as a comfort or bias of the Nova... reminds me, last night it occured to me, if I could put JJs on any mech (and since I'm currently Clan-only) I said.... Adder? 2x PPC on that thing w/ JJs would be fun I think, but that's a fantasy.

Yeah, that was the hardest part of getting my 12 ER SL NVA-Prime to work, was learning to just stay down for so long. There are definitely maps like River Night where you know it's going to be a good game, but there are a couple maps like Alpine where you sort of have to hope your team follows a particular plan that's good for you, or else your contribution to the game is likely to be quite minimal.

I'm not quite a JJ romanticist; I was never big on poptarting, never owned a CTF-3D or a highlander. Most of what I used JJs on have been lights- and as much as JJs are a problem right now, I absolutely don't want them to go back to the way they used to be. Honestly I feel like they'd be pretty usable on the Nova if the heat penalty was toned down. At the very least, extra JJs shouldn't generate extra heat, especially since that encourages taking just one jet on mechs that have the option, which is the opposite of what PGI was trying to accomplish. Part of it is a map design thing too- Mining Collective, HPG, and Bog all give you lots of options for jumpjet play, while almost all of the older maps you're pretty much poptarting or nothing.

I don't own a TBR, and honestly have only seen a couple other people running twin ER PPCs on the Nova. It might get more popular once the NVA-A pods become available for CB, but I haven't seen a single one on the field, and me and the other plebs running Novae are still using arm-mounted PPCs for money reasons.

#117 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:13 PM

View PostSoy, on 10 March 2015 - 04:55 PM, said:

Dude if I had to stick with a stock mech for longer than what, a dozen rounds or so I wouldn't have even bothered to stick around.

This was before cadet bonus. I think people have it easier now than early beta, but, I also think there is jack **** explained to new players and they basically stand there ****-in-hand until they get killed enough/spectate enough/read sarna/smurfy enough.

Point is there is nothing that makes me cringe more in this game than a stock loadout. I've run stock matches across all my mechs less than I could count on 2 hands. Seeing some idiot in a LRM Atlas is cringe-worthy as well, but at least the guy is thinking outside the box... just needs to learn whats 'good' or 'bad' for him/her.

Stock load out!?! My god man do you think I am a soulless monster!?!?! :D

Posted Image

No, I'd much rather have something like 1 to 2 "recommended" load outs per mech for new players, no hard rails - just something streamlined to get them started, perhaps some notes on how to play it - they can change it if they want.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 10 March 2015 - 05:13 PM.

#118 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,669 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:20 PM

View PostSoy, on 10 March 2015 - 04:55 PM, said:

That's not really what he talking about, maybe. Back when I played in the NBT leagues, we would force new players to run a strict build. Made sure EVERYTHING was exactly like we wanted, because trusting new players to deviate is asking for something bad to happen in a drop, not having enough ammo was a fairly common one (or taking one LRM5). Only if I knew that pilot knew what he was doing would I allow them to deviate.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 10 March 2015 - 05:22 PM.

#119 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 10 March 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

That's not really what he talking about, maybe. Back when I played in the NBT leagues, we would force new players to run a strict build. Made sure EVERYTHING was exactly like we wanted, because trusting new players to deviate is asking for something bad to happen in a drop, not having enough ammo was a fairly common one (or taking one LRM5). Only if I knew that pilot knew what he was doing would I allow them to deviate.

Give them enough rope and they'll strangle themselves.

#120 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:29 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 10 March 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

Sure I mean I get it, what you're sayin is pretty standard. I know what you mean. But still....

At same time if people aren't given room to experiment, even at higher levels, who will really know, ya know? How else do you quantify it w/o hard data.

Takes time to build:

^ "A mutant is very dangerous to you, because he flies fast, and shoots at you"

Edited by Soy, 10 March 2015 - 05:35 PM.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users