Let's Talk About Ping. At What Point Do You Start Actually Noticing A Difference To Your Gameplay?

475 replies to this topic

#421 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:16 PM

My internet has temporarily hitting 10+ mbps upload and download, and as high as 27 both. My ping is still 90 to 120 avg, plus I will have spikes as high as 3000. any ideas?

#422 Mjoellnir

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

No ideas sorry. Sometimes i got short freezes but Ping is always stable.
Maybe some hidden traffic in your pipe ?

European server 9ms.
American server < 100ms

Oceanic not mentionable.

Edited by Mjoellnir, 08 February 2017 - 11:15 AM.

#423 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

Try using tracert. My ping is normally 72-75, Seattle area to NA MWO server (Toronto?). But on rare occasions it can hit 125-140 for a few hours. Using tracert I found there was always a huge time deficit in the Denver backbone hub. Instead of a few ms there I was spending 40-60ms there. I can't force a route around Denver so there is nothing I can do, but at least I know why it happens.

#424 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:38 AM

Im stable around 40ms east coast... I get an added 100ms for Eu servers

But being a light pilot, a 100 ms is life and death

#425 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:18 AM

periodically I look at this thread ... every time I need a laugh ....

**** must be nice under 100ms .... I wouldn't know ... seeing as the promised Australian server, never went to Australia .... we saved a buck though ...

#426 WVAnonymous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:12 PM

View PostDar1ng One, on 13 February 2017 - 06:43 AM, said:

Change ISP's loser, 65 ping to 85 at most for me.

Mmmmmmmm.....yes

Mech-Cellent!

I have fiber to my house (well, to my garage wall). I still get packet loss between my house and Toronto that I don't get going to Singapore.

Your ISP may not be the problem.

#427 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:40 PM

I am in Canada and only play on the N.A. servers. What I find is that if I am playing around others with triple digit pings in close proximitry to my double digit ping... my game with suddenly lag when I LEAST want it to, like in a close brawl. The server seems to be crippling my player, the guy who had the good sense to play on the server to his own geographic area...to benefit those coming from other regions.

#428 Shu Horus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:43 AM

European Servers I have around 10 - 20 ms , going over to the NA Servers brings it around 100 ms.

Both are fine for casual play. But I admit, that I have two destinctive playstyles for both options. Especially with weapons that do have a recogniseable traveltime for their shots, I automaticly take a little more leading when aiming, while on the NA servers.

If ping goes over the 200 ms mark I do recognise strange behaviors.
Short way teleporting of opponents, shots not registering hits etc.

I had a few games with very unstable ping on the NA Servers (changing between 100 and 400 during the whole game) During these games I could not hit anything with PPCs or Autocannons while in motion on my own. Even shots into the back of someone running straight away in less than 200 m distance from me did not register. Very frustrating if you can see the shells impacting on your opponents back, but the crosshair just stays blue and the dolly just says...nope...no damage done.

Worst occasion of bad delay was a 1000+ spike while I was chasing another light (a Jenner if remember correctly), who suddenly disappeared right in front of me.

#429 LORD ORION

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

This has always been of special interest to me, because I often have had completely inconsistent weapon performance while having good FPS / PING.

Here is what I've found after switching to a VPN where I can adjust ping by connecting to different cities.

Ping < 50 VERY BAD
-Lasers don't register full damage when you are moving.
-Shooting many projectiles is going to fail to register roughly 33% of the time (Like multiple CUAC/UAC5s/SRMs)
-Gauss/PPC will pass straight through mechs sometimes.
-Precision shooting at rag dolls on the move is unreliable. You often hit the CT or Arms instead of side torsos unless you have a large target.
-Damage often fails to register for 1/4 second (what you see is not what the server thinks has happened). Meaning you can't make precision movement / attacks. eg: You're doing precision poking: An enemy mech will blow your torsos off after you should have stripped it and are back in cover.
-You are not likely to get kills when lasers are burning an enemy mech. You'll often see someone fire after you have laser burn, and get your kill

Ping 50-70 Not bad:
-Damage sometimes does not register properly when you are on the move.

Ping 70-100 Best:
-Game mostly works... but be realistic. You are still likely to see weapons not work properly at regular intervals. You can usually tell after an event exactly when PGI has switched to cheap mode server processing because weapons don't perform as well as they have been.

Ping 100-120 Not Bad
Still not bad... but not as good as 70-100.

Ping 120-150 OK
Normal ping game performance degradation/lag. If your ping/FPS is stable, you will likely compensate without realizing, but things will feel off if your ping drops down to 70-100. (lead time / targeting rag dolls will be minutely different)

Ping 150-200 Not Desirable
-Your lasers are not likely to work as good as they should on the move.
-Projectiles pass through targets sometimes.
-SRMs fail to register sometimes.
-You tend to explode rapidly in combat when the server catches you up to "this is what really happened" (so TTK appears lower)

PING > 200 Very Bad
-You are a potato. Stand still and only shoot non-moving targets.

Edited by LORD ORION, 14 May 2017 - 08:16 PM.

#430 Jay Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 436 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:49 PM

View PostLORD ORION, on 14 May 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

PING > 200 Very Bad

TIL

#431 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

View PostLORD ORION, on 14 May 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

PING > 200 Very Bad

Meh, some players with that ping do ok. HSR does an ok job as long as your jitter is low. Its not perfect but it don't stop one from roasting potatoes Posted Image

Variable ping , aka high jitter da biggest cause of network issues IMO.

Also if your ISP has a suxxy peering arrangement with OVH aka PGI's ISP then that can cause less than optimum routing, such as packets destined for the NA Server being routed from NA to europe and back again type of thing.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 14 May 2017 - 09:13 PM.

#432 skorpionet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 292 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:11 AM

My best matches with 200-300ms, my worst with under 50.

#433 Rurikk82

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 19 posts
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:02 AM

my pings on average are between 100-170 on NA servers and 190-240 on EU servers I notice little to no issues while playing. when i hit 400+ i see the issues of lag and hit reg

#434 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:43 PM

Ping Avg is 79-85 N . America which sucks because I run 7up and 50 down EURO 120 ping which is worse but game play is better HSR than N. America server. don't play Ocean.

The worst is HSR and Lagg when a locust or spider appear they almost hop across the screen which could be lag or FPS but I run a NVidia GTX 1050 TI with 16gb DDR5. and still get lousy FPS 50 on medium 1920x1080 native.

So your servers are really crappppy and your game is very un-optimized for my system AMD 8 Core and graphics card.

#435 Caboose30

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 880 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

So, funny story. MWO has suddenly gotten nearly impossible for me to play. I finally got someone from the cable company on the line and was able to reproduce the results. It was Netflix and MMOs. Netflix seems to have stabilized, but the second I open MWO my download goes from 70 Mbps to about 5. If they can't make this work right, I am canceling my account on the spot.

#436 Fomorian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 267 posts
  • LocationAshburn Virginia

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

My ping is averaging around 22-33 and I start seeing rubber banding and warping deaths when there are more than three or four folks with pings in the 130-230 range or higher. It's like when the game was just released! What seems to be the trouble PGI's servers or ISP?

#437 Grinster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 101 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

View PostFomorian, on 15 June 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

My ping is averaging around 22-33 and I start seeing rubber banding and warping deaths when there are more than three or four folks with pings in the 130-230 range or higher. It's like when the game was just released! What seems to be the trouble PGI's servers or ISP?

Anecdata:

#1 I have had two games with rubber-banding over the past two weeks.

#2 general ping question -
Oceanic: 150-180ms
NA: 220-260ms
European: 320-360ms

I initially only selected Oceanic but waiting for QP drops was unbearable. I now run with them all and live with it.

#3 Accuracy on lasers is 70+%; LBX10 60%; MG and AC2 50%; other ballistics 40-45%; PPCs ~30+%; SRMs 30+% and LRMs 20+%. Some of this is skills-related, especially in the early pilot career.

#438 Rattler85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:56 PM

Mine is usually around 100, but when it is about 120 or so it gets hard for me to connect with my targets.

#439 boboben1

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

I get a very steady 60-61 PING. The only time I ever notice anything wrong is when the enemy has an insanely high ping. Around 100 above me.

#440 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:52 PM

I typically have ping anywhere between 40 and 160 ms (depending on whether I'm matched on NA or EU server, and possibly some other factors affect it as well). In this range, I have not noticed any difference. I have only played on the Australian server once or twice (250-300 ms ping), and in those few times also haven't noticed anything particularly wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users