Decrease In Quality Of Mechs Being Released

376 replies to this topic

#301 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:03 PM

View PostTennex, on 11 July 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

I agree they don't.

Thank you.

They simply simulate it bird's bone structure, much like an atlas simulates a human's bone structure but will never be a human. The point is that when the creators made these "Chicken walker" mechs, it was with how a chicken walks in mind. And subsequently the joints simulate those of a bird's.

But that's the point; they don't "simulate a bird's bone structure". They have a hip joint where a bird has a knee joint, their femur is where the bird's tibia is, their tibia is where the bird's tarsals/metatarsals is.

It's a completely different structure, and the closest analogue in the animal world is a plantigrade leg mounted backwards on top of a digitigrade foot.

It is a really cool-looking leg arrangement, but it is not the same arrangement as a bird's leg.

Chicken walker mechs will never have a femur.

Yes they do, and a very prominent one too. Again, look at that picture of the Catapult. From the hip to the (reversed) knee joint, that's the "femur".

Like you said, a chicken walker will never actually walk like a chicken. I mean that isn't an arguable point lol.

So why have you been arguing it for the last few pages?

Theres no need to be stubborn. Afterall nobody here has admitted that there is no such thing as a reverse knee, or reverse plantigrade.

There is such a thing as a reverse knee; look at that Catapult up there. It has a reverse knee joint; the kneecap is pointing backwards. That there's no such thing in the animal world is what I've been saying all along.

Edit: Wow, nice aggression edit. I don't think I'll edit in any answers to that since it was mostly insults you added. I see you changed your mind. Good call.

Edited by stjobe, 11 July 2015 - 12:07 PM.

#302 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:07 PM

View Poststjobe, on 11 July 2015 - 12:03 PM, said:

Thank you.

But that's the point; they don't "simulate a bird's bone structure". They have a hip joint where a bird has a knee joint, their femur is where the bird's tibia is, their tibia is where the bird's tarsals/metatarsals is.

It's a completely different structure, and the closest analogue in the animal world is a plantigrade leg mounted backwards on top of a digitigrade foot.

It is a really cool-looking leg arrangement, but it is not the same arrangement as a bird's leg.

Yes they do, and a very prominent one too. Again, look at that picture of the Catapult. From the hip to the (reversed) knee joint, that's the "femur".

So why have you been arguing it for the last few pages?

There is such a thing as a reverse knee; look at that Catapult up there. It has a reverse knee joint; the kneecap is pointing backwards. That there's no such thing in the animal world is what I've been saying all along.

Edit: Wow, nice aggression edit. I don't think I'll edit in any answers to that since it was mostly insults you added.

Posted Image

HERP DERP

REVARS KNEE JARNT

go home man

Edited by Tennex, 11 July 2015 - 12:10 PM.

#303 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:16 PM

View PostTennex, on 11 July 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

Posted Image

HERP DERP

REVARS KNEE JARNT

go home man

Yeah. You know, there's actually nothing bad about being wrong and acknowledging it, perhaps even learning something from it; it doesn't make you any less of a person. Quite the opposite.

Responding like that though? Yeah, that does make you less of a person.

Edit: And this:

Posted Image

was acknowledged as a bug and is supposedly fixed (although I don't know if that is actually true, since I don't own any Clan 'mechs).

Edited by stjobe, 11 July 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#304 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:19 PM

View Poststjobe, on 11 July 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

Yeah. You know, there's actually nothing bad about being wrong and acknowledging it, perhaps even learning something from it; it doesn't make you any less of a person. Quite the opposite.

Responding like that though? Yeah, that does make you less of a person.

Lol being wrong? I dont see what kind of mental gymnastics it take to look at that GIF and still try to be able to justify "reverse knee" joints and then call someone else wrong.

I'm sorry dude i got things to do today

#305 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

View PostTennex, on 11 July 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

Lol being wrong? I dont see what kind of mental gymnastics it take to look at that GIF and still try to be able to justify "reverse knee" joints and then call someone else wrong.

Posted Image

The knee is bending the lower leg (tibia/fibula) forwards, that's the opposite (or with another word, "reverse") of what every animal knee does; hence "reverse knee joint".

I really don't understand how this is such a hard concept to grasp.

#306 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:13 PM

View Poststjobe, on 11 July 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

Posted Image

The knee is bending the lower leg (tibia/fibula) forwards, that's the opposite (or with another word, "reverse") of what every animal knee does; hence "reverse knee joint".

I really don't understand how this is such a hard concept to grasp.

what's sadly laughable about this, is if he looked up pretty much ANY article on chicken walkers and robotics, it's pretty explicit.

#307 Mavairo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:20 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 July 2015 - 01:13 PM, said:

what's sadly laughable about this, is if he looked up pretty much ANY article on chicken walkers and robotics, it's pretty explicit.

To be fair, you can't expect a bunch of guys who don't even have the sense to use already existing sexy mech models, who then replace those said models with Weeny Gun™, Fugly unimaginative laser cases, and VCRs, to actually do something as basic as researching chickenwalker animations.

Mediocrity is too much to expect from people who have that poor of taste.

Edited by Mavairo, 11 July 2015 - 01:23 PM.

#308 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:27 PM

View Poststjobe, on 14 March 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

Yeah, we know. But back in the day PGI/IGP was still under the delusion that MWO was going to be the next big e-sport (yeah, I know. I want what they were smoking too), so they probably thought performance on low-spec machines was more important than good looks - so now we have neither.

I know what IGP was smokin...

Good stuff you should try.

#309 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

View PostMavairo, on 11 July 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

To be fair, you can't expect a bunch of guys who don't even have the sense to use already existing sexy mech models, who then replace those said models with Weeny Gun™, Fugly unimaginative laser cases, and VCRs, to actually do something as basic as researching chickenwalker animations.

Mediocrity is too much to expect from people who have that poor of taste.

Yeah. Well more fool me, I actually made the mistake of once thinking Tennex was a little above that level.

#310 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:34 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 July 2015 - 01:13 PM, said:

I liked the one where the guy built this 'mech costume for his kid on Halloween.

I've queued it up to where he talks about the legs "just like yours, only the knee bends backwards, not forwards":

Edit: Go to 0:53, linking with time doesn't seem to work?

Edited by stjobe, 11 July 2015 - 01:35 PM.

#311 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

View Poststjobe, on 11 July 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

I liked the one where the guy built this 'mech costume for his kid on Halloween.

I've queued it up to where he talks about the legs "just like yours, only the knee bends backwards, not forwards":

Edit: Go to 0:53, linking with time doesn't seem to work?

and how this very subject is covered by pretty anyone working in bipedal robotics.

#312 ShadowWolf Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:54 PM

I think the art team at PGI is more interested in making cool and fun mechs, not working on a engineering doctorate. Reality has to take a backseat for games.

People keep bringing up how realistic they want things, blah blah blah and yet they don't seem to understand what that means really.

This is a realistic sim. Enjoy.

#313 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 July 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

Yeah. Well more fool me, I actually made the mistake of once thinking Tennex was a little above that level.

That's what happens when you hire from the dollarstore.

#314 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:02 PM

View PostShadowWolf Kell, on 11 July 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

I think the art team at PGI is more interested in making cool and fun mechs, not working on a engineering doctorate. Reality has to take a backseat for games.

People keep bringing up how realistic they want things, blah blah blah and yet they don't seem to understand what that means really.

one doesn't obviate the other. Also, pointing out that the premise of someone's "FIX IT RARRGH!!!!!!" rant has no actual basis in fact despite his claims otherwise, not the same as pushing to make the game into a Sim.

It's more like pointing out why they need a chill pill. And trying to help them craft a more compelling argument. Sadly, correctness doesn't appear to fit his agenda.

#315 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:09 PM

View PostShadowWolf Kell, on 11 July 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

On a scale from "completely unrealistic" to "OMG it takes 30 minutes just to power-up!", I'd like MWO to take a few steps right, instead of the several steps left it has already taken.

It's not one or the other, you know, it's a sliding scale with many discrete points in-between complete fantasy and utter realism.

#316 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:37 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 July 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

A personal attack? you guys miss me or something?

View PostMavairo, on 11 July 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

That's what happens when you hire from the dollarstore.

Radiologist actually, but close. The hell would I know about how joints work.

But I am above arguing with people on the internet about who's imaginary imaginary method of locomotion for mechs is more correct than another person's

Edited by Tennex, 11 July 2015 - 03:40 PM.

#317 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:45 PM

View PostTennex, on 11 July 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

But I am above arguing with people on the internet about who's imaginary imaginary method of locomotion for mechs is more correct than another person's

Except reverse joints actually work different, especially MECHANICAL joints.
You might know biology..but let those of us that have a background in mechanical engineering, and or machining, have our mere pittance of due alright?

#318 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:03 PM

Why... why is this thread going on?

What punishment did I deserve to get all of this?

:(

#319 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

View PostTennex, on 11 July 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

Just responding in kind. Oh, wait, patronizing, arrogant, dismissive (and wrong) posts are meant to be insulting?

My bad.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 01 March 2019 - 06:21 PM.

#320 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:30 PM

But for a radiologist, would have thought you'd know a little more about that whole "hip bones connected to the back bone" thing.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users