376 replies to this topic

#341 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:17 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 July 2015 - 08:15 PM, said:

it's neck? Doesn't have one, also, it's atlantoaxial. Just as you seem to be lacking the Vertebral column to admit when you are wrong.

And so, you remove the whole femur, and hip, and just attack the knee to the pelvis? Brilliant. Grasping at bad semantics, much?

but doesn't an atlas need a neck to move around?!?! How ever will it turn its head or walk its legs!?? !?

Edited by Tennex, 11 July 2015 - 08:17 PM.

#342 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:22 PM

View PostTennex, on 11 July 2015 - 08:17 PM, said:

but doesn't an atlas need a neck to move around?!?! How ever will it turn its head or walk its legs!?? !?

gosh, wonder how people with fused spines walk.......

#343 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:23 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 July 2015 - 08:22 PM, said:

gosh, wonder how people with fused spines walk.......

well there u have ur answer for where the femur is. its fused into the tibia, and sockets into the hip joint. Super Simple Stuff

#344 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:25 PM

View PostTennex, on 11 July 2015 - 08:23 PM, said:

well there u have ur answer for where the femur is. its fused into the tibia, and sockets into the hip joint. Super Simple Stuff

Yes, except totally not remotely the same.

I'd say good job revealing your fail, but you did that like 2 pages ago.

By all means, continue trying to wiki answers, and dig your hole deeper.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 11 July 2015 - 08:25 PM.

#345 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:30 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 July 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

Yes, except totally not remotely the same.

I'd say good job revealing your fail, but you did that like 2 pages ago.

By all means, continue trying to wiki answers, and dig your hole deeper.

LOL bro ur so ignorant you don't realize the actual other proposal makes no sense. Its like trying to argue with a 5 year old. "oh whats a calcaneous, doesnt matter says 90% of animals don't have it"

I don't know what i did to deserve this, and am glad i am not going into patient care. Good night.

#346 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:11 PM

... if you ask me, start from the bottom up. Some mechs have phalanges, others don't. The Mad Cat you guys are arguing about doesn't have phalanges, but our MWO Timberwolf in fact quite obviously does. ... I was going to explain this in words, but meh. Time for GIMP.

Posted Image

That's how I see it. There is no physical femur. Hence in lore it is described that chicken walkers were less popular with pilots - more challenging to operate, not as smooth (perhaps because it's literally missing an entire segment compared to its biological counterpart)

#347 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:50 PM

View PostTarogato, on 11 July 2015 - 10:11 PM, said:

... if you ask me, start from the bottom up. Some mechs have phalanges, others don't. The Mad Cat you guys are arguing about doesn't have phalanges, but our MWO Timberwolf in fact quite obviously does. ... I was going to explain this in words, but meh. Time for GIMP.

Posted Image

That's how I see it. There is no physical femur. Hence in lore it is described that chicken walkers were less popular with pilots - more challenging to operate, not as smooth (perhaps because it's literally missing an entire segment compared to its biological counterpart)

Oh good, someone who knows whats going on. And he also happen to make very good scale charts.

I've had to try to explain to people that they can't wiggle their heels(calcaneous/tarsus). It doesn't make sense for a mech's hind toe to be a heel(calcaenous/tarsus) because a mech's hind toe has joints. The last time anybody had heels that had joints, they were a velociraptor. This would put the "heel" much higher up like in chickens. *gasp* what a coincidence.

Edited by Tennex, 12 July 2015 - 12:41 AM.

#348 Jin Ma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:40 AM

Posted Image

That makes too much sense. Please stop. These people get stuck on logic like a fly trap

#349 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:02 AM

Posted Image

In the case of the Puma, it does indeed have a thigh (where the 'Mech's femur would be located) along with all of other corresponding segments and joints.
Posted Image

And, again, the same is true for the Mad Cat as well.
Posted Image

Both of those 'Mechs (the Puma and the Mad Cat) are plantigrades - "the entire foot maintains contact with the ground when standing or ambulating".

By contrast, 'Mechs like the Nova Cat are digitigrades - "standing or walking on its toes and not touching the ground with its heels".
Posted Image

#350 Jin Ma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:05 AM

Didn't I tell you you would get flies?

#351 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:13 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 12 July 2015 - 01:02 AM, said:

Posted Image

Both of those 'Mechs (the Puma and the Mad Cat) are plantigrades - "the entire foot maintains contact with the ground when standing or ambulating".

By contrast, 'Mechs like the Nova Cat are digitigrades - "standing or walking on its toes and not touching the ground with its heels".
Posted Image

I see 2 Digitigrades here

Posted Image

Since we are using sciency terms. What the heck is in a "pelvic assembly" anyway

Edited by Tennex, 12 July 2015 - 01:30 AM.

#352 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:45 AM

Just to put things in perspective a bit, that nicely coloured image of the Mad Cat with a "hidden" femur was a "what-if" by Jin Ma:

View PostJin Ma, on 15 March 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

I'm about to blow your mind

Posted Image

What if - what if the femur was next to the body like in most contemporary birds

What if indeed? Well for one it does not work because the joint connecting what's labelled as the "tibia/fibula" to what's labelled as the "femur" is quite obviously not a knee joint; it is a hip joint.

If you don't believe me, perhaps you'd be more inclined to believe the PGI art department, who clearly labelled the same joint on the Catapult a "rounded 'hip' joint":

Posted Image

More importantly though, there's no need to invent a femur, since the thigh (containing the femur) is quite obviously visible on all our chicken walker 'mechs. In fact, in the case of the Mad Cat, Strum Wealh was nice enough to point out that the rest of the major leg components are present as well:

Posted Image

Please also notice as opposed to the TT line drawing Jin Ma used to invent his femur, the in-game model of the Mad Cat has no protrusions at the middle of the leg. Because that's not an ankle with a heel, it's a knee.

Reversed, at that.

Edited by stjobe, 12 July 2015 - 01:45 AM.

#353 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:40 AM

View PostJin Ma, on 12 July 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

Didn't I tell you you would get flies?

That is a notes side effect of spreading bullcrap.

View PostTennex, on 12 July 2015 - 01:13 AM, said:

I see 2 Digitigrades here

Posted Image

Since we are using sciency terms. What the heck is in a "pelvic assembly" anyway

Probably a good thing you went into radiology instead of veterinary science, then. And please stay far away from the field of bio-mimetics.

#354 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:45 AM

Man, look how seriously these guys go at it. One would think they are old theologians debating the locations of Jesus' crucifixion wounds. :rolleyes:

#355 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:55 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 12 July 2015 - 03:45 AM, said:

Man, look how seriously these guys go at it. One would think they are old theologians debating the locations of Jesus' crucifixion wounds. :rolleyes:

Posted Image
"What do you want me to do? LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!"
(https://xkcd.com/386/)

Edited by stjobe, 12 July 2015 - 04:17 AM.

#356 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:49 AM

View Poststjobe, on 12 July 2015 - 01:45 AM, said:

Just to put things in perspective a bit, that nicely coloured image of the Mad Cat with a "hidden" femur was a "what-if" by Jin Ma:

What if indeed? Well for one it does not work because the joint connecting what's labelled as the "tibia/fibula" to what's labelled as the "femur" is quite obviously not a knee joint; it is a hip joint.

If you don't believe me, perhaps you'd be more inclined to believe the PGI art department, who clearly labelled the same joint on the Catapult a "rounded 'hip' joint":

Posted Image

More importantly though, there's no need to invent a femur, since the thigh (containing the femur) is quite obviously visible on all our chicken walker 'mechs. In fact, in the case of the Mad Cat, Strum Wealh was nice enough to point out that the rest of the major leg components are present as well:

Posted Image

Please also notice as opposed to the TT line drawing Jin Ma used to invent his femur, the in-game model of the Mad Cat has no protrusions at the middle of the leg. Because that's not an ankle with a heel, it's a knee.

There will always be a protrusion. (thank you for at least taking the time to understand the whole, ankle and heel thing)

Posted Image

A lot mech artists and costume artists know about as much anatomy as u guys do.
probably more though, since alex put 'hip' in quotes, understanding it is not really an anatomic equivalent to a hip.

People look at the ostrich. Or whatever bird have you, and think that the bend is the knee. The go create the mech, and think that the joint there is the knee or hip. Is that so hard to understand? It doesn't change the fact that the joint it is supposed to be emulating is not the knee.

Illustrated it very clearly here:

Posted Image

Edited by Tennex, 12 July 2015 - 06:11 AM.

#357 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:51 AM

tennex, you are doing a great job :3

upd:

Posted Image

the third catapult in the upper row is damn adorable

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 12 July 2015 - 05:53 AM.

#358 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:53 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 12 July 2015 - 05:51 AM, said:

tennex, you are doing a great job :3

upd:

Posted Image

the third catapult in the upper row is damn adorable

Thanks buddy its good to see ppl who understand the leg structures a bit

Edited by Tennex, 12 July 2015 - 05:56 AM.

#359 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:57 AM

View PostTennex, on 12 July 2015 - 05:53 AM, said:

Thanks buddy its good to see ppl who understand the leg structures a bit

just a shame it's not you.

#360 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:07 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 July 2015 - 05:57 AM, said:

just a shame it's not you.

lol what are you doing man, your just siting here making personal attacks at every other post, liking other ppl's every posts and overall contributing very little to the discussion

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users