376 replies to this topic

#81 The Mechromancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:56 PM

Posted Image

that slender torso... ;_; maybe one day...

#82 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,756 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:00 PM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 14 March 2015 - 04:53 PM, said:

So there's pretty much three points here. Translation between 2D concept and 3D model, quality of animation and model size.

Personally I think people are a little hard on the modellers. I don't think it's really possible to get an absolutely perfect representation of a 2D concept into a 3D model, especially if they're working from the perspective art rather than front and side diagrams. While Alex's concept art is great and looks great, our minds tend to 'repair' elements of a drawing that don't quite make sense in a physical or 3D sense. So things will always look a little different. Sure, there's some major differences to come out of them, like the Enforcer's cockpit, but I think people underestimate the difficulty in modelling something like that.

If Alex is generating orthographic views for front/back and side views then there is less "repairing" needed. The translations from 2D to 3D have gotten really hit or miss lately, especially with the heads of mechs. The Gargoyle and Enforcer are the main examples with the Ice Ferret being a close second with its weird jaw region.

#83 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:09 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 14 March 2015 - 05:00 PM, said:

If Alex is generating orthographic views for front/back and side views then there is less "repairing" needed. The translations from 2D to 3D have gotten really hit or miss lately, especially with the heads of mechs. The Gargoyle and Enforcer are the main examples with the Ice Ferret being a close second with its weird jaw region.

Its like a game of telephone and there is a loss of some of the intended style with every step.

But I think the biggest step that loses the essence of the original art is from Concept -> Ortho. In the case of the urbanmech the 3D art looks very similar to the ortho.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tennex, 14 March 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#84 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:17 PM

View Postaniviron, on 14 March 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

Not anymore it doesn't. :[ IK is desperately needed in this game, it just looks so awful without it; but at this point there would be such a huge backlog of mechs to rig for it I doubt it'll ever be reimplemented.

Not true, actually. I remember hearing in one of the townhalls or podcasts that all newly released mechs have all the bells and whistles like inverse kinematics and knowndown animations included on launch. It's something they could literally turn on globally overnight without any extra effort if they wanted to.

I do want to see a King Crab knocked over and have to get back up on a significant incline...

Edited by Tarogato, 14 March 2015 - 05:18 PM.

#85 Lulz Kev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:58 PM

View PostRoboPatton, on 14 March 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

probably my biggest bone of contention is odd mech size... tried leveling out my centurions this last week, just sold most of them out of frustration of being nearly as big as an atlas, with half the firepower and armor.
Not even gonna bother buying a catapult at this point lol.
SECOND PASS TIME PGI!

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 14 March 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

I really think PGI NEEDS to go over EVERY single mech and resize them to a scale that would make sense, from Locusts to Atli (or Atlases, or whatever the plural of Atlas is)
But i know they won't do that.

View PostVassago Rain, on 14 March 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

The clan release was strictly a cash grab and rushed, so of course the quality was terrible.
I used to look forward to new robots. Nowadays, not so much, because new robots always end up looking worse than what came before.
We've got terms like VCRs, hoverjets, pumping the jets, scaling, cancer, missile tubes, and legos now.

Hopefully someone at PGI views this thread. Someone create a support ticket or tweet russ a link see if we can't get a comment on future graphical pass.

I agree with the above. PGI needs to take a month or two from dumping new content, and polish up all the old assets. Fix weapon geometry and Mech scaling.

If it's money that's stopping them maybe they should do something like they did with the Ubranmech. How they said they wouldn't devote any time to it unless they got enough pre-orders.

They could put out an asset pack. Something around $10-$20. It would include a unique skin or camo for Mechs and if they reach a pre-order goal devote time to making a graphic pass improving scaling and other assets. If they don't get enough pre-orders they can just release the unique Mech skins or cancel it all together.

Edited by DTF Kev, 14 March 2015 - 05:59 PM.

#86 Jin Ma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 14 March 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

They cant keep selling mechs unless they drum up new business and they dont drum up new business by simply giving us new mechs.

Give us PVE, 4v4, buff the economy, fix performance, give more depth and point to gameplay, they will get their money and we will get increased playerbase. RUnning status quo and thinking people will just come in and stay is wrong.....

Yes please

Decals and geometry customization

#87 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

View PostTarogato, on 14 March 2015 - 05:17 PM, said:

Not true, actually. I remember hearing in one of the townhalls or podcasts that all newly released mechs have all the bells and whistles like inverse kinematics and knowndown animations included on launch.

Must have been a podcast, because I'm pretty sure no such thing was said in any of the townhalls. Also, just because it was the case whenever it was that you heard it does not mean that it is the case now. Someone with some CryEngine-Fu might be able to find something in the game files; but if absent remember that lack of it being there is also not evidence that the data doesn't exist, simply that if such data exists that it is absent from the files included in the patches.

Edited by Escef, 14 March 2015 - 06:50 PM.

#88 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:10 PM

View PostTarogato, on 14 March 2015 - 05:17 PM, said:

It's something they could literally turn on globally overnight without any extra effort if they wanted to.

I remember my first video game too.

#89 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

View PostEscef, on 14 March 2015 - 06:07 PM, said:

Must have been a podcast, because I'm pretty sure no such thing was said in any of the townhalls. Also, just because it was the case whenever it was that you heard it does not mean that it is the case now. Someone with some CryEngine-Fu might be able to find something in the game files; but if absent remember that lack of it being there is also not evidence that the data doesn't exist, simply that if such data exists that it is absent from the files included in the patches.

i'm pretty sure it was in a forum post from one of the devs.

#90 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:29 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 14 March 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

They cant keep selling mechs unless they drum up new business and they dont drum up new business by simply giving us new mechs.

Give us PVE, 4v4, buff the economy, fix performance, give more depth and point to gameplay, they will get their money and we will get increased playerbase. RUnning status quo and thinking people will just come in and stay is wrong.....

give
me
the
consistent cbills

#91 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:29 PM

View PostDTF Kev, on 14 March 2015 - 05:58 PM, said:

...I agree with the above. PGI needs to take a month or two from dumping new content, and polish up all the old assets. Fix weapon geometry and Mech scaling...

While I personally would love that I wouldn´t hold my breath.

The release frequency became so high and the amount of fixing neccessary just rises and rises. It might already be too late to start working on that backlog.

View PostTennex, on 14 March 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

Posted Image

Looks pretty decent compared to awesome. It could still be taller since the awesome is pretty thick

Thanks mate, appreciated

Frankly speaking being a bit taller isn´t as bad as being fat. See Shadowhawk. The Zeus looks about only 4/5 as broad as the AWS. Even the limbs are slimmer and especially the "hips and belly". The depth of the Mech is yet unclear, but from what I can see here I predict the Zeus is not going to be such a huge fail glasscannon as the poor Awesome if they don´t screw up the hitboxes more than usual.

Also note the hardpoint placement, especially the huge difference in the arm mounted weapons. That left arm ballistic weapon is going to be useful. No hand actuator and sufficiently high placed.

If the Zeus wouldn´t be a stinking Elsie Mech, I would dare to say I am going to like it.

PS: Someone still has to explain to me why all MWO Mechs hold their arms the way they do.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 14 March 2015 - 06:48 PM.

#92 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:49 PM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 14 March 2015 - 06:29 PM, said:

The release frequency became so high and the amount of fixing neccessary just rises and rises. It might already be too late to start working on that backlog.

I, for one, would love to see a polish week for the mechs

Edited by Jin Ma, 14 March 2015 - 06:50 PM.

#93 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:57 PM

Me too, but we are talking about a company that doesn´t redo -dysfunctional- maps and terrain collision, despite being showered with screenshots to find and weed out the faulty spots, because maps don´t sell.

So...

PS: I fear the upcoming CW map. Those pillars...JJs...gawd

Edited by Molossian Dog, 14 March 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#94 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 14 March 2015 - 06:29 PM, said:

Thanks mate, appreciated

Frankly speaking being a bit taller isn´t as bad as being fat. See Shadowhawk. The Zeus looks about only 4/5 as broad as the AWS. Even the limbs are slimmer and especially the "hips and belly". The depth of the Mech is yet unclear, but from what I can see here I predict the Zeus is not going to be such a huge fail glasscannon as the poor Awesome if they don´t screw up the hitboxes more than usual.

Also note the hardpoint placement, especially the huge difference in the arm mounted weapons. That left arm ballistic weapon is going to be useful. No hand actuator and sufficiently high placed.

If the Zeus wouldn´t be a stinking Elsie Mech, I would dare to say I am going to like it.

PS: Someone still has to explain to me why all MWO Mechs hold their arms the way they do.

Yes, well, the Zeus also comes with a +76 armor bonus, and the Awesome has a measly +40 structure. It's not even going to be a contest which is more durable.

View PostJin Ma, on 14 March 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

I, for one, would love to see a polish week for the mechs

A polish half year might be needed.

#95 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:38 PM

View PostTennex, on 14 March 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

Mech scaling continues to be terrible
Posted Image

Posted Image

That grasshopper is freaking GIANT...

This is why we can't have nice things.

#96 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:51 PM

View PostThe Mechromancer, on 14 March 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

Posted Image

that slender torso... ;_; maybe one day...

yes, then set the arms higher up more like most of all the Warhawk pictures on google. The arms do not dangle around the waist, the guns are very long, and are high up around the middle of the ST.

Or maybe its the Warhawk's Torso is just alot shorter, thinner and smaller overall then MWO.....

I would also love the ability to scan around my mech in Training Grounds....get a nice stock pile of images to put as my desktop images.

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 14 March 2015 - 07:54 PM.

#97 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

View PostXetelian, on 14 March 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

That grasshopper is freaking GIANT...

Whew, yeah, a whole half a head taller than the 'phract.

#98 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:06 PM

View PostSarlic, on 14 March 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

This one bothered me for ages.

"Bothered?" As in, it bothers you no more?

Please, share with the rest of us... what is your secret!?

#99 Prc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires - Argentina

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:15 PM

Yep is poor, animations are indeed terrible wanna cry comparing to mw4 sometimes

Posted Image

mechs seems to be sliding/floating in mwo

#100 DoomEngine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 123 posts
  • Locationsomewhere on Old Kentucky

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:32 PM

Damn- after seeing the Vlog earlier today I was excited about my next purchase's arrival- then I read this and just wanna go get drunk... :(

26 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users