Petition To Delay Grasshopper Release Until Scaling Fix

268 replies to this topic

#221 Stoned Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:13 PM

View PostFate 6, on 15 March 2015 - 07:11 AM, said:

I showed my girlfriend that picture and asked her which one she thought was heavier. Her answer: "the left one. The right one. This is a trick question".

PGI pls

Youre girlfriend is correct, asd you havent provided her all the data. Without 3 dimensions,there is not way to know which is heavier. All these mooks whining about how this mech or that is oversized arent taking the 3rd dimension into account. Its an intelligence thing.

#222 Adamski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 15 March 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

I would be interested in seeing a list of the volumes of all mechs. After seeing a list of all of them and comparing them we can see exactly how much volume/ton ratio effects how viable it is. But I would bet if you look at all mechs its not much of a factor. I would bet firepower and hit boxes are the main deciding factors.

The Shadowhawk is not good just becaus of jump jets and high hard points. And its not just me saying that. For example Metemechs under stregths "Good hitboxes, probably the best of the Inner Sphere 55 tonners. It has a slim profile,". The Grasshopper can be just as good if PGI did the hit boxes correctly.

Also TT heights and volume are not always going to relate without lots of planning. Mechs are getting complete design up dates. And with much more thought put into pleasing aesthetics.

And height is not the over all main problem or many times a problem at all. How viable a mech is is a combination of many things.

Thanks for moving the goalpost but that is not how the forum game is played. The game has a standardized weight to available armor ratio, so a standardized weight to volume only makes sense.

There is no such thing as TT Volume,unless you are talking about the mini's which were meant as a rough guide and not to scale.

Hitboxes are also a function of volume, combined with mech design.

Honestly, outside of the concept art, PGI's art department really needs to step up their work. (See: Mech sizes, terrain scaling, map design, cockpit monitors still unfinished, etc)

#223 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:37 PM

And then we say PGI is a competitive group of devs who are doing everything right and improving after their separation..

its the same stuff happening again..

i.e. Ignore the community, ignore the issues and pump out mech packs without even bothering to see what their paid customers are saying.

#224 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:59 PM

View PostStoned Prophet, on 15 March 2015 - 07:13 PM, said:

Youre girlfriend is correct, asd you havent provided her all the data. Without 3 dimensions,there is not way to know which is heavier. All these mooks whining about how this mech or that is oversized arent taking the 3rd dimension into account. Its an intelligence thing.

Its an intelligence thing.

Youre girlfriend

I think I've made my point

View PostAdamski, on 15 March 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

cockpit monitors still unfinished

This is literally the most glaring error in the entire game, but we've lived with it so long that nobody even thinks about it.

#225 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:03 PM

I'll sign under the condition that the Zues and the Grasshopper switch sizes.

#226 McMatt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:15 PM

Crab is assault and how high is it? And it's smaller than some meds and heavys... Grasshopper has long legs. Let me think: where did it get name from?

#227 Stoned Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:17 PM

View PostFate 6, on 15 March 2015 - 09:59 PM, said:

I think I've made my point

This is literally the most glaring error in the entire game, but we've lived with it so long that nobody even thinks about it.

OH GOD A TYPO! Strawman much?

#228 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:18 PM

View PostMcMatt, on 15 March 2015 - 10:15 PM, said:

Crab is assault and how high is it? And it's smaller than some meds and heavys... Grasshopper has long legs. Let me think: where did it get name from?

Crab is huge, it's wide and long and it's profile from above is a landing platform.

#229 Gattsus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:26 PM

Lolololo thought it was a highlander because of the height.

I was expecting something along the lines of a shadowhawk

#230 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:26 PM

View PostStoned Prophet, on 15 March 2015 - 10:17 PM, said:

OH GOD A TYPO! Strawman much?

That's not a straw man. Please, if you're going to try to call someone on that, at least use it correctly. The word you're looking for here is "irony". It's ironic that you're talking about intelligence and can't use the right "your".

#231 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:40 AM

View PostFate 6, on 15 March 2015 - 09:59 PM, said:

Its not that much an error.
They have to be implemented in Scaleform with the current engine, and that has major CPU load problems.
The load from the HUD is bad enough, a bunch of dynamic screens will kill it.

Needs major reworks for fancier cockpit screens to be a possibility.

#232 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:45 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 15 March 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Dunno if they will see this, tried sending to PGI on Twitter?

Russ has already been commenting on there.
Says its fine, something about collision box templates needing to be filled it looked like, who knows, obviously its locked in now so just have to see how it performs and then complain for quirk buffs if its a dud.

So far Resistance has defied its predicted failures and been pretty good, so it cant be too bad.

#233 blood4blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 527 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:32 AM

Looking at the comparison pics, Grasshopper has a much shorter torso and skinnier legs. The straight-on visible surface area looks a lot smaller than the Zeus or the QKD, and it's dwarfed by the Atlas' torso size, even though they're about the same height. I'll wait and see how the hit boxes match up with the graphics in-game before committing to an opinion on whether this one is messed up, or just really tall. It looks ripe to be one of those mechs people complain about for shots going under arm pits and between the legs.

#234 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:38 AM

View PostFate 6, on 15 March 2015 - 10:26 PM, said:

That's not a straw man. Please, if you're going to try to call someone on that, at least use it correctly. The word you're looking for here is "irony". It's ironic that you're talking about intelligence and can't use the right "your".

Yeah, it wasn't a straw man it was an ad hominem.
Attacking the person who made the argument instead of refuting the argument itself.

#235 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

I really wish they'd just scale mechs such that all mechs have the same density.

Of course, this would probably make a Spider as tall as an Atlas, but MWO's midget light mechs have always been ridiculously small compared to the other classes.

#236 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:10 AM

And now please make a vertical comparison.

yes the hopper is higher, but guess what from head to hands its less mech, so way better hill humping.

so pelase if you compare, compare everthing and compare it objectively.

Edit: oh found bucktross, comparison, finally some more science in the thread. True science about what matters in MWO.

Edited by Lily from animove, 16 March 2015 - 07:14 AM.

#237 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:22 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 16 March 2015 - 07:10 AM, said:

And now please make a vertical comparison.

yes the hopper is higher, but guess what from head to hands its less mech, so way better hill humping.

so pelase if you compare, compare everthing and compare it objectively.

Edit: oh found bucktross, comparison, finally some more science in the thread. True science about what matters in MWO.

Funny how some people think beating the Cataphract (super low arm hard point) of all mechs on exposed area, means it is all good and well.

However, that is a very different issue than what I am actually pissed about--the fact that PGI is making a 70 ton mech as tall as an Atlas.

Edited by El Bandito, 16 March 2015 - 11:09 PM.

#238 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:25 AM

I'm willing to bet my account that the Grasshopper has no major issues with survivability. The Shadowhawk is very tall yet is one of the most durable mediums.

People are erroneously linking the weight of a mech to its height and thinking this should be the only factor in its size. I honestly can't believe how blinkered and just plain dumb some of you are.

The mech's mass, overall size and profile is what counts, not just its damn height!

#239 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:10 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 15 March 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

IS Narc doesn't fit on the head of any missile capable IS Mech (Shadowhawks like the 2D2 and Cataphract-4X as obvious examples). Please check your facts. Thanks. Clan NARC can do that... but we can't do mixtech here (yet)...

Yes, like die quickly.

Nothing in the Heavy bracket compares to the Timberwolf, so that's kind of a ridiculous point.

then i just tell you to learn to torso twist and jump-twist.
or you just cant play smart enough for a quickdraw and need superior firepower.

quickdraw dies fast? i would know that. it doesnt.
in fact its one of the best zombie mechs at this point IF you can play them which alot of people simply cant because it doesnt have OMGWTFROFLPWN quirks that make playing certain mechs easier than it should ever be.

about the head narc... i am one of these guys that check the mechs and how they can be configured when i have them in my hangar and not earlier to make useless assumptions on how it might be. if it cant fit a narc in the head anytime soon, fine. i can live with a srm4.

#240 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:22 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 March 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

Funny how some people think beating the Cataphract (super low arm hard point) of all mechs on exposed area, means it is all good and well. Good players just poptart from the nipple guns of the Phract for almost unrivalled minimum exposure anyway--something the Grasshopper cannot do.

However, that is a very different issue than what I am actually pissed about--the fact that PGI is making a 70 ton mech as tall as an Atlas.

yeha but only able to sue the nipple guns simply means less damage per pop.

and 70tons tall as an atlas is still better than 50 tons and fat as an atlas with CT size of a dragon. So lots of mechs are worse, but the grasshopper isn't. At least, not by shape.

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users