Worst Battletech Mech Ever Is...?

139 replies to this topic

#1 MarauderBronze

• PipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

I see a lot of posts discussing the worst mechs in MWO, and also many posts discussing what is the best mech in MWO/Battletech Lore that people would love to see brought to life.

I'm wondering, what is the absolute WORST mech ever conceived across any and all Battletech related media (books, tabletop, video games, ANYTHING) in your opinion?

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Urbanmech.

#3 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

definitely the Urbanmech, slow as hell, and that AC/10 isn't much of an asset when the current metagame insures you'll be a crater before you get close enough to use it.

#4 Parliment

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 160 posts
  • LocationBehind you ...go ahead and look I dare you.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

Everything Clan

#5 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:21 AM

Any of those modernized 100ton Mechs from TRO 3050 (As7-k, imp and the worst of all Marauder II)
all XL and SHS- all does overheat and the Mad 2 has ammunition in on torso CASE in the other - yes that are the worst mechs of bt - expensive {Scrap}

#6 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:27 AM

Any charger with an STD400.

You can get the same amount of free tonnage and speed with a 20 ton mech for much less than the 7 million cbills they cost.

Hell, you can get a marauder, one of the best tech level one heavy mechs for less. Or if you want to go 5/8 you can pick up one of the classic 5/8/X 55 ton mechs, a Dragon (the 1G in particular is nice), or even a Quickdraw or Champion for less than the cost of a Charger and have a way better mech that weighs less.

I mean the urbie at least is cheap and reasonably good at urban defense, the 3050 abominations do at least fill a role even if only poorly. But the charger? While it can be fun to play with solely for charging but realistically it's easily the worst mech in battletech.

#7 DevlinCognito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 504 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

Hollander II

A 'Mech that can destroy itself by firing its own weapon. If it fires its Heavy Gauss, fails the piloting skill roll, falls on its back, it can pierce its own rear armour and crit the Gauss which explodes destroying the XL engine.

Those crazy Lyrans.

#8 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

Stock Dragon.

It literally has the worst DPT of any heavy, and to make matters worse, it's almost-redeeming medium lasers fire backwards.

Worst 'mech in the game. At least the Urbanmech is relatively cheap.

View PostDevlinCognito, on 17 November 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Hollander II

A 'Mech that can destroy itself by firing its own weapon.

It can also destroy any 'mech in it's own weight class with a direct hit, so "gimmicky" =/= "worst" I think

View PostVanguard319, on 16 November 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

definitely the Urbanmech, slow as hell, and that AC/10 isn't much of an asset when the current metagame insures you'll be a crater before you get close enough to use it.

People seem to forget the "Urban" in the name.

I suspect most people who knock the Urbanmech as a waste of BV have never played on a city map. The speed becomes a non-issue as your low-BV force is able to hammer AC/10s & 20s into the face of any heavies stumbling down the wrong alleyway.

Obviously it's no Awesome or anything, but well worth it's price.

Edited by Victor Morson, 17 November 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#9 Haakon Valravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 354 posts
  • LocationSWMT

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Ares and Poseidon.

#10 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

I got to go with the original banshee. only a 4/6 and virtually no weapons to speak of.

#11 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 16 November 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

Urbanmech.

HERESY! The Urbanmech is a symbol of radiant Awesomeness!

View Postdal10, on 17 November 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

I got to go with the original banshee. only a 4/6 and virtually no weapons to speak of.

In all seriousness though, I would have to agree with this. Although MWO would probably redeem this chassis, the Stock Banshee was a terrible mech. Hell, it wasn't even that fast, which was supposedly the design goal.

And as mentioned above, in BTech, the Urbanmech was actually very effective in mobs during Urban engagements. The Panther is another similar design. Slow for it's weight class, but heavily armed and armoured.

Edited by Thunder Child, 17 November 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#12 DarkDevilDancer

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

I'd say the hussar myself, it's fast and has decent firepower but can not take a hit its legs disintegrate if anything lands a hit.

#13 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

therefore it has a use. the original banshee has none.

#14 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 16 November 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

Urbanmech.

Posted Image

The UrbanMech is designed for just what its name suggests, urban combat and defense. This is achieved by making the UrbanMech the slowest light BattleMech in existence with a top speed of only 32.4 km/h and a jumping distance of only sixty meters. On an open battlefield, speeds that slow would be a death warrant for any light 'Mech, but in the streets and alleys of an urban labyrinth, even with its slow speed, the UrbanMech is free to fight and fade back into the city as it sees fit.

Cost 1,471,925 C-bills
UM-R60L Generally associated with the Capellan Confederation, who have modified a few of their UrbanMechs in this fashion, the -R60L is an upgrade to make the UrbanMech twice as deadly as the -R60 version. The -R60L sacrifices two tons of armor, allowing it to replace the Imperator-B Autocannon/10 with an Imperator-Zeta Autocannon/20 that is capable of downing most light 'Mechs and severely damaging most medium 'Mechs in a single salvo. Besides the thinner armor this modification comes with a very limited ammunition supply, and is unpopular.

Edited by Skylarr, 17 November 2013 - 08:03 PM.

#15 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

The Charger is the biggest pieceofcrap mech that I have ever seen. Though its armor is respectable, the problem is the speed of 86.4 km/h and the 5x Small Lasers. Assault mechs are supposed to be walking Juggernauts of destruction not scouts! It's sad when the mightiest army regard this mech as "a light mech trapped in an Assault frame". If I ever had the choice to pilot this or a Banshee, I'd take a Banshee. At least that mech has more firepower compared to this.

Posted Image

Edited by Will9761, 18 November 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#16 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

but this thing has the highest damage single attack in the game. no other mech mounted weapon i have heard of can beat its 64 damage charge attack. though some vehicles can.

#17 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 17 November 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

Any charger with an STD400.

lol this was going to be my submission

#18 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:07 AM

View PostSaxie, on 17 November 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

[/size]

lol this was going to be my submission

You know there is a thing in TT - its the reason why the CHARGEr is called CHARGEr.

I have a self mod were i even removed those 5 SLAS for 2.5ton more armor.
80 points of damage in 3025 is deadly.

#19 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:07 AM

View PostWill9761, on 17 November 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

The Charger is the biggest pieceofcrap mech that I have ever seen. Though its armor is respectable, the problem is the speed of 86.4 km/h and the 5x Small Lasers. Assault mechs are supposed to be walking Juggernauts of destruction not scouts! It's sad when the mightiest army regard this mech as "a light mech trapped in an Assault frame". If I ever had the choice to pilot this or a Banshee, I'd take a Banshee. At least that mech has more firepower compared to this.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/8/8f/3025_Charger1.jpg

I knew the Charger would come up. I used to think it was hilarious wayyyy back when I first got into BattleTech.

Then I played some games with it. It's actually scary, if you use it for it's namesake: Charging. It's a low BV 'mech that can kick and smash like no other, and fire all 5 lasers every single turn while doing so thanks to the way they are setup. They're certainly nowhere near as good as other assaults, but for their BV they have caved in more than a few heads.

Plus, the Charger's alternate variants are some of the very best assaults available in 3025. There's some really amazing ones if you're playing a T1 game.

I'd take a Charger over a Dragon any day, at least.

EDIT: Also I'm sick of people saying what [ weight class here ] are "supposed to be" while citing numerous examples of them not being that.

Edited by Victor Morson, 18 November 2013 - 03:09 AM.

#20 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:21 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 18 November 2013 - 03:07 AM, said:

EDIT: Also I'm sick of people saying what [ weight class here ] are "supposed to be" while citing numerous examples of them not being that.

Especially if it comes from a Lyran ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users