Balance BattleMechs Gameplay

716 replies to this topic

#21 Mawai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:47 AM

How about PGI fixes the critical hit system? Mostly by reducing the probability of crits a bit and properly assigning crits to engine/gyro/life support.

In TT, 3 engine critical hits and you are done ... whether these are side torso or CT. The reason clans did not die to side torso loss is because they only have 2 critical slots in the side torsos compared to 3 for IS. However, if loss of a side torso meant that only one more engine critical was needed for a kill them then clan mech XL engines would have an advantage but not as great as currently since only one more crit to any engine section would kill the mech.

The main complaint I can see about this is that critical hits are random and folks do not seem to like random events in FPS games ... especially ones that can kill your mech. On the other hand, that is the nature of critical hits in the first place ... strikes that are more effective than expected not due to aiming but due to luck.

#22 Zeusus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:47 AM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 17 March 2015 - 06:23 AM, said:

There's no mention of the Clan Mechs going dead when BOTH toros sides get destroyed, AS THEY SHOULD, so stop whining about the slow down or I'm sure we can get a petition going to enforce the 3 Engine slots destroyed = dead Mech rule for the Clans as well.

And this is why we can't have nice things. People call for nerfs without understanding how the game works.

#23 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:48 AM

I'm an IS pilot and I don't want to see a huge speed hit on clans after losing a ST. The mechs it affects the most are already the ones in bad shape, and ironically the best 2 (Timber Wolf and Storm Crow) are the ones least affected as they have the best torso hitboxes. We don't need an across-the-board nerf on clans because they aren't all super great.

#24 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:48 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 March 2015 - 05:51 AM, said:

The LFE was only in the prototype stage in 3058, only went on production on 3062, and IS mechs began to use it around 3065. And PGI is only willing to move the timeline to 3052 any time soon. So no, I do not wish to wait for 2 or more years at least, until LFE is introduced to IS tech, while Clanners get merry with their twice as durable XL engine.

Either PGI breaks canon (causing floodgates of requests for other futuristic item requests), introduces the LFE and obsoletes the regular the Std and XL engines before it, or they respect the timeline and make us wait for unbearable amount of time.

As rumors of this technology began to leak out in 3053, Archon-Prince Victor Steiner-Davion of the Federated Commonwealth entered into protracted and ultimately fruitless negotiations with Blackwell, becoming apparent either the rumors were false or Blackwell would not sell the technology to anybody outside of the Dragoons.

Second paragraph on page:

http://www.sarna.net..._Engine_-_Light

Under History.

I actually talked with Russ about this, just before phase 2 of CW, back when they were thinking of doing seasons, I won't go into everything that was said, but long story short it ended with him saying "After a season or two, depending on the outcomes we may just put it in. So thanks for thinking a head on this potential problem area."

#25 Artama543

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:58 AM

I agree that a change is in order for the game in some way.
This being said i believe that LFE would be a good implementation to allow IS to have a lighter engine with slightly more resilience than a XL, however i do believe that is should still be less resilient than a standard engine.
perhaps make the LFE have similar crit slot locations to clan XL engines so that loss of a side torso has less of a chance to auto kill the mech.
If you implement it differently then std engines are obsolete, even though they are in battletech history..., and are something you have to grind out of to make a good mech.

#26 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:02 AM

View PostArtama543, on 17 March 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

I agree that a change is in order for the game in some way.
This being said i believe that LFE would be a good implementation to allow IS to have a lighter engine with slightly more resilience than a XL, however i do believe that is should still be less resilient than a standard engine.
perhaps make the LFE have similar crit slot locations to clan XL engines so that loss of a side torso has less of a chance to auto kill the mech.
If you implement it differently then std engines are obsolete, even though they are in battletech history..., and are something you have to grind out of to make a good mech.

Artama,

The LFE, takes 10 crit spaces in TT, two in each ST and 6 in the CT, just like the clan XL, unlike the XL family of engines, the LFE only weighs in at 75% of the standard engine.

The only problem with them, is once they became available it more or less replaced the standard engine.

#27 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:15 AM

All I can say is we better get our solid slug LBX rounds before this is implemented. SERIOUSLY, its been a year.

#28 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:16 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 17 March 2015 - 07:15 AM, said:

All I can say is we better get our solid slug LBX rounds before this is implemented. SERIOUSLY, its been a year.

You will use your Clan AC's, that should not exist (and not be found anywhere else in Battletech/Mechwarrior), and you will like it Ghost Bear! :P ;)

Edited by Metus regem, 17 March 2015 - 07:17 AM.

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:18 AM

View PostGyrok, on 17 March 2015 - 05:39 AM, said:

Nope.

#30 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:19 AM

View Postzagibu, on 17 March 2015 - 05:45 AM, said:

But how are we going to whine about OP clans if you balance them properly?

that is not the way how to balance them properly.

#31 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

How about, no.

As it stands, Clan XL engines are already operating when they shouldn't. Each torso side contains 2 Engine slots, and Engine destruction comes at the loss of 3 Engine slots, regardless of where they are located.

For the IS, this means any XL engine goes boom the moment a side torso is destroyed. For the Clans, this means they keep going even after BOTH torso sides and 4 Engine slots are destroyed. Clans ALREADY get more advantages from their XL engines then they should, and you want to complain about making them go SLOWER if they get a side torso destroyed?

There's no mention of the Clan Mechs going dead when BOTH toros sides get destroyed, AS THEY SHOULD, so stop whining about the slow down or I'm sure we can get a petition going to enforce the 3 Engine slots destroyed = dead Mech rule for the Clans as well.

Not sure what game you're playing but clan mech die when they lose both side torsos.

#32 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

How about, no.

As it stands, Clan XL engines are already operating when they shouldn't. Each torso side contains 2 Engine slots, and Engine destruction comes at the loss of 3 Engine slots, regardless of where they are located.

For the IS, this means any XL engine goes boom the moment a side torso is destroyed. For the Clans, this means they keep going even after BOTH torso sides and 4 Engine slots are destroyed. Clans ALREADY get more advantages from their XL engines then they should, and you want to complain about making them go SLOWER if they get a side torso destroyed?

Clan Mechs die the moment both STs are destroyed. True story.

#33 BARBAR0SSA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

I'd rather they unlock the, proper engine swap if this comes in(the ST speed loss) and even if it breaks lore, allow STD engines.

Lets face it, the current Timberwolf meta fills up the ENTIRE mech, DHS 4ML +2 LL/LPL there is ZERO room left so an engine swap would do nothing to make it this OP monster boating weapons. 2 dual gauss a concern? It can only be done on the entire right side of the mech, weakness there and you can run it currently with 50 rounds.

So what does a faster timber do? less firepower or runs much much hotter or slows it down and...well no benefit for the laser vomit, less internal DHS etc.

Edited by shad0w4life, 17 March 2015 - 07:39 AM.

#34 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:28 AM

With the advantages that Clan mechs already have over their IS counterparts, why is this nerf being seen as something so terrible. I mean, lose a ST, you get some drawbacks to missing half your mech. Sounds sensible to me, and hey, compared to an IS XL, at least you are still alive to carry on the fight. I know that if I lose a cylinder in my 4-cyl car, it'll run pretty crappily, if at all....

I think people need some common sense and perspective here.

#35 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:39 AM

No I dont want light fusion engines.

No I dont want silly arbitrary penalties for the clans XL.

I want the penalties in the TT that go with losing 2 engine criticals.

#36 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:43 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 17 March 2015 - 07:39 AM, said:

No I dont want light fusion engines.

No I dont want silly arbitrary penalties for the clans XL.

I want the penalties in the TT that go with losing 2 engine criticals.

Can someone go get that list and link/post it for reference please? Also post with it Russ' ideas for comparison.

#37 Stoned Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:43 AM

Clan whineygirl tears are DELICIOUS! MORE TEARS! MORE! ARCTIC CHEETAH NERF! CRY!

#38 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:45 AM

No.

Clan tech is creating an imbalance in the game. XL engines that are just free tonnage with no down side, while both ER and pulse lasers far out range IS weapons.

Give the already slight loss of heat efficiency for losing a side torso a small increase. Then implement the speed reduction for losing those two engine crits.

As for the lasers cut their range down. Make clan pulse lasers the same range as normal IS, and clan ER lasers have the same increase, proportional by class, as the IS ER large.

#39 AntiCitizenJuan

• 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:46 AM

PGI, just remove Speed Tweak from the TimberWolf and Stormcrow.

Thats all you have to do. It's that easy.

#40 Lucian Nostra

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:50 AM

How about, no.

mm won't point it out as you've been corrected I think 3 times so far but... yeah how about you actually play the game instead of crying about something that doesn't actually happen?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users