Really Organizing our House

103 replies to this topic

#21 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

View PostIto Ogami, on 01 July 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Howdy,

No, I do not smoke anything, I find smoking anything leads to ruined lungs and who really wants that. Hell, I onyl drink a few drinks a week and that is with friends.

So do you smoke anything or drink anything?

Please do tell would love to hear from you again.

Don't believe you.

I'll be looking out for a smoky cockpit on the battlefield. I quote you...

View PostIto Ogami, on 01 July 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

We need to organize first into lances, then companys, battalions, regiments and lastly into Districts. We need to start thinking of the future and stop thinking of personal ambitions.

That is just potty, pardon the pun.

#22 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

View PostGHQCommander, on 01 July 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

Don't believe you.

I'll be looking out for a smoky cockpit on the battlefield. I quote you...

That is just potty, pardon the pun.

Howdy,

Correction, you are funny. Got a chuckle off that one.

#23 Kell

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

I agree, we should start to get organized.

As for myself, I am comfortable with any command/role (except High Command, although I was Minister of Defense at some point in ISWars.)

I can play any mech role well, any weight class well, and was a key member of the A-lance in Marik's ISWars contingent. I am able to lead a lance/company, or listen to orders from others as need be. I am also available over 40+ hours a week, and can re-schedule my work shifts to adjust to any time needed.

#24 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

I agree with the OP to a certain extent. Although having a lot of members in the house can be a boon, it can also be quite the bane too. Again, Justicar does bring up a valid point though that we really don't know enough information as to how the ranking system will work. I believe, over time, some players from other houses may look to Marik as being a smaller organized house and join us from one of the larger populated houses, either because they find it too big and have to wait for matches, or some sort of falling out due to too many kids crying for their candy. Who knows?

It's just a little too early to tell, and maybe the waiting game may turn into our favour as well. It could happen that all their advanced planning is for nought once we all realize how the ranking system works.

#25 Darksider

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostKenyon, on 01 July 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

The times that people play is a pretty big factor also. Being organized is great but matters little if Your Company plays at different times.

Kenyon

I couldnt agree more. I would be willing to assist with some west coast time zone lance building/management.

#26 Daniel Hendrix

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

I suppose I'll pop in here and post my two cents after signing up.

I'd love to see an organized Marik faction, I've been around since the first Mechwarrior.

I normally play Assualt classes, heavy hitter and close combat.

#27 Vincent J Magnum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 131 posts
  • LocationRegulus

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

View PostNehrul, on 01 July 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

I have to agree with Ito,

When we talk about getting organized, picking a House Leader, or even House Leadership is not the point. On many occasions it is the RCO that are actually running the day-to-day operations, and that has always been the Strength in House Marik's command structure, that our Field Commanders have worked closely together to make quick decisions because they all knew each other and had open lines of communication.

If we we can get the people who are interested in leading talking with each other, and organizing how they are going to work together, then we have already given our House a head-start once the game goes live.

>S<

Im willing and able to resume my duties as the CO of the Regulus FORSCOM and open a line of communication to ANYONE willing to speak to myself about any topic. The sooner we get things together the better. Just my $.02

#28 Dimestore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVancouver (Pacific Standard Time Zone)

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

I think Kenyon & Justicar summarize my interpretation pretty effectively.

West Coast North America
Preferred role: scout
Secondary role: sniper
Availability: moderate (5-20hrs/week)
Personality: casual, creative, helpful, & willing (but not eager) to take one for the team.

I might start a thread to see if we can get a role call going to seed some lances...

#29 Astaroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

Justicar is right in that organizing a house faction is going to be a pretty steep challenge. Given the information we have about the game thus far, it sounds like there will be nothing in the game that supports faction organization. Merc corps will have it a little easier.

I suspect you are pretty much going to be stuck using offline methods of organization to create guilds based on non-canon house units. I would stress that the units be non-canon because PGI plans to implement well-known canon units for people to join as a reward for accumulating lots of play time and LP.

Also, because of the inherent rewards involved in joining a house faction, this is where you will probably find the great majority of casual players and trolls. Faction players get daily C-Bill rewards, have better access to some mechs and equipment, and will probably have a pretty easy time finding matches. Those factors will draw in the masses. The whole rank system that is going to be used for faction players is going to make it even harder.

So while I agree that organizing is a good idea, I think you're going to have to learn how to work as a loose association of independent guilds... sort of like the FWL, come to think of it.

#30 Kell

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

Well, in terms of this game, from what I gather, organizing will be more along the lines of finding 15-20 players you play well with and that share similar play times with in the interests of being able to rotate people in and out of a full pre-made company of 12 players.

Whatever you wish to call your unit is up to you, but if you want to fully organize the house, you will need cooperation from everyone playing for FWL, which will be quite hard as new players start playing.

Edited by Kell, 05 July 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#31 Dimestore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVancouver (Pacific Standard Time Zone)

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

Perhaps a Marik forum sticky post where everyone mentions their availability. Those with sync'd up regular availability could form unofficial lances &/or companies, splitting mostly along time zones. The rest would presumably be at the mercy of any in-game player grouping mechanism.
Some form of inter-player reputation system would also be nice but might be a major pain to work out.

#32 Moose13

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

I see our common goals as: We want to see FWL succeed. We want our companies to succeed, We want our lances to succeed. We want our Mercs to succeed. We want to succeed!

How will we be successful? Just by staying together, concentrating fire, tipping the numbers to our favor and defeating our enemies. We need organization on the field of battle. That will make or break FWL.

Time will tell who our good target callers or force commanders for a lack of a better term are. I see mech designs playing a major role. How do if we shared our killer builds with each other without leaking? We will need tacticians that comes up with battle plans Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie but this should be collaborative in nature. Who knows who will come up with a good idea.. We will need to know the basics --Mechwarrior 101. scouting, baiting, flanking, counter-flanking, traffic management (so we are not bumping into each other) etc... Some are more experienced than others. This does not mean experience is a better Mechwarrior, it may just means they are maybe a better team player. How do we share this knowledge?

Is this what we are talking about when we talk about organizing? There are a couple of websites already started and a couple of threads here. People are getting the word out. There is only so much we can do with information we have at this time.

This was a rant, just ignore me. Had to get it out of my system. I am much better now.

Edited by Moose13, 05 July 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#33 DPain

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 31 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRaleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

Hey Y'all,

I have been checking out this game since I heard about it last year. I am a big Mech Warrior fan, and have played all the games, from the pen and paper through all the PC versions. I have been trying to get MW4 to work on my Alienware machine (with joystick support) for weeks now to dust off my skills to no avail. I have plenty of other gaming experience so I am not not worried about it.

For the record I am an old guy with work and family so my playing time has been decreased for the last 10 years or so, but now with the kids in High School I am looking forward to much more time with a game I loved back in the day. I picked FWL because I spent spent several years in the US Army and the FWL has a lore/outlook on how it treats it citizens that aligns with my own personal views. I would really like to get in with a group of experienced older folks who I can work together with and have fun smashing folks in the face. I can't wait to get into a Raven and get this thing started.

In line with this thread, I have extensive real world experience in small unit tactics and electronic warfare. I am hoping that this along with my other gaming experience will be an asset for what ever lance/unit I end up in and FWL in general. Once we can get into the game and start checking out the mechanics of LPs and Faction warfare I am sure things will shake out. Praying for a beta key, but if not, see you all on August 7th :D

#34 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostKell, on 05 July 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

Well, in terms of this game, from what I gather, organizing will be more along the lines of finding 15-20 players you play well with and that share similar play times with in the interests of being able to rotate people in and out of a full pre-made company of 12 players.

Whatever you wish to call your unit is up to you, but if you want to fully organize the house, you will need cooperation from everyone playing for FWL, which will be quite hard as new players start playing.

Howdy,

Well said Kell, we need folks who can play together in and around the same time periods. Be it 1 or 20 hours a day, week or yes even month.

I am willing and able to run 3 maybe 4 hours a day, but I am in Japan so even though I can run a whole lot I will not bump into many East Coasters unless I wake up real early or stay up real late. We need people to gather up together who can run around the same time periods. In other words we need a good rotation of players.

In EGA we would get up at 4 am Eastern and start attacking because we knew that most Davion players were in bed by 1 am PST. But this game will be a whole lot different. There will be no one turning off the lights, this will be a 24/7 game barring maintenance shutdowns.

So we need to think the same way, the game does not stop just because we go to bed. So we need people running together who are up and down at the same time.

Mobs do not win wars units do.

Just my three cents.

#35 AuGuR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Adding my own 2 cents, for all it's worth.

I've said it before in other threads, in game ranking has little to do with House direction and/or leadership. It's great you may be able to shoot down a mech with impunity, but leading a unit is something entirely different; Even more-so, leading a House.

In the past, MPBT:Solaris/3025 and ISWars arranged the lances based on availability, and even to balance out the strengths and weaknesses. This was done at either the company or regimental level, based on the 'commanders' discretion. While we were arranged into units based on those that recruited us, the House moved as a whole, individuality was not our strong point. Orders passed from HL trickled down the CoC, we relayed and followed as they came. Moving assets (pilots) where they were needed was part of how we rolled. Even then, we weren't hog-tied to the CoC, we were able to make decisions that often caused the House to rally, such as attacking a sector in MPBT or a planet in ISWars.

Now we have the oppurtunity to get it going before the game starts, gather our (new) friends together into groups they're comfortable with and have several full lances, companies and regiments available at the get-go.

Overall, our House needs to be united between the generations of players, MPBT through MW:LL, and provide a strong front to any opposition that comes our way.

#36 Vincent J Magnum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 131 posts
  • LocationRegulus

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostAuGuR, on 06 July 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

Adding my own 2 cents, for all it's worth.

I've said it before in other threads, in game ranking has little to do with House direction and/or leadership. It's great you may be able to shoot down a mech with impunity, but leading a unit is something entirely different; Even more-so, leading a House.

In the past, MPBT:Solaris/3025 and ISWars arranged the lances based on availability, and even to balance out the strengths and weaknesses. This was done at either the company or regimental level, based on the 'commanders' discretion. While we were arranged into units based on those that recruited us, the House moved as a whole, individuality was not our strong point. Orders passed from HL trickled down the CoC, we relayed and followed as they came. Moving assets (pilots) where they were needed was part of how we rolled. Even then, we weren't hog-tied to the CoC, we were able to make decisions that often caused the House to rally, such as attacking a sector in MPBT or a planet in ISWars.

Now we have the oppurtunity to get it going before the game starts, gather our (new) friends together into groups they're comfortable with and have several full lances, companies and regiments available at the get-go.

Overall, our House needs to be united between the generations of players, MPBT through MW:LL, and provide a strong front to any opposition that comes our way.

Here Here

#37 Darksider

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

I agree with previous posters about getting a thread up about our respective game time/style/availability up and running.

#38 Aeneas

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 19 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

We are talking lots about organization, but little about tactics. They cannot be separated. The legions were organized to suit their tactics, thats how they conquered. WE, being the people that organize, need to organize based upon tactics. It would be folly to form three lances that are well balanced, then send them into a situation where some of the lancemates are inefectual.

I am a long time MW player. My father was a mechwarrior before me, and I have read All the books, know the lore, and played the games. Usually I play as a Drac. but only under theodore, but I have seen enough to know that House Marik is ALWAYS outnumbered. Marik needs to understand the roles needed. we need good defenders, if we cannot hold territory, we cannot advance. The way we get ahead, is by becoming impenitrable. Let the other Houses fight and swap worlds, we hold onto our own. Then we strike, when their backs are turned. Blitzkrieg. and in order to do that we need organized, effectively utilized, efficient mechwarriors who enjoy battle as a team.

We rise or fall together.
I pilot an Orion as a mid/close range slasher. I specialize in ambush, raid, flanking manuevers, but I can hold a line if need be. I am willing to serve however needed, in whatever lance needed. I support Ito 100%, I just felt the above should be said. See you on the battlefield.

#39 Xytaglyph

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

*attempting to ignore thread invaders*

I would love to see our house get organized in the early stages like this with some of the more active community members starting out near the top. If we are to be successful as a 'nation' we need to have our ducks in a row.
BUT as others have said I think its going to be quite difficult to organize at this stage due to the lack of information on the system of ranking that MWO has in store.
BUT I don't think I am the only one who feels like the leader of the Free Worlds league shouldn't be the no life that simply plays 500 matches a day and thus has tons of XP. I feel like our leaders should be the people that have the best ability to lead our troops and "control" our community through being active community members but not necessarily participating in the most battles.

Edited by Xytaglyph, 07 July 2012 - 08:23 PM.

#40 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

BUT I don't think I am the only one who feels like the leader of the Free Worlds league shouldn't be the no life that simply plays 500 matches a day and thus has tons of XP.

Howdy

No one is talking about a House Leader, it does not appear that this game will be player controlled. I for one am glad that we will not have one. Big fat egos destroy every game.

Organizing does not mean a House Leader, as I said before, folks that want to be House Leader have too much ego for the good of the game and the House.

What we are saying is that we need members to organize. By "organize" we mean getting to know each other and knowing what times we are available.

Take me, I live in Tokyo Japan and I am available from 2 hours a day to 5 a day depending on the days. Sometime I can run with the folks in the States and sometimes I can not. I like to run lights and meds, I am a speed freak and love a challenge.

We need to talk to each other and get to know each other. If you do not know the other folks in the house we can never be friends and allies.

The key to a Great House is when folks are friends and allies with a common goal, we need that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users