Really Organizing our House

103 replies to this topic

#41 Xytaglyph

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

View PostIto Ogami, on 01 July 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

...We need to organize first into lances, then companys, battalions, regiments and lastly into Districts. We need to start thinking of the future and stop thinking of personal ambitions.

No one knows what this game will become, but one thing is certain, we "House Marik" will be at war with other House's (and yes the clans).

I have a vision, in the near furture invaders will be coming from the outer rims with the intent of destroying what we have.

So we need core leadership, we need Commanders that are willing to take the helm and be recognized for their actions...

I was under the impression that we were planning on rank based positions and leadership roles as well as lance organizing and companies and battalions and so forth.

#42 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

View PostXytaglyph, on 08 July 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

I was under the impression that we were planning on rank based positions and leadership roles as well as lance organizing and companies and battalions and so forth.

Howdy,

Only reason I started this was that in our House there was hardly anyone talk aside from a few of us. We had players coming in say hi and never beinging heard from again. Other house's are talking and getting to know each other while we at Marik pop in and say hi.

We are not forming units yet, hell we do not know what direction the game will go. Right now we are getting to know each other.

After the game goes live and we know what the direction the game is headed then we can form up into actual units. As for now lets's get talking about who we are and where we are.

There have been too many leagues and every league has their own systems and leaders. We do not want what happened over at Davion to happen here. Their ego's exploded into a near riot.

Egos kill the fun and when the game is not fun, people leave.

#43 Aeneas

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 19 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Right now what we're doing is just talk, lets do something. Before we can make larger organizational units we need to form lances of those on board. Ito, Xytaglyph, you seem to have a clearer idea of what is going on, lead by example. Get the names of all those who want to organize, form lances, and go from there.

But lances first, the rest later. Get the lances and the rest will come.

#44 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostAeneas, on 08 July 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

Right now what we're doing is just talk, lets do something. Before we can make larger organizational units we need to form lances of those on board. Ito, Xytaglyph, you seem to have a clearer idea of what is going on, lead by example. Get the names of all those who want to organize, form lances, and go from there.

Howdy,

To form lances right now is a mute point, because we do not even know what the game will look like.

I for one would prefer to see us to get to know each other talk and give an idea of what times we can play.

To have an active list would not be a bad thing. I think the getting to know each other topic a good place to start.

Edited by Ito Ogami, 08 July 2012 - 04:51 PM.

#45 Aeneas

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

sounds good, and i see your point and i see your point with the lances. but make sure on the list there should be mechs and role descriptions as well as name and contact info. it sounds like yall have a handle on things so i'll look for the roll call thread.

#46 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

View PostAeneas, on 08 July 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

sounds good, and i see your point and i see your point with the lances. but make sure on the list there should be mechs and role descriptions as well as name and contact info. it sounds like yall have a handle on things so i'll look for the roll call thread.

We need to keep our roll call and our getting to know each other separate.

#47 VinnySlick

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 92 posts
  • LocationAtreus

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

Haha typical Marik style, always has been, always will be...

let the pre-launch ******* contest begin!

#48 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostVinnySlick, on 09 July 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

You think this is the ******* contest? You should go back and look at what was being done and said back on Nov Dec last year <VBG> And lord, have you traveled over to the Davion boards? Wow, its knock down drag out over there. Only other House Forums on the board this peaceful is the FRR :huh:

#49 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostVinnySlick, on 09 July 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

Howdy,

You consider this a ******* contest? Not even close to one, this is us trying to talk. AdamBaines said it perfectly, go back to Nov/Dec on our boards or to any other house. Check out Davions EGO laced wars for leadership. Those were EGO laced ******* contests and those people have not been around since the fur fell.

We are trying to get our House talking and not talking about a House Leader or a CoC. We need to get to know each other and what better way than to talk. By talking we find out when others will be on, what they like to do and not what position we think we can handle.

Talking is what we need to do and talking is what I will do until others join in. EGOs kill games and cause ******* wars to erupt.

A House that has a pulse is a House that gets new members and there will be many new members coming this way.

So keep talking and chime in your thoughts, that's all we want. :)

#50 Xytaglyph

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

alright cool, well I am Xytaglyph
I live on the West coast specifically Washington and until mid September I will be almost universally available as I have nothing to do until school starts up.

Alot of you FWL guys on these here forums should check out housemarik.enjin.com because it is a community site made by Mariks for Mariks.

Also there are a few servers on services like mumble, pidgin, and teamspeak for use by FWL supporters with information provided Here (for pidgin and mumble) and Here (for teamspeak).
These resources should better enable us to make immediate contact with each other rather than using the forums like an Instant Messenger.

#51 Powerferret

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

Well, assuming that the mercenary work is handled like true mercenary contracts, I'll be lending my services to the highest bidder :)

#52 Rot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSt Louis Mo.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

I am thinking the strength of Marik has always been the RCO's and their ability to bring their units together. We all had the pride in our units and loved working together to beat up some Steiner.

The Dev's have made it pretty clear that they aren't looking for anything more then RCO level.

I hope they make the ability to add tags to our name like in Solaris. Everyone remember the ceremony's when you or someone was given the leave to change their handle to go up in a rank? The pride and effort it took to get 'promoted' drove us to be better. I hope that continues.

#53 therealswilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNot Tellin' ya foo's

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

I'd like to say that I'm one of those players with little experience in Mechwarrior games.

However, I know that the more involved/invested you are with something the more fun and rewarding it is and seems that the separation of houses and the pride behind is a great way to get invested. I know what MW is and what Battletech is, my knowledge of the universe is light but I'm trying to learn in my free time so I'm not a complete outsider/*****.

I'd be glad to join a lance/company if PG allows it.

#54 SHVAK

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

Lots of good discussion in this thread. I too agree that we can't spearhead our coordination efforts too far forward at the moment since we don't yet have all the gameplay aspects. However, as we build up towards this:

1. It would be nice to have a forum moderator to streamline some posts which are tending to repeat and/or confuse. For example, we have threads trying to recruit legions/lances while other threads are requesting the recruiters to post through them. There are also several "welcoming - post your info here" threads. House Marik is a bit disjointed in that respect, but we're likely not alone.

2. Concur with comments regarding time zones. Having lance/company/legion players all within or near the same time zone would dramatically make each group more successful - basing this on my experience with many previous online groups. For example, creating House Marik recommendations for Oriente being tailored for SE Asian players, Marik Militia for European based players, Regulan for east coast North America, Atrean for west coast North America (or similar) could prove worthwhile. Or even better and less restrictive would be something like 3rd Oriente (the entire regiment or perhaps only a company within the regiment) being tailored to those who play at the same time. Obviously, players and recruiters have personal tastes and we could never achieve 100% sastification.

But I feel that the key to successful online group gaming, success, and longevity, is with members of your group, for the most part, all playing during the same hours.

Edited by SHVAK, 11 July 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#55 therealswilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNot Tellin' ya foo's

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

I've already started a thread to hold a database of all the lances and companies inside House Marick, if you see someone posting a thread about a company or lance group looking to recruit. Encourage them to send a PM to me so I can add them.

#56 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostSHVAK, on 11 July 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

Lots of good discussion in this thread. I too agree that we can't spearhead our coordination efforts too far forward at the moment since we don't yet have all the gameplay aspects. However, as we build up towards this:

1. It would be nice to have a forum moderator to streamline some posts which are tending to repeat and/or confuse. For example, we have threads trying to recruit legions/lances while other threads are requesting the recruiters to post through them. There are also several "welcoming - post your info here" threads. House Marik is a bit disjointed in that respect, but we're likely not alone.

2. Concur with comments regarding time zones. Having lance/company/legion players all within or near the same time zone would dramatically make each group more successful - basing this on my experience with many previous online groups. For example, creating House Marik recommendations for Oriente being tailored for SE Asian players, Marik Militia for European based players, Regulan for east coast North America, Atrean for west coast North America (or similar) could prove worthwhile. Or even better and less restrictive would be something like 3rd Oriente (the entire regiment or perhaps only a company within the regiment) being tailored to those who play at the same time. Obviously, players and recruiters have personal tastes and we could never achieve 100% sastification.

But I feel that the key to successful online group gaming, success, and longevity, is with members of your group, for the most part, all playing during the same hours.

Your first point struck a cord with me and tonight when I'm done with school work I'm going to do a little re-organizing of the Enjin site's forum to allow Lance leaders a place to post information about their lance, and have moderation powers over their thread so that they can have their own little application process on the forum. I'll also be making usergroups for active lances so that if a lance or company doesn't have their own website, they can apply for their own private board on our forums for communication. I really don't think all of this is necessary but its quite clear at this point that the majority of the house would like to at least try, and so I will do what I can to provide the tools on which to build.

View PostAeneas, on 08 July 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

Agreed on all points, if we are going to do this let's get it done and do it right.

We're still accepting administrative applications on the Enjin site so if you think you could contribute to House Marik's organization, shoot us an app. Also, we still invite former command elements to register and be a part of this. We don't want to take over, we want to provide the tools necessary for organization if indeed the game allows for it.

Edited by The Justicar, 11 July 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#57 SHVAK

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Sorry that I'm "old school", but:
  • What is an "enjin site"?
  • Justicar, are you a forum moderator for this House? Good work on taking action regardless.

#58 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostSHVAK, on 11 July 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

Sorry that I'm "old school", but:
  • What is an "enjin site"?
  • Justicar, are you a forum moderator for this House? Good work on taking action regardless.

Enjin is a company that provides a free CMS framework for guilds, clans, teams, etc. to make a website without having to go through the trouble of making and paying for a "real" one.

housemarik.enjin.com (or click my sig or any of the other sigs that look like mine)
We have one set up for house marik and I am one of the admins of that site, I have no authority whatsoever on the MW:O forums.

Edited by The Justicar, 11 July 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#59 Xmador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

I think rather than general leadership hierarchy we should make regional "groups" that have a higher liklihood of being online at the same time. No point of me signing up to follow a leader who is on the opposite coast from me and never actually be on at the same time.

I'm in southern CA, PST zone. FWL members in the same area feel free to hit me up just to introduce ourselves and try and get a feel of what we may be able to do in game.

#60 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

At this point, I don't think we should be looking at this hierarchically at all, pending further information on how houses will shape up, however, should it come to that, both Justicar and Ito should be remembered for doing the most thus far in trying to get us shaped up and organized, imo.

For now, let those of us with units work out our command structures, but beyond that, just taking stock of ourselves, our military assets and potentially other resources (like the Enjin site), and getting to know each other, is what we should be doing here. The roll call and unit threads are great ideas to do just that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users