46 replies to this topic

#1 MC Hammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 185 posts
  • LocationTN/GA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

I cant wait to see the tears if the clans end up being NPC.

I will collect them and put the tears on my mashed potatoes, yummy.

#2 RoyalWave

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

NPCs involve coding AI for them. It would be an enormous waste of resources most likely to do so, as any AI is easily exploited and beat by decent players.

I dont think you will see any AI controlled mechs for MWO for at least 2 years when they have so much other stuff to work on. I don't think they need bots to teach the game like in moba genre because MWO is much more intuitive (shoot things).

Basically, they have said no plans for AI, meaning it's pointless to even speculate about AI or NPC or PvE because it aint happening. It' not something hidden, or something they can quickly add either, it's just not happening.

If you want to code AI for them to use, I dont think they would mind, but I don't think they are gonna pay anyone or put much resources into AI for this game.

Edited by RoyalWave, 01 July 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#3 Aarioch

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

Yeah I actually agree with OP on this, it seems like this would be the perfect way to insert a PVE component and allow players to be somewhat involved in cannon based battles.... well in my opinion anyway...

Edited by Aarioch, 01 July 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#4 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

Yes **** off half the user base by them not being able to play their favourite factions they have had since mid 90s, good business model. RoyalWave has it said best.

'p i s s' is filtered? Really?

#5 Synra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

I have actually given a lot of thought to this myself, and I came to the same conclusion. They cannot let players play as clanners. Clanners are superior in every way. Not mearly technology wise, but their genetics and training specifically to be super elite mech pilots. Properly implementing clans into this game means that they will be exceptionally more powerful than any IS players.

Also, let's be truthful here, the clans didn't show up and run some friendly matches with the IS mechwarriors. They came in and wrecked everyone in their path. It wasn't a matter of win-some lose-some, as is the case with IS vs IS. PGI cannot implement clans as balanced player faction with a 50/50 chance of winning a battle. The clans simply cannot be implented as player factions because all the players would just jump on the clan bandwagon because it's so much more powerful.

PGI also said that they are planing on PvE content someday, so they are planning on AI for MWO.

The way I see it, the ONLY way clans can properly be added to MWO is as NPC factions, tuned to be extremely difficult to defeat. However, I would expect that on the slim chance you manage to win in a battle against clanner opponants, then the game might reward you with a random piece of 'captured' clan tech. Like a clan ER large laser or something. That's exactly how it happened in the lore. The only way IS got clan tech was salvaging it off the battlefield.

#6 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

I've said before that allowing players to use Clan Tech will render all non-Clan Tech worthless. So using the Clan for Co OP as the enemy would be a great idea. It should just be an NPC faction and featured in PvE content/Co Op. This would allow you to 1) Have a good faction for opposition in PvE/Co Op, 2) Keep Clan stuff out of the hands of players, and 3) Still have Clans in the game.<-- You'd accomplish all 3 goals in one sweep by just having Clans be an NPC faction.

#7 Grugore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

View PostSynra, on 01 July 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

I have actually given a lot of thought to this myself, and I came to the same conclusion. They cannot let players play as clanners. Clanners are superior in every way. Not mearly technology wise, but their genetics and training specifically to be super elite mech pilots. Properly implementing clans into this game means that they will be exceptionally more powerful than any IS players.

Also, let's be truthful here, the clans didn't show up and run some friendly matches with the IS mechwarriors. They came in and wrecked everyone in their path. It wasn't a matter of win-some lose-some, as is the case with IS vs IS. PGI cannot implement clans as balanced player faction with a 50/50 chance of winning a battle. The clans simply cannot be implented as player factions because all the players would just jump on the clan bandwagon because it's so much more powerful.

PGI also said that they are planing on PvE content someday, so they are planning on AI for MWO.

The way I see it, the ONLY way clans can properly be added to MWO is as NPC factions, tuned to be extremely difficult to defeat. However, I would expect that on the slim chance you manage to win in a battle against clanner opponants, then the game might reward you with a random piece of 'captured' clan tech. Like a clan ER large laser or something. That's exactly how it happened in the lore. The only way IS got clan tech was salvaging it off the battlefield.

I wonder if they will have access to or be able to scratch up some code for adaptive AI's? Or better yet. There's a game called shogun. It's AI is based on Sun Tsu's The Art of War. That would be super cool, I think. Or did I just shoot myself in the foot actuator?

#8 Zso Sahal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

Oh that would be masterful trolling... An entire forum filled with tears. Paul! Make it happen!

#9 Cirran

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationKentares IV

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

I have found my TT players learned really fast to adapt to the clans by only engaging them where the clans massive damage bonus was negated. Once they figured out how to fight the clans. My players had little to no problem kicking the clans butt. I eventually had to use the clans much like a standard IS unit. My players changed thier unit make up. They ran a standard 4 mech lances but all other units ran with aditional mechs. A company had and extra lance, a battalion had an extra company ect. Clans are big on fire power but not so much on armor. Sucker them in, hammer them with multiple units. In game there appears to be a LOT of cover to take in the videos I watched. Ranges are very short, this will be an advantage to the IS. Anyways just some random thoughts from my point of view. I think the devs will make sure if and when clan tech is available. It will be monitored and strictly controlled.

Cirran DeCours
One Happy Chien

#10 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

With the heat scale working the way it is... clan weapons only real advantage will be weight and range. Damage/ to heat ratios will more or less stay the same between IS tech and CLAN teach, meaning instant damage will always be capped by heat output.

#11 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

Make IS have more players in matches than clan and I think it can work out.

#12 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

View PostManDaisy, on 01 July 2012 - 08:41 AM, said:

With the heat scale working the way it is... clan weapons only real advantage will be weight and range. Damage/ to heat ratios will more or less stay the same between IS tech and CLAN teach, meaning instant damage will always be capped by heat output.

Actually this was only a tradeoff on Energy weapons. Clan stuff produced more heat in exchange for weighing less, having more range, and more damage. It isn't really a tradeoff though because the Clan stuff is so much better. It is still logical to just slot full Clan and forget Non Clan.

But with the other types there is NO disadvantage at all. Clan Ballistic+Missile weapons do the same thing and simply weigh less. This free extra weight can be used to carry more ammo.

Simply put, all Clan Tech > Non Clan Tech. There's no contest and this is why the weapons need to stay out of playerhands. The day you put in Clan weapons is the day all Non Clan weapons are rendered pointless to buy or use.

#13 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

Make the IS players get their butts handed to them until Tukayyid... that'd work.

#14 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

View Postjakucha, on 01 July 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

That would take a lot of effort... and how are you going to decide teams? If I'm a Steiner with an IS Mech but my buddy, also a Steiner, is in a Clan Mech, suddenly we're enemies??? We won't be able to fight together???

#15 Pedra Forlorn

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

i suggest they just put a huge room full of monkeys and let them play the clans
as monkeys are smarter then the average "gamer" these days
bananas are much cheaper then ai

Edited by Pedra Forlorn, 01 July 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#16 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

View PostPedra Forlorn, on 01 July 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

i suggest they just put a huge room full of monkeys and let them play the clans
as monkeys are smarter then the average "gamer" these days
bananas are much cheaper then ai

Sad but true, especially in Blizzard titles.

#17 MC Hammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 185 posts
  • LocationTN/GA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 01 July 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

Yes **** off half the user base by them not being able to play their favourite factions they have had since mid 90s, good business model. RoyalWave has it said best.

'p i s s' is filtered? Really?

At what point have you seen an option to show allegiance to the clans.... SHOW ME
If people get mad because they cant be the "Bad Guys" then too bad.Nobody ever quit Super Mario Brothers cause they couldn't be Bowser.
Nobody quit EVE because they couldn't be Jovian, or ConCord

Edited by MC Hammer, 01 July 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#18 SinnerX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

Considering the entire basis of this game is PvP, and the IS vs Clan is a major conflict in the Battletech universe, there's no way they would suddenly make it PvE content.

#19 XxZylonxX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

I want to pilot Clan Mechs.

If they introduce PVE, then a significant part of the player base would play PVE.
Which in turn would decrease the pool of players looking for a PVP match, therefor worse matchmaking.
( The bigger the pool of players beeing matched the more accurate.)

View PostMC Hammer, on 01 July 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

At what point have you seen an option to show allegence to the clans.... SHOW ME
If people get mad because they cant be the "Bad Guys" then too bad. Nobody ever quit Super Mario Brothers cause they couldn't be Bowser.

Who says Clan factions are "bad guys" it depends on what faction you support.
And in case of a mercenary player it depends on who pays his/her fee.

#20 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

View Postjakucha, on 01 July 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

because clans operate in stars it makes seperation difficult. the game is supposed to be balanced around 3 lances per match (12) . 1 star would always lose. 2 stars will always win.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users