Remember This?

43 replies to this topic

#1 Daiichidoku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:50 AM

How do you think this compares to what we ended up getting?

Too bad we dont have destructible environment, anyhow

#2 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:58 AM

That was a sales pitch to investors and publishers just as much as it was an announcement to the general public. MWO doesn't even run on the same game engine anymore.

And the Warhammer nearly killed the entire idea on the spot.

#3 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:41 AM

I like the how the mechs seem like big stompy robots. Move like basic Dires.

#4 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:58 AM

Eh, i like our design of The Atlas more.
Wish we'd get a Warhammer though, though i think i'd prefer getting the Hammerhands.

#5 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:00 AM

Looks great apart form the atlas, I think our current atlas looks way better than that thing..

#6 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:00 AM

View PostBobzilla, on 23 March 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

I like the how the mechs seem like big stompy robots. Move like basic Dires.

-sigh- The mechs in battletech are NOT lumbering beasts... there is events in lore, of competitions that have mechs doing hand stands, playing chess... they are jut not Gundam agile....

#7 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:02 AM

Some still don't understand that Mechwarrior, the game this trailer is for, and Mechwarrior Online are to seperate games?

The one that didn't get founding and development, which was a single player campaign driven retail game.
The other we are playing now, after the first one never came into existence, which is a mutliplayer online free to play game.

I guess MW2 and MW2:Mercs are also the same game, maybe even MW3. They share the same development studio as well. Starcraft and Starcraft:Ghost are also the same game it seems.

Edited by Egomane, 23 March 2015 - 09:18 AM.

#8 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:35 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 23 March 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

MWO doesn't even run on the same game engine anymore.

Anymore? It never did.

View PostRhaythe, on 23 March 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

And the Warhammer nearly killed the entire idea on the spot.

HG can burn in hell. ********.

#9 Zeusus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:39 AM

The only thing I see there which looks nicer is the destructible environment. All in all I think mwo came out better.

Wasn't that one set in 3025? IS only? Pfft I'll pass... IS mechs are all so boring anyways. :P

#10 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:45 AM

Destructible Environments to ;)

#11 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:47 AM

Actually, there is quite a lot about the trailer that can be critisized.

1. Trailers are not gamplay. Why are you posting this asking about why our game doesn't look this way? In reality this trailer is much closer to gameplay that most game trailers you see. I.E. World of Warcraft tailers look completely different than their gameplay.

2. That Atlas is fugly.

3. Warhammer is never going to be in the game, and the legal problems with it are old news. They should have known better

4. Stackpole-ing. It is such a terrible idea that I can't take it seriously. If you don't know what Stackpole-ing is, then look it up, but short answer is that mech reactors do NOT explode, or even melt down. They're fusion, and that isn't how fusion reactors work.

#12 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:52 AM

View PostEgomane, on 23 March 2015 - 09:02 AM, said:

Some still don't understand that Mechwarrior, the game this trailer is for, and Mechwarrior Online are to seperate games?

The one that didn't get founding and development, which was a single player campaign driven retail game.
The other we are playing now, after the first one never came into existence, which is a mutliplayer online free to play game.

I guess MW2 and MW2:Mercs are also the same game, maybe even MW3. They share the same development studio as well. Starcraft and Starcraft:Ghost are also the same game it seems.

I still want Jordan's Btech game.

We have to live with Shadowrun titles for a while I guess. Hopefully he's still in the industry when 2020 comes around. If the entire process here didnt burn him from Btech forever at least.

Actually they do explode, they just dont thermonuclear explode.

So what did I mean by an explosion of a non thermonuclear nature? Simple, if the safety systems are
over ridden by the operator and a disruption occurs, then it is possible for the plasma to interfere
with the super conductors that are used to maintain the magnetic containment field. If this happens
the super conductors will heat up and start loosing their conductivity. All the energies being
channeled through these conductors will then find their flow impeded and the tempetature rises even
higher for the superconductors (which further decreases conductivity). In the blink of an eye the
circuits get massively overloaded and an explosion occurs. This is what happens if somebody is
deliberately trying to cause an explosion.

Edited by KraftySOT, 23 March 2015 - 09:53 AM.

#13 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:55 AM

That entire trailer was scripted events including the environment.

#14 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:58 AM

But I can tell you all what people see in that trailer and love.

Its the pacing. Its the weight of weapons fire. Its the movement of the reticle, and the movement in the cockpit.

Thats what people latch onto that MWO doesnt reproduce that keeps this trailer coming up again, and again, and again, and again. Theres a huge wait between PPC firing, the PPC has a nice hefty effect, it knocks the other mech around, there appears to be a floating crosshair to make aiming difficult. The two mechs of high tonnage are battling each other without alpha strikes coring each other in seconds.

Thats what people want.

It has nothing to do with destructible environments, the quality or lack there of of the models, the explosion of the fusion reactor, ejecting, none of that.

Its the pacing and the gravitas, the weight, the heft, the power, of the weapons, that is apparent from the sound, effects, on hit effects, and recycle time. It looks cooler, more steadily paced, more tactical, and more immersive than our arcade action game.

Thats what people want. What we wanted during kickstarter, what we wanted since MW2 Mercs really. Gravitas.
grav·i·tas

ˈɡravəˌtäs/

noun[color=#878787 !important]
[/color]

• dignity, seriousness, or solemnity of manner.

Edit:

And really this is true of all the MW trailers and intros. What those show, and what the game plays like, are completely different.

This actually used to upset the heck out of people to the point that out of engine cutscenes are really a thing of the past.

In engine cutscenes, or even like Halflife presented, in game on going dynamic story telling with scripted events, is where its at these days.

We really should be emulating to a better degree, at least what was in the older trailers and intros. Its ridiculous that its been so many years, and we're still struggling over what to do about alphas, crosshairs, legging, knockdowns, sensors, movement archetypes, melee, combined arms warfare...

We still dont even have a leg dragging animation for a destroyed leg like they did in the MW2 trailer. Its...crazy sauce.

At least our PPCs arent Descent like balls of blue fuzz anymore.

Edited by KraftySOT, 23 March 2015 - 10:08 AM.

#15 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

"There is no possibility of a catastrophic accident in a fusion reactor resulting in major release of radioactivity to the environment or injury to non-staff, unlike modern fission reactors. The primary reason is that the requirements for nuclear fusion differ greatly from nuclear fission: fusion requires extremely precise and controlled temperature, pressure, and magnetic field parameters for any net energy to be produced, and a far smaller amount of fuel. If the reactor suffered damage or lost even a small degree of required control, fusion reactions and heat generation would rapidly cease."

"In the magnetic approach, strong fields are developed in coils that are held in place mechanically by the reactor structure. Failure of this structure could release this tension and allow the magnet to "explode" outward. The severity of this event would be similar to any other industrial accident or an MRI machine quench/explosion, and could be effectively stopped with a containment building similar to those used in existing (fission) nuclear generators. The laser-driven inertial approach is generally lower-stress. Although failure of the reaction chamber is possible, simply stopping fuel delivery would prevent any sort of catastrophic failure."

http://en.wikipedia....ident_potential

#16 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:03 AM

I BEAT YOU TO IT AGAIN...

You gotta keep up Stjobe ;)

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

View PostDaiichidoku, on 23 March 2015 - 06:50 AM, said:

How do you think this compares to what we ended up getting?

Too bad we dont have destructible environment, anyhow

remember one of the worst looking doughboy Atlases of all time? Yup.

Movement I like, destructible terrain, I like. Rest is just a animated short film.

#18 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 23 March 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

I BEAT YOU TO IT AGAIN...

You gotta keep up Stjobe ;)

I see it more as a tag-team effort. You use your :ph34r: skills to get basic info out fast, and I come puttering along later with my lab coat and glasses pushed onto my forehead and blather on endlessly about intricate details ;)

#19 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:06 AM

Hmm. Actually, what would it be like to restage this fight? Atlas vs say Grasshopper, with a Warhammer config.

Video it in River City and we do a comparison?

#20 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:06 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 23 March 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

-sigh- The mechs in battletech are NOT lumbering beasts... there is events in lore, of competitions that have mechs doing hand stands, playing chess... they are jut not Gundam agile....

new gamemode:

2 mechs sitting playing chess

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users