Reason To Get The Tdr-9Se Over The Scr-Prime?

65 replies to this topic

#21 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:56 AM

I'll pick up a crow, not because the TDR is bad, but Stormcrow have more good loadouts, and having 4 or 5 ready to drop is confortable.
-laservomit
-lurmer
-streakcrow
-wubcrow
-boomcrow
-dakkacrow

#22 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:52 AM

One is a Champion mech. You cannot buy a Champion mech with C-bills. Enough reason for me to choose it. Also, everyone with a clue already has the SCR Prime. Also, you can use the STD 315 in other mechs, which you cannot do with the engine of the SCR.

Having leveled the TDR SE, i must admit it is a crap mech though...

Edited by MechWarrior5152251, 29 March 2015 - 02:53 AM.

#23 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:00 AM

View PostMister D, on 28 March 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

That particular Thunderbolt is not a fair equivalent to the Stormcrow in any fashion what-so-ever.
Maybe for CW? shrug..?

The other Thunderbolts have the high right shoulder energy, which IMO is what makes them more important than the 9-SE, JJ's are not going to do you any good in it, not with the mid/low Hardpoint placement and low height cap and weak thrust on heavies.

Want to use LPL? 5SS gives base range bonuses that exceed the 9-SE, and offers the same heatgen quirks on top of having that high right shoulder..

Stormcrow is the better deal IMO.

I'll agree with what he said about the 5SS. The 9SE is a nice spare Thunderbolt or GXP grinder but the 5SS is just flatout better in terms of combat performance. I don't need another Prime SC and I really like my 5SS so my drive to getting 20 points isn't all that high. I'm mostly just happy for quick queues for CW so I can get more loyalty. :lol:

#24 Reptile Blackdeath

• PipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:42 AM

Right now, I'm just trying to find what one resells for more.. ;)

#25 zagibu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:47 AM

View PostSaltBeef, on 29 March 2015 - 01:43 AM, said:

Stormcrow durability of a assault mech ......You pulled that one out of your ass!

Not really, man. A twisting Stormcrow takes so much fire to put down. I actually prefer fighting Timberwolves and Hellbringers.

#26 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:00 AM

I chose the TDR 9SE for the reasons I listed previously. CW never really was an issue because I have my lineup for that.
Some points to make after getting to tweak it in mechlab.

I hate PPC, don't know why they messed with the speed but its agonizing to watch it just miss a target because they moved a little in the long long travel tiime, lasers you can at least pull it back on them.

This thing is not quirked for distance sniping and as was previously mentioned the weapons are lower slung than other TDR variants.
Some are suggesting 3 LPL as possible, its not, to heavy. Even if you rip out the BAP and JJs you're still a few tons short and it already has double heat sinks, endosteel and FF armor. The only option is to drop down to a smaller engine.
Could screw the quirks and go with 3 ERLL/LL but for me that would just be less, I have a KTO 20 with an XL285 that is around 15 KPH faster than this mech and is loaded with 3 LL, 2 Lrm5s, 2 tons of lrms, AMS and 1 ton of AMS ammo. The KTO is also an excellent climber so negates the TDRs JJ a bit.

The JJ are not as jumpy as Id hoped, I was hoping it would be more Jenner than an Atlas holding a Jenner under each arm.

That's the bad so for the good. Jump Jets. They help this mech out with hill climb and lower ledges. This is a huge tactical advantage in places like Canyon Network.
I did work up a decent loadout that works with the quirks, 1 LPL and 4 MPL, threw in the LPL range module I had, working on unlocking the LPL cooldown for it.
Or you could say screw the LPL specific quirks and build a decent short range alphastriker. 5 ML and 2 SRM6 get you to a 50 pnt alpha and still makes use of half the quirks.
I see this as an ambush backstabber, it can jump down behind an enemy, has the speed to maneuver behind a pre-occupied heavy/assault mech and has a few different potential alphas that would open rear torsos like a can opener.

Its a champion mech and I had thought about going Thunderbolts as my next master tier adventure.

Edit, I had thought it has an XL315 it does not it has a STD 315. Installing an XL300-315 would greatly unlock some potential.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 29 March 2015 - 10:13 AM.

#27 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:52 AM

3 reasons why you'd pick the Thunderbolt over the Stormcrow Doomcrow:

1) If C-bills/money is a non-issue, a free Thunderbolt Champion is better than spending the MC to buy it outright.

2) If you go IS only... well, it is what it is.

3) If you need a 3rd mech to grind out the Thunderbolts (5SS and 9S are still good), here you go.

For the most part, going Stormcrow is a no-brainer unless you have no need for it (it's not the Invasion variant, so its value isn't as high as it could be).

#28 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 29 March 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

1) If C-bills/money is a non-issue, a free Thunderbolt Champion is better than spending the MC to buy it outright.

3) If you need a 3rd mech to grind out the Thunderbolts (5SS and 9S are still good), here you go.

For the most part, going Stormcrow is a no-brainer unless you have no need for it (it's not the Invasion variant, so its value isn't as high as it could be).

This.

Unless you fit into the categories laid out there, get the Stormcrow.

#29 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

For me, pretty sure the Stormcrow sells for me. *shrug*

#30 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

Get the Stormcrow; it sells for more C-Bills.

#31 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:22 AM

Completed the 20matches and got the choice.

Picked the Thunderbolt, even though i was sure i'll take the Stormcrow just to sell it.

EDIT: I'm an idiot.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 29 March 2015 - 11:34 AM.

#32 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:22 AM

Since i wanna build a IS DropDeck and i have the SCRs mastered i choose the TDR. It is a Champion Mech, and i will not spend MC to get them into my Hanger. If i need a 4th SCR i can buy it for C-Bill, so in the end i got the TDR

#33 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 29 March 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

Completed the 20matches and got the choice.

Picked the Thunderbolt, even though i was sure i'll take the Stormcrow just to sell it.

Kind of thought i might need that 315 XL engine. I was thinking of getting the Cicadas next and a pretty large engine like that might be useful. Especially since it's free.

Too bad it comes with a STD engine, eh?

#34 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:33 AM

View Postzagibu, on 29 March 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

Too bad it comes with a STD engine, eh?

Well, i guess i'm an idiot... I could've sworn it was an XL...

No clue what i'll do with such a large STD engine :lol: I'll probably just sell my normal 9SE and keep the Champion then.

#35 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:56 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 29 March 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

Well, i guess i'm an idiot... I could've sworn it was an XL...

No clue what i'll do with such a large STD engine :lol: I'll probably just sell my normal 9SE and keep the Champion then.

That's what I did, every give-away champ mech offered has been for a mech I've long mastered, so sell my normal version and keep the champ to free up a mech bay.

#36 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:00 AM

View Postzagibu, on 29 March 2015 - 04:47 AM, said:

Not really, man. A twisting Stormcrow takes so much fire to put down. I actually prefer fighting Timberwolves and Hellbringers.

Shoot the legs. They are impossible to miss and impossible to shield. Legging a crow is simple and quick.

#37 ThirtyOughtSix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 318 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:13 AM

View PostMister D, on 28 March 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

That particular Thunderbolt is not a fair equivalent to the Stormcrow in any fashion what-so-ever.
Maybe for CW? shrug..?

The other Thunderbolts have the high right shoulder energy, which IMO is what makes them more important than the 9-SE, JJ's are not going to do you any good in it, not with the mid/low Hardpoint placement and low height cap and weak thrust on heavies.

Want to use LPL? 5SS gives base range bonuses that exceed the 9-SE, and offers the same heatgen quirks on top of having that high right shoulder..

Stormcrow is the better deal IMO.

TDR9SE may not be perfect but I can tell you it's a great performer. If you run XL and tweak it just right 4 LPL is possible. Add I'm range module and your extending out to almost 500m at 44 damage (which ends up being darn near pinpoint). My own performance with it is by far the best out of any chassis - usually 6-10 damage in puglandia.

I'm curious have you piloted one?

Needless to say I got my second TDR9SE(c) with this event and am very happy. Now I've got a clone of my favorite mech for 2x the pew pew in CW.

#38 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:27 AM

View PostHyper99, on 30 March 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

My own performance with it is by far the best out of any chassis - usually 6-10 damage in puglandia.

...erm...congratulations? :D

I took the 9SE too. CB are no issue and I rarely play my Stormcrows.
Going to play around and try to find a 9SE loadout which works for me.

#39 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:33 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 30 March 2015 - 04:00 AM, said:

Shoot the legs. They are impossible to miss and impossible to shield. Legging a crow is simple and quick.

Yeah, I hear that a lot. To be honest, I have great troubles legging any mech. I don't know if it's hitreg or ping or simply my bad aim, but I usually can't even leg easy to leg mechs like Quickdraws, when they don't stand still.

Also, the problem with legging SCRs is that even after you have destroyed a leg, they continue to melt your face, because legging them doesn't reduce their firepower.

Edited by zagibu, 30 March 2015 - 04:34 AM.

#40 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:38 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 29 March 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

TDR-9SE-3LPL...solid for CW. I have six SCRs but only one of those and I can always buy a CB SCR...

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users