Low Gpu Usage

12 replies to this topic

#1 Poisoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

I have a water cooled Radeon R9 290 and I am getting low frame rates and GPU usage in MWO when it gets into the brawl. I was under the impression I was CPU bound, however MWO is using all six cores and only one is more hitting more than 75% and GPU usage averages about 50-75%. Let me list my system specs. I am using 64 bit MWO.

CPU: i7 970
GPU: R9 290
RAM: 12GB
SSD 240GB
Resolution: 2560x1080

user.cfg file:

cl_fov = 80
gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=0
r_DepthOfField=0
r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0

Just added these lines with no effect.
r_MultiThreaded = 1
ca_thread0Affinity = 0
ca_thread1Affinity = 2
r_WaterUpdateThread = 4
sys_main_CPU = 0
sys_physics_CPU = 6
sys_streaming_CPU = 4

Edited by Poisoner, 29 March 2015 - 11:43 AM.

#2 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:56 PM

ca_thread0Affinity cannot simply be moved; sys_physics_CPU = 6 means it's on core #2, as you are a quad core.

Turn off Damage Glow, screen shack, and v-sync; Reduce Object Detail, Shadows, and Particles to Medium; Post Precessing should be High; Environment seems to be best at Low, but feel free to tests as far as High; There's no reason to mess with Effects; You've got the VRAM for Very Textures, and if you ever find yourself GPU limited, drop Shaders once or twice.

I don't know my way around AntiAslising with ATI cards, so I'm gon'a advise sticking with PostAA in game.

Get you sliders sorted out, then add
;sys_budget_sysmem = 4096
sys_MaxFPS = 60
cl_fov = 46
d3d10_TripleBuffering = 1
d3d11_TripleBuffering = 1
d3d9_TripleBuffering = 1
sys_budget_streamingthroughput = [x times 1024]
sys_LocalMemoryGeometryStreamingSpeedLimit = x
sys_LocalMemoryTextureStreamingSpeedLimit = x
sys_streaming_max_bandwidth = x

sys_budget_videomem = 4096

r_MultiThreaded = 2
r_GeomInstancing = 1
r_multiGPU = 0
r_silhouettePOM = 0
r_stereodevice = 0
;r_TexMaxAnisotropy = 16
;r_TexMinAnisotropy = 16
;r_Texture_Anisotropic_Level = 16
r_UsePOM = 0
ca_PrecacheAnimationSets = 1

sys_budget_soundCPU = 0

r_WaterUpdateThread = 2
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 0
sys_streaming_CPU = 2
sys_physics_CPU = 3
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 3

;ca_thread0Affinity = type: int current: 5 = 1
;sys_TaskThread2_CPU = type: int current: 4 = 0
;sys_TaskThread4_CPU = type: int current: 2
; O_o
;ca_thread1Affinity = type: int current: 3
;sys_main_CPU = type: int current: 0

;sys_TaskThread0_CPU = type: int current: 3
;sys_TaskThread1_CPU = type: int current: 5 = 1
;sys_TaskThread3_CPU = type: int current: 3

e_GsmCache = 1
r_FogShadows = 0

q_ShaderWater = 0

You get "x" by typing "winsat mem" into an command prompt.

fovCalc

#3 Frytrixa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:09 PM

It's all about the particle effects, turn it to low and you can raise everything else.

P.S. And hands off Antialiasing other than PostAA...

#4 Frederick Steiner A F

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationthe Blue Pearl in the black Space of the Milky Way of Sun's fading away

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:46 AM

@ Goose First i like to thank you for Posting this nice File, i was searching a while which Graphic Tweaks work in MWO. (Got in Mind that changing this Values was working great for better Performance in Crysis 2 Engine, so may tweaking them here should work too).
But i got a little Question about this Line :
sys_budget_streamingthroughput = [x times 1024]

I´ve run the Winsat Cmd and get a Value of 13656,29 Mb/s. Now should i take this Value divided through 1024 and put in there? Or am i wrong? And about a the Core Affinitys, me got a Sixcore here, so what Values should i take?
Thanks for your Help anyways,
sincerly
F S

#5 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

sys_budget_streamingthroughput = 13984040
would be the result of 13656.29 x 1024, rounded down.

I must say your winsat mem result is pretty low: Are you shore your RAM is in duel channel mode?

Also; To the low limits of my testing, that file is for quad-core Intels: Does that describe your system, Mr. Steiner? Derp

FX-6xx0 you say?

#6 Frederick Steiner A F

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationthe Blue Pearl in the black Space of the Milky Way of Sun's fading away

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

It is, but i got low numbers on the Ram here through the OC of the Cpu and the resulting changes in the Bios. I was likely used to set CR 1t (from remembering playing with ram timings in the ddr1/2 area with good results) and have tried to put the timings as sharp as stable, but in the end its still a low clocked 1600er Ram.(Unganged by the way) The Phenom havent a good memory controller, so im a lil bounded. Cpu is an Phenom 2 1090T at 3,6Ghz clocked via multiplicator/Bios, Ram is an corsair vengeance 4x4GB Kit. Timings are 8 8 8 22 trc 34 CR 1 at 201 MHz. If i may can ask you to give me hints which Values i should take in with this Hardware of mine?

Edited by Frederick Steiner A F, 31 March 2015 - 11:09 AM.

#7 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:13 PM

Tinkering with RAM is one of those diminishing returns things: My advise is generally spring for something both fast and tight, as per it's XMP, and move on, thus you should look up your motherboard and buy something

You will want a copy of ether of the MemTest86 versions if you intend to go at this, hammer and tongs, and there's a coma-inducing article on the subject, but you could cheat with this; Note how the general princable is Hz first, timings second, but not a distant second …

I can only guess as to how useful this might be, but I found it with this search.

Good luck!

#8 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:43 PM

D'oh

#9 Frederick Steiner A F

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:21 AM

Thank you for your replies Goose. I know that Ram Timings are very important in case of performance, and i still miss my good ddr timings of 3 to 4 Latencys, it really gives the k6 and athlon boards a Boost in Performance. But here on this Board right now, its a Gigabyte 990FX ud 5, and with this Cpu... I was thinking much of what type of ram to buy, 2-3 Years ago ram prices were really low, but after reading much on google that the Phenom 2 cant take much Mhz on the Memorycontroller and have its faults, i stay on the Corsair CML16GX3M4A1600C9 4x4gb ddr 3 1600 Kit. So i must take the best out of it. And this setting was the best prime and kombustor stable i get to.(Aircooling here) Any further Hints are welcome.
Your config helped in case of fps right now with the Cpu settings not working, so may i can beg you again to tell how to set the Values right for a Sixcore?
And thank you again for your Help.
F S

Update. Have played the last hours a bit with the Settings(@bios: fsb, multiplicators, ramtiming). Problem is the Ram dont like to be over 850-880 Mhz(1:4). ant at this timings i must soft up the latencys up to 11 and set 2 t CR. so i stay now at a stable fsb of 250, ram at 833 MHz/1666DDR3 with 8 8 8 24 34 1CR, and the Phenom at 3.6. Northbridge and HT set at a straight 2000(heard they work best at this Freq.) but even now i stare at a 136xx.xx winsat score...(should havent hear on google and buyed the 1866/2xxx Kit)

Edited by Frederick Steiner A F, 01 April 2015 - 07:22 AM.

#10 GentlemanBryan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMemphis, Tn

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:58 AM

According to your spec's you should not be having this problem. MWO is CPU heavy. Have you tried re-installing MWO?

#11 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:11 PM

Hate to say it, Fred, but this seems like the bleeding edge of tuning … And I'm not tracking you as well as I'd like. :(

But check this out: Hours in MemTest86+ …

#12 Frederick Steiner A F

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:58 AM

@MAVRICK64 :, i have tried that a few times, even set it on the System SSD. But that dont makes a feelable Difference in means of Fps. Use of the Repairtool and cleaning the Shaders also done after each Patch/ Problem/ Graphic Options changed.

@Goose: Thanks for your Links, one of them was quite useful, as i have taken the Northbridge up to around 2,5 Ghz, set the Fsb at 222 Mhz, Cpu around 3,67 GHz, and the Ram works now under the 1866 Profile with 9 9 9 24 34 1tCR stable at 888Mhz (1:4)/1792. Gives me a bit forwards in the winsat of 16509,39 MB/s. But i think there isnt so much i can further do right now, expect playing withe northbridge and HT and the Fsb MHz/ratios.
Ram dont want to take more Mhz or lower Cas, Cpu is AC and on the save point of thermal reserves, getting it stable on 3.8 without volt increase by 4 hours prime95 and kombustor, but gets a lil to hot for my feelings.
So... if i may can ask you to tell me how the cpu/tread commands work in the user cfg of MWO? (I´m sick of getting Framerate breach in, esp. in Situations where fluid Fps are needed to.)

#13 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:52 AM

Normally, I only get that request twice a year, so I blow it off; You've just made it once a month, so maybe I need to get on it … Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users