• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

View PostBarantor, on 01 April 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

Except that it was supposed to be.....

To handle the tremendous heat load of its weaponry the Awesome carries twenty-eight heat sinks, although even these can be overwhelmed; most pilots only fire two of their PPCs per salvo to reduce the strain. With fifteens tons of armor plating the Awesome is one of the most heavily-armored assault 'Mechs, making it better protected than even the BattleMaster, including some of the thickest rear armor of any 'Mech. Although an enemy coming at it from the rear or left flank has a fighting chance, most soldiers agree that "the only defense against an Awesome is another Awesome."

Posted Image

#82 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:39 AM

Here's a sad truth.

Even the Hoverjet™ nerfed Highlander (with a 325 engine) can run faster than the STD 300 engine Awesome (essentially any variant but the 9M and PB) thanks to the +5% Speed quirk.

Just let that marinate in your head a bit.

Edited by Deathlike, 01 April 2015 - 10:08 AM.

#83 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:03 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 31 March 2015 - 06:01 PM, said:

Which is near impossible to do since ERPPCs are so damn hot, so damn slow and so bad damage per shot.....

Thus in a Team based game, you require a good Light Scout pilot out locking targets for LRM's as you close to your erLL/LL/LPL ranges. ;)

Why does everyone seem to believe that "every" Mech that they drive, no matter what it is, should be able to kill all 12 enemy Mechs all by itself, or it Sucks?

Edited by Almond Brown, 01 April 2015 - 10:04 AM.

#84 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 01 April 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

Thus in a Team based game, you require a good Light Scout pilot out locking targets for LRM's as you close to your erLL/LL/LPL ranges. ;)

Why does everyone seem believe that "every" Mech they drive should be able to kill of all 12 enemy Mechs by itself, or it sucks?

Three words...

Call
Of
Duity

If one has any experience with the TT side of this game, they will know that doing soloing 12 mechs, is not something that is going to happen... it's also why I think having the Death Star achievement, is such a silly thing, that 99% of the player-base could only get if they exploited the game mechanics in some way, or had an extremely well co-ordinated group beat all 12 mechs with in an inch of their lives, letting one guy get the killing blows.

#85 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:08 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 31 March 2015 - 06:14 PM, said:

MWO really doesn't have support in general. Firepower is the dominating force when building almost any mech. It's unfortunate. I wish support equipment and support focused mechs would be given greater importance so we can move away from having every single mech built specifically as a damage dealer.

If you're a "Support Mech", then you also have to have Teammates that will allow you use of that "Support" effectively. In MWO it is called the "R" key. Apparently not all Keyboards come with a "R" key as standard. ;)

(can't think of any other reason why "everyone" doesn't use it, a lot. It can't really be a "selfish act" or they may "steal my kill" thing right?)

Edited by Almond Brown, 01 April 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#86 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:20 AM

View PostBarantor, on 01 April 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

Except that it was supposed to be.....

To handle the tremendous heat load of its weaponry the Awesome carries twenty-eight heat sinks, although even these can be overwhelmed; most pilots only fire two of their PPCs per salvo to reduce the strain. With fifteens tons of armor plating the Awesome is one of the most heavily-armored assault 'Mechs, making it better protected than even the BattleMaster, including some of the thickest rear armor of any 'Mech. Although an enemy coming at it from the rear or left flank has a fighting chance, most soldiers agree that "the only defense against an Awesome is another Awesome."

Sarna fluff does not = / = the weaknesses inherent in it's virtual-world design. Reality is, it's not a armored juggernaut, is a broad and easily hit target and it's inability to brawl in it's standard configuration only exacerbates it's deficiencies.

I claim false advertising... ^_^

#87 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:22 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 01 April 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

If you're a "Support Mech", then you also have to have Teammates that will allow you use of that "Support" effectively. In MWO it is called the "R" key. Apparently not all Keyboards come with a "R" key as standard. ;)

(can't think of any other reason why "everyone" doesn't use it, a lot. It can't really be a "selfish act" or they may "steal my kill" thing right?)

If only the "R" key got used as much as the "S" key.

#88 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:24 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 01 April 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

... it's also why I think having the Death Star achievement, is such a silly thing, that 99% of the player-base could only get if they exploited the game mechanics in some way,...

Isn´t having those exploits exist the root of the problem, instead of the achievement confirming it?

#89 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:39 AM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 01 April 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:

Isn´t having those exploits exist the root of the problem, instead of the achievement confirming it?

Or is it a problem by having that achievement, likely to incite players to find and use those exploits to get a title that would otherwise be impossible to get?

Will I ever see it? Nope, I'm not that good, though I did have a good match this morning with my Locust 1E that netted me 2 kills, and got me out of basics....

Do I begrudge people that have that title? Nope, and I have great respect for those that have somehow managed to earn it legitimately, as I do for those with Ace of Spades.

Do I think having it as an achievement was silly on the part of the DEV team? yep.

#90 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:39 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 01 April 2015 - 09:39 AM, said:

Here's a sad truth.

Even the Hoverjet™ nerfed Highlander (with a 325 engine) can run faster than the STD 300 engine Awesome (essentially any variant but the 9M and PB) thanks to the +5% Speed quirk.

Just let that marinate in your head a bit.

Why give up 5.5t of your 10t advantage (better heat management or weapons) to run a mere 1-2kph faster?

Doing that just marinates ones head. :)

AWS 66.8 tweaked @300(25t)
HGN 64.3 tweaked x 5% = 67.5 @325(30.5t)

Edited by Almond Brown, 01 April 2015 - 10:40 AM.

#91 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:46 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 01 April 2015 - 10:39 AM, said:

Why give up 5.5t of your 10t advantage (better heat management or weapons) to run a mere 1-2kph faster?

Doing that just marinates ones head. :)

AWS 66.8 tweaked @300(25t)
HGN 64.3 tweaked x 5% = 67.5 @325(30.5t)

You think too linearly. There's always an alternative option.

Edited by Deathlike, 01 April 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#92 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:54 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 01 April 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

You think too linearly. There's always an alternative option.

Not really. Always alternatives, true enough, but that post was in response to a statement about how a HGN(90t) runs faster than a AWS(80t), when in reality, it does so at a rate that is not even relevant in put in game terms.

But the 5.5t saved, by also running a HGN at 300, can be put to much better use. ;)

Edited by Almond Brown, 01 April 2015 - 10:55 AM.

#93 InRev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:01 AM

"Support" mechs don't work in this game because the amount of firepower that they can bring to a fight is usually not sufficient to offset the tactical complications and lack of flexibility that come with them. LRMs are terrible against competent players, and mechs that require a babysitter, like Awesomes usually do, are more of a liability than an asset.

Plus, since most of the maps in this game are MOBA style lanes+chokepoints, having a team with similar speeds, armor, ranges and firepower potential is preferable since you can swap out damaged mechs on the front lines with fresh ones and not suffer because of it and it allows you to be flexible when situations change. Everyone likes to think they're the next Napoleon and that "superior tactics and strategy will win the day!!!" but the reality is K.I.S.S. is preferable when the shots are flying.

Until "support" mechs get sufficient firepower upgrades to justify their inclusion, you're likely to just see organized teams composed of the absolute best mechs for the meta at the time.

#94 Malckovich

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

View Postzagibu, on 31 March 2015 - 07:47 AM, said:

Have you looked at it? It has the surface area of three medium mechs combined.

Or 5 Panthers combined, ie Voltron.

#95 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

View PostInRev, on 01 April 2015 - 11:01 AM, said:

"Support" mechs don't work in this game because the amount of firepower that they can bring to a fight is usually not sufficient to offset the tactical complications and lack of flexibility that come with them. LRMs are terrible against competent players, and mechs that require a babysitter, like Awesomes usually do, are more of a liability than an asset.

Plus, since most of the maps in this game are MOBA style lanes+chokepoints, having a team with similar speeds, armor, ranges and firepower potential is preferable since you can swap out damaged mechs on the front lines with fresh ones and not suffer because of it and it allows you to be flexible when situations change. Everyone likes to think they're the next Napoleon and that "superior tactics and strategy will win the day!!!" but the reality is K.I.S.S. is preferable when the shots are flying.

Until "support" mechs get sufficient firepower upgrades to justify their inclusion, you're likely to just see organized teams composed of the absolute best mechs for the meta at the time.

If "META" is your thing, or your groups thing, then fair enough. I have been apart of and been on the wrong end of some great matches where the "Support" Mechs were allowed to do their roles well and cause absolute havoc to the enemy. Then as if by some miracle, when the enemy tried to get to said "Support" Mechs to shut them down, it turned out that they also received "support" from their team mates.

"Support" Mech does not always means LRM's either btw. Lasers now have plenty of range and zip with which to do their "Support" work. :)

#96 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:18 PM

View PostMadcap72, on 01 April 2015 - 01:32 AM, said:

Alomost like...

It was never intended to be a "first line" assault mech.

CRAZY!!!!

except that it was.

#97 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

View PostDaZur, on 01 April 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

Sarna fluff does not = / = the weaknesses inherent in it's virtual-world design. Reality is, it's not a armored juggernaut, is a broad and easily hit target and it's inability to brawl in it's standard configuration only exacerbates it's deficiencies.

I claim false advertising... ^_^

By MWO , perhaps.

As it was supposed to be one of the toughest, best armored mechs in existence..... with a slimmer profile. and PPCs are supposed to hit for full damage under 90m..... just are harder to aim.

As nerfed as the PPC is, and since sub 90m aiming is hard to emulate, I wish they would just give it a blanket 50% damage reduction under 90 meters. It's too slow a projectile for long range sniping, which is the only way the 90m thing sis "fair" is if it were a long range threat...

It's too hot, nad too gimped for Short to medium...so that seems a fair trade.

#98 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:25 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 April 2015 - 04:23 PM, said:

By MWO , perhaps.

As it was supposed to be one of the toughest, best armored mechs in existence..... with a slimmer profile. and PPCs are supposed to hit for full damage under 90m..... just are harder to aim.

As nerfed as the PPC is, and since sub 90m aiming is hard to emulate, I wish they would just give it a blanket 50% damage reduction under 90 meters. It's too slow a projectile for long range sniping, which is the only way the 90m thing sis "fair" is if it were a long range threat...

It's too hot, nad too gimped for Short to medium...so that seems a fair trade.

Its why PGI should change the IS ERPPC to a 10 dmg, 13 heat, 4s CD, 1250 velocity...then a few minor quirks on a select few mechs like the Awesome.

#99 Dugra Dugrasson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 139 posts
  • LocationKris Kringle's Resistance Bunker

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:35 PM

Before they do that, PGI needs to remodel the Awesome. It's the size of an Atlas.

#100 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:02 PM

View PostMycrus, on 31 March 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

Awesomes are awesome.

Play it to its quirks.

Joysticks for aim is inferior to the mouse because of how the game is coded.

First vs zero order controls... google it

i use mouse + throttle + pedals which takes the best of all scenarios.

I understand what you are saying, but my current joystick allows me to place the cursor very accurately so I don't think there is much difference except for the speed of it which might be .5 seconds for a mouse and 1 second with the joystick.

What you gain with a joystick is you control the mech with one hand which gives you faster and more intuitive control of how the mech moves. Sure you can learn Mouse+Keyboard, but all things being equal the joystick will always have the edge. In the beginning though, mouse+keyboard is a nightmare to learn, joystick takes a day or two. And hey, I got a snapshot headshot on a Raven yesterday so with a good joystick, your fine now.

Using the Thrustmaster T16000.m, which has a return spring that is too strong, so I opened it and zip tied 2 spring coils together, which gets the return very smooth, and voids your warranty, but it was only $45. It has a magnetic sensor array which tracks the joystick's positional data over a 16000x16000 grid. Very accurate. Tracks lasers well too.

The giveaway that a player is using a mouse+keyboard is that they will ram you at close range when you start to circle-strafe because they can't cut the corners and aim w,a,s,d as well, so they have no choice. Everything is a trade-off.

Edited by Lightfoot, 01 April 2015 - 08:06 PM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users