Reseen unseen pictures

218 replies to this topic

Poll: What design you like better? (541 member(s) have cast votes)

So, which design you would prefer for developers to (someday) implement in MW:O?

1. Reseen. They do look cool and still recognizable. I want to see them in game! Or, maybe, their adaptation by Alex! (295 votes [54.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.53%

2. Unseen. The developers must go to another (hopeless) fight with HG over the old design! In the worst case, Alex and only Alex should make new reseen version! (246 votes [45.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 CaptainZot

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

I want the mech designs from the original box set in the game. The DESIGNS not necessarily the art. After all the frustration I've had not being able to use them for years in computer games I just want them to be usable. Even if they have to change the names by a letter or something so that they don't break some stipulation of the settlement, I want them. They should all be redesigned so that they are recognizable as being what they were for the most part, but also varied enough from the original I.P. art that nobody could claim that the new designs are breaking copy-write. This really shouldn't be that difficult really. After all, there are only so many ways that you can make a giant robot look.

#202 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

View PostCaptainZot, on 07 July 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

I want the mech designs from the original box set in the game. The DESIGNS not necessarily the art. After all the frustration I've had not being able to use them for years in computer games I just want them to be usable. Even if they have to change the names by a letter or something so that they don't break some stipulation of the settlement, I want them. They should all be redesigned so that they are recognizable as being what they were for the most part, but also varied enough from the original I.P. art that nobody could claim that the new designs are breaking copy-write. This really shouldn't be that difficult really. After all, there are only so many ways that you can make a giant robot look.

it's not the names that are in question but the images representing them, thus, the controversy, there is no 'settlement' that's the problem, noone wants to give Harmony Gold any kind of legitimazation to their accusations, so they simply keep those mech's 'unseen' and now they're doing exactly that, changing the artwork to try and keep the flavor of the mech while being different enough from the robotech clones so as not to spur new action from HG which is the only way the unseen BS is ever going to end without a long drawn out legal battle which would, most likely, accomplish nothing.

#203 Caltran

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:07 AM

Honestly I grew up watching Robotech and playing Battletech and Mechwarrior. The original unseen are great and all, but I think it would be better to keep MWO apart from Robotech/Macross. I love the originals don't get me wrong but the reseen still have that look that lets you know where they came from. Sort of like when a car changes body style...but yes some are awful still.

#204 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

View PostCaltran, on 08 July 2012 - 01:07 AM, said:

Honestly I grew up watching Robotech and playing Battletech and Mechwarrior. The original unseen are great and all, but I think it would be better to keep MWO apart from Robotech/Macross. I love the originals don't get me wrong but the reseen still have that look that lets you know where they came from. Sort of like when a car changes body style...but yes some are awful still.

exactly, let's make the unseen versions of the 2010 charger XD

#205 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

What is really suprising is that even now, when most of registered forum posters are old-school players, the reseen versions are actually winning. And that's a good sign, IMO.

#206 Xytaglyph

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

i support this thread

#207 Sept Wolfke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

really what I see being not said that maybe I can put a voice to is the fact that Alex is turning out some beautiful mech chasis and when we say something along the lines of 'with Alex's touch' we're meaning 'with Alex's improvements.'

more to the point though, I think almost all the reseen mech designs are inferior to the unseen ones. Truthfully, the only reseen design I think is good is the reseen marauder.

so the subject of using the unseen designs has been settled for years and I don't think anything is going to bring those designs back to life under the battletech banner. I also sense that the devs aren't producing unseen/reseen mech chasis' just to stay a safe distance away from the copyright infringement issue that created the whole unseen/reseen debacle in the first place. I could be wrong on this but it seems like a reasonable guess as to why there are no unseen/reseen chasis in the mech list for MWO.

so really what it boils down to is that IF they include the unseen/reseen mechs, then Alex needs to save them from their current state of design-ugliness. If he doesn't take creative license on the chasis designs then I'd almost rather not see them in the game cuz they're just butt ugly.

#208 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

huh, I just read some interesting tidbits, apparently they had originally planned this game to take place during the third succession war (which is why, apparently, it got hit by HG, since that is the era during which the unseen were predominant) just imagine how upset the clanners would be if they had to wait a quarter century to get their mechs :D

#209 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

View PostDamion Sparhawk, on 09 July 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

huh, I just read some interesting tidbits, apparently they had originally planned this game to take place during the third succession war (which is why, apparently, it got hit by HG, since that is the era during which the unseen were predominant) just imagine how upset the clanners would be if they had to wait a quarter century to get their mechs :D

Heh.
Well, they will still have to wait a lot. Though, they are still a bit more lucky, than 3025 era fans - no HG for them

#210 Caltran

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

View PostUndead Bane, on 09 July 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

Heh.
Well, they will still have to wait a lot. Though, they are still a bit more lucky, than 3025 era fans - no HG for them

Yeah I am one of those fans...but I would have enjoyed the Third Succession War.

#211 driveandkill

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:17 AM

The Reseen Mechs look too much like the ones from Anime movies most of them seem very light and agile.
I like the Reseen Longbow and Rifleman tho!

Edited by driveandkill, 30 August 2012 - 05:20 AM.

#212 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:33 AM

Some a very cool. The marauder for exemple is very well made.

But the Warhammer.... >_>....

MEEEHHHHHH..........

#213 Erasus Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 383 posts
  • LocationUnited States Of Mind

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

View PostSteelgrave, on 01 July 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

This artist has some reinterpretations of the Marauder that I rather like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

drool, me want! nao!

#214 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

I wish they just went ahead and made the reseen RESEEN. As in, a reboot. I'd accept them even if they were uglier in that case.

Instead they did some stupid half-sorta reboot where they try to explain the reseen aren't actually the original designs but some new (ugh) ***** era stuff.

It shot the whole point in the foot. RIGHT in the foot. Because instead of bringing classic mechs back in the fold with new artwork, they instead just added a whole bunch of new mechs with matching names and it actually leaves the unseen, well, unseen. Ultimately all they did was one step from making a bunch of "sequel" mechs and taking II to the end, because really, that's what the reseen are!

As such I'd rather steer clear of Project Phoenix. If we were going to get reseen art, I'd rather FlyingDebris just do it himself - I think he could come up with new designs we'd be happy with if we could all accept a retcon. I know I could, I've thought the unseen situation should be retcon'ed for years!

(EDIT: To be honest I'd accept a retcon just on the grounds of thinking it's silly we're sharing art with another franchise. It'd be like seeing Tie Fighters pop up in a Wing Commander sequel or something, who had them first be damned!)

EDIT 2: Oh my God, they censor J - ihad. I need to seriously go make a post on the forum about the forums.

Edited by Victor Morson, 31 August 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#215 Arnie1808

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 546 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:28 AM

View PostSteelgrave, on 01 July 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

This artist has some reinterpretations of the Marauder that I rather like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This looks FINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGG Awesome!

I would pilot that until its legs fell off <_<

#216 Faol

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 65 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

the "official" reseen are pieces of cr**.

how can one want to pilot a reseen marauder if one know the perfect harmonic optic of the unseen marauder??
and the reseen locust looks just emberassing and ridiculous - i don't know if i should laugh or cry when i see those both.

but i could live with the new marauder optic posted on this side (or the side before) :)

#217 Haven Miles

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationWiesbaden

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the unseen have officially returned.

The only designs we'll probably never see again are the Harmony Gold designs:

Archer, Longbow, Rifleman, Warhammer, Wasp, Stinger, Phoenix Hawk, Crusader, Marauder, Stinger LAM, Wasp LAM and Phoenix Hawk LAM.

In 2009 Catalyst Game Labs announced, that they had all the "unseen" back. They only could not obtain the designs mentioned above, since HG's exclusive rights.

Though we’re still able to use many of the unseen designs, these core twelve remain some of the most beloved.

So Battlemaster, Griffin, Shadow Hawk, Locust (!) and the others are no longer unseen according to this post.

Source:
http://www.battletec...e-want-them-to/

Have you seen more of this guy's work? It's incredible:

http://shimmering-sw...deviantart.com/

Like this astonishing Rifleman:

Posted Image

Edited by Haven Miles, 24 September 2012 - 12:15 AM.

#218 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

That marauder redesign above? It's the same artist iirc...

in which case yeah we've seen his work.

#219 Haven Miles

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationWiesbaden

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

Yeah that's him.

Oh and I saw this:
http://bg.battletech...pic,9479.0.html

much much sad... :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users