Damage Animation Overkill

33 replies to this topic

#1 KahnWongFuChung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:22 AM

I think most players like the maps and terrain fine what I think they don't like is all the weapons damage animations which should be toned down by 50%.. or more.

The overall weapons damage animation is so overkill how can you even play the game when your whole screen is constantly filled with all this damage animation? I would like to see PGI reduce overall weapons damage animation by 50% or more so it would be more like the older PC MechWarrior games..

Edited by KahnWongFuChung, 20 January 2016 - 07:31 AM.

#2 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:29 AM

wat

#3 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:30 AM

.. Oh, you mean from the missiles. Right. Yeah, probably. Lasers just have hissing and barely any visual hit animation.. Ballistics.. Well. Ballistic damage animation pretty much reflects the damage they are doing. If you're getting hit with that much ballistic fire that you can't see, you're also going to be dead quite soon and should back off. As the lack of seeing would also suggest.

Missiles though. Yup. Though they also hit higher on the mech.. so maybe it also makes sense. Posted Image

Idk. I haven't had much issues with it unless I was getting focused by the majority of the enemy team, and even then, it is reasonable, since that is a LOT of damage being inflicted at once, and at least some will be aimed near my cockpit..

P.s. And by the way. Explosions.. They tend to make a mess. This "simulator" game already has drastically reduced explosion effects compared to what it would look like as real stuff.

P.s.s. Explosions. Posted Image

Edited by Gamuray, 19 January 2016 - 07:32 AM.

#4 Nikki Kerensky

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:32 AM

Ehh, what indeed? I mean, the exactly opposite is needed. Bigger, louder, cooler explosions. Cool laser effects.

#5 Team Chevy86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:35 AM

Improved gyros. It's a cheap module and it helps
Honestly if you just keep your cool, you don't even notice it

#6 KahnWongFuChung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:38 AM

Ehh, what indeed? I mean, the exactly opposite is needed. Bigger, louder, cooler explosions. Cool laser effects.

And I agree if there not right in your screen blinding you like when you get focus fired on by missles/balisitics or 6+ lasers and your whole screen is just filled with so much animation effect your frozen and blind to what's going on around you.

Edited by KahnWongFuChung, 19 January 2016 - 07:39 AM.

#7 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:24 AM

Despite the bad sentence grammar, I think I know what he means. It seems like even though your cockpit is this tiny window portion of your mech, that is where all of your enemies' LRMs and AC dakka is landing, seriously obscuring your screen and driving your framerate way, way down.

#8 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:49 AM

View PostKahnWongFuChung, on 19 January 2016 - 07:22 AM, said:

I would like to see PGI reduce overall weapons damage animation by 50% o more so it would be more like the older PC MechWarrior games..

Sorry, but older PC mechwarrior titles were actually a lot worse. Perhaps you forgot your entire torso getting rocked skyward by a UAC-20 in MW3, or large lasers actually pushing your torso around in MW4?

#9 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:51 AM

Want the "missile shake" toned down... take the Advanced Gyro module. That's literally what it's there for.

#10 KahnWongFuChung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:54 AM

(CAPPER)Despite the bad sentence grammar, I think I know what he means. It seems like even though your cockpit is this tiny window portion of your mech, that is where all of your enemies' LRMs and AC dakka is landing, seriously obscuring your screen and driving your framerate way, way down.
===================================================================================================
Exactly sometimes the animation is so overwhelming you cant see to back out of focus fire and into a safe place to reengages enemy's.
===================================================================================================
(ARESYS)Sorry, but older PC mechwarrior titles were actually a lot worse. Perhaps you forgot your entire torso getting rocked skyward by a UAC-20 in MW3, or large lasers actually pushing your torso around in MW4?
==============================================================================================
The jarring and shaking yes from weapons fire that's fine in MWO but the older PC MechWarrior games had like 50% less damage animation blinding your cockpit view

Edited by KahnWongFuChung, 19 January 2016 - 08:56 AM.

#11 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

Pro tips:

If you are envelloped in ballistics or missile explosions or can't see your target through the smoke. Press H or N. Heat vision and night vision (depending on the map) can aid your sight in these situations (sometimes).

Try turning down "particles" in your vfx settings. This will make PPC's and missiles look really dull but will also clear a lot of sparks and explosions caused by them hitting you.

Still not satisfied?

Put graphic settings to lowest on all options. It looks awful but hey, you have to give up something.

Edited by DjPush, 19 January 2016 - 10:47 AM.

#12 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

View PostKahnWongFuChung, on 19 January 2016 - 07:22 AM, said:

I think most players like the maps and terrain fine what I think they don't like is all the weapons damage animations which should be toned down by 50%.. or more.

The overall weapons damage animation is so overkill how can you even play the game when your whole screen is constantly filled with all this damage animation? I would like to see PGI reduce overall weapons damage animation by 50% o more so it would be more like the older PC MechWarrior games..

1. Get shot less

2. Screen shake and the flashes don't change where your weapon fire goes so ignore it, don't panic, and keep shooting.

#13 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,685 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

Turn down eyecandy again? No.

#14 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:53 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 19 January 2016 - 10:48 AM, said:

1. Get shot less

2. Screen shake and the flashes don't change where your weapon fire goes so ignore it, don't panic, and keep shooting.

There are plenty of scenarios when you are brawling and you have a torso exposed and you need to focus fire on that specific spot, however you start getting LRM fire and you literally cannot see the target and when you do fire you have the equivalent of JJ shake to your reticle so you cannot accurate fire at that torso. This is the actual problem. Its been effing ridiculous for a long time and the devs needs to fix this crap.

The Earthquake simulator ride is getting really really really really really really really really really really really really really really OLD.

At the very least if the Devs won't to put in the expolosions to effectively blind you, give you the player the options to turn ALL PARTICLES OFF. Put that basic option in. Fine if they want to be {PGI Development Star AKA Dickks - Remove the censor Forum, its getting effing old} and give you reticle shake from being pegged with LRM 5's, I can deal with that, what I can't deal with is being effectively blinded by that ****.

Edited by Rhent, 19 January 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#15 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,685 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

View PostRhent, on 19 January 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

There are plenty of scenarios when you are brawling and you have a torso exposed and you need to focus fire on that specific spot, however you start getting LRM fire and you literally cannot see the target and when you do fire you have the equivalent of JJ shake to your reticle so you cannot accurate fire at that torso. This is the actual problem. Its been effing ridiculous for a long time and the devs needs to fix this crap.

The Earthquake simulator ride is getting really really really really really really really really really really really really really really OLD.

At the very least if the Devs won't to put in the expolosions to effectively blind you, give you the player the options to turn ALL PARTICLES OFF. Put that basic option in. Fine if they want to be {PGI Development Star AKA Dickks - Remove the censor Forum, its getting effing old} and give you reticle shake from being pegged with LRM 5's, I can deal with that, what I can't deal with is being effectively blinded by that ****.

View PostFlash Frame, on 19 January 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

Want the "missile shake" toned down... take the Advanced Gyro module. That's literally what it's there for.

#16 Felbombling

• 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:58 AM

I'm all for weapon effects only showing in cockpit for Center Torso or Cockpit hits. Seems missiles can hit you in the leg and your cockpit viewport is obscured by smoke and flashes.

#17 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:00 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 19 January 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

If you actually read what I wrote, I said I can deal with the shake, what I can't deal with is being effectively blinded by particle crap. I want the Devs to put in an option to turn all particles off. Why should I have to play on low settings on a high end gaming rig, to deal with the Devs extremely piss poor design "ideas"? When you are blinded and shook you can't aim effectively. Is that Atlas in the red box facing you and you know to shoot out the exposed torso OR is the Atlas torso turned the other way so if you do fire, you won't hit the open shot? The shake is a minor issue at brawl range (its a major issue at sniping range, you simply have to pull back and get out of it because a minor reticle shake leads to major trajectory changes at far distances), the blind is the main problem when brawling.

#18 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

I have never once had an issue like you described other then my first few weeks in the game....

Depdning on where the mech is can tell alot about AC's before you even fight them.

Are they trying to get close? Mauler or Crab with Dakka? This will be AC20, 10 or boated 5's and unless you have as much or more fire power as well as similar armor levels you wont do well.

Got someone pegging you from 650 meter plus? Dont worry, its just an AC2 troll. He is ONLY doing 2 dmg per shell and you just have to calm down and back away into cover. They dont do well inside range so close the distance and light him up.

As far as LRMs go, If they are fired at you over 600 meters and you have Radar Derp you can move away from them, loose lock and dodge the missiles before they even hit you. Inside 600 meters, well you see there is this things called COVER. Most people dont use for a number of reason but being aware of the situation and you surroundings literally cuts LRMS out of the game. Just keep something tall in between you and LRM boats and its game over for them.

Not saying this is you, but this sounds like a complaint from a guy i used to run with and basically he NEVER torso twisted so people just constantly shot his face and cockpit. I mean that where i shoot 90% of the time on a fresh mech. Shoot em in the face and scare em a little pit.

Edited by DarthRevis, 19 January 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#19 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:26 PM

Anybody else remember back in closed beta when you painted a laser across an opponents mech and it left a red glowing scar that slowly cooled down?

Now it's all "one bajillion pock-marks" kinda damage. Sure miss those old damage animations.

#20 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:34 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 19 January 2016 - 01:26 PM, said:

Anybody else remember back in closed beta when you painted a laser across an opponents mech and it left a red glowing scar that slowly cooled down?

Now it's all "one bajillion pock-marks" kinda damage. Sure miss those old damage animations.

The "pock-marks" are lame and actually dont make sense, Lasers Ablate material and literally turn solids into gas. There would be no POCK MARKS on metal because you are not heating it up like a kiln does. Its not becoming molten its being vaporized into air.

And AC's wouldn't leave melted pock marks either, they would take chunks off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users