329 replies to this topic

#21 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:09 AM

The Streakcrow is a 1-trick pony----how much more "balanced" could it get?

Great against 'mechs 35 tons and under.....OK against 40-50 tonners....useless on anything above that.

#22 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:12 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 07 April 2015 - 06:59 AM, said:

bap or not, lock time is huge enough to shoot and disappear. 2 Alphas and you are dead? you are truly doing something wrong, because you are not dead after two alphas. Just try this frontally on the commando in the testing ground, and hey this commando isn't even moving.

you can be glad your Jenner isn't facing competent srm builds they will scare you a lot more than streak builds.

2 Alphas and any light is dead in the water if all missiles hit which most of the time they do, that's 120 points done to armor. NO light will survive that in the event you are not legged one graze and your toast. Quite frankly I do not hang around to fight a streak crow or any streak boat for that matter.

Lock time does matter, I am the king of shoot and scoot, 1 shot and I am gone. However without ECM coverage lock times are quick, because acquisition is FUBAR'ed in this game in that you do not have to hold the reticule on the target Same with LRM's. Frankly I much rather face an SRM boat than a streak, at least the SRM's I can dodge and my agility helps, with streaks it simply does not.

I am not saying that they are OP, I am merely saying that against lights they are the bane of existence and completely negates the only defense we have.

Edited by Darian DelFord, 07 April 2015 - 07:13 AM.

#23 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:13 AM

The OP is at fault. Getting owned by streakcrows on Tourmaline means he was out of position or didn't think before committing.

#24 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:17 AM

View PostRhent, on 07 April 2015 - 07:01 AM, said:

Massed streaks are a hard counter to light mechs...

They're not. The most popular lights can tank a couple salvos when fresh, and even with modest damage can tank a huge salvo of Streaks.

#25 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:18 AM

I will preface this post by stating I do not boat any weapon type and am not defending them. Anybody crying about no skill lock-on missles better not have arty/ air strike in their consumable slots. These are the true skill-less OP weapon of MWO.

#26 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:18 AM

View PostXtremWarrior, on 07 April 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

Player asking for a build nerf should be asked forced to play 50 games in the said build first. Then they could see how OP or not it truly is before starting threads... Just sayin...

FTFY ;)

#27 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:19 AM

So there's these great items we call ECM and AMS...

#28 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:22 AM

I'm almost certain I've seen this OP somewhere else.

Methinks he's reposting an old topic to reopen a complaint.

If I recall correctly, back then I said something like this:

"Learn to use ECM and stick with the group (especially if you choose not to use ECM)! Streak Crows are scary solo, but are pretty useless if you use the buddy system!"

Seriously, they may have good range and solid hits, but the hits are random and the recharge time is rather long. An SRM Mech can solo a Streak Crow no sweat if the pilot knows what he's doing.

Streak Crows are basically a flashy, powerful glass cannon. If you find yourself getting killed by them too frequently, then you need to reexamine your personal strategies and tactics. They really aren't that hard to fight if you think before you act.

Above all though, remember the cardinal rule of MechWarrior Online: Use the Buddy System!

Posted Image

View PostRyokens leap, on 07 April 2015 - 07:18 AM, said:

I will preface this post by stating I do not boat any weapon type and am not defending them. Anybody crying about no skill lock-on missles better not have arty/ air strike in their consumable slots. These are the true skill-less OP weapon of MWO.

Strikes may be skill-less, but they're hardly OP now. They're only OP if you don't know what you're doing. :)

#29 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:23 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 07 April 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

2 Alphas and any light is dead in the water if all missiles hit which most of the time they do, that's 120 points done to armor. NO light will survive...

36 Streaks (6xSSRM6 from a Mad Dog) randomly over 7 hit locations is 5-6 missiles per hit location, that's 10-12 damage. There's a good chance that 2 salvos of that won't even do internal damage to a fresh Firestarter.

#30 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:29 AM

Streaks have a hard time hitting targets unless said target is like on the same plane as you and there is nothing close to the target. any kind of elvation change they often just slam into the ground trying to track the target.

View PostEscef, on 07 April 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

36 Streaks (6xSSRM6 from a Mad Dog) randomly over 7 hit locations is 5-6 missiles per hit location, that's 10-12 damage. There's a good chance that 2 salvos of that won't even do internal damage to a fresh Firestarter.

anything VS a FS doing damage is another issue all together.

#31 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:32 AM

Not interested in seeing them go but I will say that ECM has never stopped me from getting streaked. I always know when it is coming and unless you are in a tight group of mechs all with double AMS, you are going to be hurting.

They do allow average players to get impressive scores though, so that's cool, but not really my style.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 07 April 2015 - 07:32 AM.

#32 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:34 AM

View PostEscef, on 07 April 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

You are assuming that PGI's RNG will allocate an even number of missiles across an even number of components. I think realistically we all know this does not happen.

Your also assuming fresh mechs. This is also not usually the case while not beat up, even a slightly damage light will be in trouble. Your also assuming this is a fire starter problem, it is not, it is a light chassis issue. The issue is the RNG is not so random most of the time.

#33 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:38 AM

View PostEscef, on 07 April 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

They're not. The most popular lights can tank a couple salvos when fresh, and even with modest damage can tank a huge salvo of Streaks.

Take a FSH vs a Streakcrow, Streakcrow wins the vast majority of the time. You would need to have a poor streakcrow pilot vs an elite FSH pilot for the FSH to stand a chance at winning.

#34 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:38 AM

Best way to deal with Streak crows?

http://www.sarna.net...nge_Large_Laser

Take one, and put it into one of these:

PIRATES' BANE
LCT-1V
RVN-3L
STK-4N
WHK-PRIME

Take your pick, all of them have an optimal range of roughly double of the Streakcrow, so you can dictate the engagement point.

#35 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:44 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 07 April 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

MWLL definitely had the best streaks, I would really like MWO to take after them.

I remember testing out as a warrior with SJ and using a MadCat Mk. II for the assault portion of the trial. I think it was 2 UAC20 and 2 SSRM 6. The funny thing is, I can't remember how they worked in MW: LL.

How did streaks work differently there?

#36 Marodeur

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBraunschweig, Germany

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:55 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 07 April 2015 - 06:20 AM, said:

wait 4 gauss do actually get shot down by AMS? get protected by ECM? can be spread across your mech? No wait they can't.

So basically what Fup said, because the worst ou can do from streaks is to "twist in" in a light mech sicne then everything tends to hit your arm and ST on the way to your components. Face the streaks frontally, so they can spread themselves and they turn into a rather pointless way to destroy a mech.

They always give my light mechs nearly pin point damage and I can't do **** about it. Your torso twist theory doesn't work for them, at least I was never able to spread damage with torso twist in case of streaks... and I am not a bad player I think. Streaks shouldn't do pin point! if they would spread across the whole mech like lrm's do, the problem would be gone. But atm if you see a streak crow in a light, you get instanly cored, leged or if you are lucky just loose one arm with the first shot. And running away is not easy when the crow runs 109 kph. Only possibility is to stay away from them in a light. Against a bigger mech (heavy/assault) it is ok, because the cool down of streaks with 6 secs is really long.

#37 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:02 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 07 April 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

You are assuming that PGI's RNG will allocate an even number of missiles across an even number of components. I think realistically we all know this does not happen.

Realistically, no, it won't be even all the time. But dealing with averages is the best way to go, unless you should happen to have hundreds of documented instances lingering about for analysis.

Your also assuming fresh mechs. This is also not usually the case while not beat up, even a slightly damage light will be in trouble. Your also assuming this is a fire starter problem, it is not, it is a light chassis issue.

Yes, it is assuming fresh mechs. Is there some level of damage you would prefer to assume?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...988c9bb3b8a7595

There, there's a sample FS9. Even at 50% armor, there's a decent chance that 2 salvos of 36 Streaks will not remove limbs. And even if it does remove a limb, it won't be a leg.

And I am NOT assuming it is a Firestarter problem. That's you putting words in my mouth. I use the Firestarter as an example because it (at least to me) appears to be the most popular light mech at the moment.

The issue is the RNG is not so random most of the time.

Random means random, it does not mean evenly spread. Note also that it is randomly targeted, not necessarily randomly landed. From the side, for example, all of the missiles targeting an FS9's torsos and far arm will likely plow into the near arm, and the near leg will likely take the missiles that were targeting the far leg. And on that note, light mech pilots, you are best off facing into the swarm of streaks if you think you have to tank them.

View PostRhent, on 07 April 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

Take a FSH vs a Streakcrow, Streakcrow wins the vast majority of the time. You would need to have a poor streakcrow pilot vs an elite FSH pilot for the FSH to stand a chance at winning.

That's because the most popular FS9 build is the FS9-A with 8 SPLs, which have a post-quirk max range of 236 just over 250 meters, which is well inside of the range of even Inner Sphere Streaks. Just 1 medium laser would enable an FS9 to engage StreakCrow builds from outside maximum Streak range.

Edited by Escef, 07 April 2015 - 09:40 AM.

#38 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:09 AM

View PostRhent, on 07 April 2015 - 08:03 AM, said:

You are too detached from reality to take remotely serious.

That's a heavily damaged Jenner tanking a full spread of 36 Streaks, before getting downed by a second spread that he could have avoided if he was more on top of his evasive maneuvers. I assume by "too detached from reality" you mean "averse to the myth of Streaks being insta-gibs against lights".

#39 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:14 AM

There is a reason lightweight compdecks are often full of streaks.

Said reason is neither that compplayers can't aim, nor that streaks suck and they use them for the giggles.

See min. 46 in this video for a good example of EmP totally obliterating 228 with streakscrows.

#40 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:16 AM

View PostEscef, on 07 April 2015 - 08:09 AM, said:

That's a heavily damaged Jenner tanking a full spread of 36 Streaks, before getting downed by a second spread that he could have avoided if he was more on top of his evasive maneuvers. I assume by "too detached from reality" you mean "averse to the myth of Streaks being insta-gibs against lights".

By detached from reality, it means you like streaks and are going to get on your soapbox and defend them much like how people defended:
-4 PPC 6 PPC stalkers
-Splat Cats
-Streak Cats
-Jumptarts

I made a statement of fact you don't like:
Streaks are a hard counter to Lights

Why did I make that statement? I pilot streaks and I also pilot lights. I'm very familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the mechs that I play. The only light mech that is a hard counter to a Streak carrying mech are lights running long range weaponry, which tend to ERLL using lights, which eat up a Streak carrying mech.

Streak carrying mechs are only of worth against lights and mediums, after that they are shear garbage. Mostly nubes run streak mechs to deal with Light infestations. When HSR was an issue, I ran streak mechs to deal with newbs using the lag shield for their lights for the LOL's.

Even a light mech running ERLL can be easily dealt with in a streak carrying mech, all the pilot has to do is pick the terrain that forces the light to get within 200M of range to fire AND have Seismic and the mech waits. For every volley the light mech gets off, he will be taking a volley of Streaks. In the grand scheme of things, either the light mech stays away and lives or he fights and dies.

Again dude, get off the delusion train and get back to reality. Talking with you is like talking to a child.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users