329 replies to this topic

#261 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:25 AM

I use my Streakcrow to make tons of C-bills because it is "the" c-bill maker currently. High damage values, you destroy many components and you do the most damage on most targets. Also, you are fast as hell and can chase even lights semi-effectively.

But I wouldn't call OP. It's damn easy to play, yes, but you can't deal the killing blow without the blessing of lady luck because we know that this lady is a b*tch. Open CT on a Banshee? Yep, 5-6 direct alphas might do it. A medium with open ST? Ok, let me destroy your arms and legs first. It's the smartpistol of MWO, while beeing less deadly. The Streakcrow is a low weight killer and has it's place in this game.

Lights should know when and where to engage. As a light pilot I avoid SSRMs effortless. And having mastered almost every light I kinda know what I'm talking about. I've seen so many Firestarters who try to engage me straight on in a 1on1 battle only to bite the dust and then QQ on the chat of how OP the Streakcrow just like the 4 year old who crys because his stone got beaten by paper... pathetic if I think about the avarage age of our playerbase.

Yes, Locust might have problems but then again, you knew what you signed up for.

#262 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:02 AM

View PostKuritaclan, on 16 April 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

well 942 damage 1 kill pretty unimpressiv and out of ammo at the end (btw the number i typ is incorrect i started with 600 SSRMs)

What a thing to say. "Nearly 1000 damage, how lame!" You do realize that other builds and mechs have to work to consistently get those kind of numbers, right? You managed to do that in a Streakcrow despite wasting two full alphas outside of max range and consistently hitting terrain due to your mech placement.

Is the damage spread all over? Yup. But does it effectively put the fear of god into light mechs and make them more cautious. Yup.

Let's see you consistently put up equivalent numbers in another mech with the same amount of equivalent ease.

Just because it's a "niche mech" (and it IS) doesn't mean it can be discounted. You use the right tool for the job. This tool does it's job fantastically.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 16 April 2015 - 11:12 AM.

#263 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:14 PM

View PostGhost Badger, on 16 April 2015 - 11:02 AM, said:

What a thing to say. "Nearly 1000 damage, how lame!" You do realize that other builds and mechs have to work to consistently get those kind of numbers, right? You managed to do that in a Streakcrow despite wasting two full alphas outside of max range and consistently hitting terrain due to your mech placement.

Is the damage spread all over? Yup. But does it effectively put the fear of god into light mechs and make them more cautious. Yup.

Let's see you consistently put up equivalent numbers in another mech with the same amount of equivalent ease.

Just because it's a "niche mech" (and it IS) doesn't mean it can be discounted. You use the right tool for the job. This tool does it's job fantastically.

Exactly, but the point I think many are missing here is this point:

The Streak crow is a 3/8" wrench, mechs around 20-40 tons are a 3/8" bolt.

Anything else in MWO is not a 3/8" bolt.

You would not use a wrench to tighten a flat head screw.

#264 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:18 PM

With that 1000 damage, how many kills? I consider 1000 damage, and 1-3 kills, as being sloppy and bad at this game. I would rather have 200-700 damage, and 2-5 kills... since it means I'm being effective with that damage.

#265 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:21 PM

Laser vomit?

AC5 boats?

All are pretty easy 1k damage robots. Very nice synergy.

#266 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:23 PM

View PostGyrok, on 16 April 2015 - 12:14 PM, said:

This is true. And I don't chase locusts in a King Crab, either.

It doesn't have to be a multi-tool to be useful.

View PostMcgral18, on 16 April 2015 - 12:21 PM, said:

Laser vomit?

AC5 boats?

All are pretty easy 1k damage robots. Very nice synergy.

Not saying it's the end-all be all...and I was specifically asking him. Watching the way that Crow was handled...yeah...anyway. Plenty of mechs CAN...doing so in a Streak crow is just...easier. Not more efficient. But easier.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 16 April 2015 - 12:24 PM.

#267 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:01 PM

View PostGyrok, on 16 April 2015 - 12:14 PM, said:

I shot the right arm off a Wolverine-6k with my streak crow once. Does that mean 55 tonners are 9 mm bolts?

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 16 April 2015 - 01:01 PM.

#268 Gyrok

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:09 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 April 2015 - 01:01 PM, said:

I shot the right arm off a Wolverine-6k with my streak crow once. Does that mean 55 tonners are 9 mm bolts?

LOL...

:rolleyes:

#269 Kuritaclan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:21 PM

1.) of i'm not a pro pilot - i concider myself above average,
2.) secondly as you say i wasted ammo and it was nearly 1k damage - the damage potential of this mech with 600 ammo is 1200k - so it was a 78,5 efficiency quota
3.) putting out high numbers don't mean anything - the blackjack as the goldenboy were cored and easly to pick of / the intermezzo with the 1st direwolf was a mess, i was long time in his back, also a good opportunity to make a rather easy kill, the second was cored also not happy to see and can't do anything against, the raven (delta) i couldn't atk since range was to far away - so it took me a minute to underrun his position or he would have made more of his sneaky damage also not idealy - the jm was an xl (one of the moments you really hate to be in a ssrm boat)
4.) i hate running out of ammo with no backup weapons
5.) the teammates won this game beside that it looks like i did the most value since the damagenumbers are high, but it isn't

Streakcrows work - with a lucky punch you get kills - but the spread is on every bodypart of a mech, so you can not go for the kill, what would and had could saved many lives. You make high damagenumbers but they are on everything than on lights not much worth. Armor shreddin is nice, but i rather take the opportunity to be the boss of my failed shots, than seeing missles flow in terrain.

I think i do consistently enough in all my mechs (maybee not so much lights). However a Streakcrow is incosistent since it is teamdependend and have situational value.

View PostMetus regem, on 16 April 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

With that 1000 damage, how many kills? I consider 1000 damage, and 1-3 kills, as being sloppy and bad at this game. I would rather have 200-700 damage, and 2-5 kills... since it means I'm being effective with that damage.

I see it the same way - and i posted the clip of my other crow, not this e-penis damage score nor a win, but a better game since i controlled the calldera, and despite the fact of the failed uav on start, that i overchased the stalker and the bad heat managment, but over all it was more value to me, not because of the kills, but because i played aktiv.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 16 April 2015 - 02:47 PM.

#270 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

I'm sure someone covered most or all of these but the counters to streaks -
Staying outside their range
Radar Dep module
Moving in/out/in from cover
Killing the crow - preferably from outside its range
Taking the damage and killing the crow - or removing its weapons/ammo
Ecm, but its really not even necessary.

The number one way to counter streak crows is to stop light rushing. As soon as you do that those mechs are 90% useless.

#271 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:41 PM

View Postsycocys, on 16 April 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

I'm sure someone covered most or all of these but the counters to streaks -
Staying outside their range
Radar Dep module
Moving in/out/in from cover
Killing the crow - preferably from outside its range
Taking the damage and killing the crow - or removing its weapons/ammo
Ecm, but its really not even necessary.

The number one way to counter streak crows is to stop light rushing. As soon as you do that those mechs are 90% useless.

Light rushing is a CW thing lights in public matches aren't light rushing.

I don't really care about streakcrows other than they are EZ mode, but 400m is serious range to stay out of. What if you have pitiful IS medium lasers and an AC20 that can't trade at Clan streak range??? lol

#272 Kuritaclan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 April 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

I don't really care about streakcrows other than they are EZ mode, but 400m is serious range to stay out of. What if you have pitiful IS medium lasers and an AC20 that can't trade at Clan streak range??? lol

well in this case it doesn't help anyway - you will sit in such a poke situation behind a cover and w8 for your team to push or get pushed, like you need to do with the crow. And this i do not concider playing, it is a boring style to achive something.

#273 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:55 PM

You can absolutely bounce in/out of cover and completely wreck streakcrows with your medium with ML, amazingly enough it works even better with lights that can change cover locations more quickly.

And just about every solo drop I do at least 2 of the lights pilots is dumb enough to rush straight into their lines well before the rest of the team has gotten any sense of formation or gathering going on. Still a light rush, just a more reckless and stupid version - don't do that and you have all sorts of firepower behind you to contend with streakcrows.

#274 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:07 PM

Complain some more. I've used that build. On good matches, sure, I get 500-600 damage. On a bad match? <100.

It's a medium mech. It's got a low cockpit that often leaves you exposed if you don't know what your doing. The streaks do always hit, but they generate asstons of heat even if chainfired, and they have an absurdly long reload time. The missles spread out so that if you fire an S-SRM-6, all missles tend to hit a different component, spreading damage well. If the enemy has ECM, you are completely ******* useless. Sure, you can add BAP, but that doesn't help if they have two, or if you're further away. If you use the streakcrow, no backup weapons. The hardpoints dont allow it. It's got decent armor for a 55 tonner, but you'll get screwed over if you try to rambo.

They aren't OP. End of story. Powerful in some situations, yes, but not OP.

#275 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostKuritaclan, on 16 April 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

well in this case it doesn't help anyway - you will sit in such a poke situation behind a cover and w8 for your team to push or get pushed, like you need to do with the crow. And this i do not concider playing, it is a boring style to achive something.

View Postsycocys, on 16 April 2015 - 02:55 PM, said:

You can absolutely bounce in/out of cover and completely wreck streakcrows with your medium with ML, amazingly enough it works even better with lights that can change cover locations more quickly.

And just about every solo drop I do at least 2 of the lights pilots is dumb enough to rush straight into their lines well before the rest of the team has gotten any sense of formation or gathering going on. Still a light rush, just a more reckless and stupid version - don't do that and you have all sorts of firepower behind you to contend with streakcrows.

I know, I know, but Medium lasers don't do full damage at 400m, they only do like 3.3-3.4 ish per laser, and if you are popping in and out of cover you are asking to be dual gaussed... I like Kuritaclan's solution more, it is much safer, albeit a little boring until your team decides to push. Of course if you are pugging and the MM decides to put 3 assaults on your team that are all LRM boats then you are screwed. (Please don't drop in LRM boat assaults people, it wastes the slot! If you HAVE to use lrms, use a medium or if you must, a heavy)

#276 Gyrok

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:36 PM

IS AC20 + 10% ballistic range quirk + 10% range module = 324m range

IS ML + 10% range + 10% range module = 324m range

both are quite effective at 400m

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 April 2015 - 03:19 PM, said:

I know, I know, but Medium lasers don't do full damage at 400m, they only do like 3.3-3.4 ish per laser, and if you are popping in and out of cover you are asking to be dual gaussed... I like Kuritaclan's solution more, it is much safer, albeit a little boring until your team decides to push. Of course if you are pugging and the MM decides to put 3 assaults on your team that are all LRM boats then you are screwed. (Please don't drop in LRM boat assaults people, it wastes the slot! If you HAVE to use lrms, use a medium or if you must, a heavy)

The ADR can run LRM30 + 2 ERML + 7 tons ammo.

be a legit light LRM boat.

#277 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:49 PM

1) Clan Streak SRM 6 take a long time to reload, often meaning they have no chance to fight back in that said time to reload, bad when you are versing more then one enemy or a larger foe.

2) Clan Streaks in general have a slower movement speed meaning a IS mech with AMS can take quite a bit out

3) Clan Streaks has ghost heat so this 60 damage alpha is the same as me complaining about a 6 PPC stalker or so.

4) Streak in general spread A LOT, even though it's 60 damage from 30 SSRM missiles, it'll be most likely that 5 SSRM missiles hit the ground/ wall. 5 will hit the left and right legs, 5 will hit the left and right arms, 5 will hit the CT, 5 will hit the Left and right torso, and 5 is gone with AMS.

Unless you are a locust or a light mech this is barely but a tickle.

5) the range bonus doesn't mean much, This means an enemy mech is outside of your BAP and thus if they got ecm you're screwed.

I think this thing is balanced enough if you made a comp mech like the STORMCROW peform just as good as a mech on the bottom of the food chain like a NOVA. You have more reason to cry 12 er small lasers is OP over a 5 SSRM 6 stormcrow.

Also hoooooow will you make more people take ECM ? that's just a variable you can't controll UNLESS you set up 3 lances to have 3 locust Pirate banes / commanbos/ ravens / spiders. 3 cicadas, 3 lokis, 3 atlas ddc's.

Also muddy trenches? would be cool to have something like that in general. Buuuuuuuut if this is from SSRM cover specificly lol... even a car on Crimson straight is enough cover to block some SSRM's. let alone the shallow tips, small buildings, walls, etc.

Also for your first point: Lore makes this game very fun. ,More lore is needed. (Also more weapons in timeline.... Please give me the arrow thunder artillery.... blazer... Flares... inferno and /or explosive LRM ammo... Caseless ammo.. etc)

#278 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:54 PM

View PostGyrok, on 16 April 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

IS ML + 10% range + 10% range module = 324m range

So you would put money on a light with medium lasers out trading a streak crow past the ML optimum range but within 400m? If I saw a streak crow I would wait for my team to engage. Not going toe-to-toe with that thing lol.

#279 Gyrok

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 April 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

So you would put money on a light with medium lasers out trading a streak crow past the ML optimum range but within 400m? If I saw a streak crow I would wait for my team to engage. Not going toe-to-toe with that thing lol.

I would not go toe to toe unless forced, but kite a streak crow from 400m? Sure...what is he going to do? Beg me to slow down?

I have seen 171 kph TDKs kite a streakcrow like dragging a dog on a leash, saw 3LL cicadas do it numerous times, they were only going about 130-135kph, and a ERLL 3L raven? LOL...yeah...come at me from 700m.

As for FS9, best to get into 2 on 1 there, should not be hard with them being as wildly popular as they are.

#280 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:16 PM

View PostGyrok, on 16 April 2015 - 04:04 PM, said:

I would not go toe to toe unless forced, but kite a streak crow from 400m? Sure...what is he going to do? Beg me to slow down?

I have seen 171 kph TDKs kite a streakcrow like dragging a dog on a leash, saw 3LL cicadas do it numerous times, they were only going about 130-135kph, and a ERLL 3L raven? LOL...yeah...come at me from 700m.

As for FS9, best to get into 2 on 1 there, should not be hard with them being as wildly popular as they are.

Sure, but you aren't gonna be biting back very hard unless you have the 3 LL cicada or ER LL raven.

Unfortunately, that only works if its only you and the stormcrow. Im sure the Crow's buddies would be more than happy to see a light or medium running out in the open.

Whatever, like I said, I'm not in the streakcrow OP crowd. If you are in a light mech with close range weapons you are at a severe disadvantage (like there is no way you are going to win unless the crow has taken heavy damage already) but this issue doesn't touch me that much because I'm more than happy to bring a Dire Wolf or Timber Wolf in the public queue (read: I don't play lights very much so I haven't been jacked up by streakcrows very often, just seen and heard it being done). Soo much fun those mechs are.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 16 April 2015 - 04:17 PM.

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users