• The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

View Postpattonesque, on 07 April 2015 - 10:12 AM, said:

sounds like you're not twisting well enough

also they actually had to aim those alphas in order to hit you

also "adapt"

nova hitboxes don't allow twisting that is sometoing you would know if you ant to easily destroy a nova, every section si huge, the only way of a nova pilot is to be patient and stay hidden for save approaches.

#82 Ragnahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts
  • LocationAce in RVN-3L, HBK-4P, CDA-2A, AS7-S, BNC-3M, Won Top Dog Tourny.. Those are my bests

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:40 PM

From what I'm seeing stormcrows typically score higher than 500 points easily. I have watched some of my friends, watched their aim to know that they are not that accurate and don't score that high (200 points on average with maybe 1-2 kills). Right after that same pilot is put into the stormcrow they score 500 with 5 kills. There is a point where I have to sympathize with whiners. Nobody likes stormcrows other than the stormcrow pilots. The only reason the timber doesn't make me angry is because they walk slow enough to counter with well placed shots. Their hitboxes are also much larger. As a con yes timbers turn fast as hell but at least its bearable.

Edited by F8Sealed, 07 April 2015 - 03:44 PM.

#83 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:00 PM

OMG it's the streakboat boogeyman

sorry but they're not that bad

AMS helps as well

#84 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:05 PM

What I think is hilarious is that apparently someone from here decided to go to the YouTube upload I posted of the Commando in the Training Grounds and tried to troll me. Kind of sad, really.

#85 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:26 PM

View PostEscef, on 07 April 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

36 Streaks (6xSSRM6 from a Mad Dog) randomly over 7 hit locations is 5-6 missiles per hit location, that's 10-12 damage. There's a good chance that 2 salvos of that won't even do internal damage to a fresh Firestarter.

What will do internal damage to fresh firestarter? :P

#86 Vocis

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:30 PM

Streaks are fine as long as you like No-Skill weaponry being the most effective thing against certain classes of mechs.

Yeah, a Boom-Cat or Boom-Jagger(2xAC/20) will wreck a light faster. The difference is the AC/20s take skill to use. Streaks don't.

Weapons with an extremely low skill floor are perfectly fine to have in a video game. As long as they are balanced accordingly. They should be things that new players can easily use while they are learning other areas of the game.

#87 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:35 PM

View PostBurktross, on 07 April 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

What will do internal damage to fresh firestarter? :P

3 PPCs, 4 or 5 MPL, or 3 LPL if you get a clean shot, Inner Sphere or Clan tech. Twin IS-AC20 or Gauss will do it, too, but that's almost twice the tonnage of a Streak array regardless of tech base.

#88 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:36 PM

Streakcrows are a hard counter to lights, but not a 1-2 shot. It takes a good 3-4 salvos depending on RNJesus as to how fast they go down.

Can you rack up 500 damage? You most certainly will, and spread it all over everything you shoot at with the "bone" mechanic. As for 5 kills...maybe if you hid until the last 5 guys were stripped of all armor, that or you played when the queue was full of trashcans...

#89 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:50 PM

View PostGyrok, on 07 April 2015 - 05:36 PM, said:

Streakcrows are a hard counter to lights, but not a 1-2 shot. It takes a good 3-4 salvos depending on RNJesus as to how fast they go down.

Can you rack up 500 damage? You most certainly will, and spread it all over everything you shoot at with the "bone" mechanic. As for 5 kills...maybe if you hid until the last 5 guys were stripped of all armor, that or you played when the queue was full of trashcans...

I wouldn't even call them a hard counter. Soft counter, sure, but not a hard counter. That aside, I fully agree with every other point you made here.

Edited by Escef, 07 April 2015 - 05:50 PM.

#90 Marodeur

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBraunschweig, Germany

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:49 AM

View PostEscef, on 07 April 2015 - 08:09 AM, said:

That's a heavily damaged Jenner tanking a full spread of 36 Streaks, before getting downed by a second spread that he could have avoided if he was more on top of his evasive maneuvers. I assume by "too detached from reality" you mean "averse to the myth of Streaks being insta-gibs against lights".

Ha,
thats a good example for what I said in my last post. But honastly is see that the dmg spread is bigger than I expected. But because of the pure amount of damage it is still like an instant death for lights, if you are unlucky. Streaks still do heavy pin point damage with the smaller part beeing spread. let us say the jenner had like 18 ct (8 back armor 36/2 front front armor left because he is orange in ct) plus the 22 internal structure hit points it is like 39 hit points left. he got one hit and is cherry red in ct, so 1 or 2 hp left. So 37 damage on one spot is more than the halfe (0.514 % from 72 possible damage) that is going to one spot. And in my experince it can be even more. By the way the ssrm's should have hit him from the back I think (equals instant dead). So he was lucky this time. But because of so many broken hit boxes on so many mechs, it is also very random where you got hit, what makes a controlled torso twist for taking the hit even worse.

#91 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:13 AM

View PostMalleus011, on 07 April 2015 - 06:23 AM, said:

In lore, Streaks are no more accurate than other SRMs. That aspect is all PGI.

Err wut?

Streaks were always a 100% hit weapon.

You rolled to hit before the gun fired if you "missed" the shot didn't count. Every shot that you actually fired was guaranteed to hit the target

Edited by HlynkaCG, 10 April 2015 - 01:37 AM.

#92 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:18 AM

Are Streakcrows OP? No.

Do I still hate them? Yes.

So when i get killed by one, i mount on one of my assaults/heavies and go streakcrow hunting. Problem solved.

#93 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:18 AM

View PostVocis, on 07 April 2015 - 05:30 PM, said:

Streaks are fine as long as you like No-Skill weaponry being the most effective thing against certain classes of mechs.

Yeah, a Boom-Cat or Boom-Jagger(2xAC/20) will wreck a light faster. The difference is the AC/20s take skill to use. Streaks don't.

Weapons with an extremely low skill floor are perfectly fine to have in a video game. As long as they are balanced accordingly. They should be things that new players can easily use while they are learning other areas of the game.

AC/20s could also suffer more from hit-reg than streaks do, regardless of skill (streaks suffer from hit reg too, but at least most of the damage gets there)

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 10 April 2015 - 01:19 AM.

#94 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:15 AM

View PostF8Sealed, on 07 April 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

I've tried to counter it, I've shutdown my mech. They can still get a lock. I have run around corners hoping that some of the missiles would hit the terrain but there is no way in hell you can avoid those things. I've even climbed one of the pillars on tourmaline to try and ninja the little craps, only to be sniped by the god srms from 300+ meters in the air.

You haven't tried hard enough. Or better said, you're thinking along older/non-effective lines. The methods you are deploying are outdated.

View PostF8Sealed, on 07 April 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

There's always a countermeasure.

Indeed there is. Read the following below:

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 April 2015 - 07:32 AM, said:

I always know when it is coming and unless you are in a tight group of mechs all with double AMS, you are going to be hurting.

This ^^. It has been the most effective method vs. Clan Streakboats. Not just one, but a group of them. You may still get some damage, but it's won't diminish your effectiveness to get to the intended goal(s).

View PostRhent, on 07 April 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

Take a FSH vs a Streakcrow, Streakcrow wins the vast majority of the time. You would need to have a poor streakcrow pilot vs an elite FSH pilot for the FSH to stand a chance at winning.

You've taken the wrong variant/loadout vs. the Streakboat.

View PostEscef, on 07 April 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

That's because the most popular FS9 build is the FS9-A with 8 SPLs, which have a post-quirk max range of 236 just over 250 meters, which is well inside of the range of even Inner Sphere Streaks. Just 1 medium laser would enable an FS9 to engage StreakCrow builds from outside maximum Streak range.

FS9-A IS indeed the most popular build because it is a monstrous brawling light (and odds are will be the most effective vs. a certain light Omni due to release soon). However, it is NOT the most effective light vs. streakboats. FS9-S sporting Med. Pulses and Dual AMS is. It's been proven over recently on numerous occasions.

#95 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:51 AM

Streaks really should work like they do in Living Legends, where they are just short range lock on missiles that will home onto a mech under your cursor, or you can hold the cursor longer for a solid lock similar to how they work now, no locking on indirectly, only mechs you can see visually, or mechs being tagged/narced.

#96 Haji1096

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 339 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:42 AM

Many times targeting information is not available to determine if an SCR is a Streak boat or not. This leads to any Stormcrow/Mad Dog shutting down my freedom of movement for initial stages of a match. I'm pretty much locked to staying within 200 m of my team. Streak boats should never be engaged by light mech bearing a traditional load out.

Some maps have blind corners, where you can't see if a Streak boat is around the corner. Some have said I should use a UAV to look around a blind corner. So I have to spend 40k just to maybe see oppostion load outs ? Some have said I should use seismic. Sadly, stopping is death for a light mech.

Lets call a spade a spade. Streaks are no skill weapons for players that can't hit lights with other direct fire weapons. They nerf the least played, most unforgiving class in the game. If they are to be kept in their current form I recommend the following changes:
  • Streak boats should give off a radar pulse that gives away their position every 20 s.
  • Give lights more agility
  • Give lights jump jets that actually increase my evasion instead of making me a huge target while I arc through the air towards my death.
  • Allow lights to use seismic module while in motion

#97 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:54 AM

What?
Radar pulses?
BUFF *lights* (as though they freaking need it)?
*Increase* evasive jump jet ability above the bunnyhopping lagshield that it already is???
Give all lights the ability to pay for permanently-on wallhacks?!?!

Dude, no, sit down, you're stupid and should feel bad.

Light mechs are OP - they are able to punch and take hits way, way above their tonnage - all while going up to fully 300% faster than other mechs in the game.

Light mechs do *not* deserve any buffing right now.

Clan streaks are simply *more* OP than the Lights are; it's high-damage-to-tonnage ratio that always hits (unless cover is in the way), reaches out to freaking 360m (more than MLs, wtf?), and doesn't have much in the way of ammo consumption or heat problems.

The Streak 6s definitely deserve a range nerf & alpha ghost-heat penalty.

But if you're going to use that as justification to suggest wildly one-sided, ridiculous buffs to light mechs, you are out of your darn mind.

Edited by Telmasa, 10 April 2015 - 06:54 AM.

#98 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:03 AM

View PostRhent, on 07 April 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

Take a FSH vs a Streakcrow, Streakcrow wins the vast majority of the time. You would need to have a poor streakcrow pilot vs an elite FSH pilot for the FSH to stand a chance at winning.

55t vs 35t and the bigger Mech has the best tool for dealing with fast little Mechs? A FS should lose 100% of the time, but Hit Reg is a thing. ;)

#99 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:10 AM

View PostTelmasa, on 10 April 2015 - 06:54 AM, said:

What?
Radar pulses?
BUFF *lights* (as though they freaking need it)?
*Increase* evasive jump jet ability above the bunnyhopping lagshield that it already is???
Give all lights the ability to pay for permanently-on wallhacks?!?!

Dude, no, sit down, you're stupid and should feel bad.

Light mechs are OP - they are able to punch and take hits way, way above their tonnage - all while going up to fully 300% faster than other mechs in the game.

Light mechs do *not* deserve any buffing right now.

Clan streaks are simply *more* OP than the Lights are; it's high-damage-to-tonnage ratio that always hits (unless cover is in the way), reaches out to freaking 360m (more than MLs, wtf?), and doesn't have much in the way of ammo consumption or heat problems.

The Streak 6s definitely deserve a range nerf & alpha ghost-heat penalty.

But if you're going to use that as justification to suggest wildly one-sided, ridiculous buffs to light mechs, you are out of your darn mind.

I don't agree with Haji's specific light mech buffs, but lights sure as hell aren't overpowered.

A competent player in a larger mech will generally have an advantage against them assuming all other factors are equal (i.e. similar piloting skill, neither person is outnumbered, both are in good health, etc.). You can't outrun guns, and when those guns are being fired by somebody who can keep a bead on fast targets, that lower armor is gonna be penetrated quickly.

Want to know a fun fact? Even an Atlas with a 300-rated engine can track any mech in the game with just turning (no torso twisting) if the target is 50+ meters away. If the Atlas uses his torso twist, that Atlas can track a 180 kph mech until they get within 25 meters. Now consider that the majority of mechs in the game have higher agility than the Atlas...

See this thread for more details: http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

The only mech that has a hard time tracking a light is the Dire Whale, and that weakness can be remedied by putting your back to a wall or simply being near your team. Or killing the light before it gets close in the first place (which the Dire Whale has plenty of firepower to do).

If you consistently have issues against light mechs, the issue is probably influenced more by the shooter than the target.

Edited by FupDup, 10 April 2015 - 07:14 AM.

#100 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:20 AM

In all fairness streak crows do more or less wreck light mechs right now. Before the clans the most streak srms you could fit was about 12. Now it's like 30. If taking 12 was an OK idea before (not many people did but some did, including myself) then taking 30 now is about three times as good an idea.

In other words, if there ever was a reason to take mass streak srms, then the scrow appeals to that reason three fold.

IMO, here's what we need to do. Reduce the scrows max missile hardpoints to like 3-4, reduce the dire whales max ballistic hardpoints to about 4, add ghost heat to C ac/10s, and remove endo or ferro from the Timber.

Could solve a lot of problems, no?

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users