Time To Remove Jump Jet Heat

143 replies to this topic

#1 Koniks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:01 AM

Jumpsniping is no longer an OP tactic and has pretty much disappeared from the game. Jump jet heat and the inability to cool while in the air weren't the cause (PPC velocity, jump jet thrust reductions, and, for the IS, Clan tech are) but even if it was, it penalizes using jump jets while brawling more.

Edited by Mizeur, 09 April 2015 - 10:02 AM.

#2 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:03 AM

At the very least, Class I Jump Jets should produce less heat than they do now.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 09 April 2015 - 10:03 AM.

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:04 AM

Dude. Stop! Seriously? Jump Jets and Heat have been a joke in this game. A Spider Jumping for a full 8 thrust used 80% of the 10 sinks capacity. Saying we don't need JJ heat is just ... NO!

#4 Kristov Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:05 AM

Jump jet heat is just fine where it is, a bit low really, but it's good where it's at.

This is NOT CoD, please stop trying to remove ALL the things that make this game NOT CoD, thank you.

#5 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

Its producing heat like it should. Its fine as is. Heck, like others said, it should produce a lot more. Maybe if it did, we could enjoy some better performing PPCs (since they have been nerfed hard due to jump sniping).

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 09 April 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#6 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:14 AM

This game isn't a simulator. And it's not table top. Adding half-measures like jump jet heat while leaving the rest of the arcade features in place doesn't make for good gameplay.

IS jump brawlers are already penalized because they're shorter range, and either slower than Clan mechs or more fragile with an XL engine. Clan JJ brawlers are penalized because most of them have tonnage restrictions. If it makes the TBR-S with D torsos somehow OP, then that can be fixed with more severe negative heat or cooldown quirks.

The Summoner and Victors need the help.

#7 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

The heat is fine, it's the thrust that was overnerfed on some (arguably all) mechs and needs to be increased a bit.

#8 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

View PostMizeur, on 09 April 2015 - 10:14 AM, said:

This game isn't a simulator. And it's not table top. Adding half-measures like jump jet heat while leaving the rest of the arcade features in place doesn't make for good gameplay.

IS jump brawlers are already penalized because they're shorter range, and either slower than Clan mechs or more fragile with an XL engine. Clan JJ brawlers are penalized because most of them have tonnage restrictions. If it makes the TBR-S with D torsos somehow OP, then that can be fixed with more severe negative heat or cooldown quirks.

The Summoner and Victors need the help.

Nope. Jumping is...

By harnessing the power of a 'Mech's fusion engine to superheat air or another suitable fluid, Jump Jets allow a BattleMech to briefly overcome gravity and rocket short distances over the battlefield.

#9 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:17 AM

Nope, it should produce MORE heat combined with actually jumping high and far.

#10 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:17 AM

How about we ask they make jump jets actually good then maybe increase heat as needed? The jets right now are so dull and no fun, why solidify this?

#11 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

I'd rather they make jumpjets practical again, poptarts be damned. If poptarts are a problem, nerf them harder, but don't ruin jumpjets to do it.

#12 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for quoting lore at me without addressing my point that the game isn't a simulator or table top.

Also, you brought up the Spider. That mech obviously needs to be nerfed further. It's totally throwing off balance in the game.

View PostPjwned, on 09 April 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

The heat is fine, it's the thrust that was overnerfed on some (arguably all) mechs and needs to be increased a bit.

No, it's the fact that you can't cool down if you jump. Being able to jump higher would still leave you vulnerable in a brawler. Addressing thrust alone would benefit only jumpsniping. Which also needs the help.

#13 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:20 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 09 April 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:

Nope, it should produce MORE heat combined with actually jumping high and far.

4 Jump Jets should put you on top a 4 story building, 8 Jets 8 stories. It's almost not rocket science!

#14 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:21 AM

I never noticed jumpjet heat, and TBH, id be happier if the jumpjet heat actually scaled to the number of JJs you have, what class those JJs are, how long and far you jump, and your mech's weight, instead we got arbitrary paul numbers because paul is paul and you are wrong as long as he is around.

What I want is for jumpjets to actually lift you more than 5 ******* meters from the ground. Like really, they aren't jumpjets, they're hover jets. And yes, that is also paul's fault. Not only did he implement half baked non-effective jj heat, he also made sure your jumpjets were utterly wasted tonnage.

Closest iv seen to good jumpjets is mechwarrior living legends, where hitting jump puts you on a difficult to control, effectively predefined arc. You jump far, but you are also vulnerable. There is no shake in LL though, so you could still snipe. I would say the living legends jumpjets plus jumpjet shake for as long as you are airborn would be best.

Edited by pbiggz, 09 April 2015 - 10:23 AM.

#15 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:22 AM

Jump jet heat is fine where it is. Manage your heat.

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:22 AM

View PostMizeur, on 09 April 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

Thanks for quoting lore at me without addressing my point that the game isn't a simulator or table top.

Also, you brought up the Spider. That mech obviously needs to be nerfed further. It's totally throwing off balance in the game.

No, it's the fact that you can't cool down if you jump. Being able to jump higher would still leave you vulnerable in a brawler. Addressing thrust alone would benefit only jumpsniping. Which also needs the help.

You wanna play a MechWarrior Game you need to follow the BattleTech Physics as best you can. It is a BattleTech game not Gundam!

#17 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:27 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 09 April 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

Jump jet heat is fine where it is. Manage your heat.

Please take a brawler Summoner or Victor against metacheese, press the space bar for longer than a Morse code tap, and tell me that.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 09 April 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

You wanna play a MechWarrior Game you need to follow the BattleTech Physics as best you can. It is a BattleTech game not Gundam!

That battle was lost pre-alpha. The current physics penalizes a playstyle that should be more viable than it is given all the other mechanics that weren't implemented according to canon.

You want to argue the game should be more of a simulator? By all means. Start a thread. I'd agree with you. But this is about fixing something that's broken in the current implementation.

Edited by Mizeur, 09 April 2015 - 10:32 AM.

#18 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

View PostMizeur, on 09 April 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

The Spider is...what?

Look, if you cannot handle the heat in your brawler build when combined with JJing, MAYBE you should look at the real cause of the issue, YOU. Heat management is part of this game, your personal inability to manage your heat is not a failing or fault in the game, it's a failing or fault in your skill set that YOU can correct.

Instead of correcting this lack of skill, you want the game to remove the JJ heat totally, because..reasons...right?

Again, this game is NOT CoD, stop trying to make it CoD.

#19 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

I don't care what happens with the heat, I just want JJs to be fun, powerful mobility devices instead of being optimal for minimizing exposure time during sniping battles...

#20 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:30 AM

View PostMizeur, on 09 April 2015 - 10:27 AM, said:

Please take a brawler Summoner or Victor against metacheese, press the space bar for longer than a Morse code tap, and tell me that.

Jumping and Heat are meant to have a love hate relationship. Learn the universe you are playing in before you try to change teh rules to suit your wants.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users