So... Clan Light Mechs...

79 replies to this topic

#1 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:54 PM

I bought a storm crow for my medium clan mech to play with as I was impressed by them in fights... and It seems I do well in all of them... However... They first mech I mastered in MWO was the Spider (Second was the Cicada) and I have Jenners and Locusts as well in my 'garage'. So I tend to think of myself as a light pilot.

So what are peoples opinions of the three clan lights? The Kit Fox, Adder, and Myst Lynx. I've seen people make good use of the Mist Lynx, though the only recent thread I see starts off with calling them bad. I hardly ever see Kit Foxs or Adders, but lots of Lynxs...

So... Thoughts...?

#2 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:58 PM

None of them are very good light mechs; most are medium mechs in the way they play. Wait for the Arctic Cheetah.

Edited by Rouken, 09 April 2015 - 06:01 PM.

#3 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:01 PM

clan lights operate like is mediums. stick to cover and shoot and scoot and you will do great shadey. if you try to run a clanner like an is light, you will wont fare as well.

#4 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:09 PM

Kitfox is a nice fire support, if you play it like a conservative medium.

Arctic Cheeter looks like it could be the Clan version of the FireStarter. There will be tears either way.

Mist Lynx is lols but gimped in the loadout area.

Adder is looking OK with the recent quirks...just ok.

#5 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:17 PM

Clan lights peform kinda like an urbanmech, panther, and the wolfhound if that guy is ever released.

They all need T5 quirks but PGI sure hates clan mechs and go extra super dupper cautious.

meanwhile ER PPC thunderbolt monstrosities and chain-gun LRM's are apparently a-okay in the PGI HQ. I have no idea how those guys slipped by.

I know they are working hard and love the game but it's already known all of them love IS and they just see the clans from the buisness end so to say.

When you always look at said guys from the gun barrel pointing to your face you do not really have the same opinion when you are there helping him limp back to the infirmary or watch it get smashed on the side walk.

#6 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:45 PM

So I'm about to grab some clan mechs a la carte. It's only five bucks more to get either the Kit Fox or the Adder, and so I feel like it may as well be worth it at that point to grab one of the two. I've seen Adders do some pretty heinous damage to mechs who aren't paying attention in the PUG solo queue, whereas I've not seen much of the Kit Fox at all. Truth be told Id much rather have the Mist Lynx, but it's part of wave 2 so that's not an option.

If you guys had to pick between the two - Kit Fox or Adder - which is the most fun to play? Not necessarily the most effective in the meta sense, but most fun?

#7 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:42 PM

I have the free Adder and I like it. I run an LB2 and three (I think) MPL (it might have been SPL. Can't remember, not going to look atm) for a sort of trollish build. The LB lets you peck people from really far away and clan pulse lasers always please me. It gets a surprising amount of damage, because PEOPLE IGNORE IT. Plus you get a lot of ammo per ton, and bonus crit chance against anything without armor. It's fun.

I can't speak to the Kit Fox, since I only ever drove the stock prime as a trial. ECM is usually nice, but again...I didn't get to fiddle with it.

#8 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:31 PM

Im a huge fan of the kitfox, with a large UAC

#9 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,363 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostTim East, on 10 April 2015 - 08:42 PM, said:

I have the free Adder and I like it. I run an LB2 and three (I think) MPL (it might have been SPL. Can't remember, not going to look atm) for a sort of trollish build. The LB lets you peck people from really far away and clan pulse lasers always please me. It gets a surprising amount of damage, because PEOPLE IGNORE IT. Plus you get a lot of ammo per ton, and bonus crit chance against anything without armor. It's fun.

I can't speak to the Kit Fox, since I only ever drove the stock prime as a trial. ECM is usually nice, but again...I didn't get to fiddle with it.

They are very similar mechs, teh only real differences are:

Adder:
Some extra weight, but nothing breathtaking.
Torso hardpoints which are reasonably high (*)

Kit Fox
ECM
May take 1 to 6 jump jets.

(*) Kit Fox has two torsos with ballistic but left one is only good for MG due to fixed equipment.

I think Kit FOx is a better rounded mech, but if you intend to snipe/long support Adder might be better.

#10 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

my gauss adder did an an amazing job. Then there was my streak adder and Stock prime variant with ofcourse extra DHS

Pilot it properly, and the adder is a great light mech hunter

#11 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:12 AM

Clan lights...what?

Clan Lights are released on July 21st.

#12 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:40 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 09 April 2015 - 06:17 PM, said:

Clan lights peform kinda like an urbanmech, panther, and the wolfhound if that guy is ever released.

Uhhhhh.... I think you are under estimating the Panther.

#13 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

View PostShinVector, on 11 April 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:

Uhhhhh.... I think you are under estimating the Panther.

What do you mean?

#14 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:47 PM

I bought three Kitfoxes back when they came out for cbills, and spent months beating my head against that wall. Eventually sold all three of them and bought three Adders. Much prefer the Adder. Despite not having ECM, it's much more servicable than the Kitfox. The Adder has better/higher mounted hardpoints which allows it to take shots with less exposure. The Kitfox largely requires you to expose your entire mech when firing, which will either get you killed if you risk it and take those shots, or hobble you if you play it safe and don't.

As for playstyle the Adder plays a little like a Cicada if you built it for long range support.

Can't speak to the Mist Lynx, never piloted it. Seems easily disarmed though.

The Arctic Cheetah will go closer to IS light speeds, so if you want a more traditional light playstyle that would be the one to go for.

#15 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:11 PM

View PostVoivode, on 11 April 2015 - 03:47 PM, said:

The Arctic Cheetah will go closer to is light speeds, so if you want a more traditional light playstyle that would be the one to go for.

I didn't know there are any mechs that can travel light speed...

#16 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:15 PM

fire moth when -_-

#17 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:48 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 11 April 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

What do you mean?

Just Panther actually work VERY well for what it does.
Just does to be in the same line as the Trash CAN ! :P

Edited by ShinVector, 11 April 2015 - 09:49 PM.

#18 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:53 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 11 April 2015 - 06:15 PM, said:

fire moth when -_-

my thoughts exactly however that would be crazy to have a clan mech being faster then IS mechs. The devs would never allow that given their stance being IS

I really don't see the clans getting the Firemoth anytime soon it would just break the game with how fast it goes even without masc or speed tweek

#19 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:37 PM

Firemoth has barely any weapon load. It wouldn't be a good choice.

#20 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:28 AM

View PostShinVector, on 11 April 2015 - 09:48 PM, said:

Just Panther actually work VERY well for what it does.
Just does to be in the same line as the Trash CAN ! :P

I didn't say either are bad or good mechs. (Personally I like the Urbanmech a lot)
Panther is an alright mech, not the best. but it does beat all clan lights.

Just because something has a similar playstyle, doesn't mean it's bad or good as said thing.

For eg the Victor has the same play style as a Centurion but one of them is not that competitive while the other one is king

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users