Important Info On Patcher And Repair Tool Fixes

85 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:30 AM

Greetings MechWarriors,

If you have run the Repair Tool since the April 7th patch, you may have noticed that it reports a large number of mismatched files. This is not an error; we made some adjustments to our patching process in an effort to improve stability and reduce patch and repair times, and we'll be releasing additional improvements with the April 21st patch.
The downside to these improvements is that the final transition to the new patching and repair system on April 21st will require some additional downloads and an extended patch time.

We're advising everyone to run the Repair Tool prior to April 21st, when you have some time to 'set it and forget it'. For example, before you go to bed, before you head off to work or school, or at any other time when you can leave your computer alone to let it download and apply the required files.

• Run the Repair Tool (located by default in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Bin32 folder)
  • Click the 'Start Scan' button
  • This initial scan should only take a minute or so
  • Once the scan is complete, click the 'Fix Errors' button
  • The 'Fix Errors' process is the one that will take some time
Going through this process now isn't technically required. However, doing this now will drastically reduce your patch time on April 21st. Once the April 21st patch rolls out the patcher client will perform these steps automatically when you begin the patch process.
Performing the above steps now will prevent the patcher from having to do this on patch day, when you'll likely want to get online and in-game as fast as possible.

There are several reasons why we're changing the patch and repair process, but the main reason is so that the client can verify the file base as efficiently as possible. This will allow us to mitigate problems with missing or corrupt files.
We do apologize for any inconvenience, both for this transition and for any frustrations you may have experienced with the patch or repair process in the past.
Nonetheless, we're confident that these changes will be a significant improvement to the patch and repair processes.

To summarize:

• We released some initial fixes to the patching system with the April 7th patch.
  • We will be releasing additional fixes to the patching system with the April 21st patch.
  • Applying the April 21st patch will automatically initiate the re-download and install of any mismatched files
  • Running the MWO Repair Tool prior to April 21st will allow you to bypass having to re-download and install the mismatched files when the April 21st patch hits.
  • For that reason, we recommend that you run the MWO Repair Tool prior to April 21st.

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

Already done... doing silly rituals on patch day because of these problems in general.

#3 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

I ran the repair tool the other day because I noticed MWO was freezing out every time I tried to quit out.

It replaced that huge number of files...and I went to bed.

The next day I loaded up the game and it told me that one of my Direct X .dll files was missing, and thus I couldn't play ANY of my games. Got it fixed by re-downloading the Direct X files...

Any chance you're patcher could be at fault for this unexpected and never-before-seen deletion of DirectX files?

Edited by Ghost Badger, 16 April 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#4 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostGhost Badger, on 16 April 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

Any chance you're patcher could be at fault for this unexpected and never-before-seen deletion of DirectX files?

No, that's a bit odd.

During the initial installation process the installer places some DirectX install files into the game directory. The installer doesn't remove these install files once the installation is complete. The Repair Tool can and does remove these install files though, as the packages are already installed and the install files are no longer needed.
The Repair Tool doesn't touch any of the installed DirectX files.

Do you recall if you had just switched to the 64-bit version after booting up the day after running the tool process? It's possible that you were already missing some DirectX files that were necessary for 64-bit. That being said, you did mention you were unable to play other games as well...

#5 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:43 PM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 16 April 2015 - 12:36 PM, said:

No, that's a bit odd.

During the initial installation process the installer places some DirectX install files into the game directory. The installer doesn't remove these install files once the installation is complete. The Repair Tool can and does remove these install files though, as the packages are already installed and the install files are no longer needed.
The Repair Tool doesn't touch any of the installed DirectX files.

Do you recall if you had just switched to the 64-bit version after booting up the day after running the tool process? It's possible that you were already missing some DirectX files that were necessary for 64-bit. That being said, you did mention you were unable to play other games as well...

No, I was on 64-bit before that, too. Specifically it was the Xinput1_3.dll...which effected any and all programs utilizing DirectX.

Never had it happen before...and since the only thing I'd done in the interim was run the repair tool, I thought I'd ask.

#6 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:46 PM

The repair tool is slow and uses little of the available resources. If I'm doing nothing on my computer at the moment then the repair tool should utilize everything possible to get it done. While repair tool is running my 4930K has less then a 5% load, 16GB of ram with only 3.5GB being used, and a 20Mbps connection that isn't even getting to 2 Mbps. Make this tool throttle as needed and utilize all available resources.

#7 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

What if I did a fresh re-install of the client about two weeks ago? Should I still run the Repair Tool?

#8 Igor Kozyrev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Silver Champ
  • WC 2017 Silver Champ
  • 1,881 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRussia, Siberia

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:05 PM

I don't quite get it — do you recommend to run the repair tool for absolutely everybody? Or just those who have run it already?

#9 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:16 PM

View PostTarogato, on 16 April 2015 - 12:53 PM, said:

What if I did a fresh re-install of the client about two weeks ago? Should I still run the Repair Tool?

Yes. But fortunately you should get fewer mismatches than anyone else.

View PostIgor Kozyrev, on 16 April 2015 - 01:05 PM, said:

I don't quite get it — do you recommend to run the repair tool for absolutely everybody? Or just those who have run it already?

This is recommended for everyone. If someone has installed the game since last patch day then they might not necessarily need it, but the repair tool is the best determination of that. Should only take a minute to run, and if you don't actually need to repair anything, then it will say so ("No mismatches found").

#10 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:00 PM

I got'a buddy whom just patched yesterday for 07APR2015: Does he meet your requirement?

#11 RedEagle86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:24 PM

I'd run the repair tool to download, but I've had issues with both the patcher and the repair tool freezing up while downloading. The work-around is to use Mozilla Firefox (allows failed and restarted downloads) and get the files direct from the server. But even then, they download a little bit at a time and 'fail'.

#12 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:36 PM

View PostKrist Smith, on 16 April 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

Yes. But fortunately you should get fewer mismatches than anyone else.

This is recommended for everyone. If someone has installed the game since last patch day then they might not necessarily need it, but the repair tool is the best determination of that. Should only take a minute to run, and if you don't actually need to repair anything, then it will say so ("No mismatches found").

Clear as a bell, thanks much!

I decided to run it, but strangely enough it seemed like every .pak file in the game was mismatched. My reinstall was on 3/21/2015. Seems unusual that there are so many mismatches. Mismatches pasted below, does this seem typical?

Spoiler

#13 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:46 PM

I'm actually running it right now since the launcher has recently decided to give me some error instead of launching anything. "Error has occurred" or some such thing. This being my first time I've ever had to run the repair tool (lucky??), I have no idea how long it's supposed to take place. Reading this, I suspect that this time it's going to be a while, which is a bummer but, I guess, will save me time next week. I appreciate the head's up, in any case.

Edit: I spoke too soon. The MWORepairTool "has stopped working" and the only options I have are to check online for a solution or close the program. This is the same error MWO was giving me. Oh well, I guess. Not really into spending the time necessary to submit a ticket or whatever. Back to Attila for a while for me.

Edit 2: Now the MWO launcher fires right up with no problems... This is odd.

Edited by Josef Koba, 16 April 2015 - 02:49 PM.

#14 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:01 PM

View PostTarogato, on 16 April 2015 - 02:36 PM, said:

Clear as a bell, thanks much!

I decided to run it, but strangely enough it seemed like every .pak file in the game was mismatched. My reinstall was on 3/21/2015. Seems unusual that there are so many mismatches. Mismatches pasted below, does this seem typical?

Ummm ... the OP told you there may be a large number of mismatches. This is intentional, due to the changes they are making to the patcher and patch process.

They want as many people as possible to run the repair tool before the April 21st patch so the demand isn't so high that day. The mismatched files that are fixed before then won't have to be downloaded on patch day. It will save time and hassle, which is always a good thing.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 16 April 2015 - 03:02 PM.

#15 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 16 April 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

Ummm ... the OP told you there may be a large number of mismatches. This is intentional, ...

D'oh! It was the first thing they said in the OP, and I have the memory capacity of a goldfish. Fair enough.

#16 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:43 PM

So out of curiosity, what's been going on with the MWO patching process that, well, pretty much every single .pak file in my MWO directory is mismatched with what it should be? My install is a couple years old but patched up to date, so I expected some issues, but I wasn't expecting my entire game to be out of synch with the official files.

#17 Kivatu

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:44 PM

wow i run the repair tool and it download ..EVERYTHING... lol

Edited by Kivatu, 16 April 2015 - 03:46 PM.

#18 EGG

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

Would it be easier to just reinstall?

#19 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:24 PM

View Postaniviron, on 16 April 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

So out of curiosity, what's been going on with the MWO patching process that, well, pretty much every single .pak file in my MWO directory is mismatched with what it should be? My install is a couple years old but patched up to date, so I expected some issues, but I wasn't expecting my entire game to be out of synch with the official files.

I explain it in a post in this thread:
http://mwomercs.com/...ir-tool-update/

View PostEGG, on 16 April 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

Would it be easier to just reinstall?

It is possible, but not very likely. You would almost certainly be downloading more, but there is slight chance that the install base may download quicker as a single patch rather than each file. Unless you have a lot of mismatches the repair tool should be faster.

#20 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:28 PM

How much data should we expect to download? I am on a data plan but at certain times I can download for free, just wondering if I need to plan for that or can just go for it whenever.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users