Should We Allow Mixed Dropdecks?

26 replies to this topic

Poll: Should We Allow Mixed Dropdecks? (74 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we be able to mix tech in our dropdecks?

1. Yes - I want to be able to use any mech I own regardless of faction (4 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

2. No - IS should only be able to use IS mechs and Clans should stick to Clan mechs (55 votes [74.32%])

Percentage of vote: 74.32%

3. Yes - but we should only be able to use opposite tech when acquired through a salvage system (15 votes [20.27%])

Percentage of vote: 20.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:51 PM

Feel free to discuss!

Edited by Tarogato, 16 April 2015 - 01:52 PM.

#2 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:12 PM

Madness.

#3 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:20 PM

The only way I could see it possibly working is if it was limited to permanent merc units and there was something like a 225-230 tonnage limit.

Of course that would require fixing contracts so breaking them actually meant something.

#4 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:32 PM

Sure. On the condition we add actual Gundams from Gundam wing and mechs from any other source we can avoid copyright issues on. Also magic. There should be trolls and giants. That would be awesome and a great excuse to add in melee!

Mixed drop decks is beyond 'in for a penny in for a pound' balance decisions. it makes faction membership utterly irrelevant or belonging to Clans/IS utterly irrelevant. It is an idea so bad that other bad ideas look at it and shake their head.

#5 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

^ Can't really argue with that.

Although even though he was being sarcastic trolls and giants would be fun! XD

#6 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:15 PM

I voted no. The current incarnation, or first of future shards of CW is the Clan Invasion. This is a time period where Clan Mechs weren't prolific through the Inner Sphere- a major point behind the warring sides is to have asymmetry. Clans get Clan Tech restricted to Clan Omni's while IS get IS Battlemechs restricted to IS Tech.

This vote could change with future shards of CW (different time periods added with their own restrictions to keep mechs appropriate to that time period) and with a more robust salvage system.

Before you bring up that Lore shouldn't be used as a limiter on players at all- Lore is what sets the setting. Warthunder doesn't let you drop with any mix of German, Russian or American tanks in your deck- instead your selection is limited to the nationality you queue as. MWO should be keeping those same lines.

#7 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts
  • LocationClan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone.

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:21 PM

If this happens all you will see are Hellbringers, Storm Crows, Stalkers, Thunderbolts and the obligatory Firestarter rush. Plus, we do not want to see you IS Surats running around in Clan mechs in CW, nor do we Clanners want to degrade ourselves by piloting IS mechs (even the quirked-to-death OP ones).

Also, keeping Clan mech s for Clans and IS mechs for IS is just about the only thing in MWO that gives any significance to choosing one faction over another.

Edited by IronClaws, 16 April 2015 - 03:25 PM.

#8 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:30 PM

Didn't vote.

What would work to the benefit of the game IMHO:
Allow to add some 'enemy' tonnage in the form of 1 mech as a reward for achieving top faction loyalty and only for the loyalist players. 4th best rank would allow you to have 1 mech of 25 tons or lower, 3rd rank from the top - 50 tons, 2nd - 75, 1st - 100. To make things harder, salvaged mechs could take up more drop deck tonnage that they actually weight (eg. 50% more)

Expected results:
1. Salvaged tech presented in the game somewhat
2. Incentive to stay loyal (we really need this one)
3. Minor impact on the CW itself - an option only for long-term loyalists, only 1/4 of the drop deck affected, penalties.

#9 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:46 PM

I voted for salvage. Salvage in the idea that the game should have an economy and more depth.

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 16 April 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

What would work to the benefit of the game IMHO:
Allow to add some 'enemy' tonnage in the form of 1 mech as a reward for achieving top faction loyalty and only for the loyalist players. 4th best rank would allow you to have 1 mech of 25 tons or lower, 3rd rank from the top - 50 tons, 2nd - 75, 1st - 100. To make things harder, salvaged mechs could take up more drop deck tonnage that they actually weight (eg. 50% more)

Expected results:
1. Salvaged tech presented in the game somewhat
2. Incentive to stay loyal (we really need this one)
3. Minor impact on the CW itself - an option only for long-term loyalists, only 1/4 of the drop deck affected, penalties.

I like the idea that you can earn a salvaged clan mech, or a gift from the forges of Outreach/Blackwell Industries or something. I think that this mech should be given ONLY to people with permanent contracts with a faction. I would not limit the tonnage, but I could see allowing a single mech in the drop deck. Likewise, the clanners, if they want to slum it with IS technology, they should have an ample supply of isorla to choose from. The trick is, if you're using a clan mech in your drop deck as a house warrior, you should not earn any money from it. (Finding spare parts is expensive!) Likewise for the clanners. To resort to using isorla suggests you lost your clan mech, lost face, lost honor.

In any case, it allows for
1. Salvage to play a part. (Provides a way to earn and use salvage.)
2. Gives an incentive to stay loyal. (Gives options to perma-contract players not available to others. I also argue each rank should be worth 5 tons of mech, so at rank 5, you could salvage a 25 ton mech and so on.)
3. Minor impact on CW. (You can replace a mech in your drop deck, but you earn less.)
4. Penalties for leaving the faction is the loss of the privileges, and loss of C-bills for breaking the perma-contract.

Edited by Peiper, 16 April 2015 - 04:50 PM.

#10 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

So the one top tier super reward for staying a loyalist is being able to field one "special Mech."

A Mech you could use anytime as a merc. Alongside any other of the "special Mechs".

Plus you also don´t earn C-Bills.

Good idea. I´m sure the days of mercs are numbered.

(Recent events obliege me to add something to this post:

*trollface*

Thank you for your time)

Edited by Molossian Dog, 16 April 2015 - 08:34 PM.

#11 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:55 PM

Salvage is never going to happen. It breaks, well, everything. Clanners using salvaged IS tech? Mixed-tech on mechs is even worse. It breaks the tenuous half-balance we have already and makes for untenable exploits for meta. Most IS tech gets voided immediately and huge imbalances, effectively letting some players with enough luck and experience get significantly imbalanced superior mechs and builds. It doesn't matter how much in game money you have/lose/gain/whatever or any other balance factors. You don't add in super-OP imbalanced 'rare drops' to a game like this. It utterly borks balance in ways you can't fix.

What really scares me is that after single hardpoint weapon quirks and the new decision to not reset the map (the only real thing with a hope of drawing people back to CW and MW:O in general) I have no real reason to trust that PGI won't see this terribad set of ideas and go 'huh, yeah. We should do that. Also we should add quirks to certain mechs to use opposite faction weapons. That's an awesome idea!'

Kill this thread. It's giving me nightmares.

#12 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

Are you sure you are liking my post Peiper?

Really sure? Maybe read it again.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 16 April 2015 - 08:32 PM.

#13 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:36 PM

Why not have two dropdecks, one for Clan mechs, and one for Inner Sphere mechs ?

#14 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 16 April 2015 - 08:31 PM, said:

Are you sure you are liking my post Peiper?

Really sure? Maybe read it again.

Yeah, okay, read it again. I disagree partly with your post. Mercs shouldn't get the perks that loyalists get. This is not because I don't see a precedent set for mercs having access to clan tech (Kell Hounds, Wolfs Dragoons), but because I think loyalists should have perks that outweigh those who would hop factions. Currently, you are more rewarded for hopping factions than staying in one, especially as the Loyalty Points necessary to hit the big rewards go up exponentially each level. So, give loyalists something more to grind for, and strip them of it if they switch factions (unless they go to another faction they've already ground out hours and hours of game-time to reach similar ranks, I guess).

Right now there is no difference being a merc or a loyalist. Permanent contracts will HELP make that difference, but who would take a permanent contract if they didn't get something out of it? Do you have a better idea?

I get really sick of hearing that PGI can't do an economy, can't do salvage, the balance will be broken, it's too hard, etc... Creativity wins, stagnancy and excuses lose.

Edited by Peiper, 16 April 2015 - 08:51 PM.

#15 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:59 PM

No please... what i would like to see is lore faction mechs getting LP bonuses.

#16 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:05 PM

View PostMycrus, on 16 April 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

Me too. I keep meaning to mock up a list of mechs so that each faction gets the same number of mechs with bonuses, but then I get lazy when I realise you have to dig pretty hard into the lore to figure it out sometimes.

#17 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

View PostPeiper, on 16 April 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

Creativity wins, stagnancy and excuses lose.

I have an idea, look at my sig, or here... http://mwomercs.com/...r-corps-and-cw/

#18 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:30 PM

View PostMycrus, on 16 April 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

YES. This would improve MUH IMMERSIONS and I fully support anything doing just that. Hell, anything differentiating the factions besides the map (which is admittedly somewhat pointless since planetary bonuses are a bit off the table according to the Town Hall notes) would be great. Right now the only differences are who can attack what, faction picture beside your pilot name, and the people in your faction.

+1 m8

..of course, maybe it doesn't hurt that the FRR could have feasibly used plenty of mechs in their attempted defense of home. Lovely DCMS and Steiner salvage from previous occupation, in addition to any domestic mechworks...

Edited by Sandersson Jankins, 16 April 2015 - 09:33 PM.

#19 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:41 PM

some clan units might utilize is mechs for raids and some elite is 'mercenary' units (why do everybody loves mercenaries so much) could have few clan mechs, there books about both (wolf dragoons (pretty obviously), red corsair band (clans with is tech), black thorns mercenaries (vice versa, a ****** book, but still))

#20 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:51 PM

Clans should bee abel to use all mechs they own. The B52 is also still flying for the Air Force plus salvaged ones.
IS just IS plus salvaged.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users