Streakcrow Balance

Balance

329 replies to this topic

#1 Ragnahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts
  • LocationAce in RVN-3L, HBK-4P, CDA-2A, AS7-S, BNC-3M, Won Top Dog Tourny.. Those are my bests

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:12 AM

Lore doesn't make this game fun.

350+ Range with never missing missiles for 60 points of damage wherever you can get a lock. ANDDDDDDDDDDD you can keep moving? This is garbage. That's the equivalent of a dire equipped with 4 guass rifles and the weight on that is insane. I've tried to counter it, I've shutdown my mech. They can still get a lock. I have run around corners hoping that some of the missiles would hit the terrain but there is no way in hell you can avoid those things. I've even climbed one of the pillars on tourmaline to try and ninja the little craps, only to be sniped by the god srms from 300+ meters in the air. Not to mention they are hard as hell to kill with some serious hitboxes. I don't even get why people even bother strapping lasers to the things.
I want counter measures. Muddy pits to drench my mech in, more ecm, some lag time between shots so that you can actually dodge them. I know that everyone in the innersphere is not a complete idiot. There's always a countermeasure.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:16 AM

Streaks aren't in a weird spot because of lore, they're in a weird spot because PGI felt the need to make them into an "always hit" RNG-targeting system.

This has made them into an "all or nothing" binary weapon that either wreck people in some situations or suck badly in others. There's not much in-between.

It's kinda hard to balance a gun that operates on pendulum-swings from one extreme to the other, so their performance has to be made a lot more consistent so we can measure their overall effectiveness. The best way to do this is to outright redo their whole targeting system so that they take the player's aim into account somehow (i.e. home in on the aimed location) and don't rely on lucky dicerolls to get hits. After that, we can adjust any other stats like range/cooldown/heat/ammo etc. until they get put in a good place.

But of course, that won't happen. Binary Streaks are one of the Legacy Features™ of MWO by this point.

#3 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:20 AM

wait 4 gauss do actually get shot down by AMS? get protected by ECM? can be spread across your mech? No wait they can't.

So basically what Fup said, because the worst ou can do from streaks is to "twist in" in a light mech sicne then everything tends to hit your arm and ST on the way to your components. Face the streaks frontally, so they can spread themselves and they turn into a rather pointless way to destroy a mech.

#4 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:23 AM

In lore, Streaks are no more accurate than other SRMs. That aspect is all PGI.

#5 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:26 AM

View PostMalleus011, on 07 April 2015 - 06:23 AM, said:

In lore, Streaks are no more accurate than other SRMs. That aspect is all PGI.

I always liked the MW4 implementation,
fire when nothing on target = SRM
fire when an enemy mech staying on target = missiles homed to the section aimed.

#6 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:27 AM

Of course, later today they should be doing pretty well what with all the urbies.

They are decidedly less awesome with a 50% heavy queue.

#7 xImmortalx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 176 posts
  • LocationBucharest

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:33 AM

View PostF8Sealed, on 07 April 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

350+ Range with never missing missiles for 60 points of damage wherever you can get a lock. ANDDDDDDDDDDD you can keep moving? This is garbage. That's the equivalent of a dire equipped with 4 guass rifles and the weight on that is insane. I've tried to counter it, I've shutdown my mech. They can still get a lock. I have run around corners hoping that some of the missiles would hit the terrain but there is no way in hell you can avoid those things. I've even climbed one of the pillars on tourmaline to try and ninja the little craps, only to be sniped by the god srms from 300+ meters in the air. Not to mention they are hard as hell to kill with some serious hitboxes. I don't even get why people even bother strapping lasers to the things.
I want counter measures. Muddy pits to drench my mech in, more ecm, some lag time between shots so that you can actually dodge them. I know that everyone in the innersphere is not a complete idiot. There's always a countermeasure.

Wait, you're complaining that a mech specifically built specifically to play a role is good at playing that role? Really?

Look at it this way: you're annoying enough that someone will sacrifice a lethal laser vomit scrow that can tear up the rest of your team for a streak scrow that barely scratches anything larger than a medium, is super hot and has insanely long weapon recycle for a short range mech. You'll be OK if you learn to stay away till your larger teammates engage.

#8 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:38 AM

There is something I want to share with you. There will always be a mech that is capable of dominating your mech.

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostF8Sealed, on 07 April 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

Well thats 60 points if the enemy doesn't duck behind cover. Streaks here have the ability to miss if the enemy is fast & lucky. Hence my 61% accuracy with Streak2s.

#10 Corbenik

• The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:50 AM

Don't forget ammo dependent , once they run outta ammo they are useless lol

#11 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:51 AM

Press R. Look at the top right corner of your screen.. You'll see the targeted mechs load out. Alter your method of destroying targeted mech while staying alive base on it's load out.

#12 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:53 AM

Player asking for a build nerf should be asked to play 5 games in the said build first. Then they could see how OP or not it truly is before starting threads... Just sayin...

#13 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:53 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 07 April 2015 - 06:20 AM, said:

wait 4 gauss do actually get shot down by AMS? get protected by ECM? can be spread across your mech? No wait they can't.

Thats a bit warped :o(. even with AMS you might shoot 2 or 3 missiles. ECM does not protect against streaks since all streaks have BAP equipped and most take it now just because it does counter ECM for that mech. When your in a light it does not matter how much you spread, two alphas and your dead.

I give more credence to the 2 PPC 2 Gauss builds than I do to streak boats, at least the PPC/Guass take skill to aim and hit. The main problem with streaks is target acquisition. Your reticule does not have to be on the mech to acquire the target it just has to be close. For a light or a fast medium that relies on speed to survive this pretty well much kills it,

I have been in my Jenner been in LoS less than 3 seconds and still had streaks beating me in the ass. And I swear radar Derp does not work on them.

#14 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:55 AM

Show us on the wire-diagram where the bad missiles touched you.

I've run a Streak36 Mad Dog, I call BS on this idea about how over powered Streaks are. Try using them yourself and tell me how good they are.

#15 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:59 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 07 April 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

Thats a bit warped :o(. even with AMS you might shoot 2 or 3 missiles. ECM does not protect against streaks since all streaks have BAP equipped and most take it now just because it does counter ECM for that mech. When your in a light it does not matter how much you spread, two alphas and your dead.

I give more credence to the 2 PPC 2 Gauss builds than I do to streak boats, at least the PPC/Guass take skill to aim and hit. The main problem with streaks is target acquisition. Your reticule does not have to be on the mech to acquire the target it just has to be close. For a light or a fast medium that relies on speed to survive this pretty well much kills it,

I have been in my Jenner been in LoS less than 3 seconds and still had streaks beating me in the ass. And I swear radar Derp does not work on them.

bap or not, lock time is huge enough to shoot and disappear. 2 Alphas and you are dead? you are truly doing something wrong, because you are not dead after two alphas. Just try this frontally on the commando in the testing ground, and hey this commando isn't even moving.

you can be glad your Jenner isn't facing competent srm builds they will scare you a lot more than streak builds.

#16 Mr D One

• Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:01 AM

Streak's are actually the most fair weapon in the game.

They take time to lock on, they take longer against an ecm shielded opponent,

They are NOT a pinpoint ALPHA strike, like the 6 Med Pulse Thunderbolts, the 6 Large Laser Stalker, the 2 x ERPPC, 2 X Gauss Rifle DIre, the 2x Lg Pulse, 3 x Med Laser Timber.....etc etc

There damage is spread all over the target.

They help players with really average ping achieve decent point padding to qualify for mystery bags, lucky dips etc.

#17 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:01 AM

Clan streaks have an exceedingly long reload time, a CSSRM6 = 6 second reload time. Clan streaks also fire in streams so that AMS do work better against them. Never shut down a light mech against streaks. Everyone runs BAP now and shutting down just gives them more time to fire on you and BAP allows target locks on powered down mechs.

Massed streaks are a hard counter to light mechs you do NOT go against them solo in a light mech and not expect to die. It would be the exact same thing to go out in the open at 800M in an assault mech against a LRM Boat and ***** about dying to LRM's.

#18 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:02 AM

MWLL definitely had the best streaks, I would really like MWO to take after them.

#19 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:02 AM

As others have said or might have said, it's risk vs. reward. Ammo dependent and having to be within range.

#20 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:06 AM

View PostFupDup, on 07 April 2015 - 06:16 AM, said:

Streaks aren't in a weird spot because of lore, they're in a weird spot because PGI felt the need to make them into an "always hit" RNG-targeting system.

This has made them into an "all or nothing" binary weapon that either wreck people in some situations or suck badly in others. There's not much in-between.

It's kinda hard to balance a gun that operates on pendulum-swings from one extreme to the other, so their performance has to be made a lot more consistent so we can measure their overall effectiveness. The best way to do this is to outright redo their whole targeting system so that they take the player's aim into account somehow (i.e. home in on the aimed location) and don't rely on lucky dicerolls to get hits. After that, we can adjust any other stats like range/cooldown/heat/ammo etc. until they get put in a good place.

But of course, that won't happen. Binary Streaks are one of the Legacy Features™ of MWO by this point.

Well said, i quite like the way streaks worked in MW4 more pointing and shooting than a on off switch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users