How to become a clanner...

84 replies to this topic

#1 Kribson

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

There's a lot of speculation and even more of "i will got to clan *** as soon as they enter the inner sphere", but actually i never read anything from the developers that you will be able to play as a clanner at all.
Of course as this is to be a PvP game we need someone to play the clans. So does anybody know a little more than me about how this will work?

If not, i would like to make a suggestion. There could be a kind of ranking for all players. The best players get invitations to become a clanner if there are new clanners needed. For example next year, when the invasion will start.
To balance the power of clantech you could have more IS players per battle than clanners. Should be fair. Best players with better equipment against a superior number of enemies (reminds me of 300). Additionally devs could possibly introduce a kind of betting system. The team that bets the least mechs to win the battle may proof their ability to. That would also be close to canon.

Start firing in case you dislike ;-)

#2 Arafinar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationCinci, OH

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

What about just removing half your brain and have a scewed set of battle tactics?

#3 Z0MBIE Y0SHI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Interesting concept, but i think it would be to hard to manage. Players constantly go in and out of activity, so balancing it would be a devs nightmare.

#4 Tremor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationUnknown

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

I actually think that would be kind of fun.

Main problem would be players who aren't that great or don't have a lot of time to play being upset because they can't play their favorite clan.

#5 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

View PostArafinar, on 02 July 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

What about just removing half your brain and have a screwed set of battle tactics?

That actually is why I love playing the clans. It's easy to fight with anything you have, but fighting like Klingons at a Rite of Ascension Ceremony is just a cool challenge for me. Not to mention, for me, I love the back story of my beloved Clan Star Adder.

#6 An0n3

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

I wouldn't be surprised (nor too disappointed) to find out that the Clan invasion is all PVE vs. AI controlled bots. Here's why:

Mechwarrior Online is a videogame, first and foremost. It's online, and multiplayer. To that end, it has to approach conventions like balance and giving everyone the same chance to have their fun as everyone else. With that in mind, the canon concept of Clans and clan technology is a complete mess to navigate. Attempting to split your playerbase on who gets to use the good stuff and who doesn't is just impossible.

Of course Option B is to just open everything up to everyone, which is more likely. Your "clan invaders" will arrive in IS space to see their own technology being used against them already, as Mad Cats go to war on all sides of the conflict. Goofier, but it adheres to that balance a competitive online game needs to survive.

(I'll admit I'm a little biased against Clans. I think the fluff behind them is silly and that people only like them because they have better stats. My two cents.)

Edited by An0n3, 02 July 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#7 Kribson

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostZ0MBIE Y0SHI, on 02 July 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

Interesting concept, but i think it would be to hard to manage. Players constantly go in and out of activity, so balancing it would be a devs nightmare.

true...i also thought about that and did not really come to good solution other than having a certan surplus of clanplayers

View PostTremor, on 02 July 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

I actually think that would be kind of fun.

Main problem would be players who aren't that great or don't have a lot of time to play being upset because they can't play their favorite clan.

Of course, but on the other hand it would be huge privilege to be a part of the clans that you have to work hard for, just like a real clanner should

btw....thanks for not tearing me apart yet

Edited by Kribson, 02 July 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#8 Warfeli

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

I highly doubt that they will 'limit' the number of people in the clans by forcing more players into the I.S. - not very smart all. Maybe they will give a lot more incentive to stay in the I.S. by the time the clans arrive, or to join the clans they could have some 'Clanner Pack' similar to the founder's pack program. And even if the player numbers tip in favor of the clans (I highly doubt it) it is still not a problem, because the invasion game modes can account for the number skew by being inherently in favor of the I.S.

Not such a big deal for now, we don't even know how the I.S. will fight each other, let alone how the clans will play. By that time it is 3050 if I can't haz my clans I will probably rage quit the game anyway :P.

#9 Z0MBIE Y0SHI

• 1,152 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

View PostKribson, on 02 July 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

true...i also thought about that and did not really come to good solution other than having a certan surplus of clanplayers

Of course, but on the other hand it would be huge privilege to be a part of the clans that you have to work hard for, just like a real clanner should

btw....thanks for not tearing me apart yet

Tbh I think its an awesome idea, I just don't think it could work.

#10 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

View PostAn0n3, on 02 July 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

I wouldn't be surprised (nor too disappointed) to find out that the Clan invasion is all PVE vs. AI controlled bots.

I'm hoping for this initially. But there's too much of a fan base for clan players, so they've GOT to open the clans up to play eventually. A "best of both worlds" idea might be to make clans all AI at first, and let people loot them after each scenario. Then after the IS players build up a decent cache of clan tech weapons, you open up the clans for players. If the IS players have ready access to mixed tech, then the clan tech advantage they have will be much more manageable.

#11 An0n3

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

That works nicely. Adding in a sort of EVE esque reality to Clan tech. Destroying a mech but leaving enough to salvage rewards the player who got the killing blow to a chance to purchase a half-destroyed chassis. Salvaging more weapons to fill it out will eventually reward you with a functioning Clan mech, but bringing it into battle runs the risk of losing it when someone else destroys it and salvages it from you.

Could be fun.

Making a "Clan Pack" something you have to buy into is just a bad idea. Now you'll be paying for an ingame advantage over the "have nots". That's no good.

I can't think of a logical ingame method to balance IS vs. Clan warfare unless, like you stated, you bump the number of players on the IS side appropriately...but that's a pretty shoddy effort. Out-of-game incentives like decreased c-bill/exp rewards for Clan members might be frustrating enough to call them equal sides, but people will just grind anyway.

You obviously can't just cut the clans out of the game, that would be crazyness. There'll have to be some method of limiting everyone's access to the stuff equally, whether they want to be a die-hard IS stalwart or a ravenous Clan invader.

Edited by An0n3, 02 July 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#12 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

small flaws with this idea... if only the best players are allowed it becomes a little too exclusive... and also, those players wont think like clanners they will still use inner sphere tactics and fight dirty

#13 phinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

1: become test tube baby
2: dedicate your child hood to study in the way of combat
3:????
4: play MW:O instead

#14 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

I would love to see a clan invasion vs a better equipped inner sphere force (gauss, heavy gauss, streak everything, etc). Would still play clan just because I like the storyline and warrior society associated with it. The Klingons of the Battletech universe suit me just fine.

#15 Kribson

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts

View PostLightdragon, on 02 July 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

small flaws with this idea... if only the best players are allowed it becomes a little too exclusive... and also, those players wont think like clanners they will still use inner sphere tactics and fight dirty

those who do not obbey the code shall no longer be part of the clans....invite someone new

#16 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

I hope clans are 100% role play required. Oh, I have no intention of going clan, lol. I just want motivation @ 11 when I target one.

#17 Grimlock

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Why would anyone want to become a freebirth scum i wounder? :P

#18 DontGetCrabs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

View PostAn0n3, on 02 July 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

Making a "Clan Pack" something you have to buy into is just a bad idea. Now you'll be paying for an ingame advantage over the "have nots". That's no good.

I think it would actully fit in nicely to the idea the OP has. Only the true die hards would pay for it. Giving the chance to turn the invasion into something big.

#19 Ubertron X

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

How to become a clanner...

Sell your soul for overpowered tech.

#20 An0n3

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

View PostDontGetCrabs, on 02 July 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

I think it would actully fit in nicely to the idea the OP has. Only the true die hards would pay for it. Giving the chance to turn the invasion into something big.

Okay, but then all the casual players who just want to enjoy the game get crapped on because I have better weapons I can fit more of into a design with better internals management, cooling, etc. etc. because I chipped in $XX.XX and they didn't.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users