Dead Guys Blaming "the Team"

227 replies to this topic

#1 Nostromodamus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:24 AM

Why is it always the "best" players that seem to die first?

Obviously, it isn't, but they would like to think that they are. If only it wasn't for the "noob team" they were stuck with, they'd be snuffing out the Clan Invasion by themselves. Or so they believe.

Just got ridiculed by one of these "experts". He was spouting the usual diatribe of how "the team" was crap and was the sole cause of his demise in the first few minutes. I called him on it and he proceeded to talk crap about how my use of cover while my weapons cycled was "cowardly" and that I should "get out and fight instead of hiding", despite me taking on an assault lance by myself and causing 600+ damage. My match score was also almost twice his.

I would find it hilarious if it wasn't so constant. Seems every game the pile of dead guys just starts hurling BS statements about how bad the rest of the team is. Maybe it was a bad matchup. Maybe there were lots of newer players. Maybe stop to think before typing out profanity-laced insults. Maybe take a look in the mirror?

/rant

Edited by CelticCross, 05 November 2014 - 05:36 AM.

#2 The Boz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:27 AM

"I lived longer than you, I am better than you."
btol coory sro

#3 ibex230

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:27 AM

It's called Duning Kruger syndrome, check it out :)

#4 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:28 AM

The best players almost never die first.

Also never heard of slaphead and have no idea what team he plays for.

Edited by Ghogiel, 05 November 2014 - 05:29 AM.

#5 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:31 AM

I couldn't agree more. I'm not a "noob" and I don't appreciate being called one. It is funny to see these so called experts rant and rage against their own team. I'll usually respond with something like, "Big talk from a dead guy." It will either shut them up, or it will make it worse.

Just a word or caution, you might want to go back and edit your OP. There is a rule against naming and shaming other players in the Code of Conduct.

Jody

#6 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:32 AM

View PostCelticCross, on 05 November 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

Why is it always the "best" players that seem to die first?

Obviously, it isn't, but they would like to think that they are. If only it wasn't for the "noob team" they were stuck with, they'd be snuffing out the Clan Invasion by themselves. Or so they believe...

As far as I am concerned they've got no right to complain unless they were actually team-killed.

ETA:
You should consider to changing the names in your OP to protect the idiototic.

ETAA:
:ph34r: 'd by Jody

Edited by HlynkaCG, 05 November 2014 - 05:34 AM.

#7 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:35 AM

Its always the dead guys who chat because of obvious reasons; you got no time for chatting when you are still alive and fighting.

#8 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:36 AM

I am collecting screens of those, I will paste them all together in a single image and post it somewhere just for fun.

#9 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:37 AM

I rarely take it out on the team, but sometimes, the reason you die first is because your team abandons you. Either they don't stay around you when you're fighting, or they don't come with when you head into battle.

Now, some of this is a communication issue, so if you never asked them to charge with you, then don't expect them to read your mind. But it's also not unfair to expect some level of support if your lance gets ambushed by another lance to have other members of your lance either try to fight back, or help the entire lance escape.

I know my biggest frustration in PUGs is that many players wilt under fire. It's combat, you can take a few hits. Cowering behind cover as the enemy team advances to better positions does no one any good. The teams that I find do the best are the teams willing to take a few hits in order to decimate the enemy, and I find you rarely get that in a PUG, even if you try to hammer out a good plan in chat.

That's not to say it never happens, I'll say at least 30% of the PUG drops I've been in have not been like that, but that's obviously not a majority.

That said, If I do call out my team, I'll be very specific about what happened, hoping maybe they learn. LIke the guy who teamkilled me with LRMs because he wasn't paying attention to where they were going when he was firing (He hit me with 8 different vollies, I only figured out it was a teammate before the last one, and I couldn't twist away fast enough for him to not core me).

Edited by Bront, 05 November 2014 - 05:39 AM.

#10 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:39 AM

Only time I blame my team for my death is when I read it was a TK. ;)

I haven't had to blame my team in a while. Though I did take quite a bit of rear fire last night with no enemy in my flank...

#11 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:39 AM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 05 November 2014 - 05:31 AM, said:

I'll usually respond with something like, "Big talk from a dead guy." It will either shut them up, or it will make it worse.

My standard reply is "You're in this ELO bracket with me"

#12 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:41 AM

View PostThe Boz, on 05 November 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

"I lived longer than you, I am better than you."
btol coory sro

Pretty much, merely surviving isn't a mark of skill in and of itself.

#13 Finn McShae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 475 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:43 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 05 November 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

I haven't had to blame my team in a while. Though I did take quite a bit of rear fire last night with no enemy in my flank...

I had quite a few matches this weekend where I was out of rear armor before the enemy even hit my front armor... Though I find more amusing than frustrating.

#14 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

There are a lot bad players out there and bad teams. I'm going to go against the grain and say sometimes the people complaining in game might have a point. Mr one ac2 sniper atlas, you did wonders for the team, great job!

#15 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

I agree both with the OP and with Bront. Its never good to berate team mates, but at the same time......look we don't have in game voice chat (we need it SO bad its just painful) but like yea if you literally stand there and let the other team use the whole map, or you retreat every time things shoot at you........I mean the difference in a 12-3 game isn't always actually that much, sometimes people don't realize where the critical positions are or when the critrical moment to do a certain thing is, and so theres asymmetry in playstyles and experience, so yea actually sometimes it is the teams fault and you end up looking like a silly jackass right along with them even though you are not.
And for me its like well look Im no great player, no one likes me and no one will listen to me anyway, plus like in the group queue, we've all played these same maps and spawn points a thousand times, I shouldn't need to explain that yea sitting in c5 all match on frozen city fails 80 percent of the time, or that camping out in d4 in canyon network and letting the other team use the whole rest of the map to shoot down on you or flank you is probably bad.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 05 November 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#16 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:45 AM

It goes both ways, you often have people who sit in the back trying to snipe the whole game when the right move is to push and end up with a losing game that could have easily been a win. They end up with a high match score and damage, but their refusal to use that armor for the team's sake means a loss.

Of course you also have those that run out in the middle of nowhere and yeah... they died first because they deserve it.

Then you have the teams that chase a light despite someone scouting out the entire enemy mech ball.

Then there are the teams that run off an abandon the slow assaults to die alone in the ring around the rosy.

Then there are the teams that refuse to believe you have spotted the enemy formation *because* you died and therefore must be bad and unable to relay tactical information.

IE there is all many of bad play out there. The only way to avoid it is put together a team that you know and trust.

EDIT: For comprehensiveness and venting. Players who shoot through friendlies to try to score kills, players who never press R, players who can't see enemy mechs right in front of them, players who go berserk and TK because some other team member grazed them with a laser once, players who take control of the group and rearrange lances so a 2-3 man can be together and break up two other team lances, players who can't aim, players who don't understand weapons have ranges, players who don't know about LRM or PPC min ranges, players who only alpha...

Ok, that's enough, but yeah PUG'in ain't easy.

Edited by Jetfire, 05 November 2014 - 05:52 AM.

#17 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:46 AM

Well, I don't care about what people in chat say unless it's tactical information.
Everyone should know what they are doing, and the end results will, to some degree, show how everyone performed.

Regarding (Dead) players complaining...I do that too, in our private TS.
Because the sad truth is that often you will end up spectating players who don't even see an opponent, do more friendly fire than anything else, hide in their assault till they are the last one alive just to get shredded by the other team, shoot so bad that they miss an assault mech at 10m, never lock up targets to see damaged parts, overheat after every shot,...

It's really bad sometimes.

#18 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:48 AM

If it keeps getting you down, just turn off chat. It's quite wonderful, when you're tired of the negativity.

#19 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:49 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 05 November 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

If it keeps getting you down, just turn off chat. It's quite wonderful, when you're tired of the negativity.

Who needs coordination?

#20 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:51 AM

View Postgregsolidus, on 05 November 2014 - 05:49 AM, said:

Who needs coordination?

Not a lot of coordination happens in Chat though. Really it is quite rare. :unsure:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users