272 replies to this topic

#41 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:10 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 03 May 2015 - 09:36 AM, said:

To be precise, they scream about how everyone should join a big unit, but until then "they suck," and how CW is the "land of real skill," but the free wins handed out by PUG stomps are somehow part of that "real skill."

Because tactics count a LOT more in a 30 minute game with four (usually) diverse mechs on the deck. The "real skill" is following orders and being on point.

So is a unit required? Nope, I can run alone with a variety of units and do well above average.

The BIG difference is coordination, being in the right place, in the right mech, at the right time is 75% of CW. You holier than thou solos either fail to realize this for fail to acknowledge this truth.

#42 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:14 AM

View PostRomeo Deluxe, on 03 May 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

My comments above applies to you then.

actually no it doesn't it disgusts me that people only play CW for little trinkets, people complain about it not being any good for anyone but premades but if there were a regular 8-11 thousand dropping (as in the events) then the chances of being fodder for the leet teams is very low.

but your entitled to your opinion even if you jump in the wrong direction ;)

#43 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:27 AM

View PostRomeo Deluxe, on 03 May 2015 - 09:53 AM, said:

However, people like you annoy me just as much. Why do you listen to these immature brats? Why do you not rise to the challenge of a solo player like me (who is a dedicated pugger)? Why do you continuously cry stomp when I know for a fact many of your matches against premades ended 32-48 or some such and down to the last minute of the timer? Why do you stick to your ideas of poor sportsmanship?

Didn't your high school phys ed teacher or coach teach you anything about sportsmanship, your conduct, your attitude, fighting the good fight?

It's a very convenient excuse to use as cover for something else. ;)

#44 The Mechromancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 497 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:32 AM

Los Santos

#45 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:34 AM

View PostRomeo Deluxe, on 03 May 2015 - 08:07 AM, said:

<old man looks at the young people and thinks, nothing changes, 20% of the problem is PGI, 80% of the problem is players>

Very well, then. Eliminate the solo queue entirely, this game can't divide the playerbase any more aka the buckets quotes. Create a solo CW queue, bring over the old maps but modified for CW. Also use the current and new CW maps along with the solo maps. Example: a bigger River City and Forest Colony, some maps are ready to go. Make this queue use 2 or 3 drops, not the full 4 drops. Let people get LP from this but at 25% of the rate. Have the victories count for less in taking a region, maybe 25% or less. There is more that will need to be done, but that is just an example short list.

Here is a better way.

#46 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:37 AM

What is the balance in regards to which is more popular between IS and Clan and then the factions within either of them?

Edited by Deimos Alpha, 03 May 2015 - 10:44 AM.

#47 Celtic Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 507 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Operations - Tukayyid - Honolulu HI

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:44 AM

I would have dropped all weekend in CW except for my joystick issue that came about during the tournament. I have a ticket in to PGI hope they can help soon, game unplayable as is.

#48 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:08 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 03 May 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

Because tactics count a LOT more in a 30 minute game with four (usually) diverse mechs on the deck. The "real skill" is following orders and being on point.

So is a unit required? Nope, I can run alone with a variety of units and do well above average.

The BIG difference is coordination, being in the right place, in the right mech, at the right time is 75% of CW. You holier than thou solos either fail to realize this for fail to acknowledge this truth.

this is exactly what most people fail in. thats why most of this game is no fun.

you are a casual gamer? totally fine.
just accept that you wont win stuff with the typical *hop in and dont give a dime* mentality. neither in pug solo queue and especially not in CW.

do they face that fact? no, they rather blame anyone else.
if you try to help them getting better in CW they get rude.
im totally sick of it and barely drop solo after all anymore. why? no fun.

so ignorant people drive others into premades, then complain that its unfair to them that they have to face premades.
you could slap that fact into the face of them. they would then cry and troll instead of opening their eyes.
easier to be a kid than growing up.

derp....

btw: alot of people are completely burned out from CW and take a rest from it. understandable.

#49 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:20 PM

View PostJaxRiot, on 03 May 2015 - 07:40 AM, said:

Its quite the dilemma isnt it?

Most people are more casual players like me. But CW wasnt made for me or people like me, of which we are constantly reminded. Which is all fine and dandy.

So since it wasnt made for me or people like me, we stay away from it. But when we stay away from it the CW activity dies way down to what looks to me like the same hand full of units just fighting each other. Which is also fine and dandy.

But yet PGI wants me and people like me to play CW, so they have events and rewards to entice me and people like me to go play CW.

And then after the event is over, me and people like me quit playing CW again because CW wasnt made for me or people like me.

And thus the cycle continues.

Kind of a shame really. PGI has been putting so much effort into CW (which is good), but yet its avoided by most of us because it was never intended for us.

Such is life in the inner sphere.

#50 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:27 PM

View PostMar X maN, on 03 May 2015 - 05:31 AM, said:

**** you can do that? That's awesome. Would you care to show me the ropes. Sounds like stock market, only that I understand what has value and what does not.

On topic. I am back in puglandia. Where I can do what I want. Where I can drop in and out on my terms.
Where I don't need to wait for ages to drop or not get a drop at all. Where I can rush the enemy if I choose so and need not worry about my cowardly team getting picked apart at the gates over 30 minutes.

It's real easy. You get a game that has steam trading cards, you play it for a bit, then you'll have your cards. Now you can trade those cards on the market, or sell them for steam money, which will let you buy more/different cards, and when you have enough cards, you can combine them into badges, which will make future badge making generate items and coupons.

Once you're at a high enough level, some games will spawn booster packs, or reward items. These items are sometimes silly expensive, like the 200 dollar knives in CS: GO.

You're typically only really 'gambling' or 'investing' with cents, so it's pretty much harmless, but all sorts of fun.

#51 Mar-X-maN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 286 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

View PostCeltic Warrior, on 03 May 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

I would have dropped all weekend in CW except for my joystick issue that came about during the tournament. I have a ticket in to PGI hope they can help soon, game unplayable as is.

Do your axises get mixed up sometimes? This started to happen to me. Unplugging my Hotas and plugging it back in fixes it.
I suspect MWO messing up the windows driver somehow.

View PostVassago Rain, on 03 May 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

Information

Thanks mate. Now I know why people kept pestering me about my trading cards.

Edited by Mar X maN, 03 May 2015 - 12:32 PM.

#52 Hydrocarbon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:46 PM

It also doesn't help that there are some real ******* on some of the organized units. One bunch of kuritans were giving the pug's **** all through the match in several games, meanwhile MS & another group were keeping it classy.

I think one issue is the maps. They're far too focused on TDM and long-range battles. Tiaga is actually far more fun in the hills than in the city, mostly because it supports brawling more than ranging.

View PostThat Dawg, on 03 May 2015 - 04:29 AM, said:

ugh
How long did it take PGI to finally separate the solo cue from drops? and Pugland Flourished.
hint hint

The difference was there were more than 100 ppl active on a saturday night. Last night all I saw from a smoke jag perspective was one planet that had ~100 ppl on it around 6pm PST. You need to have a horse first before you can put the cart before it.

#53 Caustic Canid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

A solo queue for -actual- CW probably won't work due to sync dropping.

Putting the CW game modes into the solo/group queues and allowing mixed teams/drop decks would be the most logical next step.

No sense in letting those shiny new maps go to waste.

#54 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

As long as you play during Aussie evening or Euro morning, there's a chance to have a good match of solo vs solo. Once the north Americans are awake though, forget about it. I want to play solo. I want to play one CW match at a time. If I get stomped by other solos, so be it, but fighting against units is discouraging.

I like the idea of CW. I don't like the execution of it. Also, I'm using my Logitech HD webcam as my mic, as it's the same one that works perfectly for my business calls or for TS, and in game voice isn't working most of the time with it. I have to unplug it, disable voip, re-enable voip, etc. to make it work...from match to match...and it's frustrating to not be able to communicate.

I've got 61 mechs and 77 mechbays now, with no intention of making a purchase any time soon. I've spent about $400 on mwo since 2012, so does that make me a beached whale? Or maybe just a large dolphin? I'm the guy they really want to open up my wallet, but this current implementation of CW is just poorly thought out. It reminds me of some of the dumb ideas guys in our NYC office come up with, because they've been working with our products for over a year and still have zero understanding of our customer demographic. I can picture the Monday morning meeting with the PGI leadership: "We had 10,000 people playing CW, it's a huge success!", completely ignoring the fact that it's a ghost town on a daily basis.

#55 Mr T

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

I was the first of my friends to follow this project, back when the MW reboot trailer first came out, followed it religously till I could get in to closed beta, got my friends onboard, and now am the last one to have left it.

Its been months since I last played when I got on fto try out CW when it came out, and even before that was mostly just coming back to the site itself without actually logging in, just to read the latest patch notes. As the preorder packs piled up, with no actual end date in sight, just some vague idea that it was "limited", as PGI began to show signs that they might even bring back old packs or that they seemed to regret ever setting end dates for those, it began to tell me that thats all this game will ever be about anymore, just selling more mechs.

Just look at the front page. All but 2 of the 8 graphic feature headlines are about mechs to purchase. The others are announcing CW which is half a year old now, and the one new map thats been added in recent memory.

I just wanted a fun MW game, not something ultra specific that fit my own vision of what MWO online would be, just something I could enjoy in whatever regard. I did, for a while, but realized, as others have, that even that small bar of acceptance would not be met, and I cant keep playing this game on the empty promises of what the future may hold, especially when theres not even false promises left to look forward to.

You know what the most intriguing thing I saw recently on the road map posts was? The updated patcher. I dont even know if that means it will work faster than before, or if "updated" just means some sort of background change we wont really notice. However, just the idea, that it could possibly mean that patches would be faster was something.
I figured the positive benefit here would at least mean that when those times come, where I indecisively load up the MWO launcher before actually deciding I'd rather play a different game, I won't be tied to leaving the CPU hogging patcher open for the next hour while finding something non pc related to do, lest I almost assuredly corrupt the whole game by closing it out early. Of course that update got pushed back in the end.

The most joy that comes out of MWO for me at this point, or the poeple I played it with, is when the new packs come out, and we joke momentarily with perpetually diminishing surprise as to the ever increasing audacity of the whole thing, and making bets as to how many simultaneously overlapping preorder packs they'll end up running before finally ending the first clan pack.

I'm not even mad anymore, just dissapointed.

#56 Sarevos

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

View PostAlienized, on 03 May 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

this is exactly what most people fail in. thats why most of this game is no fun. you are a casual gamer? totally fine
just accept that you wont win stuff with the typical *hop in and dont give a dime* mentality. neither in pug solo queue and especially not in CW

Well no they wont realize anything though they'll just leave. Psychologically gaming is mostly about 3 things

Actuation - being able to do things you cant do irl
Challenge - Testing your skill and earning victory
and Status - being better than someone/something else

If you dont achieve all 3 youll find something else to do (this is why most F2P games have PVE so people who arent the best can still win and achieve the 3rd point thus spending money)

The game is supposed to be challenging? Yes but this is artificially so. There are painfully hard games but the only reason you lose in them is because you made a mistake. Games can be BRUTAL this way and yet this is still considered good game design ala DS1, DMS, DS2, BB, MH1-4.

In this game numerical advantage is key one atlas derp WILL cost 11 others victory by wasting 100 tons. This is a guaranteed loss through no fault of the other 11 even if they made no mistakes. It becomes frustrating and removes the challenge aspect because it is impossible to overcome if the other team is on par with your skill. So you remove 2 points of the triangle.

But lets assume that is a rare part of the population

For the following arguments lets assume both sides are equally skilled but 1 out of 10 players who play (only 10% im sure many would disagree with this low a number lol) are the aforementioned derps.

WARNING MATH AHEAD

Where

P(X>x) = our Derp%

P = Probability 1/10 = .1
X = Draws= 12
x = success(or failures in this case)= 1 or more derps

First we add all the chances of getting 1 or more derps

P(X > x) = P(X=1) 0.3766 + P(X=2) "0.2301"+ P(X=3) "0.0852" + P(X=4) "0.0213" + P(X=5) "0.004" + P(X=6-12) "start get incredibly small lol" = .7136

So our chance of getting a derp is ~ 71%

That means you statistically have atleast 1 player who will cost you the game each match (actually only 71% but still rather high a more often than not scenario) because there are 12 people on your team.

The only way to get around this is to control all 12 people on your team. Here is where the stomps come from. The team that is not 100% controlled is statistically disposed to lose due to the nature of total team size alone. This effects 11 other players this means pug vs FULL (i cant stress this enough 12/12 only) premade 72% of the time (statistically speaking only) would lose through no fault of their own and this is assuming the population of derps is as low as 10% the higher it is the more it scales in favor of premades.

This is bad for business as the game is basically telling pugs there is a 72% chance you will lose to a full premade (if their entire team is the same skill as YOU even if you communicate) people dont like to lose for reasons they cannot help they will leave and take their money to other places if it was a paid title it wouldnt matter you got your 50 bucks but as this is an F2P this is bad news there are two ways to fix this:

1. Remove the 10% from PVP by adding PVE:

Some werent going to provide a challenge to the hardcore crowd anyway may as well keep making money off of them and let them get their fix of victory. Also few want to farm while pvping you farm so that you can do so effectively rather than provide fodder to those with deeper (virtual) pockets. Give the PVP'ers Banners Badges and flair and the less talented still have their fun (and keep paying). This model works in many of the most popular F2P games.

2. Reduce team sizes

This does alot more than you think to remove the "there is always some a-hole ruining my carefully thought out plan".

Given the same 1/10 statistic if it was 8v8

P(X >1) =.5695

56% is still over half but not by a significant margin losing every other game due to 1 derp is much better than 2/3s of them

but 4v4 is where it really improves

P(X > 1) = .3434

34% is way better you only lose 1/3 games due to derp most of the time you are challenged fairly.

Yes I know thats what they are going for already but it makes a huge difference to how people enjoy the game through more control over win loss allowing them greater player agency and more satisfaction.

TLDR;

1.)Give the Derps PVE
or
2.)Reduce group size imo

Edited by Sarevos, 03 May 2015 - 02:53 PM.

#57 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:34 PM

holy crap learn to post.....I'm not trying to filter all of that noise.

#58 Sarevos

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 03 May 2015 - 02:34 PM, said:

holy crap learn to post.....I'm not trying to filter all of that noise.

I fixed it dont know why chrome was being about a b*tch

#59 Suzumiya Haruhi no Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 413 posts
  • Locationjapan

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:47 PM

offensive

#60 Sarevos

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostMechaNagato, on 03 May 2015 - 02:47 PM, said:

offensive

As I said Its fixed but you wont be able to tell until you reload the page =_= also i have no idea how it even decided to do that with the available text editor...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users