Sneak Peek Vitric Forge Screenshots

106 replies to this topic

#21 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:59 PM

.... Oh F* yeah! 10/10 there PGI (Well, maybe I should wait until I PLAY the map before making that call... but 10/10 presentation)

I dunno about you guys... but I'm really impressed with the thought that goes into the more alien maps... They could just paint the sky a goofy color, and some silly looking trees, and blammo! It's alien..

But, no, they are taking real geological formations and applying them in interesting ways. How many other Mechwarrior games can you go on a map and identify terrain composition? "Hey, check it out, Basalt crystals!" (Tourmaline) Or "Sweet! Bismuth! (Grim Portico)

Did you ever notice the moon on Mining Collective? Look up some time... Looks like the Event Horizon is parked on it :P

Though, the creative team were clearly playing Lost Planet 2 when they came up with Viridian Bog :P

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 04 May 2015 - 07:08 PM.

#22 Dakkss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:18 PM

Is there any hope of these CW maps making an appearance in the regular queue? All of them have a much better MechWarrior feel to them aesthetically and I'm sure a lot of them would work if you just selected a smaller portion of the map. It's disheartening seeing only CW maps come out...

Likewise it would be cool to see the regular maps become expanded for CW, but that requires a lot more work. River City and Crimson Strait would be very cool CW maps, especially with tunnels and such. Need more multi-layer maps especially for CW.

That said, great looking map! I wish I would see it but CW is just not for me.

#23 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:19 PM

looks like a fun map for me to play "late summer" when I might have a tiny reason to try CW again.

meanwhile...absolutely nothing for solo/small group players.

but yeah. it does look nice.

#24 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:24 PM

View PostOdanan, on 04 May 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

Is that a neutron star? :o

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 04 May 2015 - 05:10 PM, said:

No star of any kind looks like that, unless you're looking at it through a hell of a filter.

But, the patch notes say it's supposed to be a blue giant.
PGI just sucks at astronomy.
...Like at Canyon Network, where you can see the surfaces of those other planets/moons lit up even though the sun is behind them.

View PostDarthRevis, on 04 May 2015 - 05:25 PM, said:

I think you do sir....

Blue stars do in fact exist, O class stars which burn over 33,000 Kelvin

SCIENCE! :wub:

Posted Image

PGI, I can haz visit to star?

Posted Image

Map looks beautiful :)

#25 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:31 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 04 May 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

looks like a fun map for me to play "late summer" when I might have a tiny reason to try CW again.

meanwhile...absolutely nothing for solo/small group players.

but yeah. it does look nice.

They addressed this in the town hall... The CW maps are designed to do a very specific thing. Jist removing thd CW elements wouldn't result in a good map for regular drops, and vice-versa. Though, they will be looking at re using the styles of the maps between modes.

River City is slated to be overhauled next. The map expanded and enriched. As well as adding dynamic day/night cycles. So, maps should see an increase in variety in the next month or two.

After that, they will consider revising Forest Colony, making a new regular map, or a new CW map. Depending on where they feel the need lies.

Also, there will be 4th mode!

All of this is from memory when I was listening to the town hall, so don't take me as verbatim. Look up the notes if you wanted the official info... I may be a little off.

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 04 May 2015 - 07:36 PM.

#26 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:34 PM

Well, it looks great. Hats off to the art department, as usual.

#27 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:37 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 04 May 2015 - 07:31 PM, said:

River City is slated to be overhauled next. The map expanded and enriched. As well as adding dynamic day/night cycles. So, maps should see an increase in variety in the next month or two.

I really hope this is not a 24hr cycle otherwise Oceanic players would be stuck entirely on River City night which would just be hell.

#28 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:39 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 04 May 2015 - 07:31 PM, said:

They addressed this in the town hall... The CW maps are designed to do a very specific thing. Jist removing thd CW elements wouldn't result in a good map for regular drops, and vice-versa. Though, they will be looking at re using the styles of the maps between modes.

After that, they will consider revising Forest Colony, making a new regular map, or a new CW map. Depending on where they feel the need lies.

All of this is from memory when I was listening to the town hall, so don't take me as verbatim. Look up the notes if you wanted the official info... I may be a little off.

I'm fully aware of all that, but it doesn't change my point.

CW(designed and catered to large groups despite large groups only being a tiny fraction of the community) gets another pretty map, solo/small groups are going on 5 months now with nothing. even the bone we got thrown a few months ago with "CW 4v4 is progressing nicely" got kicked to the curb during the town hall when russ said don't expect it until late summer. They made CW in something like 3 months, but a single mode for CW is going to take 8 months or more???

pure BS.

#29 CloudAssault

Rookie

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:05 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 04 May 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

CW(designed and catered to large groups despite large groups only being a tiny fraction of the community) gets another pretty map, solo/small groups are going on 5 months now with nothing. even the bone we got thrown a few months ago with "CW 4v4 is progressing nicely" got kicked to the curb during the town hall when russ said don't expect it until late summer. They made CW in something like 3 months, but a single mode for CW is going to take 8 months or more???

pure BS.

Masterfully put. Been playing the same maps for over 5 months and quite frankly, the more I play them, the more I see all the flaws in them, and it's just unacceptable that this staleness has gone on this long. I understand the need to make new maps for CW, but those of us who could care less about it (which I believe is a decent portion of the MWO population) it really doesn't do much to put our minds at ease when they seem to be churning out CW maps with no difficulty at all. PGI has obviously decided to sideline us until they think that CW is in an acceptable state.

#30 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:10 PM

View PostCloudAssault, on 04 May 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

Been playing the same maps for over 5 months and quite frankly, the more I play them, the more I see all the flaws in them,

If you see the flaws, post them up or send them to the devs in a support ticket so that something can be done about it.. ..some of our more proactive players did just this with invisible walls on the corners/edges of geometry, which is now something being worked on and addressed by the devs...

#31 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:15 PM

View PostFupDup, on 04 May 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

Blood for the Blood God!

So I'm not the only one who wants a emperor-class titan in MWO. Mechwarrior x W40k make it happen.

#32 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:17 PM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 04 May 2015 - 05:10 PM, said:

No star of any kind looks like that, unless you're looking at it through a hell of a filter.

But, the patch notes say it's supposed to be a blue giant.
PGI just sucks at astronomy.

i just imagine it's a jupiter-like planet and we are on its moon

#33 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

With a blue star of that apparent diameter it is amazing that the planet's surface isn't molten rock!

#34 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:21 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 04 May 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

pure BS.

Well here's the thing: CW is late. Like years late. So if they don't focus on getting it up and running and out of beta, all of the players who originally signed up for this game - founders and the like - will be furious. Because the original plan was for solo queue to be a stopgap game mode until CW was ready; CW was supposed to be the 'deeper, more rich full game experience'. Except then it was decided that they would keep solo queue in addition to CW, because CW was so far behind schedule.

So if they concentrate on solo queue maps when they have a promise to keep about CW, they'll catch hell from everybody who expected CW to be an actual thing more than a year ago. Likewise, if they focus solely on CW maps, they piss off people like you who play in the solo pug and group queues only. It's a rock and hard place situation.

Don't misunderstand me - I play pug games a ton, and I really, really want some new map content there. I definitely want it more than I want the potentially lackluster Resistance 2 collection, and would prefer that they had gone for solo queue maps plus CW content instead of CW content and new mech packs that are not that different from existing mechs.

But out of all of the things they said they would do when the game was still in an embryonic stage, CW is the furthest behind schedule. So that's what they're concentrating on. I'm not saying that's right or wrong - I wasn't there when the game was just in its infancy. I'm just trying to explain why they are focusing so much on CW.

That said I really want a solo queue map based on Grim Portico. Sooooo, so much.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by grendeldog, 04 May 2015 - 08:21 PM.

#35 ConquerorClass

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:23 PM

View PostOdanan, on 04 May 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

Is that a neutron star? :o

just a BLUE GIANT.... google bro, your new besty

#36 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:24 PM

Awesome job! The map looks incredible with blue star! :D

#37 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:34 PM

That looks awesome.

And gives me an idea, might it be possible to have different skies for different planets?

So for example, we'll have all of the maps have their layouts Vault, Rift, Forge, Taiga, Portico and Springs, where on one world, say Harvest, all of the drops would have a yellow star for that world.

Then say we go to Rockland and it could have the Blue star in the sky, with the same selection of map layouts.

Than a third world could have say an orange star in the sky for its various drops.

This way existing assets can be reused and extend some extra variety, and if players are fighting for a world it feels like they are dropping in different places of that world.

Sorta like if we use Earth as an example, one map layout is in Iceland, another is in New Zealand, one is the Badlands, one is Antarctica and so on, all with the same style of sky, with the sky being different for another garden planet in the Inner Sphere.

Hope my crazy idea is making some sense!

#38 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:35 PM

View Postgrendeldog, on 04 May 2015 - 08:21 PM, said:

CW is the furthest behind schedule. So that's what they're concentrating on.

which would be fine, if it were playable for solo/small groups all the time, rather than just during the occasional even.

so you know, maybe it would make more sense to hurry up with the 4v4 thing and make that a priority, instead of shiny new maps only being used by a fraction of the players.

#39 ConquerorClass

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:39 PM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 04 May 2015 - 06:44 PM, said:

so WHY do stars appear red and blueish to the naked eye from millions of light years away...?

#40 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:46 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 04 May 2015 - 08:35 PM, said:

which would be fine, if it were playable for solo/small groups all the time, rather than just during the occasional even.

so you know, maybe it would make more sense to hurry up with the 4v4 thing and make that a priority, instead of shiny new maps only being used by a fraction of the players.

This point is 100% valid; I want to see 4v4 as soon as possible. Yesterday, preferably.

EDIT: On the topic of this map, I am curious about the heat. Looks like it's in a vacuum, but also super close to the star.

Edited by grendeldog, 04 May 2015 - 08:47 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users