What Is Your Relation Between Mwo/mw And Tt?

76 replies to this topic

#41 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:49 AM

My order of exposure to Mech Warrior

I got a battle tech thor toy, it was based off of the cartoon, I was 6 it was awesome!
http://www.blujay.co...5011500-4984834

Then I played Mech warrior 2 at my friends house, he got the Clan Ghost Bear expansion next (which is why I'm die hard CGB)

Built lego Mechs from then on, made some really cool replicas and orginals.

Bought MW3 and had a blast, I remember stepping on little foot soldiers the most lol. (that was nice and bloody)

Bought some Battle tech minis, when I visited Portland, a really random bunch. Bushwhacker, Nova, Viking, cobra, Avatar, didnt have anyone to play with so my brother and I just panted em up for fun.

Then it was MW4 and all the expansions, and my first tme actually jong a CGB unit, I was about 12.

Then nothing for about 10 years until MWO, and now a piece of my life is back, and I couldnt be happier.

#42 ArchAngelWC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 230 posts
  • Locationaboard the Smoke Jaguar Warship, "Sabre Hawk" in orbit above the PGI office

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:52 AM

Ok...lets see if I can remember everything..

Mechcommander...was recruited into Wolf's Dragoons by Radargear in Starlance...much wooting was heard..
Became Starlance rules admin for Mechcommander..
Joined Commie Norizugchi's CSJ in TFS planetary league for Mechcommander
earned Osis bloodname which I've used ever since in almost every game in some way

helped to establish TCL ladder league for Mechcommander

expanded to MW3/4 admin/player/moderator for Starlance...also Starlance Hall of famer for MW4
was going to be one of the head admins for Mechcommander 2...but I think we all know how that went :P

became ilKhan of the Clans (SJ) and led the only successful invasion of the Inner Sphere in any planetary BT online game I've known of.. in Mechlord Planetary league..(Comstar really is a Clan...they just take some convincing)

Played MPBT3025 which was awesome
played megamek/etc since I found mechcommander
played Neveron and owned the most militarily scary merc unit for a spell operating as a RCT of the FMLL/WoB (yes you read that right..the Free Masonic Lodge of Light...and WoB)

and then came this...which in many ways I still hate but I will tolerate (at present) because im so tired of not playing mechwarrior...hopefully PGI fixes the game and makes it Battletech again instead of Big Stompy Robots online...and gets some random map generating tech for christ sakes....

Edited by ArchAngelWC, 06 May 2015 - 06:58 AM.

#43 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:56 AM

Table Top
Battledroids tabletop
Battletech/Citytech/Aerotech -- I stopped playing shortly after clans were introduced, ruined the game then too
Mechwarrior RPG
Solaris VII
Dark Age Clix

Simulator Video games
Crescent Hawks Inception
Mechwarrior 2-4
Mech Comander 1-2
MWO -- reduced playtime after clans introduced too

Turn-based computer games
Megamech
Megamech ATB campaign manager

Probably be easier to say I played everything except MPBT3025 and the CCG

Still waiting for someone to pick the the CarWars, Autoduel, Interstate76 franchise.

#44 AccessTime

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

The thing about the unseen -- in the states, early incarnations of battletech ("battledroids" in 1984, http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Battledroids) predated the release of robotech by roughly a year (1985). So most of us believed it was actually robotech that had copied the mechs from battletech, not the other way around. The Warhammer, Crusader, Phoenix Hawk, Wasp/Stinger; these were all common mechs in the games we played during that time. I remember when B:TAS came out several years later, battletech finally got an animation of its own, albeit a pretty bad one.

I remember the card game too, during the CCG boom that followed MTG, but I never went for many of those things.

The main thing I remember about battletech was the long-term campaigns we played, mechwarrior style (where each person in the group plays one or two mechwarriors of a unit in an evolving world). Since this was succession wars mechs could not be built, other than the mech you started with, it had to be repaired, upgraded, or replaced through salvage. This is why MWO world has always seemed "off" to me, mechs are far too common and given to just about anyone (ie. 'trial' mechs).

Edited by AccessTime, 06 May 2015 - 07:05 AM.

#45 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostDivine Retribution, on 06 May 2015 - 05:19 AM, said:

Never played TT. Got into big stompy robots with the Robotech RPG (and novels and anime)

I remember the Robotech RPG! After completing the Macross, Southern Cross and Invid Invasion campaigns, one of us decided to run a madcap version of the Macross campaign where the Bridge Bunnies were hentai lolitas, Lisa Hayes was a dominatrix and Max Sterling was an amazing pilot because he was stoned all the time and you could never see him because his cockpit was always full of smoke. :lol:

#46 dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLaborer caste mess hall

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:18 AM

AFF!

#47 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:30 AM

MW2, MW3, MW4, MW4 Mercs, PvP Merc Unit member for all. MC gold, MC2, MA, MWLL. Sci-Fi reader-fan.

We were actually discussing MW5 as an MMO much like MWO 3-4 months before MWO was announced over on Dropship Command. You know who you are. :ph34r:

#48 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:34 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 06 May 2015 - 04:41 AM, said:

Had a friend who played BT in high school, dabbled (I was into Car Wars).

View PostAphoticus, on 06 May 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

O.G.R.E and Carwars began my journey into non-hit-point pool combat oriented games.

Car Wars was a awesome game. I remember spending hours a day just designing vehicles. :)
Posted Image

#49 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:35 AM

BattleDroids - before the George Lucas i own the word Droids law suit forcing BD to change the name to Battle tech.
Crescent hawks inception on 486 pc clone
played all pc games and read everything all the way up to the tech update that added acid rounds....put that book down and walked away. till MWO.

#50 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 May 2015 - 05:11 AM, said:

Discovered TT Btech in 1987.

I played my first BT match in 1986, I think, at a gaming convention. After the game was over, I went to one of the shops and bought the 2nd edition box. It was love at first sight :)

Then followed a lot of rulebooks and TROs; CityTech, AeroTech, BattleForce, even Solaris VII (though that one sucked), and of course the original PnP RPG which to this day is the true MechWarrior for me.

I played the Crescent Hawk series, missed MW1, played MW2, missed MW3 and 4.

Became a Founder for MWO on the promise of it being the "Closest to TT" interpretation yet.

Same here.

Well. That was pretty true in Closed Beta, and progressively less with every patch since. Some has been necessary because TT rules don't always translate, some, I feel was less well thought out.

Sadly, I think we got too much of the latter than the former. If they'd e.g. implemented a TT-style heat penalty scale, Ghost Heat wouldn't need to exist. If they'd cut the damage/heat on weapons by the same ratio they increased RoF, double armour wouldn't be necessary.

And so on and so forth.

Still, it's a fun game, and I hope it prospers.

I hope, but I don't believe.

#51 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:41 AM

View PostTriordinant, on 06 May 2015 - 08:34 AM, said:

Car Wars was a awesome game. I remember spending hours a day just designing vehicles. :)
Posted Image

Had an entire folder in my Trapper Keeper just for that.

I would legendarily found Autoduel Online so fast it'd make a gauss round jealous...

#52 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:44 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 06 May 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

I would legendarily found Autoduel Online so fast it'd make a gauss round jealous...

To any would-be developers out there:

Posted Image

Edited by Triordinant, 06 May 2015 - 08:50 AM.

#53 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:55 AM

Played TT at a friend's trailer when I was like 8 I think, then nothing for a while, then:
MW2:Mercs -> MW2:31st Century Combat, MW2:Ghost Bear's Legacy, MW3, MW3:Pirate's Moon, MechCommander, Mult-Player BattleTech:3025 (MPBT:3025), MechAssault (gag), MW4:Vengeance, MW4:Black Knight, MW4:Mercs, MWO, MW Tactics.

Somewhat chronologically. I think.

#54 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:10 AM

I actually liked mechassault, and ma2.

I know I'm a minority, but it wasn't a bad game, nor a terrible bt game.
A little silly and a little cartoonish, but not terrible, and introduced plenty of new people to the franchise.

#55 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:09 AM

View PostVandul, on 06 May 2015 - 05:07 AM, said:

I started with TT and then found out about MW/MWO. I still play TT(/mm) today.

OP, if you use Facebook, there are a ton of user groups for TT, Alpha Strike, etc... You can usually find or advertise players for your locale there.

I tend to veer away from social networking. Never had a facebook and I don't really intend on it. Same thing with twitter, etc. Besides, it's more fun when you convert your friends, and as such, that is my master plan. I've hooked one of my friends on the entire concept of Battletech, from TT to MWO to lore, and another two as a casual TT player. Perhaps one day I could start a club in my school for Battletech matches and such.

View PostArchAngelWC, on 06 May 2015 - 06:52 AM, said:

Ok...lets see if I can remember everything..

Mechcommander...was recruited into Wolf's Dragoons by Radargear in Starlance...much wooting was heard..
Became Starlance rules admin for Mechcommander..
Joined Commie Norizugchi's CSJ in TFS planetary league for Mechcommander
earned Osis bloodname which I've used ever since in almost every game in some way

helped to establish TCL ladder league for Mechcommander

expanded to MW3/4 admin/player/moderator for Starlance...also Starlance Hall of famer for MW4
was going to be one of the head admins for Mechcommander 2...but I think we all know how that went :P

became ilKhan of the Clans (SJ) and led the only successful invasion of the Inner Sphere in any planetary BT online game I've known of.. in Mechlord Planetary league..(Comstar really is a Clan...they just take some convincing)

Played MPBT3025 which was awesome
played megamek/etc since I found mechcommander
played Neveron and owned the most militarily scary merc unit for a spell operating as a RCT of the FMLL/WoB (yes you read that right..the Free Masonic Lodge of Light...and WoB)

and then came this...which in many ways I still hate but I will tolerate (at present) because im so tired of not playing mechwarrior...hopefully PGI fixes the game and makes it Battletech again instead of Big Stompy Robots online...and gets some random map generating tech for christ sakes....

Neveron... I've heard brief mentions of it, but since the site is down, never got to check it out. What was it?

Posted Image

Damn, and I thought Battletech looked 80's.
Posted Image

Edited by Burktross, 06 May 2015 - 11:19 AM.

#56 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:40 AM

Played TT in the 80's. Started when it was called Battle Droids.

Quit playing in 1990 or so, which was before the clans came out.

Never liked FPS, so I never played any MW title. Played both MechCommander games and loved them. They were actually my intro to the clans.

Had a friend trying Mwo, pestered me to try it, despite my dislike of FPS. A year later I'm still playing (after 3 early ragequitting incidents) and the friend who dragged me into ragequit for good after the first month.

Got my brother to try it for a couple months, but the brutal NPE drove him off. I've tried like hell to get other friends playing, but between the NPE and the 2 man group experience (constant roflstomps), I cannot get a single RL friend to play. My teen son plays, however, and he loves it so much he got the TT intro set a few weeks ago :)

#57 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:41 AM

MW (old PC game) and TT at almost same time. I was a broke kid, and my friend had a baddass PC (for the time) with MW on it, (think it was mercs) and I couldnt afford a PC but I could afford some mini's and books. A friend nearby had a few and we played very haphazardly with our limited number of books and units (and cut outs on paper for what we didn't have like tanks and stuff).

Tanks, choppers generic ground forces played a pretty big role in all of these things back then. I really-wish we could get them in MWO, just as fodder, not even playable.

I really feel that is missing from the flavor in MWO, big-time.

#58 Shae Starfyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:41 PM

Posted Image

My crew back in the day took Carwars and mixed in a d20 game for the characters and merged in Gamma World elements... completely new game; it was a nice ammalgamation of genre and combat rules.

#59 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:53 PM

Can't find the option for people who played CBT back in the day but haven't done for over 2 decades but still play MW franchise games.

#60 Hardac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

Never played TT. I did own a TRO book though. Thus began my love affair with stompy mechs. I've played most of the video games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users