What Is Your Relation Between Mwo/mw And Tt?

76 replies to this topic

#61 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

My dad played the mechwarrior games before I could remember, so I never saw much of MW2. For me,

MW3 (was too little to understand a lot of the menus)
Mech Commander 1 and 2 (Such great games, I'd definitely recommend picking them up sometime)
MW4

#62 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:32 PM

My friends father owned a game store, so I went to work for her Dad on weekends.
there was Battle droids and I thought whjat a stupid name, but some poor 'fool' bought it, and up come battle tech which was exactly the same game but renamed and I bought it on a whim because of lucas arts suing over the droid copyright 0.o

I liked it I thought the game worked because hitting was so random you could shoot at the same type of mech and an ac20 in theory could one shot while the next one could stand for hit after hit after hit.

I bought tro3025, the street fighting addition areomech the space version didn't bother with the naval one, went on to the MechWarrior RPG the merc handbook, bought a few of the fictional novels which I didn't go much on, though of course it had a Victor in sword and dagger. the source books for the houses with the exception of the lio one that got snaffled by a friend.
Or course I bought the ral partha models, the latest lot I don't rate highly.

Then the clans arrived and I saw marketing buggering up the Franchise with its power creep, and incredibly poor back story, and lost interest, and as much as the rabid clan fans hate what PGI have done to them, for me I think they have created something sensible, that's kept me wanting to play, and even buy the clan mechs

Mech comander and MW2 got me involved again even though everything seemed to be davion v the clans, I got to kick clan butt.

Then a big gap until this came along as I couldn't stand the newer even more power creep mechs that were arriving in the tro's

#63 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

Started out when it was Battledroids, played up through the Clan Invasion, pretty much stopped the TT game after that, none of us could stand the bs coming from FASA and the later companies, way too much Church of the Munchkin for us.

All the Crescent Hawk games, the MPBT on GEnie, the Solaris version later on, the entire MW series from the first to this, including the MechCommanders, the MPBT 3025 that EA worked on as well. Even got MechAssault for my boys when it came out, played it for 5 minutes and never touched it again. My boys looked at the ads for MA2 and said no thanks. I've played MegaMek, MWLL and even some old ASCII stuff for TT style play a long time ago, pretty much if it was a computerized/video version of BTech/MW, I tried it at least with 1 exception...I never got to do the Pods.

#64 Serpieri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:36 PM

Hmm lets see...

Battletech: The Crescent Hawk Inception
Battletech: The Crescent Hawk Revenge
Battletech: A game of Armored Combat
Mechwarrior
Mechwarrior 2
Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Beat Legacy
Mechwarrior 3
Mechwarrior 3: Pirates Moon
Mechwarrior 4: Vengence
Mechwarrior 4: Black Knight
Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries
Mechommander
Mechcommander 2

Battletech 2nd edition
Battletech 3rd edition
Battletech 4th edition
Mechwarrior
Mechwarrior 2nd edition
Mechwarrior 3rd Edition

1st Somerset Strikers - Cartoon and the Toys

For a Game that has been around for more than 30 years it's a shame that PGI has failed to learn from it's successors.

#65 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:39 PM

MW2 - present on the PC. I didn't even know a table top game existed until a few years ago.

#66 Shiven

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:48 PM

Never played the TT version, but my love of all mechs started with playing Mechwarrior on the SNES (93') as a kid.

I've been a fan of walking tanks ever since.

Edited by Shiven, 06 May 2015 - 03:39 PM.

#67 AccessTime

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:54 PM

Oh one thing I forgot to mention, there was a "virtual world" in our mall that had some kind of pod-based battletech game. We played there once or twice, it was like $7. for 10 minutes so more of a novelty, nothing kids could afford to do on a regular basis.

As depicted in this video:

#68 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:28 PM

View Poststjobe, on 06 May 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

I played my first BT match in 1986, I think, at a gaming convention. After the game was over, I went to one of the shops and bought the 2nd edition box. It was love at first sight :)

Then followed a lot of rulebooks and TROs; CityTech, AeroTech, BattleForce, even Solaris VII (though that one sucked), and of course the original PnP RPG which to this day is the true MechWarrior for me.

I played the Crescent Hawk series, missed MW1, played MW2, missed MW3 and 4.

Same here.

Sadly, I think we got too much of the latter than the former. If they'd e.g. implemented a TT-style heat penalty scale, Ghost Heat wouldn't need to exist. If they'd cut the damage/heat on weapons by the same ratio they increased RoF, double armour wouldn't be necessary.

And so on and so forth.

I hope, but I don't believe.

I would have preferred a reduced rof to papercut weapons. I sincerely HATE that damage model. An AC20 should be fearsome. The damage reduction rules makes everything DPS, and to me, that's boring. Situational CoF, recoil, and longer cooldowns, particularly on big guns, I think would have worked better, and allowed individual weapon types their flavor, which is one of the things I do think PGI got right, conceptually.

#69 h0UNd

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 81 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

Man this thread so much win.. (BT classic, Car wars, Robotech RPG...)

I'm with Triordinant. BTech (ver 2,), Mechwarrior RPG...

I loved Crescent Hawks Inception. I was quite unimpressed at the time with MechWarrior, but by the time MW2 came I had warmed to it (PC's just seemed so limiting to me at that time, being the jaded user of a TRS80 Mdl. II almost ten years earlier).

I have always been amused at how the name for the RPG element of BTech was used to market a PC game to a new audience (only to have people stare blankly at me when I mention Battletech). Funny thing is as much as I played MW and MW2 were such minor events to me in a long line the timeline of BT products and for a long time I saw Mech Assault as a smear on the game. Followed the development of MWLL religiously and almost stopped playing AAA titles altogether. I find MWO accessible and nowhere near as addictive as I found other MMO/MOBA' s (looking at you wargaming) - and that at the moment is a good thing.

Edited by h0UNd, 06 May 2015 - 03:51 PM.

#70 ArchAngelWC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 230 posts
  • Locationaboard the Smoke Jaguar Warship, "Sabre Hawk" in orbit above the PGI office

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

View PostBurktross, on 06 May 2015 - 11:09 AM, said:

I tend to veer away from social networking. Never had a facebook and I don't really intend on it. Same thing with twitter, etc. Besides, it's more fun when you convert your friends, and as such, that is my master plan. I've hooked one of my friends on the entire concept of Battletech, from TT to MWO to lore, and another two as a casual TT player. Perhaps one day I could start a club in my school for Battletech matches and such.

Neveron... I've heard brief mentions of it, but since the site is down, never got to check it out. What was it?

Damn, and I thought Battletech looked 80's.
Posted Image

imagine all the clans/inner sphere/mercs/wobbies/etc etc all on a single planet....
full economy simulation so you needed locate/hold/gather resources or buy from someone else...
build factories to produce *insert every BT mech/veh/infantry*
and then you fight megamek style on a giant hexbased map with literally thousands of units at a time...game had simple AI and yada yada...

IT was pretty cool except the Admins were greedy ******** who like PGI kept trying to find a way to squeeze money from the community as opposed to fixing the game so people would donate freely

one of the players bought it off of them....he's trying to get it set back up but well that costs money and I dont think he is anticipating profit lol

Edited by ArchAngelWC, 06 May 2015 - 04:34 PM.

#71 darkchylde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:31 PM

My first Introduction to Battetech was Table Top which started out as a hobby building/painting the miniatures and battling it out with friends and other gamers at the local store. And to this date I'm still very protective of who gets to put their hands on them. Always sided with DCMS for the IS and Nova Cats for the Clans so I'm not surprised that those factions joined together. Anyways, here is my list.

Board Games

Battletech 2nd to 4th edition
Mechwarrior 1st to 3rd edition
Battletech Collectible Card Game
Battleforce
The Succession Wars
Mechwarrior: Dark Age
Mechwarrior: Age of Destruction

Video Games

Battletech: The Crescent Hawk Inception
Battletech: The Crescent Hawk Revenge
Battletech: A game of Armored Combat
Mechwarrior
Mechwarrior 2
Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Beat Legacy
Mechwarrior 3
Mechwarrior 3: Pirates Moon
Mechwarrior 4: Vengence
Mechwarrior 4: Black Knight
Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries
Mechommander
Mechcommander 2

Never played Mechassault due to it being xbox only.

Edited by darkchylde, 06 May 2015 - 05:32 PM.

#72 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

View Posth0UNd, on 06 May 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

Man this thread so much win.. (BT classic, Car wars, Robotech RPG...)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#73 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:56 PM

I started with BattleTech (the miniatures), though we rarely actually used miniatures. That evolved into MechWarrior (the role-playing game). I didn't play either one all that much, though, until we started working on the BattleTech TCG at Wizards of the Coast. That revived playing BattleTech (3rd Edition, as I recall) and also led to 4200+ missions in the Virtual World BattleTech pods. I was the first (and one of only two) 14-time Master in the pods (Tesla v4.6-v4.10). I never passed in the Owens or Kotori, and never had the chance to test in the Zanin Neko or Mischief. The other 14-timer (Bite Me/Pharoah from Denver, if he's out there) passed in the Zanin Neko and Mischief, but not the Blackhawk or Nova.

I started playing the computer games with MechWarrior 2, then 3, then 4. I held 3 of the top 10 positions on the MW4 Team Attrition leaderboard including 1st and 3rd for ~2 years. 2nd was a unit-mate.

I also played MechCommander and MechCommander 2. Really enjoyed those and wish they'd make more.

Never played the abomination that was MechAssault.

"Roadkill" is my old MechWarrior RPG character. He started out in the DCMS and eventually made Sho Sa in the 2nd Sword of Light. He was given the honorary rank of Major in the Knights of Davion for heroic service. At one point he was "captured" by the Ghost Bears (which was deliberate in order to infiltrate the Clans), challenged for rank, and eventually rose to the rank of Star Captain.

Ah, the good ol' days. :)

#74 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:19 PM

Only pc games... mw / mc / mwo...

A friend was nice enough to wave me away from mwt

#75 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:34 PM

Original Mechwarrior PC game but with no instruction/code book. Hit the stories and found Battletech.
  • So played all the MW PC games from the original to Mekteks MW4-Mercs, Crescent Hawks Inception/Revenge, etc. The Sega one (shudders).
  • Mechcommanders games - They were ok, really preferred the 1st Person games.
  • Played the Battletech/Mechwarrior/Solaris TT/RPG - have most of the books and tons of miniatures
  • Own/read almost all the novels.
  • Played MultiPlayer Battletech (MPBT):
    • Original on GEnie servers (EGA MPBT 3025) $6 non-prime/$18 prime time rates (normal local business hours were Primetime)
    • SVGA MPBT 3025 > Ended up becoming just MPBT Solaris after issues w/3rd party programmers for the CW portion - Prodigy/Earthlink-AOL to Gamestorm
    • EA's MPBT 3025 - only had a temp CW attachment, again issues w/3rd party programmers not delivering.
    • PGI's MWO
  • The Virtual World Battletech Pods several times in Dallas - Took nephew and we played tons of games over a few days. He made the final choice between the VW and Six Flags. We only went to Six Flags one day... :)

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 06 May 2015 - 09:35 PM.

#76 Mar-X-maN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 286 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

Started with the novels, Grey Death was one of the first. MW2-MW4, in between CBT,
Crescent Hawks Revenge, MechCommander, MW Tactics.

Recently repurchased CBT starter box and rulebooks cause I lost my stuff because of attic or moving into another house reasons or some such.

#77 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

-MW2
-K'NEX Mad Cat for Christmas
-TT TRO 3025
-first set of minis, 4 AWS-8Qs
-MW3
-TT TRO 3050
-MW4
-MW4:Mercs
-MW:LL
-MWO

I love both TT and the video games. But to me, they are totally separate entities.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users