Why Pgi Should Say Why People Are Banned From The Game.

232 replies to this topic

#1 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

EDIT - Seems to be confirmed by PGI the person was banned for cheating. And all new banned cheaters will say so on the ban. http://mwomercs.com/...-on-cheat-tools

"
Last Friday, we enacted the first ban of a 'competitive-tier' player entirely for their use of a cheat tool. From an outside perspective, there was no indication that this player had been banned specifically for cheating; their forum profile simply showed the standard 'Banned' Group and Member Title. Word spread rather quickly about this ban of a 'high-profile' player, and the publicly unstated reason for the ban led to a fair number of doubts, questions, and speculations.

Going forward, all accounts that have been banned for cheating will have a 'Banned - Cheater' designation applied to their forum profile in place of their Group and Member Title."

---------------------- End Edit

>> No names given in post to stay away from the no name and shame policy.<<

>>Please do not name any one in this thread you think was cheating.<<

Shorter version for skimmers.

Here is why it can be important and not just about gossip.

1. Player playing in tournaments for money.
2. PGI wants to show they are banning cheaters.
3. Player did not cheat and PGI can clear their name.

Well since a certain high profile competitive player was banned yesterday its got me thinking. It is best for the banned players and game for people to know why. When PGI does not say why they are banned most people assume cheating. If them or their friends say it was for being a jerk in email or trolling etc many people will assume they are covering up for their friend.

Also for PGI I think it would be good for the community to know why PGI is banning people. Also would be good for the community to know if PGI are finding and banning cheaters.

Any way just my thoughts.

Edited by XX Sulla XX, 11 May 2015 - 11:14 PM.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:51 PM

Huh? I never assume it's because they were cheating, and I always assume it's because they were an *******, either in chat or whatever else. It's amazing how many people are totally unable to behave themselves with some measure of civility.

#3 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:55 PM

Huh? I never assume it's because they were cheating, and I always assume it's because they were an *******, either in chat or whatever else. It's amazing how many people are totally unable to behave themselves with some measure of civility.
Notice I did not say every one asumes. :) And most people are not banned for being trolls and jerks in game. It happens a lot more on the forums and they get forum banned but not game banned. Either way and no matter what I think personally it would be better for PGI just to say why.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:18 PM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 09 May 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

Notice I did not say every one asumes. :) And most people are not banned for being trolls and jerks in game. It happens a lot more on the forums and they get forum banned but not game banned. Either way and no matter what I think personally it would be better for PGI just to say why.

You know, TBH, I just figure when some prominent person gets banned...they probably done screwed up. And life goes on.

#5 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

Ya I don't think Pgi cares about cheating lol.

#6 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:24 PM

Even if PGI said why, people who still make assumptions.

I found out about what the OP is referring to earlier and went digging to find out just wtf everyone was bitching about. I came to the conclusion that it's utterly moronic. It doesn't affect you, so why get hot and bothered about it?

If you suspect someone is cheating, report them and PGI will do what they do.

You'd think this was a group of young teenagers, the amount of gossip that gets thrown around here and reddit. Not a mature gaming community.

Edited by Lunatech, 09 May 2015 - 01:24 PM.

#7 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 May 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

You know, TBH, I just figure when some prominent person gets banned...they probably done screwed up. And life goes on.

Yeah. I don't even really care why.

I can say with complete honesty: I've been on the internet and message boards very nearly for as long as they've existed, and in that time? I've never been banned. Ever. From anything.

If people do get banned, I assume they did something stupid. And why they got banned doesn't even really matter to me; though I do take it as some measure of a character flaw. If I know the person or care about them at all, I may ask them why... but I don't really care why a stranger gets banned. And "prominent player" is meaningless here; the best players in the game are no more or less important than the worst.

Now all that said, I don't think PGI should say why someone was banned. If you don't know the person well enough to ask them personally, then you don't really need to know.

View PostLunatech, on 09 May 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

Even if PGI said why, people who still make assumptions.

I found out about what the OP is referring to earlier and went digging to find out just wtf everyone was bitching about. I came to the conclusion that it's utterly moronic. It doesn't affect you, so why get hot and bothered about it?

If you suspect someone is cheating, report them and PGI will do what they do.

You'd think this was a group of young teenagers, the amount of gossip that gets thrown around here and reddit. Not a mature gaming community.

There are mature gaming communities on reddit? I've never seen one.

#8 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 09 May 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

There are mature gaming communities on reddit? I've never seen one.

I was making a sweeping remark about the MWO community in general.

But the Elite: Dangerous reddit pages aren't too bad. Certainly better than the MWO pages...

#9 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:33 PM

Well, even though said individual was banned from the game (whoever he was...), they were still a customer of PGI.

To go onto the forum and publicly blacklist that individual, even by their screen name, is not exactly the best customer relations strategy.

Also, PGI could potentially be viewed as releasing customer sensitive information to the public without their consent. I'm not sure if saying "so-and-so was banned for cheating" would run contrary to rules like PIPEDA, but I'm not a lawyer and I doubt PGI would want to poke a potential hornet's nest.

Edited by TripleEhBeef, 09 May 2015 - 01:36 PM.

#10 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

I have seen the video of that specific player. I have seen some GIFS and more. I even followed the whole discussion on Reddit.

I like riots. Just i like to follow news. The amount of accusations is too damn high.

The player is banned. Not sure for what. Guess time will learn.

Edited by Sarlic, 09 May 2015 - 01:40 PM.

#11 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

I cant speak for the whole community but personally I dont really pay much attention to who got banned or why.

If someone gets banned I just assume that they pushed the rules too far or flat out broke them, and it doesnt really matter which ones.

But in any case, I dont feel that PGI owes me any explanation

Edit- Wouldnt that be Naming and Shaming anyway? Which would be against their own forum rules?

Edited by JaxRiot, 09 May 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#12 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:53 PM

Here is why it can be important and not just about gossip.

1. Player playing in tournaments for money.
2. PGI wants to show they are banning cheaters.
3. Player did not cheat and PGI can clear their name.

Also many games are public about cheaters being banned without hurting the game.

#13 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

If someone did get banned it was most likely cheating. They warn people for general bad behavior which is almost always enough. By they I mean online games.

I am not sure about warnings leading up this but usually its a 1 year ban for cheating then account ban for good if they come back after a year and start cheating again. If there are warnings before that I dont know.

Edited by Johnny Z, 09 May 2015 - 02:09 PM.

#14 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 09 May 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

If someone did get banned it was most likely cheating. They warn people for general bad behavior which is almost always enough. By they I mean online games.

I am not sure about warnings leading up this but usually its a 1 year ban for cheating then account ban for good if they come back after a year and start cheating again. If there are warnings before that I dont know.

I've known of a LOT of people who've been banned for TKing.

#15 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:16 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 09 May 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

I've known of a LOT of people who've been banned for TKing.

I am sorry to hear that. Never been banned myself in any game and I have nearly no patience with tkers myself. Friendly fire in battle is some excuse happens alot but out of battle friendly fire is hard to ignore especially the second time in a row.

#16 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:26 PM

I have to say I never notice unless someone post about it, and causes drama ,and I don't usually care, its rare for whatever reason for it to not be totally deserved, companies don't ban paying customers for fun.

SOE life banned several high class Everquest guilds over the years for exploiting the game, one japanese guild that was banned exploited a boss, on an expansion, they were consulted on in its creation..something involving a dragon and a dead zone under a bridge if I remember correctly.

World of tanks had a name and shame policy, that was stopped for legal reasons again IIRC

To be honest there is no need to say why. The banned person knows what they did, there is a method of appeal, and giving details to us isn't going to change things, but could very easily devolve into a he didn't do this, yes he did, no he didn't argument.

#17 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:47 PM

If anything, just announce those that were banned for cheating. That way people who are banned for something else don't have their rep smeared as cheaters, and the player base can be certain that cheating will get you banned (and avoid it).

Hell, do a name and shame wall in the Announcements section.

My philosophy on hacks is that its not a matter of *if* you get caught, but of how long until you get caught.

Edited by Fenrisulvyn, 09 May 2015 - 02:47 PM.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:54 PM

View PostCathy, on 09 May 2015 - 02:26 PM, said:

To be honest there is no need to say why. The banned person knows what they did, there is a method of appeal, and giving details to us isn't going to change things, but could very easily devolve into a he didn't do this, yes he did, no he didn't argument.

What?!?!?!?!?

Fine upstanding MWO citizens could possibly twist and misrepresent things for their own petty agendas?!?!?!!' Never! Why look just how credible and reliable the MWO Reddit crowd is! Pillars of the community!

#19 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,954 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 09 May 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

Yeah. I don't even really care why.

I can say with complete honesty: I've been on the internet and message boards very nearly for as long as they've existed, and in that time? I've never been banned. Ever. From anything.

If people do get banned, I assume they did something stupid...
[...]
Now all that said, I don't think PGI should say why someone was banned. If you don't know the person well enough to ask them personally, then you don't really need to know.

Apparently when you tell people in League of Legends that they are the people Margaret Sanger warned us about, the Lynch Club Tribunal takes it poorly. =) Of course, it looks poorly on lots of things, but I digress. The point is, I've never been banned either - and from my experiences both sides of the experience, I know that even if I wouldn't agree with it, there is always a reason.

Back to PGI's policy, that's pretty much the industry standard. Not releasing specific reasons shields companies from possibly frivolous lawsuits and saves them the PR effort of defending their decision from the ignorant masses who feel compelled and qualified to have an opinion - like us! =)

#20 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:56 PM

If anything, just announce those that were banned for cheating. That way people who are banned for something else don't have their rep smeared as cheaters, and the player base can be certain that cheating will get you banned (and avoid it).

Hell, do a name and shame wall in the Announcements section.

My philosophy on hacks is that its not a matter of *if* you get caught, but of how long until you get caught.
Works for me just name those banned for cheating some place.

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users