124 replies to this topic

#1 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:17 AM

Just thought of starting a rant/discussion about the 'mech models in the game.
I know, it's too late, the models aren't going to change, but that doesn't mean we can't think about it?
So anyway, what mech(s) do you, guys, think need re-modelling the most? Let's include everything, from just the Mech sizes, to their proportions, to weapon models (I'm looking at you Jagermech), to even complete overhauls (if you think there's a mech that is THAT bad) or maybe even just their animations.

I'll be starting with the fatdraw, eh i mean Quickdraw.
Because it, personally, looks like it'd need the most help with it. It's horribly oversized and even though the detailing of the mech is quite nice, the proportions of it are way off, especially when compared to its concept art. It no longer looks like a sleek, fast, agile, jumping 60 ton (which is barely a heavy mech) mech and instead it's a wide, fat, assault mech sized monstrosity that stands as if it has shat its pants (yeaaaah, the thread about the bent knees sort of reminded me of how bad Quickdraw got beaten with the ugly-stick).

What i'd propose (which would never happen) is to, first and foremost, make it smaller. Make it the size of a 60 ton mech. Then, i'd simply adjust the proportions of the mech, because the model itself is great, but the proportions just fail to deliver:
-The arms are too large and hang way too low. Soo i'd simply shrink them down. Not only it would look better and more like the concept (and the original TRO) it would also help the gameplay (higher mounted weapons are always better)
-The torso and the head is too wide, much wider than the concept (honestly, it looks like it was made and then stretched for some reason, i can't fathom)
-And lastly, the legs are just too thick. Though i had this gripe with the concept art too, but the model has legs that are even thicker! I mean, have you seen original TROs? Quickdraw's legs are thin as all hell!

I had way too much time on my hands so i decided to use my limited image-editing software skills to stretch and scale an Image of the Quickdraw to show, how i wish it looked instead of how it looks right now.
Posted Image

Anyway, what about you guys? What are your personal gripes with certain mechs that you wish were redone or updated? Maybe it's the dynamic weapon models, maybe it's the animations? Share them with us all. Just remember that it's probably not going to happen. Ever. Like, seriously.

UPDATE: Jump Jets
Non-functioning Jumpjet ports!
Posted Image
As you can clearly see, quickdraw has 5 Jumpjet ports. 2 in each Side torso and 1 in the Central Torso, which coincides perfectly with its TT counterpart.
Posted Image
HOWEVER, in this image, you can also clearly see that the Central Torso Jumpjet port isn't working! Keep in mind that, i actually had CT mounted jumpjets in this Quickdraw.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 17 May 2015 - 02:10 AM.

#2 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:21 AM

I absolutely agree with you on that. The Quickdraw badly needs work.
In my opinion, next on the list should be the Nova or Trebuchet, and then the Centurion.

#3 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

Catapults, hands down for me.

In a perfect world, PGI would...

*Scale it down a small bit (a 65 tonner shouldn't look as big as a Stalker).
*Redesign the hitboxes to make it more CT durable (like the Timber Wolf tends to be).
*Fix the atrocious A1 arms and K2/Jester PPC Barrels.

The Cat needs loving first before all other mechs IMO.

#4 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

Don't forget what the much vaunted "variable geometry" did to the poor Catapult - which, incidentally, also is larger than a Stalker.

So yeah, the Cat needs to be up on that list too.

#5 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

Awesome

If there is a 'Mech that deserves a new model and new hitboxes, then without any doubt it's the Awesome.

#6 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:36 AM

Catapult is number 1
Quickdraw is number 2
Trebuchet is number 3
Commando is number 4

Posted Image

#7 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:39 AM

Quickdraw would still be my #1 (it's my unheralded favorite, for what it is), but unfortunately shrinkage would occur!

Edited by Deathlike, 11 May 2015 - 11:39 AM.

#8 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:40 AM

Myth Lynx arms are an honourable mention, although the body itself is good.

Not the picture I was looking for...but it will do:
Posted Image

#9 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:43 AM

Dire Wolf (fat as crap definitely doesn't look like the concept art)

#10 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

View PostMcgral18, on 11 May 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

Myth Lynx arms are an honourable mention, although the body itself is good.

Not the picture I was looking for...but it will do:
Posted Image

If there was an "Arms Only" category, I'd also nominate the Vindicator. The front profile of the arms is HUGE. Both arms are easily make up a large portion of it's front profile. It's one of the reason you just can't seem to keep arms on a Vindicator.

#11 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

If we came together as a community and made demands of PGI would they even be able to fix this? The AWS should be just a little wider than a Zues or about the same size but instead its a massive barn door.

#12 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:45 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 11 May 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:

If there was an "Arms Only" category, I'd also nominate the Vindicator. The front profile of the arms is HUGE. Both arms are easily make up a large portion of it's front profile. It's one of the reason you just can't seem to keep arms on a Vindicator.

Pretty much, there's a lot of things working against the Vindicator, and that's just one of many.

That still won't solve the terribadness that is the 1X.

#13 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:46 AM

Rescaling the Quickdraw, both overall and in certain respects, would potentially do wonders for the 'Mech's viability. Currently it's the size of a Highlander for no good reason and the modelers decided to give it fat pants. The Quickdraw is supposed to be a fairly narrow 'Mech with almost knifelike legs, while the actual in-game Quickdraw is vastly stockier and burlier than the Dragon of all bloody things, which is supposed to be stocky, burly, and really great in robo-boxing matches.

The Nova would also benefit enormously from, realistically, a complete model rework. It's wide as three houses and not significantly shorter than most heavies, making it far larger than even a number of assault 'Mechs. It's a gangly, messy thing that can't even defend itself because you can hit absolutely anything on the 'Mech from any realistic angle you'd care to, and it is just vastly, vastly too large.

I would actually also like the Warhawk to end up remodeled, in an ideal world. Not so much because it's oversized, as because it looks distressingly too similar to the Dire Wolf. I should be able to dire Dire Whales and Warhawks apart at a glance, but oftentimes it takes three or four glances and a final mouseover to be sure. Doing something to it to help differentiate it from the Whale would help a great deal with the Warhawk's survivability, methinks, as it'd no longer eat the active focus fire of all fifteen of the enemy players after being mistaken for a Whale. And also it'd let Warhawk pilots be Warhawk pilots, and not 'bad Dire Whale' pilots.

#14 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:47 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 11 May 2015 - 11:45 AM, said:

Pretty much, there's a lot of things working against the Vindicator, and that's just one of many.

That still won't solve the terribadness that is the 1X.

The 1X is a lost cause. Let's limit it's energy and/or missile hard points so it can mount 3 MGs! Ugh...

#15 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

Jenner.

Worst light 'Mech IMO right now. The thing is a walking CT.

#16 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

Not a priority but the Atlas could do with a model adjustment , slimmer side torso's and larger arms.

#17 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:02 PM

View PostKh0rn, on 11 May 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

Not a priority but the Atlas could do with a model adjustment , slimmer side torso's and larger arms.

You want your arms to hang even lower than they do now?
Are you masochistic by any chance? :lol:

Though it would probably look better

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 11 May 2015 - 12:02 PM.

#18 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:05 PM

Catapult A1 (any 'Pult with more than one missile hardpoint per ear). Bring back the beauty and rid the world of beta-max!

#19 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:06 PM

Cicada 3m...

#20 Corbenik

• The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts