72 replies to this topic

#21 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 12 May 2015 - 06:41 PM, said:

1) Zeus with all of those hardpoints loses the sword and board, the strength of the mech, sounds like a -6T with a ballistic arm to me, and guess what you don't have room for a pile of tube AND a big gun, not without slowing to Atlas speeds.

2) There are already 6-7-8 E hard point grasshoppers, who cares, its a too tall jumping T-bolt

3) AC20 enforcer? Meh, enforcers have a 260 engine limit, Yen Lo has a 300, unless the new mech can match that engine, its a non-starter.

4) Panther. I'll say no more.

1) Still gives you a lot of new potential
2) ALL the high mounts.
3) It has higher engine cap than the YLW, please read. It also has more energy hardpoints than the YLW. Basically the only thing that will balance it in comparison is possible quirks.
4) Most panthers are actually pretty decent. It's probably the 3rd best IS light. This Panther sucks though and I said that in the OP.

View PostEscef, on 12 May 2015 - 06:55 PM, said:

(cough a-la-carte is an option cough)

You don't get pre-order bonuses with a la carte though so the 4th variant is still walled off.

Edited by Fate 6, 12 May 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#22 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:00 PM

View PostFupDup, on 12 May 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

Every mech and variant quirked after the second Quirkening wave has gotten pretty bleh quirks. Huginn-level rocketmachineguns is pretty unlikely.

Well, go figure. Very amusing though.

Maybe if they pack in just a few more thingamajigs and whatchamacallits, enough people will buy in to the grabdeals to keep PGI's hamster wheels spinning for a day.

Quite. I'm sure Hamster Huey is powering the servers right as we speak.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 May 2015 - 06:32 PM, said:

Huginn can pack 4MG, at least. Almost enough to actually crit something still. Almost. 2 is just useless.

I know. You're capped to 2 SRM4s (which compared to the Huginn is hilarious since that's not even a restriction).

I was thinking a 4MG arm, but if they make the ROF quirk on this variant to be at least +100% (effectively double), then maybe it has a shot.

#23 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:09 PM

View PostFate 6, on 12 May 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

You don't get pre-order bonuses with a la carte though so the 4th variant is still walled off.

Eh, the extra Mauler looks interesting, but far from earth shattering. If it isn't worth the money to you than wait for c-bills. This is not a difficult concept.

#24 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

View PostFate 6, on 12 May 2015 - 06:52 PM, said:

Enforcer is an up-engined YLW that also gets 2 more energy hardpoints. Not seeing how that's a sacrifice. You can easily fit 3 tons of AC20 ammo and 4ML considering that's what I have on my YLW.

Impressive, considering that YLW only has 2E hardpoints. ;-)

Enforcer is a clear upgrade, I think. Panther isn't. Grasshopper... I'll reserve judgement until we know where the hardpoints reside, but it doesn't seem like it's going to be dramatically better no matter what. Zeus... I don't see how trading 1E for 1B on the 6T can be considered an upgrade. If you're going to use the 3M you don't really have room for a big ballistic, 3E, and a decent engine. I guess if it ends up being AC/20 capable it might make a decent fast(ish) brawler, but that's really not meta in any way.

So yeah, clear escalation on the Enforcer but clearly worse on the Panther and seems like keeping pace at best on the Grasshopper and Zeus.

The big problem with R2 for me is all the identical laser vomit. Buy before May 31st and get 20 Mechs!!! Yeah, right. More like 1 light, 2 mediums (counting the improved Enforcer), 1 heavy, and 3-4 assaults depending on how well you can differentiate the 4 Mauler variants. So realistically maybe 8 Mechs total.

#25 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:29 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 12 May 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

Grasshopper... I'll reserve judgement until we know where the hardpoints reside, but it doesn't seem like it's going to be dramatically better no matter what.

Look further down the originating post.

For reference:
3E LT
3E RT
1E HD
1E CT

All torso baby!

#26 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:30 PM

Is this thread srs?

I think there's just a list of possible thread topics that gets applied to every event in MWO.

#27 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:35 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 12 May 2015 - 07:29 PM, said:

For reference:
3E LT
3E RT
1E HD
1E CT

All torso baby!

I think he means how high on the torsos the 3rd energy points will be. If it gets 5 high energy mounts (2 per side torso and 1 in the head) it'll be able to peek-a-boo like a Battlemaster.

#28 InRev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:35 PM

For reference:
3E LT
3E RT
1E HD
1E CT

All torso baby!

I think he meant where in the torso. If they just stick them next to the low hardpoints then it's not really that much of an upgrade: more of a side-grade (especially if it gets poopy quirks like its already-existing brothers).

If they're high-mounted . . . well that could be interesting.

#29 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

For reference:
3E LT
3E RT
1E HD
1E CT

All torso baby!

That's not the question. Where on the torso are those hardpoints? Is there an order enforced by the Mechlab like there is on some other Mechs (Banshee, for example)?

There's a huge difference between belly-level torso hardpoints and shoulder-level torso hardpoints.

:ph34r: LOL ninja'd.

#30 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:44 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 12 May 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

Double ninja'd. Hell, if you look at the timestamps, InRev and I were typing pretty much at the same time, I just beat him to hitting the "Post" button.

#31 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:25 PM

View PostFate 6, on 12 May 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

1) Still gives you a lot of new potential
2) ALL the high mounts.
3) It has higher engine cap than the YLW, please read. It also has more energy hardpoints than the YLW. Basically the only thing that will balance it in comparison is possible quirks.
4) Most panthers are actually pretty decent. It's probably the 3rd best IS light. This Panther sucks though and I said that in the OP.

You have never built any of the mechs that you are comparing have you,

Again, Zeus barely has room for x3 ASRM and 4 MPLS so even if you chop the lasers to malas, and strip the Atry you have all of 8 tons....an AC2 and two tons of ammo before you cut into the engine, AND you have a ballistic arm and missile arm, half of your tanking is gone, also the issue with the -6T, bringing a heavy gun doesn't buy you anything except SLOW.

You know little about harpoint placement, we already have -5N which s arms x2, RT high/low LT low and head, like I said ghetto jumping t_bolt, I see nothing that says that the new one is going to have better hardpoints, just cheaper to build

Again, with Yen Lo the common build is AC20 two MPL 300XL endo/ferro, and guess what it has NO crits left and only three tons of ammo the extra hardpoints buy nothing that you can't do with the current enforcers, only so much fits on a 50 ton mech around a 15 ton gun.

#32 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

View PostInRev, on 12 May 2015 - 07:35 PM, said:

I think he meant where in the torso. If they just stick them next to the low hardpoints then it's not really that much of an upgrade: more of a side-grade (especially if it gets poopy quirks like its already-existing brothers).

If 2/3 were high mounted on each ST + the head slot, it would be the best Grasshopper.

That's not really saying much though if it got, as you said, poopy quirks.

#33 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:01 PM

Todays meta is tomorrows unused mech.

#34 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:39 PM

Take your Huggin, put 2 AC2s in those super high mounted arms and you'll get something like the Panther 2xAC2 experience. It's.... not bad. The Huggin will do it better than that Panther will though with those high Huggin arms. You just have to *barely* peek to dakka with the Huggin.

It's worth a giggle and if you're a dedicated hill-humper it does it like a micro-Stalker, with JJs.

#35 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:18 PM

Stalker 4N still better.

Expect ECM Black Knight as the R2's 4th though. :o

#36 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:45 AM

View PostEscef, on 12 May 2015 - 07:35 PM, said:

I think he means how high on the torsos the 3rd energy points will be. If it gets 5 high energy mounts (2 per side torso and 1 in the head) it'll be able to peek-a-boo like a Battlemaster.

View PostInRev, on 12 May 2015 - 07:35 PM, said:

View PostRoadkill, on 12 May 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

That's not the question. Where on the torso are those hardpoints? Is there an order enforced by the Mechlab like there is on some other Mechs (Banshee, for example)?

There's a huge difference between belly-level torso hardpoints and shoulder-level torso hardpoints.

I don't know where it is either, but based on PGI's inflation hardpoint history, they tend to be high mounted. The Banshee is the best representation of this behavior. Although, the semi-worst case scenario would be like the BJ-1DC (2nd torso energy hardpoint is low) or the Zeus-6S (3rd left torso energy is lower than the CT, but they are kinda stacked going downwards).

I guess we'll see.... I'm very sure regardless that there will be a high mounted energy hardpoint (whether it ends up being the 2nd or 3rd mounted energy hardpoint.... or both). All of the Grasshoppers have their 2nd energy side torso hardpoints mounted up high, where the 1st side torso energy torso hardpoint is as low as the CT itself.

Edited by Deathlike, 13 May 2015 - 12:47 AM.

#37 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:02 AM

Quirks make or break mechs so without seeing them it's too early to talk about power creep.

#38 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:24 AM

View PostEscef, on 12 May 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

New Panther... is strange. Might make for an odd s***s n giggles build with AC2 and 2xSRM4.

Jumping Gauss Rifle goodness *nods* ;)

#39 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:30 AM

To be honest only the panther is a power creep, all other irresistible resistant mechs are blargh =P

#40 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:26 AM

I can not wait till Resistance pack II and these other variants are available with C~bills because that is when i will be picking them up. Tired of dropping massive coin into this until there are major improvements and playable content. Also one of my fav mechs is still the YLW and it still kicks buttox, no need for a bunch of other variants that are barely compatible.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users