A small bit of info for those WoT players

145 replies to this topic

#1 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:46 AM

Hi. This post is meant to give you a basic grasp of key differences between these games so you can make a better decision about playing this or whether you really need to ask that question.

1. Mechwarrior Online is based upon a tabletop game called battletech.

2. Mechs weigh 20-100 tons. This is broken into four categories. Light (20-35), Medium (40-55), Heavy (60-75), and Assault (80-100).

3. Damage is determined by hit location. Each location has armor hp and internal hp. Once you get through the armor for lets say the left leg you start hitting internal structure. When there is no more internal structure that location is destroyed (destruction of 1 leg results in a severe limp, 2 legs you are Ko'd). Along the way you tend to do a lot of crits to locations that are taking internal structure damage.

4. There is no bouncing in this game. A gun on a light mech does the same damage to an assault as that gun would do if it was mounted on an assault mech. The key thing is the assault mech has more guns and armor.

5. Heavier the mech the more it carries in guns and armor, but also the more engine power it takes to go the same speed. Also heavier mechs are bigger. Basically small nimble scouts, vs big slow juggernauts. Get the picture?

6. Scout mechs will have a big impact on this game if the devs pull it off right. The idea is the scout mechs will keep the enemy lit for the support mechs to shoot at them with indirect fire from LRM launchers etc.

7. This game does not have TDs or SPGs.

8. One shotting an enemy is far less likely in this game. Should still be possible in the right circumstances and with a great deal of luck/skill, but not a hey I see that happen 2-3 times per match kind of thing.

9. Mechs can be modified by the pilot to get different performance outside the same vehicle. basically you can swap around the weapon loadouts, add/remove armor, put in bigger or small engines. There is a ruleset behind this so not everything is possible, but the degree of variety should mean that after the game has been out for a short amount of time the variety in mechs should be fairly high.

10. Won't everyone just get the biggest mechs? Short answer is no. Long answer is bigger mechs are basically big fat targets. Basically assault mechs would be like T95s without the bounces, just a lot more hp. You see them coming, you attack them from the flanks or from distance with smaller more nimble mechs. Light mechs would be vk 2801s but their gun now has infinite penetration (no bouncing). Probably most people will settle into the medium and heavy categories of mechs as they will balance firepower and speed better.

11. Will there be gold rounds? No. this game is f2p, and yes you can pay for things, but paying does not equal winning or having a significant combat advantage. The understanding I've gotten from reading the forums is you will be able to spend real money to basically buy mechs, and a premium mode.

12. Will driving a certain mech for a long time benefit you? Yes. The pilots apparently gain xp in specific mechs which will unlock perks for that mech. That said, the more experienced pilots will not get a massive advantage over the nub. If they are beating you a lot its b/c they know the maps, mechs, and general tactics for this game better.

13. What about premium mechs? There will be premium mechs. They will not have any weaker or stronger performance than the standard mechs for that tonnage. They will simply have a boosted credit earning potential. Basically this would be like if you can earn a tiger 2 or buy a premium tiger 2. Both will play the same, just after the battle the premium guy will get more money for his efforts.

14. Will there be a lot of grinding to get to the mech I really want? Courts still out on this. However you should realize that when you get a new mech it will be practically the same as the same mech owned by a guy who has 500 matches in it. He will however have unlocked a bunch of perks for it while you will have to grind to get those unlocked. But again that isn't night and day like WoT stock tanks vs fully unlocked. We're talking 10% more heat dissipation or longer radar ranges not popgun vs. doom cannons.

15. Should I play this game? Yes. You should. Will you like it more or less than WoT? I don't know. You won't know either until you try it. So how about keep an eye on this game, wait until open beta and then give it a spin. Odds are you will like this game and its f2p so dipping your toe in won't cost you anything but a little time. And if you don't like it WoT will still be there for you. I promise.

Final comment for this post. This is not WoT nor should it be. They are both different and yet fill the same niche market. Having both around should be a good thing. I think there is room in the market for both games AND I think having both games around will force both sets of devs to keep working at their respective titles to make them better games for us gamer folk. In the end games are meant to be fun and I hope you find something you are having fun at. If you aren't having fun then please don't settle for something. FIND something better. Not every game is for every gamer.

Link to dev's youtube video's
http://www.youtube.c...chwarrioronline

Following is quoted from later in this thread

View PostAdridos, on 03 July 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

What? You don't trust a fellow Capellan? :huh:

Here's the quote from the tweetchat devs had in may:

Q: How will the player’s initial ‘mech(s) be selected?

A: Players will get 1 free mech to start. They can chose from 4 1 in each class – light, med, heavy, assault. [BRYAN]A: You will be able to choose from a selection based on the role you want to play. [RUSS]

The full interview is here: http://mwomercs.com/...eetchat-roundup

Reoh brought this up:

View PostReoh, on 04 July 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

Hey OP, great post but a mistake (posisbly two).
  • You can blow an arm off a 'Mech, but not a leg. It just becomes dysfunctional but you can limp along with it at reduced speed (destroying both KO's the mech).
  • I'm pretty sure you can only add\remove Jumpjets on 'Mechs that have them as a baseline in the chasis variant, but I could be wrong on this.

Edited by Bodha, 04 July 2012 - 01:37 PM.

#2 Silversteel

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationInnsbruck - Austria

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:51 AM

This Post should be pinned!

#3 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:56 AM

Good style Bodha - I don't see any offending to new players not familiar with BattleTech - that's almost the tone in similar topics

#4 skamage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:56 AM

Awesome post.

#5 FattyMojo

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

Yet another WoT comparison thread...Cool

#6 DoubleEL

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

Thanks Bhoda! As a WoT player since that beta and an utter MWO noob your post was exceptionally informative. I think I can speak for all the WoT guys when I say no bounces (or pen no damage hits) will be a very welcome change.

#7 Psykosis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

im sure ill continue to play WoT once this releases... :huh: Nothing like a change of pace every now and then.

#8 Nuesse

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFreudenberg

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

Awesome post, you nailed it down to the Point.

vote for pinned or sticky or whatsoever...

#9 Grimarch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 151 posts
  • LocationGuildford

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:09 AM

Helpful although all above is in other threads, however nice for a single thread which can be pinned....

#10 TadPrime

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationOviedo, FL

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:11 AM

Awesome post!

I did see a couple things that didn't quite match my understanding though...

View PostBodha, on 03 July 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

12. Will driving a certain mech for a long time benefit you? Yes. The pilots apparently gain xp in specific mechs which will unlock perks for that mech. That said, the more experienced pilots will not get a massive advantage over the nub. If they are beating you a lot its b/c they know the maps, mechs, and general tactics for this game better.

I didn't get the feeling the XP was mech specific nearly as much as weight-class... So whether you were in a Catapult or a Dragon you would get XP to spend on advancing Heavy skills.

View PostBodha, on 03 July 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

13. What about premium mechs? There will be premium mechs. They will not have any weaker or stronger performance than the standard mechs for that tonnage. They will simply have a boosted credit earning potential. Basically this would be like if you can earn a tiger 2 or buy a premium tiger 2. Both will play the same, just after the battle the premium guy will get more money for his efforts.

Currently the only premium mech effects we know of are the Founder's, and we don't know whether the permanent +25% c-bills will be available on a different premium offer later (although I think most assume it will be).

Has there been any hard statements on these that I missed?

#11 Karees

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:14 AM

Excellent post, would read again.

#12 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

View PostTadPrime, on 03 July 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

Awesome post!

I did see a couple things that didn't quite match my understanding though...

I didn't get the feeling the XP was mech specific nearly as much as weight-class... So whether you were in a Catapult or a Dragon you would get XP to spend on advancing Heavy skills.

Currently the only premium mech effects we know of are the Founder's, and we don't know whether the permanent +25% c-bills will be available on a different premium offer later (although I think most assume it will be).

Has there been any hard statements on these that I missed?

You may be correct on both points, will do some more research and get back to you on that. Either way though the point is that you will not be grinding in a substantially substand vehicle as the case can be in WoT, and the premium vehicles in this game are subpar for their class/weight/tier unlike the premium tanks in WoT (ie Lowe. T34. KV-5 vs Tiger 2 and IS-3).

#13 Riin Suul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

great post, needs to be pinned

#14 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

View PostFattyMojo, on 03 July 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

Yet another WoT comparison thread...Cool

lol. I just tried to make a fairly tidy comparison so people will have 1 post to read with the core differences.

#15 bakon

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

As long as the devs don't get nerf and useless content happy, and favoring one tech tree more then the other, like one other f2p game I know, this game will be awesome :huh:. Can't wait for this to come live already.

By the way, being a WoT vet my self, this is actually a very awesome comparison.

P.S. I would also add maybe how the repairs will work in MWO compared to WoT. I know its here somewhere on the forum but I can't find it.

Edited by bakon, 03 July 2012 - 06:26 AM.

#16 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:29 AM

View PostTadPrime, on 03 July 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

Players will be gaining xp for the current variant they're piloting. For example: You will need to reach Elite I tier on all Catapult's variants (primary variant, variant a, variant b etc.) to unlock higher efficiencies tiers. After reaching Elite II tier you can congratulate yourself because you have mastered the Catapult chassis (all his variants).
http://mwomercs.com/...e-warfare-cont/ - to bad the pictures are not showing up...

EDIT: Keep in mind that this was posted few months ago, so some game mechanics may be changed now or later, or will not be changed at all.

Edited by Czechu NS, 03 July 2012 - 06:35 AM.

#17 C3ragon

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • Locationgermany

Thanks for writing this topic, Bodha.

#18 Pernumbra

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom.

A post that deserves a "+".

Oh, wait, wrong forum.... :huh:

Think of this post as a BIG "+" (and another to the MWO team), especially as posting a similar, reversed comparison on the WoT General Discussion would get you a, albeit limited time, ban...

#19 MoxVoid

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 87 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:30 AM

4. There is no bouncing in this game. A gun on a light mech does the same damage to an assault as that gun would do if it was mounted on an assault mech. The key thing is the assault mech has more guns and armor.

This alone will keep me playing this game.

#20 Deblin Thrake

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNo farthest than a shadow's width...

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

Great Post... especially the clarification on the difference between Tiers in WoT and Chassis Class for BT... ppl who come from WoT keep comparing those two reeeeeaaally different thigs... like comparing an apple to a flyswatter...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users