Centurian Cn9-Ah - I Suck... Help

32 replies to this topic

#1 Seven Strikes

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

Okay, so I am a light pilot.. I own 9 mastered lights and I love them like they were my own children... I rack up 300-600 damage most of the time so I'm not awesome but I do better than average I think.... HOWEVER I am the worlds worst Centurian.. average game is <5 minutes dead and MAYBE 100-200 damage.

I went for a SRM "Brawler" build that others have said is really good, and since I use 2x SRMs on my Jenner-D I figured it would be a smooth transition.. WRONG...

Here's my build, please feel free to advise on better builds.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1226fea592a3058

(Edit) For anyone not wanting to bother looking at the link.
Max Armour
260 Eng
3x Machine Guns
3x SRM 6 + Arty
4x SRM Ammo + Arty
1x Machine Gun Ammo

Any play tips would be welcomed... I've been told to use the empty left arm like a shield; which lasts for all of 3 seconds before they eat through to my core and I die. :\

I never expected that losing 50% speed by switching to a medium was going to make such a massive difference.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read / comment.

Edited by Seven Strikes, 18 May 2015 - 09:08 PM.

#2 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

CN9-AH

this is my go-to AH-build,AH is XL-friendly because it does not have CT-weaponry.Other possible setups are with that engine;UAC+3 SRM4,AC5+AC2 + 2 SRM4,3 SRM6 + AC5

I ran that ASRM18/MG build for a while,but exposing your CT while peppering the enemy with MG:s is not really the cent-style of playing and demands lots of situational awareness and patience.Good build still,but situational as hell.

#3 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:36 PM

View PostCookiemonter669, on 18 May 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

this is, by far, the best 9-AH setup there is for public queue play. my own has its ammo distributed differently, but it's p. much the same otherwise.

Edited by Inflatable Fish, 18 May 2015 - 11:37 PM.

#4 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:53 PM

This build ...

#5 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:35 AM

View PostSeven Strikes, on 18 May 2015 - 09:06 PM, said:

Okay, so I am a light pilot.. I own 9 mastered lights and I love them like they were my own children... I rack up 300-600 damage most of the time so I'm not awesome but I do better than average I think.... HOWEVER I am the worlds worst Centurian.. average game is <5 minutes dead and MAYBE 100-200 damage.I went for a SRM "Brawler" build that others have said is really good, and since I use 2x SRMs on my Jenner-D I figured it would be a smooth transition.. WRONG...
Here's my build, please feel free to advise on better builds.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1226fea592a3058
(Edit) For anyone not wanting to bother looking at the link.
Max Armour
260 Eng
3x Machine Guns
3x SRM 6 + Arty
4x SRM Ammo + Arty
1x Machine Gun Ammo
Any play tips would be welcomed... I've been told to use the empty left arm like a shield; which lasts for all of 3 seconds before they eat through to my core and I die. :\
I never expected that losing 50% speed by switching to a medium was going to make such a massive difference.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read / comment.

The key with Cent's is to use the shield arm. Shield while you wait for them to fire, then you turn and alpha them. Always look around to the right of objects, dont attempt to hill hump because it exposes too much of your mech.

Since our work firewall blocks smurfy, I cant click on the above links but here are the builds for PUG land.
CN9-AH+AC20+XL255

CN9-AH+AC10+XL275

Adjust the armor as needed. I prefer the AC10 build due to the 275 engine.

#6 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:18 AM

AC20 with 3 SRM 4. Not a lot of ammo but make it count. To me the ah is the ultimate back stab mech. Like the YLW before it, it will teach the basics of aimed fire brawling instead of laser vomit spray and pray. The shield arm is used while the weapons reload. Turn fire twist count 2 twist fire twist repeat. As with lights keep moving! Never straight at always at angles. Try to get close and by close I mean 50m. Best to hit from the side quickly while the other mech is targeting something else. Stormcrows picking on a light are my favorite targets, being a locust nut myself I hate crows. Come in from the opposite side and light him up. The AC20 is a slow moving big ball of hurt. The closer you are the better. The SRMs are tighter also. Most stormcrows are down in 3 alphas or less before they even know what happened. Compared to a light a CN9 is a tanker mech but it is slower and easier to hit. A CN9 is not an assault! A CN9 does not have the speed to run away. Pick your ground, use cover, and don't face tank. The AH is dirty close in fighter. Blind side back stab and be gone before they know you are there.

edited to add what i run as my phone sucks to link smufty from. only 17, well 16 and 2/3 alphas but it hurts what ever it hits. leg and CT armor may seem a bit light but by the time you get to the point of losing that much armor you are almost out of ammo anyway. twist twist twist that incoming fire. you only need to aim and twist no need to watch your shot, or take a picture.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...88c3bb1b45a7daa

Edited by loopala, 19 May 2015 - 07:35 AM.

#7 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:29 AM

With loopala - AC20 and 3 SRM4s, limited ammo but making that count should net you 3-4 kills and 5-600+ damage on average. Its like having an AC20 and a faster ac25 with a touch of spread.

#8 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:31 AM

OP:

Recently I dusted off my CN9-AH and it was a hell lot of fun with matches going from 250+ up to 700 damage (considering matches lost and won).
It's a fun mech and very effective if you know how to.

Regarding your build:
You need better placement of your ammo, but other than that, the problem isn't the build itself, it's the way you pilot the mech.

Regarding the piloting:
Without having seen you play, I can almost guess how you do it, since you come from a light pilots background.

The main difference you need to have in mind here is you are piloting a much slower and larger mech.
This means, you can't get in and out as swiftly as you do in a light mech.

To use the Centurion correctly you will need to start working on better ways to engage the enemy.

Leaving you a few tips that might help:
1 - Stick with the main group, larger and heavier mechs are your friends
2 - When the main group engages the enemy, try to antecipate the move and go around an obstacle (left or right) to engage the enemy from the side while he is busy fighting your heavier friendlies
3 - ALWAYS torso-twist to spread the damage. The Centurion chassis is perfect for damage spread, if you spread damage effectively you can soak up to 350+ damage and still be able to move.
4 - The Centurion isn't a mech to brawl face to face. It's an effective brawler but you need to know your positioning and role. Also to scare away pesky lights and thus protecting the heavier mechs backs.

Hope this helps

#9 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:53 PM

Yup, that is exactly what i was going to say, only i shave a tiny bit of weight and stick in a XL-265, shave .5 tons of armor, a little from the head and legs, and get an extra 5KPH out of it.. The thing is a total beast.. Outside of the TDR-5ss is the only mech i've gotton 8 kills in, and it easily is good for 3-5 in a good match. One of the best brawlers in the game.

#10 Phashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationBuckeye stuck in Michigan

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:05 PM

Someone once said: "It is the only Cent that can use an AC/20 other than the Wang, so why wouldn't you use an AC/20?" After trying lots of builds, turns out he was right. STD engine, AC/20, and a few SRM-somethings. and my least-fav Cent became my favorite! Go fig.

#11 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:42 PM

I run this config. Full armor makes Centy happy.

The AH is far and away the most powerful Cent available for cbills. A bad game in that 'Mech still usually winds up with 300+ and a kill. You can pound out 40-50 point alphas and keep right on doing it every four seconds for two or three kills before you're in any danger of overheating. It's a total monster.

#12 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:20 PM

I think I run mine with an AC20, 2 SRM4s, 1 SRM2, and a STD225. It's not a bad mech at all. Kicks like an angry mule. Gotta run an AC20 imo.

#13 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:40 PM

I tried AC 10 with 3 SRM 4's when I first got it, then bit the bullet and went AC 20. Normally I play cautious but with this thing I played a lot more aggressive and so would die a lot, but, as long as I had a kill or two and dealt appreciable damage I felt I did my job. The thinking was that since I only have a bit of ammo for either weapon type and ran the risk of running out of ammo, or I could lose my boomstick arm pretty quickly and finally, I was playing a medium with a dangerous big gun, I shouldn't expect to ever survive the match.

So, I would bodyguard assaults, if the red team pushed hard, I would push back, giving the heavies and assaults time to collect themselves while red team took their time focusing me down. I'd try and get enemy assaults to worry about me and try to remember to use shield arm to absorb damage. Or that's what I tried to do, worked sometimes, sometimes not so well.

I still like it, but it's the only Centurion I ever owned, someday I'll master them.

#14 zudukai

• Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:34 PM

the Cent does not like to face tank, leave that to the hunch backs and wolverines, what the cent does do well is sword and board, learn how to tease the enemy into shooting your arm or what have you, and if you are running an XL, do not be afraid to shield with your AC/20 ballistic arm if that means you get another shot or two off.

your light skirmisher skills are translatable however you need to stick with your buddies AND know when to bunker into cover, you can do a lot of damage, but you still cannot TAKE a lot, so remember that and choose a path that gives you the ability to disengage from the line of fire, after you delivered your uppercut.

Edited by zudukai, 01 June 2015 - 09:34 PM.

#15 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:54 PM

Well, i cannot speak from personal experience with the Centurion 9AH, since i have never bought nor used one, but with the exception of the Hunchback (the 4J variant) the Centurion9-A and Centurion 9D are my favourite Uat least until the CR Crab is released).

As previously started, the Centurion is not a tanking machine. i can hold its ow against other mediums, and even a a few heavies 'Mechs, like the Clan Mad Dog, especially when you have it at master level, but overall, it is more of a scout and support 'Mech, given that the top speed of the Centurion 9D is 106kp/h, althought the Centurion 9A variant has a top of speed of just over 71 kp/h (fully mastered but both without XL engines and they both carry quite an impressive array of weaponry that you equip them with.

As I said, the centurion, any variant of it is best suited as a fire support role and should never go off on its own,no matter what you pack it with.
In truth, that you are a light 'Mech ppilot,you would find the Centurion a grouse (very good) 'Mech to field, because of the speed and the 140 degree or so torso twist speed.

#16 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:14 PM

CN9-AH is a decent build. The triple 2s have a naturally tight grouping and fire very quickly.

#17 Vaktor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 271 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

You know what would really help? This

http://mwomercs.com/...oll-final-vote/

#18 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:40 PM

I just started with the Cent and chose the AH for my 1st.

CN9-AH

This is what I settled on. Complimentary weapon groups for pack hunting, as you close bust their armor with the lrms and then light em up with the machine guns.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 14 July 2015 - 04:42 PM.

#19 DA BAWSS

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:29 AM

The Centurion is a total BEAST if you know how to use it correctly.

Use an AC/20. Its heavily quirked to add to its already immense firepower. 2 1/2-3 tons of ammo should be used as you will find it to be your primary weapon.
Other builds are available, but I find The AC/20s to be most effective due to them being farthest away from your damage soaking left side, and they have more quirks put in them.

To protect this valuable weapon, use your left arm to shield. It covers almost all of your torsos. Practice shielding, its alot harder than it seems. Many times, Shielding will save your life in situations any other medium would die. This is what makes the centurion so powerful. It's survivability. You will find yourself going down to very low precentages, and lasting longer in a brawl than most heavy mechs like the Jager, Catapult, Dragon and Quickdraw.

To back this weapon up, You need a handy set of SRMs. I run my AH with a STD 250, and use 3 SRM 2s.
But many like to run an XL 225 with 3 SRM 4s.

Tips:
-Don't peak and shoot or Exchange fire with the enemy. Wait until the right moment to come out and strike. Then retreat into the shadows of your larger cousins.
-Avoid Lights, AC/20s aren't the greatest for light hunting.
-Shield like crazy. This is the best mech to learn how to shield. If you an an enemy come face to face, Shield first. Fire, Then Shield. You may want to use third person to practice shielding.
-Don't be too Trigger happy. You are very Ammo dependent. For this reason, I would suggest another medium brawler for CW. Such as the Griffin, which uses Laser weapons instead of balistics. Although it does come at the cost of an extra 5 tons.

Builds:
XL Brawler: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a4e0161538e69d1
STD Version: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c3815488437a622
Anti Light: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...244d6bfff44d04c
SRM Brawler: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fa821bfe807373b
LRM Support: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9b1184ab56e4643
Sniper: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9cf6c09b0fdfd69
Suppression: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cdc098f1c74dfa3

#20 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:08 AM

With most here, AC20 +3SRM4 is the way to go with it.

CN9-AH

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users