• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:17 AM

View PostWater Bear, on 04 June 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

I don't understand the desire to cheat in this game. It's kind of a small community and no one outside of it really cares how good at it you are. The game is so small, in fact, that fairly new players can be matched up against fairly good players from time to time, and I think that's because there just aren't enough players for the MM to keep the low level players separated from the high level ones.

I agree, but you can also look at MWO as being a complicated game where "information is ammunition". A simple wall hack is MUCH more impacting than most other games that typically have respawns (except CS). The aimbot would be a challenge to program to deal with all the fine details of MWO, velocity, hitboxes, movement speeds, I can see someone thinking the challenge would be fun. However we'd only be talking about a very VERY small minority of cheaters (who are already an extremely small minority).

Yeah, I personally don't get what the appeal is other than understanding the appeal of a coding/tuning challenge.

#62 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:20 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 04 June 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

I don't understand the desire to cheat in any multiplayer game. Cheat all you want single player, but don't be bringing that **** online.

"Some people just wanna watch the world burn."

I wasn't saying that you should cheat in a more popular game, only that it makes more sense.

If I said it doesn't make sense to rob a fruit dealer in China because they don't have much money, that doesn't mean I rob banks.

#63 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:28 AM

View PostSolahma, on 04 June 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

I agree, but you can also look at MWO as being a complicated game where "information is ammunition". A simple wall hack is MUCH more impacting than most other games that typically have respawns (except CS). The aimbot would be a challenge to program to deal with all the fine details of MWO, velocity, hitboxes, movement speeds, I can see someone thinking the challenge would be fun. However we'd only be talking about a very VERY small minority of cheaters (who are already an extremely small minority).

Yeah, I personally don't get what the appeal is other than understanding the appeal of a coding/tuning challenge.

I think the reason people develop cheating tools is money. The simplest explanation comes from game theory. Individuals are often motivated to do things that benefit them but which harm the community over all. A good example is nuclear armament. In the world right now, it makes sense for any given country to stockpile some nuclear weapons, because that increases that country's security and gives that country political bargaining chips. However the world as a whole, and all of mankind, becomes less secure with the more nuclear weapons there are lying around.

We therefore try to implement rules (or international laws and treaties in the above example) to prevent people from doing things that benefit themselves at the expense of everyone, overall. What this means is that any given individual stands to come out ahead if they could just break the rules and get away with it. There is therefore a demand for tools that make it easy to break the rules and get away with it.

In other words, where ever there is a rule forbidding any action that would benefit only the person who takes that action, there is necessarily a demand for the ability to break that rule.

Edited by Water Bear, 04 June 2015 - 09:28 AM.

#64 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:31 AM

View PostZeusus, on 04 June 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

If he doesn't log into the forums you won't find him. A buddy of mine whose account predates mine is unsearchable as he avoids these forums like the plague.

Dude, the "Plague" has a cure, if caught early. The "Forums".... no guarantees... ;)

#65 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:32 AM

View PostSolahma, on 04 June 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

Its stealing.
They cheat to steal the win from a better team.

I used to use gamesharks on my games after I had already played them through once. Hacked money and healing items only OR quick level gains. But those were PvE and like I said after beating the game the old fashion way first.

#66 sneeking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:35 AM

Stealing an intangible thing thats clearly worth more to some than others. ..

#67 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:36 AM

At this time we are not strictly prohibiting these players from creating new, legitimate accounts. Continuing to use these tools under new accounts will result in escalated action being taken, when possible.

I'm closing this thread and removing any references to active accounts.

Please obey the Code of Conduct.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users