Any Charts/data Of Concurrent Mwo Players Over Time?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Bitey001

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:57 AM

I just came back to the game after a two year break (to wait for the clan mechs & see if PGI could improve things). It feels like there is hardly any playerbase to this game. Matchmaker searching takes much, much longer than it did back in 2013.

Is there any way to see this or does PGI still keep these stats pretty close to the vest? Does anyone have any reference points at least?

Edited by Bitey001, 06 June 2015 - 08:26 AM.

#2 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:24 AM

I will just leave this here

50,000 + Founders

And

2,455 voted

https://mwomercs.com/founders-poll

That alone speaks volumes

#3 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:48 AM

We do know 17,000+ people participated in the Tukayyid event.

We also know that there was at least at one point 2,340 concurrent players in CW alone during that event.

Finally, we know that roughly 10-15% of the population regularly play CW, and that the Tukayyid event likely had a larger percentage of players than that.

From there, you can draw your own conclusions.

Mine is that MWO is a small, fringe game with a player base of roughly 100,000 players. Which, all in all, is not bad for what it is - but rather disheartening seeing as the founders numbered closer to 70,000 three years ago.

Edited by stjobe, 06 June 2015 - 07:09 AM.

#4 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:51 AM

View Poststjobe, on 06 June 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

We also know that there was at least at one point 2,340 concurrent players in CW alone during that event.

Finally, we know that roughly 10-15% of the population regularly play CW, and that the Tukayyid event likely had a larger percentage of players that that.

Mine is that MWO is a small, fringe game with a player base of roughly 100,000 players. Which, all in all, is not bad for what it is - but rather disheartening seeing as the founders numbered closer to 70,000 three years ago.

Not going to argue but from what I see I think your very optimistic on the total number of players in this game. Granted I have no way of knowing the real numbers but my gut tells me it is not that high.

#5 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:55 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 06 June 2015 - 06:51 AM, said:

Not going to argue but from what I see I think your very optimistic on the total number of players in this game. Granted I have no way of knowing the real numbers but my gut tells me it is not that high.

Gut feelings are a poor substitute for math:

View Poststjobe, on 01 May 2015 - 11:39 PM, said:

17k played Tukayyid.

That places a lower bound on player population of 17k players.

Regular, non-Tukayyid CW is played by roughly 10% of the population, which puts an upper bound on the player population of 170k players.

Then again, there were probably more people playing Tukayyid than would play non-Tukayyid CW, so a conservative guesstimate would be that the population is in the vicinity of 100k players.

But, as I said, you're free to draw your own conclusions.

Edited by stjobe, 06 June 2015 - 06:56 AM.

#6 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:57 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 06 June 2015 - 06:51 AM, said:

My gut and 3 years of playing and following this game tells me 15,000 to 20,000 total.

#7 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:58 AM

View PostTriordinant, on 06 June 2015 - 06:57 AM, said:

My gut and 3 years of playing and following this game tells me 15,000 to 20,000 total.

So you're saying that 113% to 85% of the player population participated in the Tukayyid event?

I find one of those numbers to be impossible, and the other very hard to believe.

Edited by stjobe, 06 June 2015 - 06:59 AM.

#8 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:00 AM

View Poststjobe, on 06 June 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

So you're saying that over 85% of the player population participated in the Tukayyid event?

For the goodies -then never to return (until the next CW bribe reward event). :P

#9 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:06 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 06 June 2015 - 06:24 AM, said:

I will just leave this here

50,000 + Founders

And

2,455 voted

https://mwomercs.com/founders-poll

That alone speaks volumes

Founders are people who have played since day 1.

Most people out there often do not stick to a game over a year and it is normal for a player to 'drop out' and come again in a few years.

Using the "Founders" counts on the votes is not the best accurate representation as they are the most likely out of all the people in this game to 'leave', Times do change rather that be the player expectancy to play is out, or they are to busy to play.

At best it would be best to use the clan wave II and III and resistance I and II as more 'accurate' numbers but even then the majority of F2P players often stay F2P and do not buy stuff due to reasons like no credit card or no money.

On top of that not all founders found there way to the vote page.

You forget not all people play every week or every day, There are people out there who play a few days every 2 or 3 weeks or a month, or players who often play largely at every interval of a few months. On top of that but not all people read the forums or can manage there way through the website.

I got dozens of friends who often asks me "what's up?" or "anything new?" for MW: O as they fail to use the website or to even check it for news and such and there best way of learning things is by asking me. Anyway. Using events like tukayyid that appeals to all factions and people and being over the corse of 1 week can do a more accurate number.

#10 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:07 AM

View PostBitey001, on 06 June 2015 - 05:57 AM, said:

I just came back to the game after a two year break (to wait for the clan mechs & see if PGI could improve things). It feels like there is hardly any playerbase to this game. Matchmaker searching takes much, much longer than it did back in 2013.

Is there any way to see this or does PGI still keep these stats pretty close to the vest? Does anyone one have any reference points at least?

Probably concurrent players in the 1300 range at most... height would have been 3000-4000 range during closed/open/early launch...

Limiting group sizes to 4 is what originally killed the playerbase... then there was poor decision making ecm/3pv/coolant gate/ghost heat/ui2.x

Clam mech power creep / pointless CW / ui3.x is just the comedic complementary bonus scene mid-credits..

#11 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:15 AM

Sorry Nightshade, but you are wrong about who the Founders are. The Founders was a package release similar to the later ones. Players could buy the package and become a "founder" or not. I chose not to, mainly for financial reasons, as did many others for their own reasons. I have been playing since August 2012, but am not a founder because I chose not to buy in.

And Myrcus, I disagree that limiting group sizes to 4 killed the player base. More it was a variety of decisions which would appear to have been implemented at IGP's directive. I say this because since PGI eliminated the IGP baggage this game has gotten arguably better. Notice the number of new players on the new players forum. For these reasons, I at least believe that the community is growing, albeit slowly, after seeing a long period of decline.

#12 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:17 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 06 June 2015 - 07:06 AM, said:

Founders are people who have played since day 1.

Most people out there often do not stick to a game over a year and it is normal for a player to 'drop out' and come again in a few years.

Using the "Founders" counts on the votes is not the best accurate representation as they are the most likely out of all the people in this game to 'leave', Times do change rather that be the player expectancy to play is out, or they are to busy to play.

At best it would be best to use the clan wave II and III and resistance I and II as more 'accurate' numbers but even then the majority of F2P players often stay F2P and do not buy stuff due to reasons like no credit card or no money.

On top of that not all founders found there way to the vote page.

You forget not all people play every week or every day, There are people out there who play a few days every 2 or 3 weeks or a month, or players who often play largely at every interval of a few months. On top of that but not all people read the forums or can manage there way through the website.

I got dozens of friends who often asks me "what's up?" or "anything new?" for MW: O as they fail to use the website or to even check it for news and such and there best way of learning things is by asking me. Anyway. Using events like tukayyid that appeals to all factions and people and being over the corse of 1 week can do a more accurate number.

All good points and all true. But still 75,000ish Founders there were. 2500ish voted

That is the only package numbers that we have and it is an estimate but a reliable one. It still speaks volume's as to the wan in population of this game. We have no idea about any other package numbers that were sold. But one thing can be said about the Founders. We all cared about this game from Day 1 and we put our money where our mouth was and got crapped on almost from the 1st month on.

There is still a bitter taste with many of us. Look at your friends list. How many do you even see logged on. Probably 90% of my list stays greyed out with folks who have not been on in a ****'s age.

So yes while I will admit gladly that the founds poll is not an accurate representation. For those of us that remember the enthusiasim that we all had back then. It speaks volumes about the population of this game. Look at your Phoenix poll as well.

In Closed Beta we had a player online counter. It got yanked when the numbers started to steadily dropped. If PGI has nothing to hide why not put it up. Or at least put it on the website. Something to the effect of " **** " Currently Logged in and fighting for their Houses

Edited by Darian DelFord, 06 June 2015 - 07:19 AM.

#13 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:08 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 06 June 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

All good points and all true. But still 75,000ish Founders there were. 2500ish voted

That is the only package numbers that we have and it is an estimate but a reliable one. It still speaks volume's as to the wan in population of this game.

Does it?

If I tell you that the average response rate on voluntary-response non-enticed surveys was below 5%, would you still think it speaks volumes?

Because it that average holds true for this poll, it means that 50,000 of the founders are still around. That's pretty damn good for a niche game over three years.

In short, you don't know. You believe - hell, you seem to WANT to believe - that the population is waning, that the game is failing, but you have no facts to support that belief.

The ONLY ones who have the facts are PGI, and they aren't telling.

#14 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

View Poststjobe, on 06 June 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

Does it?

If I tell you that the average response rate on voluntary-response non-enticed surveys was below 5%, would you still think it speaks volumes?

Because it that average holds true for this poll, it means that 50,000 of the founders are still around. That's pretty damn good for a niche game over three years.

In short, you don't know. You believe - hell, you seem to WANT to believe - that the population is waning, that the game is failing, but you have no facts to support that belief.

The ONLY ones who have the facts are PGI, and they aren't telling.

You're assuming alot

You Assume the voluntary response was less than 5%, Is it true, is it false who knows assumption (While the world wide average may be 5%, who is to tell for MWO?)

You assume based on your assumptions that 50,000 Founders are still around. I would love for that to be true. Sure the accounts are still there, but are they active?

You assume I want the game to fail, I do not

You assume I want the population to be waning, I do not.

You Assume PGI is the only ones with the facts, You are right. So why do they not do what other developers have done and put the in game population on their website for everyone one to see?

You have your beliefs I have mine. We both base them off the same thing. Your glass is half full, mine is half empty.

We are both on an island

Edited by Darian DelFord, 06 June 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#15 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:20 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 06 June 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:

You're assuming alot

No, I'm very carefully not assuming.

I asked you a question; would you still think the poll numbers "spoke volumes" about the general population if you not assumed some statistically unlikely response rate? Remember, to even know there was a poll you'd have to visit the forums.

Then I showed that a 5% response rate - which is good for unsolicited, voluntary, non-enticed survey responses - would mean a lot of founders are still here.

I did not say that that's how many founders are still active.

You have your beliefs I have mine. We both base them off the same thing.

No, it seems we don't.

I base mine off the only hard numbers we have; the Tukayyid player count, and the concurrent player number during that event that Russ tweeted. When I speculate, I am upfront with the fact that I'm speculating.

You're basing your numbers off an unknown response rate on a voluntary poll. And you're using loaded language in an effort to make your conclusion seem more relevant, when in fact it has no relevance.

The fact that 2,500 people out of an original population of 70,000 responded to a voluntary poll says next to nothing about how many of those 70,000 people are still active - not unless you know the response rate; and if you do, you already know how many are active.

We are both on an island

This we can agree on. I even have my cockpit item to remind me.

#16 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:45 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 06 June 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

That is the only package numbers that we have and it is an estimate but a reliable one. It still speaks volume's as to the wan in population of this game. We have no idea about any other package numbers that were sold. But one thing can be said about the Founders. We all cared about this game from Day 1 and we put our money where our mouth was and got crapped on almost from the 1st month on.

There is still a bitter taste with many of us. Look at your friends list. How many do you even see logged on. Probably 90% of my list stays greyed out with folks who have not been on in a ****'s age.

So yes while I will admit gladly that the founds poll is not an accurate representation. For those of us that remember the enthusiasim that we all had back then. It speaks volumes about the population of this game. Look at your Phoenix poll as well.

In Closed Beta we had a player online counter. It got yanked when the numbers started to steadily dropped. If PGI has nothing to hide why not put it up. Or at least put it on the website. Something to the effect of " **** " Currently Logged in and fighting for their Houses

Yea... I remember the Enthusiasim... still regret the fact I can not run MW: O back then or purchase a founders... occasionally looked over the forum and watched youtube.

I missed the days back when MacksCorner played MW: O without 95% of the video be ranting =C He was basicly the guy that got me into the game in a way, ofc I was gonna play either way but he was my main way to look into MW: O gameplay and was the only MW: O youtuber I found entertaining in terms of playing (TheB33f and fantastic Tuesday, I love you guys! But you're simply a different genre)

I still really want the Founders catapult so bad...

#17 LORD TSARKON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 776 posts
  • LocationButtmunch City

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:59 PM

View Poststjobe, on 06 June 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

Finally, we know that roughly 10-15% of the population regularly play CW, and that the Tukayyid event likely had a larger percentage of players than that.

You seemed plausible until you said that number.... unless the context was misunderstood...

There might be over 100,000 accounts (Same person with different accounts, troll accounts, banned accounts,ect)... but there as NEVER been over 100,000 players in this game EVER....

I would say maybe 100,000 players have tried the game from August 2012 to today(June 2015) in total....With TONS of First and LAST time players back in 2013-2014,ect... That I can see...

but never 100,000 players at the same time or period...

#18 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:05 PM

I'd say there's somewhere around 70,000 players right now.

#19 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:33 PM

MechWarrior has always been a niche fan base. All MMOs have a high level of player churn early on. Gamers can be a fickle bunch as they stew in their narcissistic pity party, deep in the bowels of their mother's basement that hangs heavy with the smell of flatulence, Hot Pockets, personal lubricants, skin mags and a few of mom's Lane Bryant catalogs pilfered from the mailbox.

Can you you imagine the player loses WoT, EVE, LoL has had in spite of their success. MWO is doing all right. PGI just needs to be smart about their next big push for new players and enticing old ones back.

Edited by CocoaJin, 06 June 2015 - 06:37 PM.

#20 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:53 PM

I'm not going to speculate about numbers, because I don't think we've got enough to work with to make an informed decision.

But I will say this: when I'm looking at the top 50 players in all the different categories from the tournaments these past few weekends, there's so many names I don't recognise. A year ago, or two years ago, I feel like I would be able to identify about 25% of the top ranked players in the tournaments.

I leave it up to the speculators whether this is a good or a bad sign. But it seems to me that the old guard is mostly gone or ignoring the tournaments and there's a lot of new players who are taking over. I don't know what things are like in CW, because I don't play it. But there's a lot of strangers in the public matches.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users