#61 Catra Lanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 09 June 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

being fed kills doesnt help. Its really hard to 'feed' people solo kills

It does indeed help. Say the same player play 20 matches solo and then he plays 20 matches with a group or at least a lance intent on helping him as much as they can. In which case do you think he will have better stats? No you can't orchestrate the details of every single match but over a number of matches it will show in the stats.

#62 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:04 AM

Pitiful rewards for wasting your weekend to stay in the top 50 with all the kill stealing and hiding going on (when enough team is not on and not wanting to do CW instead). I only played to get the 2x CBills. Earned about 18 million thanks to that. If I made top 50, meh.

Rewards
Mech Bay - Yeah, I can take a House contract for 7 days and get that.
Statue - Something in my cockpit that just sits there. No thanks.
1000 GXP - Again, House contract. Not enough to unlock anything. Can earn that in a day.
5X Consumables - Really?

How about Mech modules, MC, Warhorns, animated cockpit items, enough GXP to unlock a weapon module to level 5 (3500)?

#63 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 09 June 2015 - 08:19 AM, said:

It does indeed help. Say the same player play 20 matches solo and then he plays 20 matches with a group or at least a lance intent on helping him as much as they can. In which case do you think he will have better stats? No you can't orchestrate the details of every single match but over a number of matches it will show in the stats.

I actually think its harder to get the exceptional carry matches you need in a good group of people than it is in the solo queue. Remember, its not about consistency (which will of course be far higher in a good group), but about rare, exceptional games.

#64 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:13 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 09 June 2015 - 09:07 AM, said:

I actually think its harder to get the exceptional carry matches you need in a good group of people than it is in the solo queue. Remember, its not about consistency (which will of course be far higher in a good group), but about rare, exceptional games.

It's not about carrying. It's about the small things that add up. I've had exceptional games too but let's say you have 2 of them and the rest are average. If your team/lancemates leave a cored disarmed mech for you, id they leave the DC for you that's a solo kill right there, if they watch your back etc. If they before hand have decided to try and help you as much as circumstances allow it'll help, those remaining 8 games will be better on average than if you hadn't had the help and you'll climb, maybe not all the way to the top 10 but it will be an improvement.

Edited by Catra Lanis, 09 June 2015 - 09:14 AM.

#65 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:26 AM

I played the game way too much this weekend. I've been away from the game for a while and saw the cbill boost as a reason to come back, so I played a ton of games in the wang (that I got for the weekend).

Cbill gains have been nice, It's how it should be normally to be honest.

As for the rewards, I think they should give warhorns, 1 mechbay? Really?

View PostCatra Lanis, on 09 June 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

It's not about carrying. It's about the small things that add up. I've had exceptional games too but let's say you have 2 of them and the rest are average. If your team/lancemates leave a cored disarmed mech for you, id they leave the DC for you that's a solo kill right there, if they watch your back etc. If they before hand have decided to try and help you as much as circumstances allow it'll help, those remaining 8 games will be better on average than if you hadn't had the help and you'll climb, maybe not all the way to the top 10 but it will be an improvement.

The tournement required solo kills and kills most damage, leaving a cored mech for someone to finish off would do nothing for them. I highly doubt anyone that scored highly was hiding or leeching kills - you have to be hyper aggressive to get the damage required.

Edited by Axeface, 09 June 2015 - 09:28 AM.

#66 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:33 AM

I think including the group queue in the scoring was detrimental to solo players like me. I only had time to get my TDK enough matches to go from 3/8 basics to 3200 xp into mastery. So considering the mech was not mastered I did not expect to do that well, however, I wound up having some pretty solid games in it and remembered how fun (and frustrating) Commandos can be.

When I looked at the scoreboard, however, I was pretty shocked at the top scores for the TDK and some of the other mechs. There are two people with over 3000 points in the TDK, which I thought was very high even if they had played a ton of matches. I noticed there were a lot of people who had over 3,000 points in every chassis except the TDK (which only had two).

I went back and looked at the results from the last tourney where it was solo only http://mwomercs.com/...nts?t=201505plb. I did a quick comparison in Excel and in the latest tourney there were 88 people who scored over 3k points vs. 47 in the last solo only tourney. Nobody scored over 3k in the Lolcust 1V or GRF-1N. Every chassis in this tourney had at least one score over 3k.

The four mechs in the Resistance tourney (solo and group counted) also all had someone score over 3k in all of them with a total of 57 people topping 3k.

Just looking at these results looks like including the group queue in the scoring is inflating the score. Does this mean people are cheating? No, it does not, but it does make one wonder if people are being fed kills in the group queue.

I would like to see future tournaments count only solo queue drops, and I'd also like to see the results of a tourney that capped the drops counted at maybe 50 per chassis.

#67 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

Hero Mech ratings by top scores.

#1 - Ilya
#2 - Oxide, X-5
#4 - Heavy Metal
#5 - Wang
#6 - Fang
#7 - Pretty Baby, Flame
#9 - Death's Knell

All I had was the PB, placed about 70, made 50 once.
Seems like the past 2 days, some people just stopped and went back to their non-Hero favorites.

#68 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:01 AM

View PostLeiska, on 09 June 2015 - 04:37 AM, said:

I kind of assumed there would be something like this going on. I'd guess most played fairly, but when there is a way to game the system to your advantage, it's going to happen. Some of the leaderboards also have massive gaps between the 1st and 2nd place, which seems fishy to me, though I don't want to make any accusations based on pure speculation.

Still, this tournament seemed much more competitive than what I assume was the first open beta tournament back in the day. I think I made 4th in the assault mech category then (hadn't played this game for ages until recently), now I'm ~90th in the X-5, my hero mech of coice for this tournament. I guess the fact that I refuse to waste c-bills on consumables and my CDA isn't elited hurts my chances a bit.

I don't mind the hero mechs being a little underwhelming precisely because of the P2W factor. In some cases I do wish they were a bit more unique, though. The Huginn and Oxide are excellent hero mechs because they're so different from other Ravens/Jenners (and indeed other lights in general), but some other heroes, like the Ilya, are kind of bland and not too differentiated from the c-bill variants.

Except, you just named 2 of the ones that are considered fairly decent, especially the Hugin. I have seen a few posts requesting it's quirks be reduced. The Hugin, is actually not in the list.

But the Oxide, while OK is essentially a one trick pony (maybe 2 trick).

Don't get me wrong, I am still not looking for them to be uber, just competitive. After all what is the point of the extra C-Bill boost if you can take another variant and do enough better to make the bonus not relavant?

#69 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

View PostAxeface, on 09 June 2015 - 09:26 AM, said:

I played the game way too much this weekend. I've been away from the game for a while and saw the cbill boost as a reason to come back, so I played a ton of games in the wang (that I got for the weekend).

Cbill gains have been nice, It's how it should be normally to be honest.

As for the rewards, I think they should give warhorns, 1 mechbay? Really?

The tournement required solo kills and kills most damage, leaving a cored mech for someone to finish off would do nothing for them. I highly doubt anyone that scored highly was hiding or leeching kills - you have to be hyper aggressive to get the damage required.

No rdinary kills counted to. 2 solo kills and 1 kill is better than 2 solo kills.

#70 Murphy7

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:07 AM

I rather enjoyed the event - didn't place top 50 in any hero, but luckily for me it wasn't the point either - that 50% bonus C-bills plus cheap premium time meant a whole lot of C-Bills for my efforts - I probably cleared about 24 million in not a lot of game time - I played mostly on Saturday and not much otherwise. Of course, I spent about 18 million of it already on more modules and mech building, alas.

#71 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:59 AM

View PostLostdragon, on 09 June 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

Just looking at these results looks like including the group queue in the scoring is inflating the score. Does this mean people are cheating? No, it does not, but it does make one wonder if people are being fed kills in the group queue.

I would like to see future tournaments count only solo queue drops, and I'd also like to see the results of a tourney that capped the drops counted at maybe 50 per chassis.

I preferred dropping in smaller groups; it assured some competence as opposed to the chaos that is the PUG LIFE.

It allows you to carry better than the PUG LIFE, as long as you don't run into another larger, competent, group.

Lets you do things like this:
Posted Image

I wish he would have fed me kills, but I was a good little MechWarrior, and got them all on my own.
Much to the chagrin of the enemy.

Posted Image

I wonder how many Hackusations there have been this weekend.

In other news, don't stare at a Dual Gauss mech while walking in a straight line.

#72 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:38 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 09 June 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

Posted Image

I wonder how many Hackusations there have been this weekend.

In other news, don't stare at a Dual Gauss mech while walking in a straight line.

LOL I think I was in that match, or it's happened to you more than once. I thought it was pretty funny.

#73 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:43 PM

I played for 1 day and a half with my wang. ended up 32nd.
What i think of this leaderboard?

Well... first, i hate every single one of my teammates during the event.

the reason: no matter how hard you try to core an opponent, some teammate is always there to land the final shot. The wang does not output damage in a stream... it punches hard and slow.
That alone will strip you 30 points for the solo kill thingy... thats 300 points on a 10 game pool.

scoring system is still revolving around kills (its gotten worse than before).

before: you would have lost only 10 points when the kill was stolen from you. much closer competition.
now: its 30 points now. HUGE score difference even on equal gameplay levels. 30 points is the equivalent of 450 damage...wtf.

a 30 point difference on the final killing blow is hugely punishing. If i'm there to deal the most damage to an enemy, why should i be punished if a jenner jerk just steal the final shot (which does not even benefit him).

maybe i did not play long enough (for that epic game to come)... but i cant stand it. I'm a team player, i provide support, i cover my teammates.... i don't want to play like a jerk by intentionally blocking their line of fire and avoiding target locks.

Edited by Navid A1, 09 June 2015 - 01:44 PM.

#74 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:47 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 09 June 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

before: you would have lost only 10 points when the kill was stolen from you. much closer competition.
now: its 30 points now. HUGE score difference even on equal gameplay levels. 30 points is the equivalent of 450 damage...wtf.

a 30 point difference on the final killing blow is hugely punishing. If i'm there to deal the most damage to an enemy, why should i be punished if a jenner jerk just steal the final shot (which does not even benefit him).

It's only 10 points; Solo Kill is a Most Damage Dealt and a Killing Blow.

A kill is worth 10, a MDD is worth 10, a Solo Kill is worth 10.

All 3 is 30, a MDD and an Assist is 20.

Wrong info

Edited by Mcgral18, 09 June 2015 - 02:23 PM.

#75 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:06 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 09 June 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

It's only 10 points; Solo Kill is a Most Damage Dealt and a Killing Blow.

A kill is worth 10, a MDD is worth 10, a Solo Kill is worth 10.

All 3 is 30, a MDD and an Assist is 20.

I wish it was like that mcgral.
but i'm afraid it is not. I tested it. You get 60 points for a solo kill. 30 for a MDD and 10 for kill/assist.

would love a dev clarification though. Maybe i'm wrong or maybe its not working as intended.

i'll try to test it one more time in the next event.
thanks

Edited by Navid A1, 09 June 2015 - 02:11 PM.

#76 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 09 June 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

I wish it was like that mcgral.
but i'm afraid it is not. I tested it. You get 60 points for a solo kill. 30 for a MDD and 10 for kill/assist.

would love a dev clarification though. Maybe i'm wrong or maybe its not working as intended.

i'll try to test it one more time in the next event.
thanks

You're right

Pretty big blow then

#77 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 09 June 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

I preferred dropping in smaller groups; it assured some competence as opposed to the chaos that is the PUG LIFE.

It allows you to carry better than the PUG LIFE, as long as you don't run into another larger, competent, group.

I wish they'd do two leaderboards, one for solo and one for group. I just don't think counting the PUG queue with the group queue matches is good because it is such a different experience, but I understand people want to play in their groups for the tournament. I just think they should be separated or the tournaments should alternate between group and solo matches counting.

#78 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:26 PM

This tournament made me a better X-5 pilot and made me optimize its load out. Thats the biggest bonus. Also I racked up some nice c-bills.

Allowing group queue into the event was interesting.

Edited by Johnny Z, 09 June 2015 - 03:27 PM.

#79 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:30 PM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 09 June 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

Its really hard to 'feed' people solo kills

it's actually pretty easy
when you see that your teammate fights and is about to kill a damaged mech, don't shoot it yourself

#80 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:36 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 09 June 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

it's actually pretty easy
when you see that your teammate fights and is about to kill a damaged mech, don't shoot it yourself

You also need Most Damage Dealt, so that doesn't always work.

You need to vomit as much damage (to beat the other guy) as well as get the kill.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users